NVIDIA Unveils GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB Graphics Card: Available March 5th for $699

HKZeroFive

Very nice to finally see NVidia drop that horrid DVI port. It blocked airflow and made single slot water cooling impossible. I guess @LinusTech won't have to use an angle grinder on his NVidia cards anymore xD. AMD did this forever ago, but better late than never. I mean DVI is from 1999 after all.

Vapour chamber looks sweet. I really hope AMD ups their game with their reference cards. Especially on the VRM and cooling (noise).

Then we have the 11GB. OMFG it's 970 all over again. I guess the card has 12GB of vram on board, but instead of the 3.5+0.5, they just chose not to use the last single GB, instead of running half speed. Probably a good idea, but what a strange number.

All in all, nothing too surprising here. It's a Titan X, cut down a little, and overclocked a little and at a cheaper price. Hardly groundbreaking, but koth none the less.

I still look forward to Vega, as that seems to be a huge innovative leap forward.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the FE is 699$ or the MSRP?!

because we know what a shit show the previous scheme was .. -_-

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

very good from NVidia

pathetic stuff from AMD. The 1080 has been out for so long, and now it is even being eclipsed and price cut all before vega...

9 minutes ago, Humbug said:

very good from NVidia

pathetic stuff from AMD. The 1080 has been out for so long, and now it is even being eclipsed and price cut all before vega...

here's a T-Shirt xD

AMD really shit the bed with that meeting; seriously what the fuck are they thinking

17 minutes ago, zMeul said:

?!?!??!

You know what the S stands for don't you? :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

They've probably been stockpiling the failed TXs with 1GB VRAM failed since release and just decided to chuck them onto the market as '1080 Ti'

nope, can't be, the 1080ti's use the new Micron g5x ram vs the old g5x ram on the titan xp that couldn't clock as high, that was one of the bullet points of the event.

Colour me impressed. I wasn't expecting NVIDIA to go and not only drop the price (whether they actually do drop as much as they are supposed to is a different matter) of the 1080, but also to announce the TI with that price. Yeah sure, it is still bloody expensive, but I have to say, Im positively surprised.

Whether this was done because NVIDIA wants to prepare for Vega's launch and it possibly disrupting or something, I don't know, but hey it is good for the consumer regardless.

It is interesting to see whether these price drops actually happen as they should, especially across the pond, but if they do, there might be some interesting decisions to be made. If AMD doesn't hurry up (I know projected launch is probably in June???), I'm sure there are quite a few people now thinking, do I wait still or just go and buy either 1080 or 1080 TI.

53 minutes ago, Humbug said:

very good from NVidia

I disagree. AMD's event was not a product launch. It was an event at GDC for the game devs out there. Sure you had interesting news about Vega tech, but most of it was targeted towards the devs themselves.

I don't think Vega is out to compete with Pascal. It's either going to compete with Volta or be it's own gen inbetween. Guess it depends on when Volta and Navi launches.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So I guess Titans didnt sell as well ?

This price is shocking onlu because how much 1080 and Titan launched for.

11GB ?! Did they use random.org ?

1070 price drop too ?

Kudos to Nvidia for correct pricing at last :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm pretty sure people who bought a Titan knew what they were getting into. Same reason why anyone buys Intel's $1000+ processors.

But aren't those $1000+ CPUs actually worth using for those that do things to take proper advantage of the added cores and whatever else they have?

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

It's just 12 with one block disabled.

That's how most lower tiers of electronic components are made.

Just like an i3 is an i5 with 2 cores disabled.

That's stupid though.  If there's 12 give us 12.  Otherwise just give us 10 so it's not an odd number.  I HATE ODD NUMBERS!  ? ?

11 minutes ago, Thony said:

So I guess Titans didnt sell as well ?

This price is shocking onlu because how much 1080 and Titan launched for.

11GB ?! Did they use random.org ?

1070 price drop too ?

Kudos to Nvidia for correct pricing at last :)

Yeah I don't like the 11GB thing.  Is an even numbered amount of VRAM too much to ask for?!  

My OCD related hatred of odd numbers is being hardcore triggered right now.  ? lol

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

I can hear the salty tears of every Titan X owner in the sidelines

I mean, it's validated tears at this point.

