Ryzen Allegedly Matching Intel in 3DMark FS Physics

7 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

You're right.  Still, 5960X was king just a year ago.

Yup.

The enthusiast line seems to always be a year behind the mainstream/performance line.

oh yea i forgot to post this

clip.small.gif

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Two? Isn't it one?

My bad, it's actually 3.

The new 7000 is kabby lake.

The 6000 series is skylake.

The 6950X is not skylake, but broadwell, same as the 5770C.

The 5960X is devils canyon, same as the 4790K.

Skylake-E is not yet released, it should be called the 7950X and will be 1 gen behind the 7700K.

That means the 6950X is 2 gens behind and the 5960X is 3 gens behind.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

AMD-Ryzen-CPU-3DMark-Physics-Per-Core.png

Based on these benchmarks, I've done a new analysis of the R3 series.  No R3 processors are shown here, but we can probably expect the single and quad core performance of an R3-1100 to be similar to an R5-1300 (which is shown).

i5-3570k <= R3-1100 < i5-7500 < R3-1200X <= i5-4690k

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

My bad, it's actually 3.

Skylake-E is not yet released, it should be called the 7950X and will be 1 gen behind the 7700K.

I suppose if you look at it that way.

However, it's only one generation behind if you're talking about the -E nomenclature.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I suppose if you look at it that way.

However, it's only one generation behind if you're talking about the -E nomenclature.

No, I'm talking about the actual generation, based on process, which is why stuff has the names "kaby lake" and whatnot.

That's what determines the core performance.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

You can look at the HEDT product line in a vacuum if you prefer, but that's not how Intel does business. Broadwell is Broadwell. Broadwell-E CPUs have the same IPC as the Broadwell-S CPUs like the 5775C. It's not just "another way to look at it," Kaby Lake is different tech with different features and performance.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:23 AM, Bouzoo said:

What didn't he do? :P

Time for @MageTank to make a thread to reverse that decision. Batman can't work without his Joker. 

I have no control over what the mods do. That being said, the mods were very lenient towards both he and myself, even when our banter derailed threads entirely. He had plenty of chances, but refused to change. It's nothing short of a miracle that I've made it this far on this forum without a single warning point. I guess explaining things to people without calling them names tends to look better in the eyes of the mods?

@ the topic: If this is indeed true, Zen is looking like a pretty good deal. Especially after seeing that recent price leak, suggesting a $300 1700 Pro. $300 for an unlocked 8c/16t CPU is very substantial, even if it's IPC were to end up worse than Haswell. That's $300 for a CPU that is perfectly capable of heavy lifting on a budget. Even if it were to only match Sandy or Ivy, $300 for that many threads, it's gonna sell well. I know plenty of streamers that currently use i5's and quad core i7's that tell me they still need more cores, and this would be the answer for them. 

Hopefully we get reviews soon, so we can know for certain what kinds of IPC we are talking, and what the differences between the $300 and $500 16T SKU's are. I personally don't see these overclocking that well (maybe 4.5ghz at best) but then again, 16 threads of 4.5ghz is also plenty enough for most consumers. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

snip

That my friend, was a joke. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

That my friend, was a joke. :P

Sorry, long work week and am very tired. Was absent from the forum for 3 days, lol. 

17 hours ago, Enderman said:

My bad, it's actually 3.

One has to keep in mind how little gains are enough for Intel to call them a "new gen". From Broadwell to Kaby Lake, only once has IPC gone up, and only twice from Haswell to Kaby. Ever since Kaby brought no per-clock performance increase and only a little clockspeed, it's not entirely accurate to look at a new gen as a new step in performance.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

On 2/13/2017 at 8:45 PM, SamStrecker said:

If this flops AMD will never come back at all.

The amount of agrees on this is insane.

29 minutes ago, Energycore said:

One has to keep in mind how little gains are enough for Intel to call them a "new gen". From Broadwell to Kaby Lake, only once has IPC gone up, and only twice from Haswell to Kaby. Ever since Kaby brought no per-clock performance increase and only a little clockspeed, it's not entirely accurate to look at a new gen as a new step in performance.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

Two? Isn't it one?

One includes the generation that is being spoken of in the count of how many generations old it is.

