Why Linus is wrong (another macbook topic)

6 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Let's see, Apples current sales are down, and they're projected to keep falling.

Yeah. let's see.

Nearly 5 million sales on the crappy macbook with only 1 port, in THREE MONTHS.

Do you really think the macbook pro " will not be purchased by a severe number of people " ???

xD

Sorry, but your logic is ridiculous.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I worked in Retail for 2 years. Trust me when I say. People come in to buy the cheapest piece of shit computer they can afford. Im also a college student. Although I would say their is about a 50/50 shot of some one owning a Macbook at my college. They aint going to go out and spend 3 grand. Sorry, but college students are poor. Last I checked Mac OS hold maybe a 6% market share. How many of those are hackentosh's? Why do you think Apple choose the Macbook to test out the USB Type C ports? Because its low volume. On top of the fact, more and more people are doing shit with their phones. PC sales have been down due to this. I have a class mate who does all his notes on a Samsung Galaxy Tab, with a Bluetooth keyboard. The Macbook Pro is a low volume product. Also, you have Youtuber like Chris Prillio who is an Apple Fan Boy who is not impressed. If their Fan Boys aint impressed, I dont expect Apple to come out well. 

Now I aint saying this wont help the USB Type C cause. As I think its great, mainly because you can use it to charge. Maybe in the future we can have universal laptop chargers as a result. Here is another concern. USB Type C ports have been used for USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt. BUT some might not support one or the other. So that means people need to know the standard better. Most people are ignorant. So now whats going to happen? Is USB Type C going to require you to have USB and Thunderbolt capabilities. How is that going to work? Because many non-tech like people might assume a Type C port means both are supported. Just saying. 

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Do you really think the macbook pro " will not be purchased by a severe number of people " ???

xD

I also recall that the "Macbook" didnt cost as much as a "Macbook Pro". 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I worked in Retail for 2 years. Trust me when I say. People come in to buy the cheapest piece of shit computer they can afford. Im also a college student. Although I would say their is about a 50/50 shot of some one owning a Macbook at my college. They aint going to go out and spend 3 grand. Sorry, but college students are poor. Last I checked Mac OS hold maybe a 6% market share. How many of those are hackentosh's? Why do you think Apple choose the Macbook to test out the USB Type C ports? Because its low volume. On top of the fact, more and more people are doing shit with their phones. PC sales have been down due to this. I have a class mate who does all his notes on a Samsung Galaxy Tab, with a Bluetooth keyboard. The Macbook Pro is a low volume product. Also, you have Youtuber like Chris Prillio who is an Apple Fan Boy who is not impressed. If their Fan Boys aint impressed, I dont expect Apple to come out well. 

Now I aint saying this wont help the USB Type C cause. As I think its great, mainly because you can use it to charge. Maybe in the future we can have universal laptop chargers as a result. Here is another concern. USB Type C ports have been used for USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt. BUT some might not support one or the other. So that means people need to know the standard better. Most people are ignorant. So now whats going to happen? Is USB Type C going to require you to have USB and Thunderbolt capabilities. How is that going to work? Because many non-tech like people might assume a Type C port means both are supported. Just saying. 

Idk where you live, but this is what north american universities and colleges look like:

Image result for college macbooks everywhere

And btw, I have seen WAY more macbook pros than airs and non-pro macbooks combined.

So yeah, again another person that doesn't understand how many millions of products apple sells worldwide.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It all comes down to 2 things.

I have a lot of USB sticks, SD-Cards I now need an adapter for. Pain in the ass. That's because the device needed to be a couple millimeters thinner, yeah right.

They jacked up the price by 200-400 dollars again compared to previous gen MBP.

USB-C is awesome and all but the shouldn't have done away with USB-A and the Mag-Safe so quickly...

