Nvidia Keynote at CES

NumLock21
1 minute ago, Swatson said:

If that one hint from the magazine is credible we could see 5ghz on zen, on air of all things.

It's not. Multiple people with the chips in hand have been strongly hinting that 5 Ghz on air stable at a reasonable voltage is pretty much a pipe dream.

6 minutes ago, Paradine Sage said:

It's not. Multiple people with the chips in hand have been strongly hinting that 5 Ghz on air stable at a reasonable voltage is pretty much a pipe dream.

According the mag, the cpu was just fine at 5ghz it was the vrm on the shitty mobo holding them back.

Edit: Now I dont assume every chip will get that high but if engineering samples are looking that good it's a good sign.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

18 minutes ago, App4that said:

Cool, now you do :)

I don't follow. Why do you have to prepare yourself for the release of a GPU? Is it a religious thing, or...?

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

That wasn't really the point. If the GPU can't drive the required performance adding more ram isn't going to help, more ram doesn't add performance.

But it can limit it, and it limited the Fury X. Hell, some games wouldn't even let you use ultra settings because of it only having 4g. And even thought the scaling was better than the 980ti when crossfired. Dat 4g. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

I don't follow. Why do you have to prepare yourself for the release of a GPU? Is it a religious thing, or...?

It was a joke. 

I've noticed people have fallen into a rut thinking Nvidia makes the fastest cards, when that hasn't always been the case. Should be interesting. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

It was a joke. 

I've noticed people have fallen into a rut thinking Nvidia makes the fastest cards, when that hasn't always been the case. Should be interesting. 

Mine was too.

Anyway, yes, people have short memories.

4 minutes ago, Swatson said:

According the mag, the cpu was just fine at 5ghz it was the shitty vrm on the mobo holding them back.

Wait and see, AMD should be giving details within the next few days. CES and all.

If Ryzen manages a stable, 24/7, 4.5 Ghz on all cores at a reasonable voltage with an AIO cooler without winning the silicon lottery then I will be impressed enough.

Anyways, this is off topic so not going to be continuing to discuss it here.

Oh... Waiting for price cutting with a monopoly... Maybe 20-30 dollars on GTX1060 1070 and 1080... Nvidia has no reason to go any further... It's best to put our hopes into AMD for a bigger price cut!

2 hours ago, Daring said:

They announce things that target general consumers at CES. The cloud gaming service targets general consumers (e.g. people who can't afford to buy into the Nvidia ecosystem otherwise, but still want to play PC games using their tech), so yes, it was appropriate.

The people who can't afford a 150 dollar graphics card will be able to afford a 25 dollar per 20 hours subscription? I have about 200 hours of played time in Cities Skylines and 80 in GTA 5. That would have cost me 350 dollars on that service. I could have bought a gtx 1070 for not much more than that.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

15 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

The people who can't afford a 150 dollar graphics card will be able to afford a 25 dollar per 20 hours subscription? I have about 200 hours of played time in Cities Skylines and 80 in GTA 5. That would have cost me 350 dollars on that service. I could have bought a gtx 1070 for not much more than that.

if you calculate the monthly price

its actually 750 bucks

and 750 buck can fit a GTX1060 and i5 combo desktop PC

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

From keynote : " 10:50PM EST - 'Let's make sure none of our kids ever have to learn to drive'

I personally don't like this at all. Our kids will be enslaved morons with gummy bones.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

1 minute ago, Tic-Tac said:

From keynote : " 10:50PM EST - 'Let's make sure none of our kids ever have to learn to drive'

I personally don't like this at all. Our kids will be enslaved morons with gummy bones.

Humanity is good at making itself really useless. I hope some people higher up wake up and put a stop to all of this BS. 

Tesla's Autopilot in its current state is about as far as I'll "allow" it. Driver assisting, not driver replacing.

Ye ole' train

Sure, driver assistance is acceptable but this load of bulls*it from Audi and Nvidia is preposterous!

Well, I'm affraid Wall-E is Nostradamus of our Age...

Wall-E+obese+humans+-+cropped.jpg

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

How can you be so certain of the performance?

for the second time, AMD has publically shown VEGA + Ryzen running Battlefront at 4k Ultra settings reaching 60 FPS+...