Overall, it's been surpassed 3 times (talking just core architecture), making it 4 generations old.

On the HEDT side of things, it has only been surpassed once, by Broadwell-E. That makes it 2 generations old, in HEDT regards.

As far as Intel's perception of their CPU generations, Haswell-E and Haswell Mini (AKA Broadwell) are both part of the same generation (gen 5, and Intel is currently on gen 7), as they nearly every feature and HEDT lags behind consumer product. In this sense, Haswell-E is 3 generations old.

So then we've got Haswell, Haswell Mini, Haswell Mini 2.0 (Skylake), and Haswell Mini 2.1 (Kaby), with little worthwhile improvement in between them, as far as many people are concerned.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

All benchmarks are on 1700x, is there an 1800x as well, which is even MORE powerful? or is the 1700x top whale ?

AMD Ryzen R9 5900X  | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360  |  GIGABYTE X570S AERO G  |  2x32GB G'skill TridentZ 4000MHz  | MSI RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio 16GB Dark Base Pro 900 (Orange)  | TOSHIBA 4TB 3.5" Drive - Game Drive | Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" SSD - Boot Drive | Cooler Master V750 PSU |

Living Room PC: AMD Ryzen 2400G | MSI RX VEGA 56 8GB AERO | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix 2400MHz | Intenso 250GB SSD | Seagate 500 GB HDD | Node 202 + 850W PSU |

4 minutes ago, Edgar R. Zakarian said:

All benchmarks are on 1700x, is there an 1800x as well, which is even MORE powerful? or is the 1700x top whale ?

There is supposedly an 1800 and 1800X. The 1700X seems to be the middle ground, as there is the 1700 and 1700 Pro that are below it, while the 1800 and 1800X are above it. It's hard to keep up with this though, as every day a new leak changes how many SKU's exist.

22 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:

Do Z series boards run all cores at turbo boost speed? I remember seeing that somewhere, I believe.

The board doesn't really affect turbo speeds. Turbo speeds are dependent on temps and the number of cores under load. For example, take the i5-6400 and i5-6500, the 6400 turbos at: 3.3/3.3/3.1 while the 6500 turbos at 3.6/3.5/3.3 (1/2/4 cores).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylake_(CPU)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake_(CPU)

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

@leadeater @MageTank 

Rejoice!

@leadeater

I'm still sad he got banned. He was supposed to leave with his tail tucked between his legs once Zen actually launched: 

Spoiler

viuxl9f.png

gkPevsC.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

54 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

@leadeater

I'm still sad he got banned. He was supposed to leave with his tail tucked between his legs once Zen actually launched: 

As you know we can't really talk about moderation or bans of accounts, neither is it supposed to be talked about by other members in public.

Personally I don't mind the guy, I like talking to people with intelligence. However he had an extreme lack of social skills, the inability to know when he was wrong and unable to recognize when someone was more experienced and knowledgeable in areas than he was. He was given many reminders to act respectful to other members of the community, correctness or self belief isn't justification to act condescending/arrogant. His attitude towards other members of the community is something I very strongly disliked, that is no secret. However due to the arguments I ended up having with him I decided not to moderate any of his content and leave it to the rest of the team.

He was much less knowledgeable in hardware topics than he thought and acted, that AMD/Xeon thing is a prime example. Any self respecting 'expert' would never mistake that for anything other than an AMD CPU. Having been in the IT industry as long as I have, plus the years of personal use of server equipment when I was young (free kit from parents work), along with building hundreds of computers for computer labs in schools I have seen every design of Intel and AMD CPU. It was an AMD design, no question.

Now I will ask that this not get brought up again, it is against the CS plus derails threads. Neither do we need to talk about such things anyway, it's not productive and nothing will come of it.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

The board doesn't really affect turbo speeds. Turbo speeds are dependent on temps and the number of cores under load. For example, take the i5-6400 and i5-6500, the 6400 turbos at: 3.3/3.3/3.1 while the 6500 turbos at 3.6/3.5/3.3 (1/2/4 cores).

Some SKU's even impose a power limit, that overrides turbo boost. Even if only one core is boosting, and even if thermals are perfectly in line, it will still throttle the turbo to remain within a specific power envelope. The T SKU's do this, and some of the mobile SKU's do this depending on how the board manufacturers implement it. My brothers XPS13 will impose a power limit, even after getting thermals under control. At best, we are able to change the duration of the boost before the limit kicks in, but only by a few seconds.

