Nvidia Keynote at CES

NumLock21
Just now, leadeater said:

Well that makes no sense at all to me? What do you mean?

I was simply just stating that there is some hardware level requirement in the monitor to support freesync.

GYSNC is attacked for being proprietary. That comes at a literal cost,but GSYNC also work below 30fps. So Bad analogy AMD is Ford using roads they didn't build, and Nvidia is Chevy with 4 wheel drive going off road. 

Ford makes trucks and going off road is bumpy. Not very well thought out as analogies go. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

GYSNC is attacked for being proprietary. That comes at a literal cost,but GSYNC also work below 30fps. So Bad analogy AMD is Ford using roads they didn't build, and Nvidia is Chevy with 4 wheel drive going off road. 

Ford makes trucks and going off road is bumpy. Not very well thought out as analogies go. 

Freesync can work under 30fps as well on monitors with a VRR window of 2.5x or more. It's called Low Framerate Compensation, and works identically to how the gsync module works under 30fps.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Moving on, my door is always open fyi. (PM me)

Like Kabylake (Please don't go off topic, leadeater will spank me. I'd like it, he'd (assuming gender) like it. totally awkward) this opens the door for AMD. I really hope they can capitalize on this. We need them to, desperately. 

You guys really buy into all the rumor mill hype don't you? 

If you're betting on a 1080Ti, a better bet would be that it might get announced at Computex, just like the 980Ti. ;)

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

3 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

You guys really buy into all the rumor mill hype don't you? 

If you're betting on a 1080Ti, a better bet would be that it might get announced at Computex, just like the 980Ti. ;)

Too late. Nvidia needs to have the 1080ti on the market before Vega has a chance to maul it. Better bet is a Volta announcement ;) 

6 minutes ago, App4that said:

Too late. Nvidia needs to have the 1080ti on the market before Vega has a chance to maul it. Better bet is a Volta announcement ;) 

1080Ti wouldn't do much damage if the 490 or 590 or whatever is going to be performing near Titan XP levels, as leaks suggest it is.

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

We don't know that. Nobody knows that. Market competition at its finest. 

Let me let you in on a secret: The GPU industry is a duopoly. They'll trade blows in a 'tit-for-tat' strategy, but in the end, it's still a duopoly. Some years Nvidia may be on top, other years its AMD.

Statistically speaking each vendor's market share may shift over a short period of time (a few months) but over the long term, it stays about the same.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

1080Ti wouldn't do much damage if the 490 or 590 or whatever is going to be performing near Titan XP levels, as leaks suggest it is.

It would get crushed. Nvidia would have to sell at a loss. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

It would get crushed. Nvidia would have to sell at a loss. 

and thus, their sudden change of heart may suggest that VEGA is the deal, and that it no longer makes sense attempting to try undercut it. If performance truly is what the battlefront systems have proven, Nvidia wouldn't gain on selling that card now, and they are better off selling those GPUs are Quadros or something like that.

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

and thus, their sudden change of heart may suggest that VEGA is the deal, and that it no longer makes sense attempting to try undercut it. If performance truly is what the battlefront systems have proven, Nvidia wouldn't gain on selling that card now, and they are better off selling those GPUs are Quadros or something like that.

That's a BINGO!

Same reason the 960ti never saw the light of day, the 380x. And Nvidia will still make money from their services and the partnerships they've built. 

3 minutes ago, App4that said:

That's a BINGO!

Same reason the 960ti never saw the light of day, the 380x. And Nvidia will still make money from their services and the partnerships they've built. 

Does not surprise me the least. i recon you've already heard the news from your usual insider source... Or has he/she said nothing this time?

Just now, Prysin said:

Does not surprise me the least. i recon you've already heard the news from your usual insider source... Or has he/she said nothing this time?

Hmmm. Important thing to note is that the board for self driving ready for production, is Volta. 

10 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Nothing has been proven about an unreleased, unreviewed and unpriced architecture. 

Good grief.

5 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Nothing has been proven about an unreleased, unreviewed and unpriced architecture. 

Good grief.

How dare you try to derail the hype train? ALL ABOARD!!!!

6 minutes ago, Morgan Everett said:

Good grief.

Not exactly. We know Vega is designed for using HBM2, that's really all you need to know. If Vega reaches even 1080 performance Nvidia HAS to lower the prices to compete. Vega will crush them at 4k and above. 

4 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not exactly. We know Vega is designed for using HBM2, that's really all you need to know. If Vega reaches even 1080 performance Nvidia HAS to lower the prices to compete. Vega will crush them at 4k and above. 

A Vega GPU will probably use HBM2. It's fairly obvious that this is not all one needs to know, unless one needs to know very little indeed.

I'm sure a Vega GPU will reach a 1080's level of performance. The question is at what price, and whether the 1080 will be a relevant point of comparison at that point.

1 minute ago, Morgan Everett said:

A Vega GPU will probably use HBM2. It's fairly obvious that this is not all one needs to know, unless one needs to know very little indeed.

I'm sure a Vega GPU will reach a 1080's level of performance. The question is at what price, and whether the 1080 will be a relevant point of comparison at that point.

I disagree. If one watch is gold plated, and the other silver. That says a bunch. Assuming the watches are new, one can easily extrapolate the value disparity. 

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

And more importantly will it give people the 1080 Ti they want.

No 1080 Ti, Nvidia doesn't announce GPUs at CES because CES is... not a gaming event.

it's literally as simple as that @ everyone still mad over no 1080 Ti.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

No 1080 Ti, Nvidia doesn't announce GPUs at CES because CES is... not a gaming event.

it's literally as simple as that @ everyone still mad over no 1080 Ti.

I'm not mad xD

It's not a gaming event, yet they announced a Cloud gaming solution? You're not making the highest amount of sense there.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I'm not mad xD

It's not a gaming event, yet they announced a Butt gaming solution? You're not making the highest amount of sense there.

They announce things that target general consumers at CES. The cloud gaming service targets general consumers (e.g. people who can't afford to buy into the Nvidia ecosystem otherwise, but still want to play PC games using their tech), so yes, it was appropriate.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

They announce things that target general consumers at CES. The cloud gaming service targets general consumers (e.g. people who can't afford to buy into the Nvidia ecosystem otherwise, but still want to play PC games using their tech), so yes, it was appropriate.

Sure

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

I disagree. If one watch is gold plated, and the other silver. That says a bunch. Assuming the watches are new, one can easily extrapolate the value disparity. 

But you aren't able to "extrapolate the value disparity" from the mere fact one of these GPUs will probably sport HBM2. In that case, you're speculating, not extrapolating, and wantonly so. Much better is to reserve judgement until more information is available, as I will be doing.

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Sure

sure.