Nvidia Keynote at CES

NumLock21
8 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

But you aren't able to "extrapolate the value disparity" from the mere fact one of these GPUs will probably sport HBM2. In that case, you're speculating, not extrapolating, and wantonly so. Much better is to reserve judgement until more information is available, as I will be doing.

So if offered you a brand new gold or silver watch,  the metal not the color.

You wouldn't say gold? 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

So if offered you a brand new gold or silver watch,  the metal not the color.

You wouldn't say gold? 

I'm not sure, and I'm also not sure why you're asking me.

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I'm not sure, and I'm also not sure why you're asking me.

Oh, I was showing you how you can tell Vega will beat Pascal. 

Which it should as its the newest architecture. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Oh, I was showing you how you can tell Vega will beat Pascal. 

Which it should as its the newest architecture. 

But you've not shown that, being as there's inadequate information about Vega available (certainly, you've not produced it) to reasonably make that inference. No amount of horology will make it otherwise!

I understand you're enthusiastic about the architecture, and that's fine, I guess. But it's usually best to keep heart and head firmly separated, at least in the tech world.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

No 1080 Ti, Nvidia doesn't announce GPUs at CES because CES is... not a gaming event.

it's literally as simple as that @ everyone still mad over no 1080 Ti.

Someone gets it! +1

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

39 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

But you've not shown that, being as there's inadequate information about Vega available (certainly, you've not produced it) to reasonably make that inference. No amount of horology will make it otherwise!

I understand you're enthusiastic about the architecture, and that's fine, I guess. But it's usually best to keep heart and head firmly separated, at least in the tech world.

I honestly wonder how people are going to act when AMD has the faster card. I don't think people are prepared for it.

Just now, App4that said:

I honestly wonder how people are going to act when AMD has the faster card. I don't think people are prepared for it.

How can you be so certain of the performance?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

I'm getting the popcorn ready now. Because no matter what happens, people won't be prepared.

if it beats out 1080 (or, gasp, the Titan XP) then I'll laugh at the nvidia fanboys.

if it doesn't beat out the 1080, I'll laugh at the AMD fanboys.

if it goes back and forth, then I'll laugh at the flame wars arguing and cherry picking data from both sides.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

How can you be so certain of the performance?

Two reasons, HBM2 and AMD can't bring it to market behind Nvidia. 

AMD has Pascal cards, they know what they can do. AMD knows Nvidia can drop the prices. The only way AMD can win is by beating the 1080. 

16 minutes ago, App4that said:

I don't know that it's anything to prepare oneself for, but OK.

13 hours ago, Unexas. said:

EVGA Step-Up

FUCK the usa "EVGA Step-Up is currently only available to residents of the United States (not including outlying territories), Canada and EU Countries."

3 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

I don't know that it's anything to prepare oneself for, but OK.

Cool, now you do :)

Just now, App4that said:

AMD has Pascal cards, they know what they can do. AMD knows Nvidia can drop the prices. The only way AMD can win is by beating the 1080. 

"AMD can't bring it to market behind Nvidia". Ok...then how come they can bring CPU to market that are slower than the ones they were replacing? AMD can and has brought products to market that have been worse than their competitors and their own older products

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Daring said:

No 1080 Ti, Nvidia doesn't announce GPUs at CES because CES is... not a gaming event.

it's literally as simple as that @ everyone still mad over no 1080 Ti.

Except that AMD seems to be perfectly happy to show off their gpu at CES

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

17 minutes ago, App4that said:

Um you do remember the Fury cards had HBM and that didn't make them faster than the competition.

Putting huge carbon ceramic breaks on a car can make it's lap times faster but if it only has 100hp it's not actually that fast. better to have spent the money on the engine.

Edit:

Err lap times no laptop times. Nobody saw that right? :P

Also just want to point out that we dont know yet if the "vega" we've been seeing in leaks is vega 10 (little vega) or vega 11 (big vega). if it's vega 10 competeing with the 1080, im suuuuuuper hype for vega 11

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

"AMD can't bring it to market behind Nvidia". Ok...then how come they can bring CPU to market that are slower than the ones they were replacing? AMD can and has brought products to market that have been worse than their competitors and their own older products

That's the past. We're talking now. If Ryzen falls behind Kabylake AMD is done, if the top Vega card falls behind the 1080 Radeon is. This is done or die.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Um you do remember the Fury cards had HBM and that didn't make them faster than the competition.

Putting huge carbon ceramic breaks on a car can make it's laptop times faster but if it only has 100hp it's not actually that fast. better to have spent the money on the engine.

HBM was a huge mistake because of the 4g cap, no comparison. 

Just now, leadeater said:

Even with 8GB or 800GB it doesn't make the GPU faster.

Does at 8k. Even 4k. We're moving into a resolution and VR war. Just being good at an acceptable resolution won't cut it.

8 minutes ago, haloharry97 said:

FUCK the usa "EVGA Step-Up is currently only available to residents of the United States (not including outlying territories), Canada and EU Countries."

You know Evga Europe has it's own website, right? Try again at there.

That's the past. We're talking now. If Ryzen falls behind Kabylake AMD is done, if the top Vega card falls behind the 1080 Radeon is. This is done or die.

Ryzen isn't competing with Kaby Lake, it is competing with Broadwell-E.

Ryzen will clock in the 4.2 to 4.4 Ghz range, with the 4 core variant maybe pushing those up by .1 to .2.

AMD does well if it drops the 8 core Ryzen at around 500 USD.

1 minute ago, Paradine Sage said:

Ryzen will clock in the 4.2 to 4.4 Ghz range, with the 4 core variant maybe pushing those up by .1 to .2.

The SR7 is, not Ryzen.

And the SR7 only has 2 memory channels, that alone will give Broadwell E some breathing room.

Does at 8k. Even 4k. We're moving into a resolution and VR war. Just being good at an acceptable resolution won't cut it.

That wasn't really the point. If the GPU can't drive the required performance adding more ram isn't going to help, more ram doesn't add performance.

2 minutes ago, Paradine Sage said:

If that one hint from the magazine is credible we could see 5ghz on zen, on air of all things.