My worry is, if these 8c/16t SKU's indeed have a 65w TDP, something has to be limiting them in some regard. I simply don't believe they are still boosting to 3.7ghz on 8c/16 threads and are still cutting Intel's TDP directly in half. Some sort of sorcery is at play here.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, boards do impact turbo speed. For example: Asrock boards have an "Advanced Turbo" sub-section in their BIOS that allows you to run at your maximum defined boost multiplier on all cores. This is available on all of their Z series boards, and a few of their "gaming" H series boards. I have yet to see it on the H110 or B150 boards that I've tested. That being said, it won't impact how high you can actually boost, only the amount of cores that can simultaneously boost. It ignores the factory defined boost table.

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Some SKU's even impose a power limit, that overrides turbo boost. Even if only one core is boosting, and even if thermals are perfectly in line, it will still throttle the turbo to remain within a specific power envelope. The T SKU's do this, and some of the mobile SKU's do this depending on how the board manufacturers implement it. My brothers XPS13 will impose a power limit, even after getting thermals under control. At best, we are able to change the duration of the boost before the limit kicks in, but only by a few seconds.

My worry is, if these 8c/16t SKU's indeed have a 65w TDP, something has to be limiting them in some regard. I simply don't believe they are still boosting to 3.7ghz on 8 threads and are still cutting Intel's TDP directly in half. Some sort of sorcery is at play here.

Good point. 

I think the bigger point of "concern" is the large price difference between the 65w 1700x and the 95w 1800x. It's possible AMD is just selling the 1800x for noticeably more because it's clocked higher and other than that they're identical (and can be overclocked to the same degree), but I think that's unlikely. I'm assuming there is a power limit in place (or far less likely -- imo -- less cache). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

@leadeater

Reveal hidden contents

viuxl9f.png

Reveal hidden contents

gkPevsC.png

actually. Some boards BIOS settings chanes turbo behavior. Its been that way since Ivy Bridge AFAIK. 

My Z97 HERO board allow my 4790k to run 4.4GHz on all 4 cores, despite that Intels official speed for 4 core turbo is something like 4.1 GHz... Lower end boards, like many H87 and H97 boards does not allow for this behavior.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

actually. Some boards BIOS settings chanes turbo behavior. Its been that way since Ivy Bridge AFAIK. 

My Z97 HERO board allow my 4790k to run 4.4GHz on all 4 cores, despite that Intels official speed for 4 core turbo is something like 4.1 GHz... Lower end boards, like many H87 and H97 boards does not allow for this behavior.

Yeah, plenty of manufacturers have advanced turbo options to ignore boost tables. I've also yet to see anyone complain about stability when using these features, so it's pretty good. Some higher end laptops have the same thing, though they mostly require some sort of software or "gaming mode" enabled. Worked on an ROG laptop that had such a feature. 

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yeah, plenty of manufacturers have advanced turbo options to ignore boost tables. I've also yet to see anyone complain about stability when using these features, so it's pretty good. Some higher end laptops have the same thing, though they mostly require some sort of software or "gaming mode" enabled. Worked on an ROG laptop that had such a feature. 

for most Z series ROG boards, it is the default behavior. You cannot turn it on or off without fully disabling Turbo speed. It doesnt really seem to jack up voltages uneccessarily high either. Like "gaming mode"or "Ez OC" stuff usually does.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

for most Z series ROG boards, it is the default behavior. You cannot turn it on or off without fully disabling Turbo speed. It doesnt really seem to jack up voltages uneccessarily high either. Like "gaming mode"or "Ez OC" stuff usually does.

We can turn it off on our Asrock boards, but it's not like it really matters. You buy a Z series board to overclock, and overclocking overrides boost anyways, lol. 

3 minutes ago, MageTank said:

We can turn it off on our Asrock boards, but it's not like it really matters. You buy a Z series board to overclock, and overclocking overrides boost anyways, lol. 

I wonder how it will be with RYZEN boards. The feature is prob going to make it into X370 boards. But how will the voltage and turbo work given RYZEN basically have "CPU boost 3.0"