Ubuntu 18.04 to ship with Gnome Desktop, not Unity

patrick3027
16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

hmm do people really put sudo in front of every command in ubuntu? I came from Debian where i just log into root to do root things. Ubuntu, MacOS, *Windows are the only ones to do without a root account. Sudo is nice when you have more than one admin, but for a single user machine I just sudo -s to log into root on ubuntu

the chance of messing up something gets reduced, it's more along the lines of commands being the same no matter what user you're logged in as. It confuses a lot of people who aren't used to root (or wouldn't like to have to login as root/sudo -s everytime they want to update packages)

3 minutes ago, wowsers said:

the chance of messing up something gets reduced, it's more along the lines of commands being the same no matter what user you're logged in as. It confuses a lot of people who aren't used to root (or wouldn't like to have to login as root/sudo -s everytime they want to update packages)

sounds like we should have a compulsory course in arch linux for anyone to graduate high school. the world would be a wonderful place if i didnt have to explain what a zip file is. the negative side is i prob wouldnt have a job

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

sounds like we should have a compulsory course in arch linux for anyone to graduate high school. the world would be a wonderful place if i didnt have to explain what a zip file is. the negative side is i prob wouldnt have a job

well Ubuntu has been a newb OS for long (now we have mint for that), guess they didn't feel they don't need to change it back

1 minute ago, wowsers said:

well Ubuntu has been a newb OS for long (now we have mint for that), guess they didn't feel they don't need to change it back

My cousin uses mint and I dont care, im no mint fan, but i think all noobs should use something debian based because of the community base. I personally dont see what mint has that others dont, but its cool because thats what opensource is about; CHOICE!!!. Iv been using linux since '08. i still consider myself a noob everytime a server application is upgraded & I like systemd :P.

Iv used them all but i went to ubuntu when i bought a new 1060 GPU and i couldnt be arsed with debian's backports. Ubuntu has its place and when you get into the commercial side it is really good to have a CEO like Mark Shuttleworth throw his money at it. As an investor it really means a lot to have a CEO personally invest. Maybe when the next debian is released ill build a server off it but as long as Canonical commits to it's LTS; i'll be using Ubuntu for commercial reasons.

I will not be buying or recommending any Canonical backed OEM hardware because I have done this personally twice and they were both failures; might be why they dropped mir and phone to focus on IoT & ubuntu server.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

My cousin uses mint and I dont care, im no mint fan, but i think all noobs should use something debian based because of the community base. I personally dont see what mint has that others dont, but its cool because thats what opensource is about; CHOICE!!!. Iv been using linux since '08. i still consider myself a noob everytime a server application is upgraded & I like systemd :P.

Iv used them all but i went to ubuntu when i bought a new 1060 GPU and i couldnt be arsed with debian's backports. Ubuntu has its place and when you get into the commercial side it is really good to have a CEO like Mark Shuttleworth throw his money at it. As an investor it really means a lot to have a CEO personally invest. Maybe when the next debian is released ill build a server off it but as long as Canonical commits to it's LTS; i'll be using Ubuntu for commercial reasons.

I will not be buying or recommending any Canonical backed OEM hardware because I have done this personally twice and they were both failures; might be why they dropped mir and phone to focus on IoT & ubuntu server.

then we've used ubuntu for about the same time :P at least gpu drivers have gotten way better (well at least faster) support nowadays. And throwing up ubuntu servers on raspberry pi's is fun to do

24 minutes ago, wowsers said:

then we've used ubuntu for about the same time :P at least gpu drivers have gotten way better (well at least faster) support nowadays. And throwing up ubuntu servers on raspberry pi's is fun to do

r-pi :P i have the first one and the latest one. just toys. they dont teach electronics like they use to. the pre-cursor to GPIO was a printer parallel port & the dick smith books. you prob didnt get the dick smith books in the northern hemisphere. iv argued this heaps, why buy a r-pi when you can buy a parallel pot for 1/10th the price and achieve the same. when r-pi includes a ADC or DAC i will change my mind

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_