NVIDIA Unveils GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB Graphics Card: Available March 5th for $699

HKZeroFive

For nvidea to release 1980 ti as the full titan they are afraid to lose the perf crown which is good

11 minutes ago, Scionyde said:

Wasn't the Fury X MSRPing for like $650 on launch? Is there a reason why you think the next AMD flagship will be significantly cheaper, in that $300-500 range?

(Also, off-topic question, but you seem to be a Freesync Ultrawide aficionado from my lurking on Reddit - assuming that Notional there is you - do you have an opinion of Acer XR341CK vs Samsung C34F791? Not sure whether IPS or quantum dot VA is better...)

Yes it was, but you have to factor in the additional cost of including a CLC on that card. Compare it to EVGA or MSI's NVidia cards with included CLC, and you will notice a 1-200$ price premium (mostly the latter). So a Fury X with an air cooler, could have been sold for say 550$ and still have the same profit margin.

Based on what @Humbug said, it seems like Raja claims Vega is going for a cheaper price. If that is true, a 3-500$ price interval is not unrealistic. But of course, it depends on the amount of SKU's we will see. If we get 2 chips resulting in 4 SKUS, it could be 3-600$ instead.

Great question. I don't have an ultrawide myself, but it's definitely going to be a curved ultrawide, the next monitor I get. Sadly right now, there is no perfect monitor with freesync. XR341CK is one of the best due to the 30-75hz interval (thus supporting LFC), but it uses an old panel now. I was really excited for the CF791, but alas, it suffers heavily from flicker around the late 40 hz, and it's only 8 bit (should have been HDR). So I'm holding on to my money, as monitors of that caliber are expensive, and tends to be used for 5 years (or more). Hopefully we will see some curved ultrawide freesync 2 monitors this year (Freesync 2 being large interval, enough for LFC, so max being at least 2-2.5x of min hz, as well as HDR). When all the panel manufacturers can make that happen for cheap 100hz tv's, there's no reason why they can't for monitors this year. But right now it's all about compromises (both for freesync and for pros and cons of IPS and QDVA).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

For nvidea to release 1980 ti as the full titan they are afraid to lose the perf crown which is good

Except it ISNT a full titan. It is cut down. Please READ the spec sheet. Can be found here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11172/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-next-week-699

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Except it ISNT a full titan. It is cut down. Please READ the spec sheet. Can be found here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11172/nvidia-unveils-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-next-week-699

Well the amount of CUDA cores is the same as Titan X. It's only the VRAM interface, that's cut down (970 says hi).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

it doesnt appear to be a mjor cutdown minus 8 rops and 1GB less memory unless im missing something?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Founder's Editions only through NVIDIA? Hmm, just like the Titan X. Which means they won't sell or ship to Ireland at all.

Any idea when the 3rd party cooled versions of the Ti will be out then? Although honestly if NVIDIA weren't complete asshats with the Titan X regional sales I'd have had one since its release.

Might as well wait longer to see what AMD does.

Interestingly enough, them partnering with Bethesda is cool. They use to be an NVIDIA partner for the most part. Should be nice to see what they can do, given how well they worked with them and id on Doom.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

Well the amount of CUDA cores is the same as Titan X. It's only the VRAM interface, that's cut down (970 says hi).

ROPs are cut down, memory bus is cut down, memory amount is cut down.

6 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

it doesnt appear to be a mjor cutdown minus 8 rops and 1GB less memory unless im missing something?

Finally someone that can read!!!

Just now, Valentyn said:

Founder's Editions only through NVIDIA? Hmm, just like the Titan X. Which means they won't sell or ship to Ireland at all.

Any idea when the 3rd party cooled versions of the Ti will be out then? Although honestly if NVIDIA weren't complete asshats with the Titan X regional sales I'd have had one since its release.

Interestingly enough, them partnering with Bethesda is cool. They use to be an NVIDIA partner for the most part. Should be nice to see what they can do, given how well they worked with them and id on Doom.

use a shipping forwarder?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Ireland. They wont sell or ship to half of europe and Asia... The idiocy of Nvidias online store is simply i dont even... They sell to denmark, germany, UK, Italy and spain. But not portugal, Sweden, Norway, Luxemburg, Poland, Switzerland, Belgium or Netherlands.... WAA? those are right next to the places they sell. and Schengen means FREE FUCKING TRADE... so if they can sell to germany, they can sell to all the countries i listed... (Norway is not part of EU, but part of the Schengen trade agreement. So same trade agreements apply, mostly)

4 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

and rack up incredible amounts of extra cost. Some shipping forwarders in EU refuses to forward orders over a certain value without a hefty insurance on the shipping. Thus that 699$ GPU is gonna cost you like 799-899$, making the whole deal stupid AF

4 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Too late to the market, again.

