Nvidia Keynote at CES

NumLock21
4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

So why do only some monitors support Freesync???

Because they have to support VESA's Adaptive Sync, which has a hardware requirement. They're both using a scaler on roids so to speak to make this possible.

3 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

You topic got nuked because there is already a thread on the nVidia keynote, and your post didn't follow the news thread guidelines :)

I was intoxicated. Soooo.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

They do have Adaptive Sync hardware. It's not just software. FreeSync may just be software but it's still using VESA's Adaptive Sync standard that is only available in certain monitors.

That's close, so we'll say close. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Tbh maybe Nvidia just won't release a 1080Ti. They've got some good reason to which is putting that focus towards Volta.  I still stand with my statement of AMD would be utterly fucking stupid to release Vega 6-7 months, probably closer to 8-9 months once it is actually released and have it be on-par with Pascal. They'd be pure fucking idiots and it would ruin them. Vega has to be at MINIMUM in my eyes 15% faster then Vega at good price points such as the $400 Vega card has to be at least 15% faster then the 1070 to be considered a successful launch.

See here for the Battlefront comparison:

15 hours ago, 3DOSH said:

Star Wars Battlefront 4K Ultra. Locked to 60 fps.

Thats well above GTX1080

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

30 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I did, filter the thread for my posts :)

Can't find it. :(

Anyway he talked about gaming, which included GeForce with Facebook Live, GeForce Now, is that also GeForce Demand? Next up was AI, Nvidia Spot, Nvidia Shield with Google Assist with that odd demo commerical. And AI for cars and partnering with Bosch and Audi. He was known for putting the most exciting thing for last, but the moment he mentioned about GeForce Now, there is a strong feeling, the GTX 1080Ti won't be announced because that $25 or 20 hours in the long run will cost more than the GTX1080Ti, so he can't announce the GPU. MSRP for GTX 980Ti was $650. The other thing is, the audience over there are adults who probably cares less about gaming.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, App4that said:

That's close, so we'll say close. 

"Close"?? They're both using a beefed up scaler that wasn't available before. It's literally the same thing.

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

Yeah, but settings  and bla bla bla. There's a reason AMD used a Pascal Titan X for the New Horizons announcement. 

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

IS that going off of what they showed at the Ryzen lineup? That isn't enough information, I'll go by what they show tomorrow but if they release a GPU that does 4k60FPS Max settings with minimal dips, I'd say minimum of 45-50FPS then that is very successful to me.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

To be fair we don't know the settings but yeah

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Yeah, but settings  and bla bla bla. There's a reason AMD used a Pascal Titan X for the New Horizons announcement. 

So they didn't giveaway to much info on Vega at the time and could of been heavily unstable at the time?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

"Close"?? They're both using a beefed up scaler that wasn't available before. It's literally the same thing.

Freesync don't not allow the graphics card to control the monitor. That's GSYNC. 

Just now, App4that said:

True, latency is just lower than Freesync. To a close to imperceptible degree. 

With the current monitors on the market today I would actually say the latency difference is low enough to be perceived, or at least it shows in the greater range of frame rate it works at. As a Gen 1 technology going with a G-Sync chip was probably a smart move as you have greater control over the processes and can better guarantee good usability results.

The down side as we all know is the increased cost in monitors and the eventual issue that the G-Sync chip well become outdated, at that point if I was Nvidia I would then look at adopting the industry standard which by then will be more refined than it is now/when G-Sync was launched.

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

True, latency is just lower than Freesync. To a close to imperceptible degree. 

Actually, Freesync tends to have lower latency than Gsync:

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

So they didn't giveaway to much info on Vega at the time and could of been heavily unstable at the time?

You didn't see Ryzen shit the bed and hitch? Watch it again. I giggled. 

Oh almost forget

Geforce Now = Netflix for Geforce

pay 25 bucks for 20 hours of gameplay

that is 750 dollar per month! = a semi decent gaming PC

my broadband is way cheaper!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Actually, Freesync tends to have lower latency than Gsync

I love Linus, I have great respect for him as an entertainer. But he also has a video on how RAM speed doesn't effect gaming.

So, you cannot cite Linus. 

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

that is 750 dollar per month! = a semi decent gaming PC

HEY! Someone else notice it was at 1080p! 

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

To be fair we don't know the settings but yeah

http://videocardz.com/65343/amd-demos-star-wars-battlefront-on-ryzen-and-vega-at-ces2017 Yes we do.

I love Linus, I have great respect for him as an entertainer. But he also has a video on how RAM speed doesn't effect gaming.

So, you cannot cite Linus. 

Of course I can. We see how he tests it, and the test seems completely valid. But if you think Gsync has a LOWER latency than Freesync, feel free to provide som proof.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Freesync don't not allow the graphics card to control the monitor. That's GSYNC. 

I thought this whole thing was about whether or not there is a hardware difference between a non freesync monitor and a freesync monitor.

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

Actually, Freesync tends to have lower latency than Gsync:

That's a flawed notion. Different monitors have different input lag, and that's even in the Freesync / Gsync version of the same panel (take for instane, the AOC G2460PF which has more input lag than the G2460PQU). So actually, that particular Freesync monitor has less input lag than that particular Gsync monitor.

Yes, Linus's methodology is wrong there, what a shocker xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

HEY! Someone else notice it was at 1080p! 

my 750 bucks PC can play 1440P!

rekt!

Japan already gonna release this

I take this over the nVidia offering

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

3 minutes ago, Notional said:

http://videocardz.com/65343/amd-demos-star-wars-battlefront-on-ryzen-and-vega-at-ces2017 Yes we do.

Of course I can. We see how he tests it, and the test seems completely valid. But if you think Gsync has a LOWER latency than Freesync, feel free to provide som proof.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974781/displays/g-sync-vs-freesync-faq-how-variable-refresh-rate-displays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html

30 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If they're even going to release a 1080 Ti or whatever it'll be called, it will be closer toward summer at some conference like Computex or GDC.

Yeah, I figured as much. GDC makes sense, but that doesn't make me stop wishing for sooner

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

tl;dr summary in op?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I thought this whole thing was about whether or not there is a hardware difference between a non freesync monitor and a freesync monitor.

I think this is a issue of semantics and I guaranty you have the sobriety advantage here. 

There is no Freesync chip, module, or thingamabob. My point