AMD Ryzen driver package

NumLock21
6 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Windows 7 support. :D YUS. I heard so many times that Ryzen would not have it, but I kept my hopes up like a moron anyway, and I was actually rewarded!

I'm gonna wait for a while longer to see what happens with some BIOS updates and whatnot, but I'm so close to buying a 1700. I mean, 300ish$ for 8 cores, 16 threads, decent gaming performance, amazing productivity performance AND Windows 7 support? Well...

Reveal hidden contents

Same here. Win7 support + affordable powerful 8c/16t is awesome.

The gaming benchmarks are irrelevant to me, since any chip I can buy today would be better than my i7-950 for that purpose. Realistically, the 950 is only now starting to show its age noticeably enough to where I've started reading processor reviews (I grew up in the age of 30fps as 'good'). I play games maybe once a week, but do actual computer things much more often, so....this chip is a godsend for me. Should last me another 6 years like the 950 did.

1 minute ago, bimmerman said:

Same here. Win7 support + affordable powerful 8c/16t is awesome.

The gaming benchmarks are irrelevant to me, since any chip I can buy today would be better than my i7-950 for that purpose. Realistically, the 950 is only now starting to show its age noticeably enough to where I've started reading processor reviews. I play games maybe once a week, but do actual computer things much more often, so....this chip is a godsend for me. Should last me another 6 years like the 950 did.

Same boat I'm in, any current gen CPU would run circles around my poor old (shitty) 8320, so gaming performance just doesn't matter as much to me, it's all better than what I have right now. I hosts some game servers, run a VM or two, edit video and even stream every once in awhile, so all those threads will be amazing for me, I do way more than just gaming. :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Interesting. Now more tests to be done.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Yeah, I'm really trolling.

8af7febb95339fe73a78aa727a2f0b9e.png

Glad to know an i3 performs better than a 329$ 8 core CPU in CPU intensive games.

But please, let's blame "mahh win10 drivers" xD

I mean, if you turn off SMT, you get drastically better minimum frames. Granted, one shouldn't have to disable one of the CPU's main selling points to get a better experience.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Glad to know an i3 performs better than a 329$ 8 core CPU in CPU intensive games.

how the fuck is a 1% low framerate lower by 15.4 FPS better?

4 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

how the fuck is a 1% low framerate lower by 15.4 FPS better?

Because he's an idiot.

Not only is the R7 1700 clocked lower, this test would imply one of two things: Total Warhammer is super dopey or the R7 1700 can whip the i3's ass in single core performance. I'm going to guess the former, though. Like how is the 6900K reaching the 7600K? Or why is the 5.1GHz OC'd i7 showing very minimal gains in average framerate (I will acknowledge that it has better minimum framerates though)?

Something odd with that test. May be better to test the CPUs with a Source engine game, to be honest.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Clearly?

It's not clear. There's no real evidence to suggest that's true. While I do agree with you and that the scheduler along with optimizations are the most likely reason, you should be a little careful about that word since it's not "clear," just a guess. ;)

True, but I genuinely believe (mostly:P) everyone here understands that while this is all guesswork, the correlation cannot be ignored and understand what I meant by saying "clear" :P

5 hours ago, TechGod said:

ONE GAME and clearly the scheduler IS to blame. Jesus. You're insane. Onto my ignore list you go. 

Lol ofcourse it's just one game, but you're missing the point.

Look at all of the other benchmarks. The i5 7600k is far better for gaming and you can get it for around 200$, compared to the 329$ (1700). I thought AMD was budget orientated though? For workstation builds, probably. But if you are strictly gaming, the i5 will be much better and cheaper. Intel is actually a budget version and outperforms the Ryzen in gaming, that's how bad it is.

AMD should have released the R5 chips along side the R7. But why not? Because AMD is greedy, taking advantage of vulnerable people like myself, and others who don't want to "wait". Too bad, I'm not going down the rabbit hole with them.

The R5 chips will perform probably even better than the R7 in gaming as they POTENTIALLY might even achieve higher clock speeds. One reason why AMD probably didn't want to release those now, as reviewers "will just be like WTF, the R5 performs just as good for gaming, no reason to buy the R7 for gaming!" which would lower their sales.

Good thing objective reviewers like Gamers Nexus and others don't tuck their tails in the whole "mahh win10 patches!" bologna people are spewing to make themselves feel better. 

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because he's an idiot.

Not only is the R7 1700 clocked lower, this test would imply one of two things: Total Warhammer is super dopey or the R7 1700 can whip the i3's ass in single core performance. I'm going to guess the former, though. Like how is the 6900K reaching the 7600K? Or why is the 5.1GHz OC'd i7 showing very minimal gains in average framerate (I will acknowledge that it has better minimum framerates though)?

Something odd with that test. May be better to test the CPUs with a Source engine game, to be honest.

Yeah, so if you don't agree with someone you have to call them inflammatory names. You're also wrong, the i5 7600k still out performs the Ryzen in gaming (and is 130$ cheaper..). That s/s was just showing how the i3 was ahead IN 1 game, which I thought was funny. But please, continue to flame people, that really increases your credibility.

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

6 hours ago, Urishima said:

So will this fix the borked IMMOU grouping?

No, as far as I know.

You need UEFI updated for that.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Citadelen said:

The Windows 10 patches are nothing to laugh at, you could easily be looking at a minimum of a 10% improvment in gaming performance just from patching the scheduler. How people expected something as radically different to what AMD has been producing for the last five years to not have teething problems is quite frankly deranged. Give it three to six months to smooth out. Need I remind you of X99s launch fiascos?