Seeing the trends, those cards will probably cost something in the range of 800-900$, which remains pricey +and the reason why people will keep on waiting for Vega. Nvidia has the habit of having their cards not hitting close to their mrsp with this Gen alone.

9 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

They Block all sales since my credit cards, and paypal address are in Ireland.

I can't even buy one due to those limitations; otherwise I would have. Only solution is to bank transfer money to a friend in the UK or Germany, and have them buy it on their respective shops; then also have them ship it to me after they receive it.

That's far too much hassle and chances of issues; NVIDIA simply didn't want the money from many countries.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

52 minutes ago, Notional said:

However the notion that AMD and NVidia has to launch as the same tie is a bit misplaced. If Vega turns out to be much faster than Pascal, but slower than Volta, it will be an "inbetween" product. Does that now mean NVidia is too slow?

if Vega is much faster than the 1080ti and nvidia is unable to respond for a whole year then yes it means Nvidia was too slow.

that's what happened to AMD in the high end GPU market.

20 minutes ago, Prysin said:

ROPs are cut down, memory bus is cut down, memory amount is cut down.

Yes, and ROPS are part of the Vram interface like I said. I honestly doubt the Memory is cut down, it's only the connection to it that is. Unless it literally uses 11x1GB modules, which is not unlikely, but still odd.

6 minutes ago, Humbug said:

if Vega is much faster than the 1080ti and nvidia is unable to respond for a whole year then yes it means Nvidia was too slow.

That can only be done if you either sit on cards, ready to ship, or if the cards are just simple iterations of previous archs. Any huge innovational changes in these GPU arch takes time. Let's for the argument, say that high end Vega will be 20-30% faster than 1080ti. NVidia would have nothing to combat with until Volta, unless they make some frankenstein Pascal chip with bolted on CUDA clusters.

Being 100% competitive and synchronized with SKU's in this advanced market simply isn't realistic. However I do agree that AMD has been taking their sweet time. But Vega isn't just some iteration of Fiji, but a ground up redesign like Ryzen. We've seen the advancements made in 480 (tessellation alone ie.). Vega will be more than that, and it takes time. If people don't like NVidia's price gouging meanwhile, they can just vote with their wallets.

56 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Well it's not that simple to say one company is too slow. GPU design takes time, no two ways about it. There is no rapid response other than lowering prices of existing product. You either have both releasing architectures at the same time in the same performance tier or you have them doing it at different times and leap frogging.

The second option is actually the better business choice for AMD as they aren't directly competing day 1 or within the first 2 months meaning they don't have to lower launch prices. AMD in my view took the smart approach by deliberately not releasing new high end architecture at the same time as Nvidia and went middle ground, resulting in a ~7% market share gain.

Now Vega is due out soon and Nvidia is not releasing a new architecture any time soon so there is no great risk to AMD. Nvidia has also been smart and purposefully timed 1080 Ti to fall right near Vega, great move business wise, but isn't a large risk to AMD as they already know what the architecture is and can do.

This isn't saying that Vega will be faster than the 1080 Ti either, what it allows AMD to do is design a product that is similar for less if fabrication technology just isn't there to do faster architecture in a meaningful or cost effective way.

If we say development cycles are 4 years you could have both releasing at the same time or stagger and have 2 year gaps. For AMD staggering is better but for Nvidia aligning to the same time is better; they have the higher market share, they have more marketing $$, they have better brand appeal. It is within Nvidia's interest to release products competing with AMD at the same time as they will win out.

If the market share was closer to 50/50 AMD would also want to time their releases with Nvidia, it is only beneficial while they are at a significant deficit to Nvidia.

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

Nah, they have 1 extra GB of vram.

