Nvidia adds telemetry to Geforce experience its latest drivers (Update)

Castdeath97
Go to solution Solved by Castdeath97,

Update: This probably have been misunderstood by some

http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2672-geforce-experience-data-transfer-analysis

It's been brought to our attention that nVIDIA now has telemetry included with its drivers (most likely) if you installed GeForce Experience with the drivers. I'm getting conflicting reports whether it's specific to GeForce Experience or not.

In case you need a reminder on telemetry:

First, let's go over what these are. Telemetry is essentially considered spying by many as it is a way to send data back and forth. It's nowhere near that simple, but we'd like to know what it's doing in our video drivers when it's never been needed before. nVIDIA Wireless Controller requires you have, you guessed it, a nVIDIA Wireless Controller. ShadowPlay is a way to capture and record gameplay.

The article does however show how you can remove it: http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

Okay, this sounds a bit concerning, some Reddit users have pointed out that this could be used to collect user data: 7c460e87f8.png

source again in case you missed it: http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/nvidia_adds_telemetry_to_latest_drivers_heres_how_to_disable_it.html

UPDATE: GamerNexus have taken a look at that collected data

http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2672-geforce-experience-data-transfer-analysis

It seems that this may have been misunderstood and/or overly sensationalised as the data collected doesn't seem that personal.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

3 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

and why the hell is this needed????

So they can spy on you and find out how badly your system is playing games.

Then they can serve ADs about the new GTX 1080

/jk

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What the hell?
This is totaly unnecessary and kick in the balls of their customers.

Also remember the outrage when people were discussing that you will need to register with mail for the GForceExperience? Other people were defending it that it is just a mail. Now they are stepping up their game... I dont like this. If it is just GForceExperience thing I may be able to swallow it as I dont use ShadowPlay much but this just makes me want to return my GSync monitor I just got recently and sell my 1060 and go for Vega when it comes out.

Just now, WereCat said:

What the hell?

Also remember the outrage when people were discussing that you will need to register with mail for the GForceExperience? Other people were defending it that it is just a mail. Now they are stepping up their game... I dont like this. If it is just GForceExperience thing I may be able to swallow it as I dont use ShadowPlay much but this just makes me want to return my GSync monitor I just got recently and sell my 1060 and go to Vega when it comes out.

Well now I know 100% what company will provide my next GPU, AMD.

Even if RX 490 doesn't become a thing, I can always buy a RX 480 or Vega.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

What the hell?

Also remember the outrage when people were discussing that you will need to register with mail for the GForceExperience? Other people were defending it that it is just a mail. Now they are stepping up their game... I dont like this. If it is just GForceExperience thing I may be able to swallow it as I dont use ShadowPlay much but this just makes me want to return my GSync monitor I just got recently and sell my 1060 and go to Vega when it comes out.

yea guess i'll be waiting with upgrading my gpu, also gonna read AMD's privacy policy though because they might just as well do it.

BTW-I could go back to the launch drivers and be OK with them, because I have very few games from post 2014. 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

*looks to right through case window at RX 480*

*looks at AMD Crimson icon in taskbar*

*smiles*

I wish I could say the same, but I've been put off updating my GPU for a while.

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well now I know 100% what company will provide my next GPU, AMD.

Even if RX 490 doesn't become a thing, I can always buy a RX 480 or Vega.

I am really pissed by this. I just got GSync monitor which was quite expensive and I wanted to return it even before these news because of how much trouble there is with it if you run multiple monitor setup but I decided against it as it does look quite nice but is nowehere worth €200 extra. Now I am really considering returning it as I have time untill friday. Because this just locks me to NVIDIA and will make me to upgrade to another NVIDIA card.

7 minutes ago, tlink said:

yea guess i'll be waiting with upgrading my gpu, also gonna read AMD's privacy policy though because they might just as well do it.

Well if both AMD and NVIDIA do it it will really suck as you will have no real choice to avoid it unless you can just go with Intel and you dont care about games or GPU accelerated tasks at all.

7 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Just run the old GeForce Expierience (pre 3.0), and block it from updating. You can still update drivers.

But no-one's sure yet if the spying is built into GeForce Experience or the drivers themselves...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Then they can serve ADs about the new GTX 1080

then you get the GTX 1080 but you get ads about the titan XP instead

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

AMD FTW (even though I have gtx 970)

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Or just remove GFE and be done with it?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

12 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Or just remove GFE and be done with it?

From the linked article 

I'm getting conflicting reports whether it's specific to GeForce Experience or not.

16 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Why does nvidia need to now your address? Are they gonna send us free 1080s? 

If only...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

From the linked article 

The wording got me pretty confused, figured it was only in GFE. Well shit then. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just gonna add that to the list of reasons why I think this gen of Nvidia cards sucks

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I just checked it on my notebook, reinstalled the drivers yesterday without geforce experience aaand...

It's there.

The damn telemetry sh*t is there, sadly i can't just get rid of the 610M that's in there so for now i'll just have to check it from time to time to make sure it's off.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'm just gonna guess this is going to be forgotten about within a few days and Geforce sales will not even hitch a little.

It's Nvidia being Nvidia, nothing surprising to see here.

Welcome to 2016, where everyone and everything is spying on you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro