Super Mario Run is online-only to "Combat Piracy"

Pyrii

In a move that will only encourage piracy and cause legitimate users to have a worse experience than pirates again, Nintendo have decided to make "Super Mario Run" online-only. It is not yet known to what extent that it requires an internet connection, it could be a simple check-in or it could download the levels as you play them.

Shigeru Miyamoto in an interview with Mashable talked about the requirement of an internet connection.

I learned today that Super Mario Run requires an internet connection to play. What's the reason for that? Are there any thoughts about an offline mode?

For us, we view our software as being a very important asset for us. And also for consumers who are purchasing the game, we want to make sure that we're able to offer it to them in a way that the software is secure, and that they're able to play it in a stable environment. 

We wanted to be able to leverage that network connection with all three of the [Super Mario Run] modes to keep all of the modes functioning together and offering the game in a way that keeps the software secure. This is something that we want to continue to work on as we continue to develop the game. 

But actually, the security element is one of the reasons that we decided to go with iPhone and iOS first. So this is just — based on the current development environment — a requirement that's been built into the game to support security and the fact that the three different modes are connecting to the network and interacting with one another.

We had thought at one point that it would be nice to have the World Tour [story] mode available standalone, to be able to play without that connection. But then the challenge is when that's operating in a standalone mode, it actually complicates the connection back to the Toad Rally and Kingdom modes. And because those two modes are relying on the network save, we had to integrate the World Tour mode as well.

Just to be clear: When you say "security," you mean the risk of piracy, right?

That's correct.

Unlike our dedicated game devices, the game is not releasing in a limited number of countries. We're launching in 150 countries and each of those countries has different network environments and things like that. So it was important for us to be able to have it secure for all users.

In an Engadget article, Nintendo released this statement:

Online connectivity allows us to offer a variety of features and services that enhance the play experience. Super Mario Run is not a static experience, but rather one that players can continue to return to again and again to enjoy something new and unexpected. For example, online connectivity can offer the following:

• Access to other users' play data and scores for automatically generated Toad Rally challenges.
  • In-game events that will offer players new challenges and rewards for a limited time.
  • Linkage to Nintendo Account to access save data from multiple devices. For example, if players have Super Mario Run on their iPhone and iPad, they can share one save file across the different devices. However, this save data cannot be used with different devices at the same time.

Super Mario Run will release Dec 15th on iOS and later on Android and will cost a one time purchase of £7.99/$9.99 with no in-app transactions. A free mode is available with 4 levels

iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/super-mario-run/id1145275343?mt=8

More links:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/12/super-mario-run-online-only/

My opinion:

As someone who doesn't usually have a data package for mobile since I don't go out much I know this means I won't be able to play this while out and about with my mobile. Yet they still expect £8/$10 for a game I can only play at home. It just strikes me as a bonehead move and lack of effort on Nintendo's part. I can guarantee that there will still be cheating, and piracy will still happen for people determined enough.

I haven't played this but I agree this is yet another bad decision brought to the player by Nintendo.  

Between the gimmick bs of Wii, Wii u, 3ds, long standing lack of third party aaa game support, only releasing xl model "new" 3ds consoles in the us at least, and possibly other things I'm forgetting, it's like Nintendo doesn't care about the fans/players and is making the same type of mistakes that Apple does by doing whatever they want with no concern to if it's going cause problems for consumers and piss them off.  

Full disclosure: I own a Wii, Wii u, and a 3ds but I hate the inaccurate motion controller of the Wii, the bulky poor battery life crap screen non-retail replaceable gamepad of the Wii u, and the pointless 3D/only xl mainstream availability of the "new" 3ds.   

Edited by Bleedingyamato
Fixed spelling of "replaceable".

On no a company does t want to lose money to pirates you. Etter get all mad and protest.

Grow some balls and stop Bitiching. Just testing out the waters with anti pricey stuff. Wifi if around all over who care if you need to connected.

All I see are people crying over BS.

If you don't have data you more then likely never go out or when you do it's to a friend's or other food or someshit. Some time when you don't need to be playing a game or have time.