I'm more interested in what AMD's HBCC does. Cause the preview was pretty sweet and if true, it will have a significant impact on cost of GPUs.

PS: For those who dont know, apparently games only use 25-50% of allocated vram, High Bandwidth Cache Controler promesses to improve that to near 100% utilization vs allocated. They did that by doing a demo of Deus Ex with a Vega GPU using only 2 GB of Vram for a resolution of 4k, with HBC Off, it was choppy AF, with HBC On, it was fluid.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

PS: For those who dont know, apparently games only use 25-50% of allocated vram, High Bandwidth Cache Controler promesses to improve that to near 100% utilization vs allocated. They did that by doing a demo of Deus Ex with a Vega GPU only using 2 GB of Vram for a resolution of 4k, with HBC Off, it was choppy AF, with HBC On, it was noticeably more fluid.

Hm - it's like RAM compression in the old days. 

idk

fingers crossed i can get around £450 for my FE 1080 eh. cheap that 1080ti, i was expecting another hundred or 2

Now a company can finally make the "but this one goes to 11" joke.

:D 

Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, the most exalted object which we are capable of conceiving, namely, the production of the higher animals, directly follows. There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.

58 minutes ago, Notional said:

I disagree. AMD's event was not a product launch. It was an event at GDC for the game devs out there. Sure you had interesting news about Vega tech, but most of it was targeted towards the devs themselves.

I don't think Vega is out to compete with Pascal. It's either going to compete with Volta or be it's own gen inbetween. Guess it depends on when Volta and Navi launches.

I wasn't referring to the events.

But the overall market situation in the high end; The gtx 1070 & 1080 have been out for so long without competition. They have sold loads over a period of time, and now NVidia is cutting their prices and releasing an even faster GPU.

All this while the market hypes Vega further... Also from what AMD has shown us the Vega performance is underwhelming so far, after all this time it should destroy the gtx 1080. I know and hope vega performance will get a lot better by launch, but it was AMD who decided to show the doom vulkan demo so they felt it was close enough to demonstrate. And now Raja is on stage talking about how vega will be priced cheaply. Not good signs.

as far as 2017 is concerned for AMD I expect Ryzen to thrill and vega to disappoint.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

You know what the S stands for don't you? :P

mate, your post is empty

that's why I didn't understood

O29k1k5.png

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I wasn't referring to the events.

But the overall market situation in the high end; The gtx 1070 & 1080 have been out for so long without competition. They have sold loads over a period of time, and now NVidia is cutting their prices and releasing an even faster GPU.

All this while the market hypes Vega further... Also from what AMD has shown us the Vega performance is underwhelming so far, after all this time it should destroy the gtx 1080. I know and hope vega performance will get a lot better by launch, but it was AMD who decided to show the doom vulkan demo so they felt it was close enough to demonstrate. And now Raja is on stage talking about how vega will be priced cheaply. Not good signs.

as far as 2017 is concerned for AMD I expect Ryzen to thrill and vega to disappoint.

Ah yeah, that's true. Although the 1080ti is basically a rebrand of the TitanX. The point is that no one actually needs to buy these GPU's. I think the entire 1000 series has been overpriced, but the 1060 has been held in check by a very competitive 480. Rest has been way overpriced due to a lack of competition. However the notion that AMD and NVidia has to launch as the same tie is a bit misplaced. If Vega turns out to be much faster than Pascal, but slower than Volta, it will be an "inbetween" product. Does that now mean NVidia is too slow?

Well the problem is with NVidia is the same as Intel: Lack of competition on the high end has made 1000$ CPU's seem normal priced, and people are then calling it cheap then it's lowered to 800$, when in fact it's overpriced at both price points. Most consumers simply won't buy that expensive hardware. On a tech forum like this, 1080 users, for instance, will be highly overrepresented, thus skewing our view on the actual market.

Personally I don't think the high end cards should be 600$ or more.

As for Vega, it's not just one card, it's the next gen. So that could cover a larger price interval, say 300-500$. That would not be an issue for me. NVidia is price gouging the frack out of Pascal, and people are more than willing to throw their money away. That's their prerogative, but it's hardly good for the market as a whole.

