And The Software With Most Vulnerabilities In 2016 Was… Android!

LAwLz

Untitled.jpg

If you count the number of vulnerabilities in the CVE system (often hailed as THE source for publicly known vulnerabilities), Android was the software with the most known vulnerabilities in 2016, with a total of 523.

Before anyone loses their mind please remember that these are just the total number and does not put any weight on how severe the vulnerabilities are, or how complex they are to exploit.

Here is the "top 20" list:

Product Name Vendor Product Type Vulnerabilities
1 Android Google OS 523
2 Debian Linux Debian OS 319
3 Ubuntu Linux Canonical OS 278
4 Flash Player Adobe Application 266
5 Leap Novell OS 259
6 Opensuse Novell OS 228
7 Acrobat Reader Dc Adobe Application 227
8 Acrobat Dc Adobe Application 227
9 Acrobat Adobe Application 224
10 Linux Kernel Linux OS 217
11 Mac Os X Apple OS 215
12 Reader Adobe Application 204
13 Windows 10 Microsoft OS 172
14 Chrome Google Application 172
15 Iphone Os Apple OS 161
16 Windows Server 2012 Microsoft OS 156
17 Windows 8.1 Microsoft OS 154
18 Windows Rt 8.1 Microsoft OS 139
19 Edge Microsoft Application 135
20 Windows 7 Microsoft OS 134

Another interesting tidbit from this is that Windows 10 (172) had more vulnerabilities than Windows 8.1 (154) and Windows 7 (134). But Mac OS X had even more than those, with 215 in total. Again, this is just the number of vulnerabilities that are publicly known, without taking into consideration how serious they are or how quickly they were fixed (a big problem with Android phones).

Last year's "winner" was OS X with 444 vulnerabilities, followed by iOS with 387.

You can interpret this in a few ways, and there are some things to take into consideration:

1) The software on this lists, especially the open source ones, might simply be better at having exploits found, and the less common something is the less vulnerabilities are found and reported.

2) A lot of the software on the list shares the same vulnerabilities so they get counted twice.

3) For the third time, this list only looks at the number of vulnerabilities and nothing else. How quickly something gets patched is very important. What the vulnerabilities does is also important. Being able to read a few bytes from memory while having physical access to a computer is the same as remotely being able to gain admin/root privilege though the click of a button in this list.

So while the list itself doesn't really give us any useful information, it is still interesting.

EDIT: This list shows how many vulnerabilities were discovered during 2016. It is not a list of how many vulnerabilities went unfixed.

It's kind of odd to see a server OS with more vulnerabilities than a client OS that is older. You'd think that Microsoft would have worked a bit more on the Windows Server 2012 vulnerabilities, right? Especially due to how long it's been out?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

there's something I don't understand from that list

Linux Kernel has 217 hits

when looking at Debian, for example, do I extract the Linux Kernel or those are it's own vulnerabilities (OS side)

---

ps:

I find it really funny how W7 has less vulnerabilities than W10 ^_^

Windows 7 safer than Windows 10? so much for the Microsoft telling us to stay as up-to-date as possible to avoid vulnerabilities xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Good to see Windows 10 under Mac OS X :P

Yeah, but it doesn't list the threat level of the vulnerabilities. Windows 10 could have the most harmful threats.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

do I extract the Linux Kernel or those are it's own vulnerabilities (OS side)

You don't. Debian Linux would be garbled nothingness without the Kernel.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

when looking at Debian, for example, do I extract the Linux Kernel or those are it's own vulnerabilities (OS side)

Not necessarily. Kernel vulnerabilities are included in the 319 Debian ones, but because Debian doesn't use all the modules included in the Linux kernel, makes modifications to parts, adds things and so on, you can't just subtract one from another. It is also possible that something that is part of the kernel is only a vulnerability in combination with Debian specific code.

For example this one only affects Debian, while this one affects the Linux kernel, Debian and Ubuntu (and counts towards the total amount of vulnerabilities on all three).

The same goes for Windows. Here is a Windows 7 vulnerability that does not affect Windows 10, and here is one that is Windows 10 (and Server 2016) specific. But then we also have some like this one, which affects both 7 and 10.

So you can't really subtract between the Windows versions either.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

when looking at Debian, for example, do I extract the Linux Kernel or those are it's own vulnerabilities  (OS side)

---

ps:

makes sense tbh it would actually be more impressive if it was backward since 7 is older and has less features, removing the vulnerabilities that overlap from both. the ones 10 has on its own must be from feature that aren't in 7 and other releases of windows

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

---

ps:

The vulnerabilities in w7 Is shit that has existed for like 20+ years. W7 used large parts of the same kernel as W95

This list makes open source look bad, I can't wait for the Linux hippies to respond.:P

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not necessarily. Kernel vulnerabilities are included in the 319 Debian ones, but because Debian doesn't use all the modules included in the Linux kernel, makes modifications to parts, adds things and so on, you can't just subtract one from another. It is also possible that something that is part of the kernel is only a vulnerability in combination with Debian specific code.