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

On 29/10/2016 at 8:49 AM, zMeul said:

USB type C is not mainstream at all

hell, they didn't even finished adding features to the fucking standard

oh, and one more thing - the moment USB type C cables stop murdering the devices they got plugged in, that's when USB type C has a chance to go mainstream

guess what?! Apple does not provide docks or adapters to type A ports (shipped with the product), so your excuse of no more 10 different type of cables just went to the way of the do-do

you want to plug your iPhone into your MacBook PRO, buy an adapter or cable

you want to plug your printer, buy an adapter or cable

want to plug a 2nd display or TV, wait for it ... you need another cable

want to plug your LAN cable? nop! you need an adapter

and the list goes on and on

how well did it go when they 1st introduced the type C to MacBooks? that well, eh ...

the fucking things cost ~3000$ would've hurt them to add a DP or at least a HDMI, or a type A? nope

but they kept the 3.5mm jack - that should tell you something

---

my pos HP Pavilion from 2013 has HDMI, USB2, USB3 and LAN ports, SD card reader and audio jack

they are still adding shit to HDMI 1.4a too, so your point is?

On 10/29/2016 at 5:37 PM, Enderman said:

Stuff like USB drives with a fixed connector will need an adapter, but in the future all USB devices will use the C connector anyway.

The thing is, with the move to USB-C apple has released no USB-C peripherals, nothing at all, only adapters. By the time USB-C stuff actually comes out the 2016 macbook "pro" will be old, I don't understand apple's reasoning for this, and they actually made the macbook thinner which is pointless imo

On 10/29/2016 at 5:37 PM, Enderman said:

This benefits EVERYBODY, since we will all be using USB-C in a few years.

Exactly this, I see no reason why to get a macbook now, when we wont even be able to use the ports until a few years later, it makes no sense. If we buy this product we expect to be able to use these ports by the time we actually purchase it, not a few years later

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

The thing is, with the move to USB-C apple has released no USB-C peripherals, nothing at all, only adapters. By the time USB-C stuff actually comes out the 2016 macbook "pro" will be old, I don't understand apple's reasoning for this, and they actually made the macbook thinner which is pointless imo

Exactly this, I see no reason why to get a macbook now, when we wont even be able to use the ports until a few years later, it makes no sense. If we buy this product we expect to be able to use these ports by the time we actually purchase it, not a few years later

They partnered with LG to release a USB-C 5k monitor: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display?fnode=8a, there is also a 4k monitor: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKMY2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display?fnode=8a&fs=f%3D15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016%26fh%3D4593%2B4804,  and most Apple peripherals work over bluetooth/wifi. Also, if you look through Apple's Mac-accessories page, you'll see that there are USB-c HDDs/flash drives: http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/storage?page=1#!&f=15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=3783%2B4804.

Some audio stuff: http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/creativity?page=1#!&f=15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=47a4%2B4804

Also, I kept my last Mac for over six years, and I'll likely keep my current Mac for at least that long if not longer. So, I'd be annoyed if it used any type-A connectors instead of type-C since in a few years I'd have 1/2/x connectors that are basically worthless. There are already usb-c products, and that number will likely grow very quickly as companies will want to capitalize on the switch to USB-C. PLUS, a lot of things (like my external hdd) have external cables with a standard connector, so I can just replace the micro-B to type A with a micro-B to type c right now. Either I'm going to buy adapters/rebuy my usb-a stuff now or I'll have to do it in the future, I'd rather do it now then have even more type-a stuff to deal with. 

As for it being thinner, that's what a lot of people wanted. That's why the Air sold so well, and that's why even the 12" Macbook sold. People do want thinner/lighter. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

xD

Well lets see,

Your 5 Million in sales is below what Apple accomplished the previous MacBook launch.

Yes, My logic may seem ridiculous to you, but in reality it makes sense.

To an extent, I will agree with the OP that objectively, USB-C looks to be a vast improvement upon it's predecessor in nearly every way. However, implementation appears to be less than ideal. Most OEMs tend not to bother on their lower end lines, while Apple goes the opposite direction and use nothing but. Not a lot as far as middle ground goes, unless you own a desktop and can stick USB-C ports on it. 

I for one don't quite mind Apple's move here as I'm not an Apple customer. I'll let the Guinea pigs get the (hamster) ball rolling. 

