Ubuntu 18.04 to ship with Gnome Desktop, not Unity

patrick3027

praise the lord

although ... latest Gnome went into same direction as Unity copying W8's METRO crappy logic -_- trading one shit for the other

I'd be sticking with LXDE for as long as possible

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

praise the lord

although ... latest Gnome went into same direction as Unity copying W8's METRO crappy logic -_- trading one shit for the other

I am using Fedora 25 and gnome seems to work so much better than windows 8 metro or Ubuntu's unity.

It is a modern UI too but when you actually use it all those little accidental annoying things that happen with metro and unity don't happen. It actually helps you to stay productive.

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I am using Fedora 25 and gnome seems to work so much better than windows 8 metro or Ubunut's Unity.

It is a modern UI but when you use all those little annoying things that happen with metro and unity don't happen. It helps you to stay productive.

"modern"

how do I facepalm "modern"? -_-

as a Windows refugee I find LXDE (Lubuntu) and MATE (Mint) perfect, things are mostly where you expect them to be

although Lubuntu plans to switch to LXQt - hope they don't fuck it up

GNOME is [much] better than Unity anyways (IMO). So I'm glad to hear this. :)  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

as a Windows refugee I find LXDE (Lubuntu) and MATE (Mint) perfect, things are mostly where you expect them to be

Ya I understand I used to think the same. But then I tried Fedora 25 for a few days. That's just my experience...

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

"modern"

it does depend on how you use it yes, but thats the beauty of linux in my opinion, there is something for almost everyone. i do a lot of stuff via command line anyways so i don't mind the simplified interface that much, the essentials i use are still there and i can launch basic apps easily trough it.

but why? T-T

so it's decided then: wayland beat mir

i like Unity, sad to see it go. been using ever since ubuntu netbook remix back in 2010 on a 15" laptop. In this 7 years i saw it evolve and become more useful than gnome (not that was too hard after the introduction of gnome 3).

Sad to see Ubuntu Phone get dropped, it offered the best convergence concept.

Hopefully a team of aficionados fork Unity, cause Gnome is a no go, KDE is fugly, xfce is xfce (nothing against it, it's supposed to be a low hardware requirement DE and it does it well but it's not what i want. same for LXDE), cinnamon is too windows like, budgie with some work on it maybe

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I have a Unity desktop for my development vm at work but I run Gnome everywhere else. I'm glad they will actually be contributing (theoretically) back to the rest of the linux community. They have been missing that for a while now.

Also Ubuntu GNOME was a pain to use. Hopefully the full Gnome treatment under Ubuntu proper will be better.

Arch for life

Good riddance.

Ubuntu is among the last distros on the list when working on a Linux project. Getting rid of a Unity is a big step forward. 

GNOME will be my favourite desktop environment always and forever.

Heavily dated mac heathen who likes keeping up-to-date on PC stuff. - Currently multibooting macOS Sierra / Windows 7 Pro / KALI Linux (Rolling)

16 hours ago, 4klips said:

I am a windows user and I thought to try Ubuntu due to unity. I really like unity.

Ubuntu 16.04 is supported until april 2021, so more than time enough to try Unity out. 

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

13 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Ubuntu 16.04 is supported until april 2021, so more than time enough to try Unity out. 

Thanks

But please can you explain me why Unity is not good. And why many people don't like it? I am new to linux.

11 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

but why? T-T

i like Unity, sad to see it go. been using ever since ubuntu netbook remix back in 2010 on a 15" laptop. In this 7 years i saw it evolve and become more useful than gnome (not that was too hard after the introduction of gnome 3).

Hopefully a team of aficionados fork Unity, cause Gnome is a no go, KDE is fugly, xfce is xfce (nothing against it, it's supposed to be a low hardware requirement DE and it does it well but it's not what i want. same for LXDE), cinnamon is too windows like, budgie with some work on it maybe

Well you'd still have the option of using Untiy as far as I can tell.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, 4klips said:

Thanks

But please can you explain me why Unity is not good. And why many people don't like it? I am new to linux.

Unity isn't "not good". Like any advanced software that has a lot of competitors (especially free ones), it has its supporters, but I can say:

• It is a compromise UI between tactile and desktop, aimed to be used likewise on tablets, tactile laptops and more classic computers with keyboard and mouse (because at the time Unity was released, this marked of 2 in 1 and tablets was the next big thing, and is still competitive today).
    Same thing that Microsoft did with W8: a compromise between tactile and classic UI. I personally hate it as I don’t need at all the tactile features, and the Unity UI is neither practical on tactile nor on desktop. And the majority of users spoke and agreed with me apparently.

• It wasn’t well thought for beginners, which is a big target for Ubuntu. From the global search menu (where are my apps?) to the overall experience it was aimed to be user-friendly but was confusing for many users. Also it kept using Gnome2 elements for a while (even deprecated ones) until the Canonical team built replacements from scratch.

• It divided the Linux community, because it was released at the Gnome2 end of life (around 2010 iirc) as an alternative, but Linux folks love forking projects and they created Gnome2 forks in response to Unity (-> Cinnamon, MATE, Pantheon for ElementaryOS…). So instead of having to choose between Gnome 2, KDE and lighter, specific desktop environments for old computers, you now have a ton of confusing alternatives with overall less updates, less support and less quality.

tl;dr it was too much of a compromise between tactile and desktop (like W8), was confusing for beginners and divided the Linux community.

