AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits 5.2 GHz, breaks benchmarking record

MeDownYou

Austin Evans Uploaded a video around 17 hours ago which has been removed due to NDA restrictions ect. 

Contained within this was a portion briefly mentioning AMD Vega, but the real catch in this removed video came near the end. Reportedly, AMD invited some of the world's top overclockers to push current ryzen chips and they achieved a feat being a new Cinebench World Record of 2449. This was prefaced with earlier checking on the system reporting that it was a 1800x chip running at 5.14Ghz under LN2 with heavy voltage (1.875v). 

amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cinebench-r15-world-record_1         Frame Acquired from Austin Evans Video.

The internet is broad and this Video has been recovered multiple times, and can be found at a mirror link curtesy of WCCFtech and Reddit (no info on the mirror link in thread other than it does in fact play said video so, I'm linking the thread instead): 

WCCFTech also Wrote a Write up on this and said: 

The record run shows a group of overclockers putting an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X chip through the test in Cinebench R15. The chip was cooled with LN2 and voltage was bumped to an outrageous 1.875V. This allowed the overclockers to push this chip to 5.2 GHz across all 8 cores using LN2 cooling which kept the chip operating at a cool -200c. This is absolutely amazing for a chip that is yet to be released for consumers.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-world-record/

I personally think that this information is interesting to say the least coming from an official AMD event and Austin Evans, albeit now removed from youtube. I would say this is most probably true and if it is any indication of what we can see for overclocking I expect just over 4ghz to be rather commonplace. Keep in mind this is on an 8 core chip which makes overclocking headroom a bit more difficult as we can see with Intel parts. This is only a few hundred mhz over their boost and we've yet to see how well their XFR (CPUboost as I call it) responds. This might mean that overclocking on air for the average person might be similar to GPU boost where we benefit little in terms of performance from dialing in that overclock.

Video which has replaced the removed Video.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Another one. And another one. 

Jokes aside, it's good to hear that ryzen has oc potential.

Edit: With that i meant, that it is good to hear that 4.1Ghz isn't a hard barrier and it has the potential to go higher (with sufficient cooling).

At these speeds, the chip was able to score 2449 Cinebench points in the multi-threaded tests, breaking the previous world record of 2410 Cinebench points. 

The previous record was 2445, not 2410.. Also the new R15 version is giving a small point boost, dunno if old score was done on the new R15 version or not, nonetheless it's impressive.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

The previous record was 2445, not 2410..

Hey man it's a direct quote from WCCFtech (rules of forums say I need one and not just links to sources ya know.)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

1,8V for 5,1GHz ... so we can forget about going to 5,0GHz on water cooling xD

Hopefully 4,5GHz will be doable somehow.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

1,8V for 5,1GHz ... so we can forget about going to 5,0GHz on water cooling xD

Hopefully 4,5GHz will be doable somehow.

im going to gues you can get 4.6GHz on water at the max and 4.3GHz on air.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, FTL said:

Another one. And another one. 

Jokes aside, it's good to hear that ryzen has oc potential.

um? not really? the 7700k can reach that on water. Would be nice to see 4.5 out of an 1800x but thats looking pretty slim right now :/

3 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

um? not really? the 7700k can reach that on water. Would be nice to see 4.5 out of an 1800x but thats looking pretty slim right now :/

you're forgetting that the 7700K is a 4 Core cpu

A quick look up on hwbot shows the 6900K at similar speeds. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Remember this is an 8 core part rather than 4 core, so clocks are expected to be lower. Still many of the benchmarks we see are from chips running under 4ghz and remember voltage doesn't scale linearly.It doesn't work this way but think about 8x 500mhz vs 4x1ghz they would be the same amount of number crunching potential theoretically if all else is ignored and all cores utilized.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

you're forgetting that the 7700K is a 4 Core cpu

A quick look up on hwbot shows the 6900K at similar speeds. 

i'm not forgetting that, you are also able to disable cores on ryzen chips:

ZwY05FK.jpg

but i don't think its going to help THAT much, intels refined 14nm lets them reach higher clock speeds, hopefully ryzen will catch up in the future!

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

but i don't think its going to help THAT much, intels refined 14nm lets them reach higher clock speeds, hopefully ryzen will catch up in the future!

That's chip was doing 5ghz on all 8 cores. Source doesn't mention that any of the cores were disabled. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

That's chip was doing 5ghz on all 8 cores. Source doesn't mention that any of the cores were disabled. 

CPU-Z shot with all 8 core clocks shown in OP.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Yeah but how far the chip can go on water is whats really important to the enthusiast here. What the source really tells us is the upper limit is 5.1ghz and 24/7 stable wont be even close to that number. It would be nice to see 4.5ghz on all 8 cores however, with it only reaching 5.1 on LN2 I have my doubts.

I'm sounding like a broken record here (oops lol) but this was on a prerelease beta BIOS. I'd expect especially after the first update to the the actual release BIOS will see huge gains.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

I'm sounding like a broken record here (oops lol) but this was on a prerelease beta BIOS. I'd expect especially after the first update to the the actual release BIOS will see huge gains.

how is the bios going to "huge"ly change how far a CPU can OC?

Wasn't the 10 core 6950X OC to 5.7 on LN2 with less voltage? Why is this so impressive then? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

42 minutes ago, Lays said:

The previous record was 2445, not 2410.. Also the new R15 version is giving a small point boost, dunno if old score was done on the new R15 version or not, nonetheless it's impressive.

What is your R15 single threaded score? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

18 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Yeah but how far the chip can go on water is whats really important to the enthusiast here. What the source really tells us is the upper limit is 5.1ghz and 24/7 stable wont be even close to that number. It would be nice to see 4.5ghz on all 8 cores however, with it only reaching 5.1 on LN2 I have my doubts.

Woah woah woah you want 5ghz on water 24/7 stable on all 8 cores? 

We're quite far from that still. You don't even see 5ghz 6900ks very often. 

This is awesome, AMDs new chips are amazing. AMD is back baby <3

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Oh, so that's what it takes to get to 5.1 GHz... I had heard they can reach it but I was sort of hoping that it was doable with a more reasonable setup :P 

Edit: I just noticed something interesting... it appears as though they got this by FSB/BCLK overclocking and not simply adjusting the multiplier... interesting choice.  I wonder what kind of numbers we'll see when they do it normally?

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Woah woah woah you want 5ghz on water 24/7 stable on all 8 cores? 

We're quite far from that still. You don't even see 5ghz 6900ks very often. 

I never said that. I'm trying to work out whats realistically achievable here, cos if an 1800x cant do 4.3ghz on water someone who plays more games than work isn't going to pick one up. Also if its possible to disable 2 of the 8 cores and gain a atleast 200mhz with overclocking it might be the way to go.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Edit: I just noticed something interesting... it appears as though they got this by FSB/BCLK overclocking and not simply adjusting the multiplier... interesting choice.  I wonder what kind of numbers we'll see when they do it normally?

Thats odd, well maybe they were using a cheap motherboard or something or maybe the standard OC hit a snag for some reason (though normally that method has more issues than standard) either way I want real world numbers (benches and OC) before I'm ready to care either way about Ryzen

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

I never said that. I'm trying to work out whats realistically achievable here, cos if an 1800x cant do 4.3ghz on water someone who plays more games than work isn't going to pick one up. Also if its possible to disable 2 of the 8 cores and gain a atleast 200mhz with overclocking it might be the way to go.

Seeing how the auto boost thing goes up to 4.1ghz. Its most likely that the average oc is more likely 4.4 for 8 cores.

Maybe 5 on 2 cores with 4.5 for the rest if we're lucky and amd has that kind of tech on their cpus. 

But 5ghz, water, 24/7 stable on all 8 cores, not a chance. Especially when intel can't achieve that as well. 

Even on the intel side, someone who plays more games than work is more likely to run with a 4 core i7 than prosumer 8 core i7s. 

Ryzen is really shaping up to be a game changer. I am really excited.