I will say that sticking only the one port on the MacBook for both charging and data was/is an utterly dumb idea. That thing practically mandates the use of adaptors, at least, if I had the misfortune to accidently purchase one. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

46 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I for one don't quite mind Apple's move here as I'm not an Apple customer. I'll let the Guinea pigs get the (hamster) ball rolling. 

I will say that sticking only the one port on the MacBook for both charging and data was/is an utterly dumb idea. That thing practically mandates the use of adaptors, at least, if I had the misfortune to accidently purchase one. 

That's exactly what is so great about this. The apple customers start the mass adoption of USB-C by force, and then a few years from now, when regular PC users like us feel like switching, all we have to do is buy USB-C cables because all the latest hardware we own will already have had USB-C implemented on it.

Also, yeah the first macbook with only one port was stupid, because that was a USB 3.1 type C port, not a tunderbolt 3 USB-C port.

That means you can't daisy chain stuff or use a monitor as a dock with external storage and power delivery and all that stuff.

Stuff like HDMI and DP needs an active adapter, you can't directly use a USB C cable to hook up those display devices.

The USB C ports on the macbook pro are far superior.

6 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

There is a USB-C monitor they released in combination with LG, which provides power and USB-C dock for daisy chaining more devices like the USB-C storage they also released in combination with another company. There are also many USB -C USB drives on the market right now, and you can also use any peripheral with a removable cable with USB-C because you can buy a USB-C to micro USB cable, or whatever your peripheral uses (my mouse is micro USB). Or you can also replace your HDMI-HDMI cables with a USB-C to HDMI cable, and DP-DP cables with USB-C to DP, since all monitors and TVs have removable cables.

As you can see, the ports are definitely usable at this point in time.

Having another few million people using them will definitely make even more manufacturers add USB-C to more devices.

At that point you will only need USB-C to USB-C cables instead of USB-C to HDMI or whatever. See the benefit??

Spoiler

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

They partnered with LG to release a USB-C 5k monitor: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display?fnode=8a, there is also a 4k monitor: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKMY2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display?fnode=8a&fs=f%3D15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016%26fh%3D4593%2B4804,  and most Apple peripherals work over bluetooth/wifi. Also, if you look through Apple's Mac-accessories page, you'll see that there are USB-c HDDs/flash drives: http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/storage?page=1#!&f=15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=3783%2B4804.

Some audio stuff: http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/creativity?page=1#!&f=15_mbp_thdblt3_late2016&fh=47a4%2B4804

PLUS, a lot of things (like my external hdd) have external cables with a standard connector, so I can just replace the micro-B to type A with a micro-B to type c right now. Either I'm going to buy adapters/rebuy my usb-a stuff now or I'll have to do it in the future, I'd rather do it now then have even more type-a stuff to deal with. 

The thing is those monitors don't have any other ports other than usb-c so you cant plug your graphics card into it (or can displayport be converted into usb-c? not really sure), and the usb hub has even more usb-c ports which would require even more adapters. 
I do not like wireless peripherals, and the peripherals that are wired and have a disconnectable cable are usually much more expensive or are just not as good as the hard wired model, for example I love the apple wired keyboard but there is no other alternative so I would need to use adapters which make the setup bulky and expensive. peripherals that require proprietary cables/dongles like logitech's mouses would require adapters which  would make it stick out like a sore thumb. The problem here is cost and ease of use, it's going to be a pain in the ass to use adapters with these USB-A devices and it will be much more expensive.

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

That's exactly what is so great about this. The apple customers start the mass adoption of USB-C by force, and then a few years from now, when regular PC users like us feel like switching, all we have to do is buy USB-C cables because all the latest hardware we own will already have had USB-C implemented on it.

There is a USB-C monitor they released in combination with LG, which provides power and USB-C dock for daisy chaining more devices like the USB-C storage they also released in combination with another company. There are also many USB -C USB drives on the market right now, and you can also use any peripheral with a removable cable with USB-C because you can buy a USB-C to micro USB cable, or whatever your peripheral uses (my mouse is micro USB). Or you can also replace your HDMI-HDMI cables with a USB-C to HDMI cable, and DP-DP cables with USB-C to DP, since all monitors and TVs have removable cables.