Source on "minimum of a 10% improvement"?

Again, the Bulldozer patch that people expected to magically fix all the performance issues ended up only providing a 1-2% performance increase (according to AMD themselves) in best case scenarios.

That patch did the same thing as people want this Windows 10 patch to do (change so that the scheduler don't put multiple threads on the same core).

People need to stop setting their expectations so ridiculously high all the time.

You have no idea how this scheduler patch (which I have not heard anything about from AMD nor Microsoft) will affect performance. That 10% number was just grabbed out of thin air.

11 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Nice but does it actually affect the BENCHMARKS 

Not likely since the fixes for the issues at hand will need to come in the form of updates to Windows not chipset drivers, this might help but not much.

The 6900k performs worse in games than the i7700k in games, but nobody is saying that it's a bad CPU.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

8 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because he's an idiot.

The launch of Ryzen brought on a slew of retesting of games, which really helped show one thing conclusively: every game engine is freaking weird.

The reality is that there isn't such as thing as a strict CPU or GPU bottleneck.  Every CPU & GPU has multiple different bottlenecks that can develop at various timings, frequencies, states and interactions.  This is why the first round of 1800X testing really needed the reviewers to step back and go "the numbers don't make sense on the same scale as Intel chips; we simply don't have the information right now".  But we don't live in an age or culture that generally goes that way right now.

54 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The launch of Ryzen brought on a slew of retesting of games, which really helped show one thing conclusively: every game engine is freaking weird.

The reality is that there isn't such as thing as a strict CPU or GPU bottleneck.  Every CPU & GPU has multiple different bottlenecks that can develop at various timings, frequencies, states and interactions.  This is why the first round of 1800X testing really needed the reviewers to step back and go "the numbers don't make sense on the same scale as Intel chips; we simply don't have the information right now".  But we don't live in an age or culture that generally goes that way right now.

Amen. Whatever happened to research methodology? Do only the sciences force us to undergo that in school?

11 hours ago, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

Haven't you heard , Total Warhammer is the be-all-end-all of all benchmarks. And that 6900k for 1000 dollars is performing worse than the 7700k , all the people who bought a 6900k must be feeling like complete idiots that a chip for 3 times less is offering more fps.

I know you were being sarcastic, but the 7700k does win in a very big amount of games compared to the 6900k, it's laughable how many games still only use a few threads.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

12 hours ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Yet overall its performance is near a i5 7600K once you consider more than one game. Also look at the minimums...the i3 is clearly worse.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

WTF is going on here??? Ever since Zen came out, all the fanboy crap had gotten worse. Many of these threads have gone from informative discussions to God damned armature hour.

26 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

WTF is going on here??? Ever since Zen came out, all the fanboy crap had gotten worse. Many of these threads have gone from informative discussions to God damned armature hour.

You think this is bad? r/AMD is a proper trash-fire right now. A whole mountain of trash, on fire.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

12 hours ago, MageTank said:

I mean, if you turn off SMT, you get drastically better minimum frames. Granted, one shouldn't have to disable one of the CPU's main selling points to get a better experience.

And lets not ignore that the 1700 gets better minimum frame rates than every Intel CPU it goes against.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

-snip-

One needs only look at the performance improvement you can get from disabling SMT or running Windows 7. 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

25 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

And lets not ignore that the 1700 gets better minimum frame rates than every Intel CPU it goes against.

Wow. Minimums have never been an AMD thing. Till now.

kek 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

The 6900k performs worse in games than the i7700k in games, but nobody is saying that it's a bad CPU.

It helps that a 6900k was never marketed as a gaming chip. Also, no one with an ounce of intelligence is saying Ryzen is a bad cpu -- just that there are better choices for gaming and that there are currently issues that people shouldn't just "expect" to be fixed yielding a massive performance increase.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Are you telling me they are releasing the Windows 7 drivers that supposedly weren't going to exist?

I think they meant AMD Tech support. I would imagine that the drivers and software would still be made windows 7 compatible, but their support team may not specialize in troubleshooting on 7 anymore... Just a guess.... The only thing is that they may not be able to help after, uninstall drivers, clean viruses, clean junk, restart, install drivers again.

Whereas with windows 10 they may know more specifically what the issues might be and are actually fixing them. They also might focus majority of their patches with windows 10 issues and bugs and only work out major 7 bugs like bsod or something.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It helps that a 6900k was never marketed as a gaming chip. Also, no one with an ounce of intelligence is saying Ryzen is a bad cpu -- just that there are better choices for gaming and that there are currently issues that people shouldn't just "expect" to be fixed yielding a massive performance increase.

People are also forgetting that, unless you are trying to drive a massive refresh rate, or are playing an antiquated MMO, CPU performance in gaming isn't that big of a deal these days. Chances are, if you have Haswell or higher IPC, you are having a great experience.

Ryzen isn't bad. The 1700x and 1800x make no sense to me, given how they all OC exactly the same with the exact same underlying features, they still offer great overall value when you factor in their price:performance. Does that mean Ryzen will be for everyone? Not at all. Gaming-only consumers are still going to want an i5 or i7 for those blistering fast cores to drive high refresh rates. Consumers that do more than just gaming, might like the additional lifting power that Ryzen offers for relatively the same price as a consumer i7, and won't mind sacrificing 10-20% of their framerate for upwards of 50% more lifting power in specific applications. 

It's IMC still sucks, and it has a serious issue with SMT at the moment, but all in all, it's not a bad CPU for the cost. Anyone pretending it's better than a 7700k at gaming is simply delusional though. Blame AMD's marketing on that one. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.