AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits 5.2 GHz, breaks benchmarking record

MeDownYou
3 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

That is admirable on its own, LN2 doesn't play a role here. I'm asking specifically what is impressive about this OC?

Well honestly I don't find LN2 OC impressive I think I should probably pass on further comments.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's a little low but not horrible considering it's an 8 core. If I recall when Intel did an ln2 demo for the 4790k they only got to 5.5 ghz yet the 4790k still could reach 4.8 ghz or so on water.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 hours ago, TrigrH said:

how is the bios going to "huge"ly change how far a CPU can OC?

For as much as you keep bringing up the 7700k, one would think you'd already have the answer. Both MSI and Gigabyte had bad Z270 BIOS's that prevented 5ghz on launch. After the bios update, people were getting 5.1/5.2 on the exact same boards. 

We don't know what was limiting this chip. Not enough samples to know if the bin of the chip stopped them, or if even the power delivery of the board was robust enough to handle it. That being said, LN2 ceilings tells us nothing about real world voltage scaling. This doesn't mean 4.5ghz on water is out of the question, as we don't know how the voltage scaling works. Others are correct in saying it's not linear. We will know in a couple weeks once the vast majority of overclockers get their hands on it. After that, we will know in a few months whether or not their overclocks are actually safe/stable for longterm.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

These days, there's almost never a case where water cooling will reach higher clocks than a top of the line air cooler. Because the dielectric barrier is hit way earlier than the thermal barrier. Since Ryzen promises to be very efficient just like recent Intel chips, there's no reason for this to not continue to be the case here.

maybe, i dont know much about high end overclocking exept that its often quite limited, the water estimate may be a bit high but i would expect you to get another 200MHz or so from going to water from air

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

30 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

maybe, i dont know much about high end overclocking exept that its often quite limited, the water estimate may be a bit high but i would expect you to get another 200MHz or so from going to water from air

No the difference will almost always be 0 mhz, but you'll get around 4°C-7°C temperature difference. And that temp difference is not enough to stabilize beyond unsafe voltages to get more clock speed. You don't even need the 'best' air coolers to run the maximum safe voltage limit of any given chip.

For example a standard 6-pipe tower cooler with a 120mm fan is enough to keep temperature below max on a 3570K running at its max usable voltage (1.35v)

If you're using overkill cooling, you're not really improving anything. There's no extra benefit from running 7 degrees cooler if you were already below the max threshold. It doesn't extend the life time of your chip or motherboard or anything of that nature.

Hell, I've been running a Core2Duo E8400 for almost 10 years overclocked to 4Ghz (1Ghz OC) on a stock cooler, just 4 degrees (load) to 16 degrees (idle) below the thermal limit of the chip and that system is still pristine to this day despite hundreds of thousands of power-on hours.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

48 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

No the difference will almost always be 0 mhz, but you'll get around 4°C-7°C temperature difference. And that temp difference is not enough to stabilize beyond unsafe voltages to get more clock speed. You don't even need the 'best' air coolers to run the maximum safe voltage limit of any given chip.

For example a standard 6-pipe tower cooler with a 120mm fan is enough to keep temperature below max on a 3570K running at its max usable voltage (1.35v)

If you're using overkill cooling, you're not really improving anything. There's no extra benefit from running 7 degrees cooler if you were already below the max threshold. It doesn't extend the life time of your chip or motherboard or anything of that nature.

Hell, I've been running a Core2Duo E8400 for almost 10 years overclocked to 4Ghz (1Ghz OC) on a stock cooler, just 4 degrees (load) to 16 degrees (idle) below the thermal limit of the chip and that system is still pristine to this day despite hundreds of thousands of power-on hours.

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but that actually isn't true.

Electron leakage scales exponentially with temperature (via the Maxwellian). 

You literally get more stability by being colder with every single modern chip. The smaller transistors become (the more stability is QM leakage dominated), the more decreasing temperatures helps keep the system stable.

Your c2d is running what a 45 process? Electron leakage from that would be about 4 orders of magnitude lower than it is at 14nm (and yes... orders of magnitude. When you want to do the square well potential problem in QM come back to me and we can talk about it.)

Which is how you get something like this: http://hwbot.org/submission/3324224_a39a_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1080_25080_marks

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Well info about OC is still pretty vague anyway. I'm mainly interested to see how AiO will handle OCs after release. And how well will like lowest core Ryzen CPU OC too.

Also Zen is on LPE and not LPP 14nm no? 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Sorry to burst your bubble here

You're not bursting any bubbles, electron leakage is insignificant to the life time of CPUs because cache and other package components will die off long before the silicon itself. Of more importance is dielectric friction, which is constant with voltage and is not affected by temperature whatsoever.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

7 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Woah woah woah you want 5ghz on water 24/7 stable on all 8 cores? 

We're quite far from that still. You don't even see 5ghz 6900ks very often. 