[Insert smart comment here]

I've been using Ubuntu Gnome since Ubuntu 13, never liked Unity and could never understand why they ditched Gnome in the first place.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I was really pissed.  I thought this was some mega-late April Fools joke. 

Giving up on Ubuntu Phone and Convergence is something I can understand. They weren’t gonna gain traction, not against the likes of Android and iOS on the mobile market, especially since Windows 10 Mobile is barely hanging on right now. However, giving up on Unity desktop is a heartbreaking move, especially for someone like me who’s a big fan of Unity. It’s even worse that they decided to use GNOME desktop, a desktop that I really despise. I would’ve prefered if they use Budgie or KDE. They’re MUCH better options.

Unity 8 was coming along great, too! I can see it being a great desktop, even if they remove all of the convergence stuff. It’s an environment perfect for desktops, laptop AND tablets. And none of the desktop environment I’ve seen would work well with tablets. Even if they give up on Unity 8, they could’ve improved Unity 7, making it more efficient, flexible and customizable. I would’ve loved to see Unity Tweak Tool and desktop widgets, like Plexydesk, fully integrated with Unity.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I hope Ubuntu as a whole can start to improve now that the workforces of Ubuntu internal and Ubuntu GNOME can share the load of development more (indirectly as the goals will start to overlap somewhat). I can see the reasoning to stop putting money on multiple different projects come from, it just doesn't work tip toeing into all imaginable things unless you have a practically infinite void of money like apple/google/microsoft.

Personally I might just start off from scratch again with my machine, a clean install after 3 years of messing around would be nice. I might even try to modify a GNOME shell ambiance like theme to look and work exactly like ambiance used to back in the Ubuntu 10.10 days, I really just wanted (and still want) something that looks like gnome 2, but with transparency and nice window borders...

On 4/5/2017 at 8:35 PM, zMeul said:

"modern"

lxqt is where it's at, it's what you'd expect from lxde but with a superior graphics library. The one big drawback of most des is the use of gtk in my opinion - it's outdated in many ways and in high dpi support in particular.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 hours ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I was really pissed.  I thought this was some mega-late April Fools joke. 

Giving up on Ubuntu Phone and Convergence is something I can understand. They weren’t gonna gain traction, not against the likes of Android and iOS on the mobile market, especially since Windows 10 Mobile is barely hanging on right now. However, giving up on Unity desktop is a heartbreaking move, especially for someone like me who’s a big fan of Unity. It’s even worse that they decided to use GNOME desktop, a desktop that I really despise. I would’ve prefered if they use Budgie or KDE. They’re MUCH better options.

Unity 8 was coming along great, too! I can see it being a great desktop, even if they remove all of the convergence stuff. It’s an environment perfect for desktops, laptop AND tablets. And none of the desktop environment I’ve seen would work well with tablets. Even if they give up on Unity 8, they could’ve improved Unity 7, making it more efficient, flexible and customizable. I would’ve loved to see Unity Tweak Tool and desktop widgets, like Plexydesk, fully integrated with Unity.

It's likely someone will fork unity and continue development independently, I don't think all hope is lost for unity fans. With that said, unity 8 is still a mess and it will take years to reach maturity if it ever does. Furthermore the DE is just one part of the equation - 99% of gnu/linux programs are unsuitable for a touchscreen only interface. There are multiple DEs that could work on a tablet with the right theming and configuration, but if the system as a whole still relies on terminal commands and keyboard shortcuts it's a no-go.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 4/5/2017 at 6:52 PM, suicidalfranco said:

but why? T-T

Yeah most of these problems are adressed in these videos:

Pretty interesting! (don't get mad it just talks about the things that suck about linux)

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

5 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Yeah most of these problems are adressed in these videos:

Pretty interesting! (don't get mad it just talks about the things that suck about linux)

Not mad at all, I'm subscribed to lunduke ;P

31 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It's likely someone will fork unity and continue development independently, I don't think all hope is lost for unity fans. With that said, unity 8 is still a mess and it will take years to reach maturity if it ever does. Furthermore the DE is just one part of the equation - 99% of gnu/linux programs are unsuitable for a touchscreen only interface. There are multiple DEs that could work on a tablet with the right theming and configuration, but if the system as a whole still relies on terminal commands and keyboard shortcuts it's a no-go.

Clearly you didn't saw the convergent terminal app in unity 8, could have become such a great tool even on phones, finally a terminal done right for touch based devices. Really sad to see it go :( Back to the inferior terminal emulator on android i guess 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

18 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Clearly you didn't saw the convergent terminal app in unity 8, could have become such a great tool even on phones, finally a terminal done right for touch based devices. Really sad to see it go :( Back to the inferior terminal emulator on android i guess 

that's what, one app? one app that most people don't even want to use? as great as it is it's not enough

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

that's what, one app? one app that most people don't even want to use? as great as it is it's not enough

Did you even looked at unity 8 page (if it is still up)? They'd remade almost every stock app and they all look fantastic.

Terminal was just an example (really really sad to see it go, should a default app on every phone under the sun)