Walk by McDonald's and see their wifi. Or get data or if your a kid you can't complain about that aspect because you literarily can't do a thing about it.

Complaining is the first thing anyone does now. Annoying af

Everyone should own a vive.

I feel they have a legitimate reason to complain. Nintendo has once again made a bad move, and for seemingly no reason. It's way easier to pirate an online mobile game, as if it was offline available they could lock it to specific codes. The hacking part aside, they have ignored requests of games and options that the people have asked for. They are complaining because Nintendo is refusing not only their reasoning, but the reasoning of several other customer. It has nothing to do with the fact that they don't have wifi all the time, though that is a legitimate issue, especially in rural states and countries. It's more of a complaint that Nintendo is not doing anything that their fans find good.

I wonder how many wii's were sold simply because people could hack them.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Since this causes an actual inconvenience for the legitimate user, but not for pirates. This discussion needs to be had to continue to remind people that badly thought out DRM like this will only hurt your product and people's ability to play/use it.

At least systems like Denuvo are somewhat invisible, only causing longer load times on startup. But making games online-only has only ever caused headaches for users and been bad for the games that use it.

6 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Since this causes an actual inconvenience for the legitimate user, but not for pirates. This discussion needs to be had to continue to remind people that badly thought out DRM like this will only hurt your product and people's ability to play/use it.

At least systems like Denuvo are somewhat invisible, only causing longer load times on startup. But making games online-only has only ever caused headaches for users and been bad for the games that use it.

Well that's how the world works. Takes one person to ruin everything. Takes one person to private a game to make legit users get punished. 

But as time goes on they can get betterDRM that you don't even notice. But they can't if everyone bitches and give no time for updates and boycotts the game till the DRM is gone or not as intrusive like always online.

So give them time to improve DRM and no try to abolish it because it's in a state you don't like 

5 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Well that's how the world works. Takes one person to ruin everything. Takes one person to private a game to make legit users get punished. 

But as time goes on they can get betterDRM that you don't even notice. But they can't if everyone bitches and give no time for updates and boycotts the game till the DRM is gone or not as intrusive like always online.

So give them time to improve DRM and no try to abolish it because it's in a state you don't like 

I believe bad DRM should be called out and brought attention to wherever it rears it's ugly head. On this occasion it is due to laziness as they even stated that they were considering an offline mode but they claimed it would require too much work. If we don't put pressure on them with articles like this, then they'll have no incentive to change now or in the future. Nothing will change if you don't fight.

People will always pirate. I'm not advocating piracy, but it will happen. People will also cheat. And these measures will not prevent that, it will ONLY affect legitimate PAYING users.

inb4 modded version that bypasses this

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

it seams like a stupid move given how hard it is to pirate on ios.....i mean on android its easy but this isnt coming to android at the moment

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

12 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

I believe bad DRM should be called out and brought attention to wherever it rears it's ugly head. On this occasion it is due to laziness as they even stated that they were considering an offline mode but they claimed it would require too much work. If we don't put pressure on them with articles like this, then they'll have no incentive to change now or in the future. Nothing will change if you don't fight.

People will always pirate. I'm not advocating piracy, but it will happen. People will also cheat. And these measures will not prevent that, it will ONLY affect legitimate PAYING users.

Well that's why they want online. The pirates can't play it or can't use all the features and that might make playing unplayable.

I think the best to let DRM run its track and hope they evolve. Personally I've never had issues with DRM and I've been On both side of the spectrum.

11 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

it seams like a stupid move given how hard it is to pirate on ios.....i mean on android its easy but this isnt coming to android at the moment

It is coming to Android. They announced pretty early on that it's a timed exclusive for iOS and will be ported to Android "shortly" after launch.

To combat piracy? Isn't the game free ?

In any case, they will never be able to curb piracy just with that. I fully expect a modded, offline version to be released within a week.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't know what is the problem with this. Most smartphone users have internet connection on their devices. Stop making it big deal!

34 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

DRM most die IMHO... GoG and CD project Red are good examples of this, they dont use DRM but despite this they have no financial problems. If you deliver a quality game at a reasonable price you dont even need DRM.