For example this one only affects Debian, while this one affects the Linux kernel, Debian and Ubuntu (and counts towards the total amount of vulnerabilities on all three).

The same goes for Windows. Here is a Windows 7 vulnerability that does not affect Windows 10, and here is one that is Windows 10 (and Server 2016) specific. But then we also have some like this one, which affects both 7 and 10.

So you can't really subtract between the Windows versions either.

known Kernel vulnerabilities can be patched by the OS' devs, the people who compiled this list needed to be more clear

also, Debian vulnerabilities can be patched by Canonical for Ubuntu

the Windows comparison is not accurate since each OS has it's own Kernel

---

the source states that vulnerabilities are "distinct", so .. when talking about a Linux OS you should add the Kernel vulnerabilities - this makes matters much worse, but you need to know the data for each kernel version used 

4 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

This list makes open source look bad, I can't wait for the Linux hippies to respond.:P

I like Linux, but I only use it on the Raspberry Pi.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So while the list itself doesn't really give us any useful information, it is still interesting.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the results because of the questionable legitimacy of the website? Who operates that website you cited? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, peej said:

how did iPhone OS have that many vulnerabilities when it hasn't had a new version since 2009 :P 

what are you talking about?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

I'm outright calling BS on Windows being 13th, 17th, 18th and 20th. Though blow it your ass MS, Windows 7 is more secure than Windows 10:P

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wonder what the ratio of vulnerabilities to active devices/active users would look like.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'm outright calling BS on Windows being 13th, 17th, 18th and 20th. Though blow it your ass MS, Windows 7 is more secure than Windows 10:P

And I'll steal a quote from Pirates of the Caribbean cos why not.

In response to your answer..... "So it would seem" .

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the results because of the questionable legitimacy of the website? Who operates that website you cited? 

The non-profit corporation MITRE, which is funded by the US department of homeland security and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

20 minutes ago, zMeul said:

known Kernel vulnerabilities can be patched by the OS' devs, the people who compiled this list needed to be more clear

also, Debian vulnerabilities can be patched by Canonical for Ubuntu

Yes, you are completely right.

If you look at the vulnerabilities listed you can see that a lot of them were fixed just one version after they were discovered.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The non-profit corporation MITRE, which is funded by the US department of homeland security and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).

Yes, you are completely right.

If you look at the vulnerabilities listed you can see that a lot of them were fixed just one version after they were discovered.

it more than that

I looked at the latest Linux Kernel and it shows a lot lower number for known vulnerabilities - so, the numbers are inflated adding all 2016 kernels under same roof

and this makes the whole list quite inaccurate and very sensationalist

and it's doing a bad service to Linux in general since Windows' kernels do not change

for example, Ubuntu 16.10 uses Linux Kernel 4.8.x

Kernel 4.8 and subversions have, in total, 18 known vulnerabilities: https://www.cvedetails.com/version-list/33/47/1/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html

This doesnt make much sense. 

So do vulnerabilities include ones found and reported as well? If so then this chart would be accurate. The fact that many linux distros are high up would be because there  are thousands of eyes on the code and if anyone notices a hole its reported and patched immediately which would explain for the high amount. But the more people report the more that is patch and the more secure it is. So I hope people dont take this as windows is more secure than any linux distro.

Also what version of android is this based on? Is it just number of vulerabilities for the year between 4.4 to 7.1.1? If so I would expect to see a shit ton since so many devices are still on 4.4.

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I look at the latest Linux Kernel and it shows only 11 known vulnerabilities - so, the numbers are inflated adding all 2016 kernels under same roof

That's the entire point of the list... It is not a list of how many vulnerabilities something has right now. It's a list of how many vulnerabilities were found during 2016.

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and this makes the whole list quite inaccurate and very sensationalist

It's not inaccurate because that is exactly what the list shows. It shows how many vulnerabilities were found in for example Android during 2016...

I never said in the original post that the list does not take into consideration how quickly the vulnerabilities were fixed.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

It's not inaccurate because that is exactly what the list shows. It shows how many vulnerabilities were found in for example Android during 2016...

I never said in the original post that the list does not take into consideration how quickly the vulnerabilities were fixed.

Android is very fragmented

the list should've separated all Android versions not add them all up, like they did with Ubuntu and Debian for example