More importantly, we've been enjoying our cards for a year while everyone else has been waiting for the 1080Ti to ship.  No salt or tears here.  :-)

Enjoy your Ti cards.  I've been thoroughly enjoying my two Titans.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

6 hours ago, Droidbot said:

They fucked over Maxwell TX owners with the 980Ti, they knew this shit was gonna happen again

But they didn't.  This is such a ridiculous statement and stance to take; it reeks of ignorance.  Yes, the Ti was a fast card.  But again: the Titan X (Maxwell) existed longer, and was easily overclocked to ass-kicking levels.

Been there, done that, had 2 of them, and didn't regret a thing.

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I'm more salty that it's MSRPing' for the same price as a GTX 1080 FE and within $50 of what I paid for my 1080 SC, and theoretically it should be 40% faster.

I haven't seen that crap since the 8800 GT.

EDIT: That 1080 FE price looks like a typo. I'm pretty sure it was $650.

im salty that the 1080's price is going to drop to $499 just $50 more than what i paid for my 1070.

i have now learned a valuable lesson buy a GPU when thy release every single card in the lineup first

What a moan wave regarding Titan and 11GB of RAM... Seriously lads? You get more RAM, decent price and stellar performance. 11GB is only applicable to OCD affected in my opinion. For the rest this is sweet bump in RAM compared to 1080. And all for same price. Nice!

As for Titan... Feels a bit like comparing Xeon and Intel Extreme CPUs with i5/i7 counterparts. They both have their user base and both are priced accordingly. People that bought them and Titan for that matter were either in need for one to drive their workload or spoiled rotten to game at highest settings and simply to have it just because. You got Titan, it was the best. You kind of still have the best GPU. Wasn't that the intention for your purchase?

6 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Titan X owners got screwed over hard. 

I Dont think anyone who buys a titan x is expecting any Value or understanding that what there buying is worth the price tag... Everyone knew a 1080TI was going to come and everyone knows Titans are overpriced. 

20 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

More importantly, we've been enjoying our cards for a year while everyone else has been waiting for the 1080Ti to ship.  No salt or tears here.  :-)

Enjoy your Ti cards.  I've been thoroughly enjoying my two Titans.

Everyone knows that the release date of a product means absolutely nothing.

Nvidia is screwing people over by charging as much as they did for the still unrivaled Titan X released over 7 months ago.

Intel is screwing people over with every HEDT processor price because AMD is releasing comparable processors years later.

Get with the times.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Get with the times.

Silly me.  I'll just sit on my money and not buy anything because obviously: something better is always just around the corner.  Ya know, that corner... way over there.  There's something better right around it.  Yeah.

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Silly me.  I'll just sit on my money and not buy anything because obviously: something better is always just around the corner.  Ya know, that corner... way over there.  There's something better right around it.  Yeah.

I've learned my lesson so it's safe to say I'll never buy anything ever again while I wait for the latest and greatest.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, Notional said:

Yes it was, but you have to factor in the additional cost of including a CLC on that card. Compare it to EVGA or MSI's NVidia cards with included CLC, and you will notice a 1-200$ price premium (mostly the latter). So a Fury X with an air cooler, could have been sold for say 550$ and still have the same profit margin.

Based on what @Humbug said, it seems like Raja claims Vega is going for a cheaper price. If that is true, a 3-500$ price interval is not unrealistic. But of course, it depends on the amount of SKU's we will see. If we get 2 chips resulting in 4 SKUS, it could be 3-600$ instead.

Great question. I don't have an ultrawide myself, but it's definitely going to be a curved ultrawide, the next monitor I get. Sadly right now, there is no perfect monitor with freesync. XR341CK is one of the best due to the 30-75hz interval (thus supporting LFC), but it uses an old panel now. I was really excited for the CF791, but alas, it suffers heavily from flicker around the late 40 hz, and it's only 8 bit (should have been HDR). So I'm holding on to my money, as monitors of that caliber are expensive, and tends to be used for 5 years (or more). Hopefully we will see some curved ultrawide freesync 2 monitors this year (Freesync 2 being large interval, enough for LFC, so max being at least 2-2.5x of min hz, as well as HDR). When all the panel manufacturers can make that happen for cheap 100hz tv's, there's no reason why they can't for monitors this year. But right now it's all about compromises (both for freesync and for pros and cons of IPS and QDVA).

Did you know you can OC the freesync range? Its fucking awesome my lg 29inch ips is now running freesync from 35 all the way to 80 :)