14 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

To combat piracy? Isn't the game free ?

In any case, they will never be able to curb piracy just with that. I fully expect a modded, offline version to be released within a week.

It's £8/$10 one time purchase. There will be a free 4-level demo.

13 minutes ago, GooDBoY920 said:

I don't know what is the problem with this. Most smartphone users have internet connection on their devices. Stop making it big deal!

what happens if you're in the subway, on a cruise, or on a plane?

Also, it is available on the iPod touch/ipad (i assume).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

DRM most die IMHO... GoG and CD project Red are good examples of this, they dont use DRM but despite this they have no financial problems. If you deliver a quality game at a reasonable price you dont even need DRM.

Well all the games I've torrented in the past have been from GOG so that's lost out money lol.

But I think hating DRM is a bandwagon thing. I have no isses with any DRM enabled game I play. Not slower not having issues and whatnot.

I've only had issues with torrented games like cant change FOV in some because it's not legit and stuff like that.

And now I have made my text all weird somehow. Didn't know mobile could do this lol 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

what happens if you're in the subway or on a plane?

Most planes have wifi now. As for subways I'd assume if you have data you'd still have reception. If now a subway ride won't last hours and hours so wait like a normal human? 

2 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

Most planes have wifi now.

As for subways I'd assume if you have data you'd still have reception.

If now a subway ride won't last hours and hours so wait like a normal human? 

A lot of planes have wifi....if you're willing to pay a fortune to use it. Most airlines don't offer it for free.

At least 70% of the time there is no service in the subways.

But realize when most people are going to be playing this -- during their commute -- not when they're at home and can be doing other things.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, MANIDY inc said:

On no a company does t want to lose money to pirates you. Etter get all mad and protest.

Grow some balls and stop Bitiching. Just testing out the waters with anti pricey stuff. Wifi if around all over who care if you need to connected.

All I see are people crying over BS.

If you don't have data you more then likely never go out or when you do it's to a friend's or other food or someshit. Some time when you don't need to be playing a game or have time.

Walk by McDonald's and see their wifi. Or get data or if your a kid you can't complain about that aspect because you literarily can't do a thing about it.

Bullshit. Pirates will pirate it anyway. This only makes the experience worse for paying customers. There are perfectly good reasons not to have a data plan or want to keep it off.  Not to mention there are places where the signal is not good enough.

It's funny you'd say "if you're a kid" as if one of the main audiences of mario games weren't kids.

Complaining is what we do when we don't want to get screwed by greedy and stupid corporations, you should try it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Wait, people actually care about one of the worst game concepts out there?

cheesus krust...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Wait, people actually care about one of the worst game concepts out there?

cheesus krust...

While I agree, this topic wasn't really to discuss the gameplay, but the DRM used. Honestly, everything about this is lazy.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A lot of planes have wifi....if you're willing to pay a fortune to use it. Most airlines don't offer it for free.

At least 70% of the time there is no service in the subways.

But realize when most people are going to be playing this -- during their commute -- not when they're at home and can be doing other things.

My guess is most people playing this game will be kids or young adults/teens

The majority not even knowing what DRM means. And people using it on a school bus or city bus and will probably have wifi.

It's not this is the first app that requires I ternet. You don't see people crying when they can't play clash of clans because it's a server based online only game.

And if they can deal with they why is this such a big deal? Just becase it could be played offline? 

There are plenty others runner games you can play while you wait like subway surfers.

This honesty doesnt matter is should not be a big deal. You know you don't have to complain about stuff like this.

We need more company's that don't push over becase everyone complains. DRM or not it will still make bank.

It's just man child's who give a fuck about this like this. Of a five your old can deal with it I think a grown adult or teen can.

2 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

While I agree, this topic wasn't really to discuss the gameplay, but the DRM used. Honestly, everything about this is lazy.

I haven't even looked at how the game looks, but I bet it's the exact same freaking thing as every other runner, but with a Mario theme and a billion microtransactions.

Also, most every runner-mechanic game out there (Looking at you, Gameloft. You too, Ubisoft!) have been using online-only DRM for... ages.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220