Battlefront_02.png

H7ZfzMa.png

We know that if it can power this game at 4k Ultra 60FPS+, it is in GTX 1080 or above category. Since AMD has publically displayed these systems, and reviewers has been able to peak inside the case windows, we KNOW that there is no way they could have used a different GPU. We KNOW they have these machines working. and thus we KNOW that this is the performance tier we can expect.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

That wasn't really the point. If the GPU can't drive the required performance adding more ram isn't going to help, more ram doesn't add performance.

yes it does. Even at 1080p, i have proven that it does. 4GB isnt even enough for 1080p Ultra in many games these days

Just now, Prysin said:

yes it does. Even at 1080p, i have proven that it does. 4GB isnt even enough for 1080p Ultra in many games these days

VRAM starvation causes massive performance hit/frame rate stuttering but a 5 TFLOP GPU with 4GB of VRAM and a 5 TFLOP GPU with 8GB of VRAM has exactly the same GPU performance, that was the point.

If you don't have the performance to drive 4K you don't have it, adding VRAM won't increase it or the frame rate. 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

VRAM starvation causes massive performance hit/frame rate stuttering but a 5 TFLOP GPU with 4GB of VRAM and a 5 TFLOP GPU with 8GB of VRAM has exactly the same GPU performance, that was the point.

If you don't have the performance to drive 4K you don't have it, adding VRAM won't increase it or the frame rate. 

actually, in case of HBM, the more you stack, the more bandwidth you get. due to the unique design of the packaging and TSV system. So in theory, more HBM stacks should result in more "package" performance.

The Shield console looks appealing to me for home game streaming, but then again PS4 has some really good titles in 2017 so I'm torn apart.

On top of that Steam Link and controller is being shipped to me, so if that's good enough for game streaming I'm not gonna consider Shield at all. Will see how it goes. I've been reading a lot of positive and negative feedback so I decided to try it out by myself because Steam sale. :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Just now, Prysin said:

actually, in case of HBM, the more you stack, the more bandwidth you get. due to the unique design of the packaging and TSV system. So in theory, more HBM stacks should result in more "package" performance.

Yes it will add more memory bandwidth which will overall increase the potential package performance but it's the GPU that is responsible for doing the actual rendering. So long as you have enough memory and bandwidth to supply the GPU your good, adding more will neither help nor hurt.

I mean the origin of this entire convo chain was in response to the assumption that Vega has HBM2 memory so this means the GPU will be very powerful which isn't exactly a great assumption to be making. I mean you could make an RX 460 with HBM2 memory and it wouldn't be any faster than it was before, not that this would ever happen.

It's fair to say that you wouldn't pair a slow GPU with HBM2 so the fact that Vega is using it means it will be strong is fine, but I wouldn't go round saying Vega is faster than a 1080 because it uses HBM2. No the GPU itself is faster than a 1080 (GP104-400).

Either way wooo less than 4 hours, hope the presentation is entertaining.

42 minutes ago, Prysin said:

for the second time, AMD has publically shown VEGA + Ryzen running Battlefront at 4k Ultra settings reaching 60 FPS+...

Battlefront_02.png

H7ZfzMa.png

We know that if it can power this game at 4k Ultra 60FPS+, it is in GTX 1080 or above category. Since AMD has publically displayed these systems, and reviewers has been able to peak inside the case windows, we KNOW that there is no way they could have used a different GPU. We KNOW they have these machines working. and thus we KNOW that this is the performance tier we can expect.

You should know by now that results directly from AMD, Nvidia and Intel are not to be trusted.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

if you calculate the monthly price

its actually 750 bucks

and 750 buck can fit a GTX1060 and i5 combo desktop PC

Where do you get a monthly price from?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

According the mag, the cpu was just fine at 5ghz it was the vrm on the shitty mobo holding them back.

Edit: Now I dont assume every chip will get that high but if engineering samples are looking that good it's a good sign.

it was ONE core , not ALL cores , all core overclock is estimated at 4.4ghz 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

If that one hint from the magazine is credible we could see 5ghz on zen, on air of all things.

That was on one core.

2 hours ago, Fetzie said:

At 1500 hours in Skyrim I could have bought a Titan XP with spare money. But I doubt I could have gone for that long with no mods which is the other point to make here: vanilla experiences only. Very expensive vanilla experiences.

-------

Current Rig

-------

57 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You should know by now that results directly from AMD, Nvidia and Intel are not to be trusted.

they showed the settings menu this time and everything was ok.

obviously independent reviewers are more reliable but for now this is the most reliable info we had. They had the system running on the floor live and I find it a stretch to believe that they faked fraps numbers or ran an extreme overclock pretending to be stock.

what AMD did with the fury x launch was use very specific graphics settings to show themselves in the best possible light. Again they did not lie in their benches. But they did lie about 'overclockers dreams'. This time everything was ok in the settings.