The way I see it, AMD is pushing the entire market forward, where NVidia is just price gouging it. A Titan X card, might give a lot of marketing points as a koth card, but in reality, such an expensive card, is utterly useless for the market.

A smart move by Nvidia, especially when everyone and their dog (myself included) will be building brand new Ryzen rigs.

Look forward to a glut of Ryzen + 1080/1080TI builds soon. I might honestly be among them, as I've waited just about long enough for Vega.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

Ah yeah, that's true. Although the 1080ti is basically a rebrand of the TitanX. The point is that no one actually needs to buy these GPU's. I think the entire 1000 series has been overpriced, but the 1060 has been held in check by a very competitive 480. Rest has been way overpriced due to a lack of competition. However the notion that AMD and NVidia has to launch as the same tie is a bit misplaced. If Vega turns out to be much faster than Pascal, but slower than Volta, it will be an "inbetween" product. Does that now mean NVidia is too slow?

Well the problem is with NVidia is the same as Intel: Lack of competition on the high end has made 1000$ CPU's seem normal priced, and people are then calling it cheap then it's lowered to 800$, when in fact it's overpriced at both price points. Most consumers simply won't buy that expensive hardware. On a tech forum like this, 1080 users, for instance, will be highly overrepresented, thus skewing our view on the actual market.

Personally I don't think the high end cards should be 600$ or more.

As for Vega, it's not just one card, it's the next gen. So that could cover a larger price interval, say 300-500$. That would not be an issue for me. NVidia is price gouging the frack out of Pascal, and people are more than willing to throw their money away. That's their prerogative, but it's hardly good for the market as a whole.

The way I see it, AMD is pushing the entire market forward, where NVidia is just price gouging it. A Titan X card, might give a lot of marketing points as a koth card, but in reality, such an expensive card, is utterly useless for the market.

Wasn't the Fury X MSRPing for like $650 on launch? Is there a reason why you think the next AMD flagship will be significantly cheaper, in that $300-500 range?

(Also, off-topic question, but you seem to be a Freesync Ultrawide aficionado from my lurking on Reddit - assuming that Notional there is you - do you have an opinion of Acer XR341CK vs Samsung C34F791? Not sure whether IPS or quantum dot VA is better...)

1 minute ago, Phentos said:

A smart move by Nvidia, especially when everyone and their dog (myself included) will be building brand new Ryzen rigs.

Look forward to a glut of Ryzen + 1080/1080TI builds soon. I might honestly be among them, as I've waited just about long enough for Vega.

Yeah, I agree. I think AMD is/ has taken way too long to release Vega. Like I said in my earlier post there is only so long people are willing to wait, especially if they are itching for a new build or new hardware in general. And like you said, with Ryzen, people will be building new rigs like mad, so they all need a GPU to go with it (unless you already have that sorted obviously).

I'm perfectly fine with my GTX 970 at the moment, but every now and then that itch raises its head and I feel like getting a new GPU (especially when a new product is launched that fits the bill). But my rational side (damn sensibleness :D) comes into play and says, wait for Vega and see what it is going to be like and for what price. However, if AMD truly takes until end of June, I might have decided; fuck it and go for 1080 or TI, both good upgrades for me, hell, even 1070 would be ok, I guess.

when it's actually 10.5GB.

It's the GTX 970 all over again folks 9_9

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, outercry said:

Yeah, I agree. I think AMD is/ has taken way too long to release Vega. Like I said in my earlier post there is only so long people are willing to wait, especially if they are itching for a new build or new hardware in general. And like you said, with Ryzen, people will be building new rigs like mad, so they all need a GPU to go with it (unless you already have that sorted obviously).

I'm perfectly fine with my GTX 970 at the moment, but every now and then that itch raises its head and I feel like getting a new GPU (especially when a new product is launched that fits the bill). But my rational side (damn sensibleness :D) comes into play and says, wait for Vega and see what it is going to be like and for what price. However, if AMD truly takes until end of June, I might have decided; fuck it and go for 1080 or TI, both good upgrades for me, hell, even 1070 would be ok, I guess.

I have a Fury, but I want to make the jump to 4K this year. Fury doesn't cut it for 4K gaming.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.