Well saying quite far is a little off. Clock speeds haven't changed that much in the past years because manufacturers are more concerned with tdp. 

I need an army of slaves who can keep cooling down the CPU to run it 24/7 on 6+GHz

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Why are people bringing up the 7700K? It doesn't matter how much that CPU can overclock. It's way behind 1800X in IPC. 

29 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

You're not bursting any bubbles, electron leakage is insignificant to the life time of CPUs because cache and other package components will die off long before the silicon itself. Of more importance is dielectric friction, which is constant with voltage and is not affected by temperature whatsoever.

Wow, you really don't understand electron leakage...

It isn't something that reduces lifespan, it's something that reduces frequency and stability  (electron leaks out of the transistor and thus fails to properly run on that one cycle). It is the same idea as solar radiation causing bit rot in ram. It doesn't prevent ram from working indefinately, it merely causes one set of data to be corrupted.

Electron leakage is the single DOMINATE factor in transistor scaling right now. In fact, it was the reason finfet was invented. 

Edit: with a sufficiently high electron leakage current, you can indeed permanently damage a transistor, but instability occurs far far before that.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

When you lower the temperature of the cpu that much you need to raise voltage just to conpensate for the higher resistance. Go check graphs of silicon resistence in relation to temperature.

Actually I'm pretty sure lowering temperature lowers the resistance, and a quick google search seems to confirm this...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Actually I'm pretty sure lowering temperature lowers the resistance, and a quick google search seems to confirm this...

its the opposite for semiconductors

5 hours ago, Ramaddil said:

I really agree with this post.  I never bought a CPU simply for gaming.  I think everyone has come to a place where the only reason they buy a CPU is for a single function when in fact they can do more than one thing.  Yes Ryzen probably will not have the best single core performance and might not get the best FPS in every game, but seriously there comes a point of diminishing returns when it comes to gaming and FPS anyway.  I have always bought AMD, not because I am a Fanboy, but because they were reasonably priced and could run the games I played, and I was able to use the CPU for other things.  Granted AMD has been far behind the curve in the CPU market, I am excited about Ryzen because it gives me a opportunity to upgrade my home server PC which does more than just streaming and need more cores and threads.  

I think everyone needs to look at the whole picture instead of just focusing on one thing (gaming).  I also agree that as time goes on and given that the limits have almost been reached regarding single core performance gains, the future is multi core and we should embrace it.

Thank You! a part of me has felt this was for a long time. but i just called myself a fanboy and accepted 2nd place every time. lol

But i have always tooted the value of AMD. Its always been riiiight there, but always much cheaper.

And yes, this Rysen launch has me excited to upgrade my pc and continue to use AMD for years to come.

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

its the opposite for semiconductors

can you link the charts you're looking at then? :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 hours ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Why are people bringing up the 7700K? It doesn't matter how much that CPU can overclock. It's way behind 1800X in IPC. 

no it's not. It beats ryzen in both ipc and clock speed.

it will lose to ryzen in parallel workloads as Ryzen has more cores and superior SMT implementation.

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

oh, that's weird...

2 hours ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

It falls somewhere between Haswell and Broadwell, but it definitely isn't betting Kaby Lake in IPC.  

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, that's weird...

Not that I'd expect random people to know this, but it's actually fairly intuitive...

Until you reach the band gap, semi-conductors function as insulators...

If you can think about it in this way (it's more than a bit of an oversimplification, but still), increasing the temperature of a semi-conductor increases the electron mobility and thus makes the band gap easier to reach, thus lowering resistance.

But THE important issue with regards to lowering temperature is lowering leakage/tunneling through transistors. It singlehandedly is the main reason why LN2 out preforms DICE even though both of them can in theory handle the exact same amount of heat input.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Not that I'd expect random people to know this, but it's actually fairly intuitive...

Until you reach the band gap, semi-conductors function as insulators...

If you can think about it in this way (it's more than a bit of an oversimplification, but still), increasing the temperature of a semi-conductor increases the electron mobility and thus makes the band gap easier to reach, thus lowering resistance.

But THE important issue with regards to lowering temperature is lowering leakage/tunneling through transistors. It singlehandedly is the main reason why LN2 out preforms DICE even though both of them can in theory handle the exact same amount of heat input.

Interesting... It does make more sense when you put it like that

So basically it's a dog.  6950X, 25% more cores, 5.325Ghz in Cinebench on LN2.

Paired with their shitty 100mhz turbo boost whatever they're calling it, Ryzen ain't going to be overclocking for shit.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Paired with their shitty 100mhz turbo boost whatever they're calling it, Ryzen ain't going to be overclocking for shit.

The people willing to spend whatever it costs on a 6950X and the necessary cooling to get it to that speed are a completely different segment (and a very very small one I might add) to those interested in RyZen

12 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I've got a Ryzen 7 1800x reserved for pickup on the 2nd at my local Micro Center.  I plan to see this first hand, but suspect that single-thread and overclocking performance are going to be underwhelming.