Storage is fine, but peripherals are an issue, few of them have removable cables, and the ones that do are too expensive or do not appeal to me. 
I expect these devices to be available by the time I would get this macbook. The macbook with 1 USB-C has been out for, what?, a year or something? and yet all I see are usb-c storage and monitors but no peripherals? I do not like the move to wireless devices.

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

As you can see, the ports are definitely usable at this point in time.

Having another few million people using them will definitely make even more manufacturers add USB-C to more devices.

At that point you will only need USB-C to USB-C cables instead of USB-C to HDMI or whatever. See the benefit??

Yeah I suppose there is a long term benefit, but for the short term it doesn't make much sense, you can't even plug in your iphone... wtf apple!? I expect 1st party support with a new product not some half assed attempt.
EDIT: If apple really wants to push USB-C why do they still use the shitty lightning port on their mobile devices?? It really doesn't make much sense to me

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

The thing is those monitors don't have any other ports other than usb-c so you cant plug your graphics card into it (or can displayport be converted into usb-c? not really sure), and the usb hub has even more usb-c ports which would require even more adapters. 
I do not like wireless peripherals, and the peripherals that are wired and have a disconnectable cable are usually much more expensive or are just not as good as the hard wired model, for example I love the apple wired keyboard but there is no other alternative so I would need to use adapters which make the setup bulky and expensive. peripherals that require proprietary cables/dongles like logitech's mouses would require adapters which  would make it stick out like a sore thumb. The problem here is cost and ease of use, it's going to be a pain in the ass to use adapters with these USB-A devices and it will be much more expensive.

Storage is fine, but peripherals are an issue, few of them have removable cables, and the ones that do are too expensive or do not appeal to me. 
I expect these devices to be available by the time I would get this macbook. The macbook with 1 USB-C has been out for, what?, a year or something? and yet all I see are usb-c storage and monitors but no peripherals? I do not like the move to wireless devices.

Yeah I suppose there is a long term benefit, but for the short term it doesn't make much sense, you can't even plug in your iphone... wtf apple!? I expect 1st party support with a new product not some half assed attempt.

The macbook with 1 USB-C is only USB 3.1.

That is very different from the macbook pro which has thunderbolt 3, which is what allows higher bandwidth, USB, HDMI, and displayport.

Yes you can plug in your iphone. Instead of using a lightning to USB A cable, you use a lightning to USB C cable.

$10 for a cable is not a lot for someone who can spend $3k on a laptop.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

EDIT: If apple really wants to push USB-C why do they still use the shitty lightning port on their mobile devices?? It really doesn't make much sense to me

DP can be adapted to USB-C as Apple is using the full usb-c thunderbolt 3 standard. 

I'm not saying it won't be annoying/painful, but at some point you'll have to make the switch. I don't see any reason to push it off (which would just lead to even more usb-a items you'd have to replace/adapt). Also, it won't be long before Logitech releases a usb-c unifying receiver, and you can get usb-c to type a adapters for things like mice for pretty cheap. 

You can get a ligthning to usb-c cable. Apple really should have included at least one adapter and a usb-c to lightning cable, but whatever it's not the biggest deal since you can get cables cheap anyway. 

Lightning isn't shitty. The only problem with lightning is a lack of standardization....but they really should have switched to usb-c along with the Macs, although it's also possible they'd rather test things out on something which doesn't account for the vast majority of their profits.  

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 10/29/2016 at 0:48 AM, dizmo said:

I find it hilarious that some people will back this ideal fully, however when it comes to things like 8GB of RAM on phones they get all bent out of shape saying it's pointless. It's the exact same thing. Chicken and egg.

I'm no fan of apple but I'd fall into the category you mention. I do think 8GB of RAM is useless (as of right now), but I also like the USB-C unification of the macbooks.

Personally I wouldn't buy them. I wouldn't recommend them to most people either. I don't think it's a smart buy right now.

The reason I like their direction is Apple is the one (of few or maybe only) companies that can make a product that needs all these accessories and adapters, and then have people go buy their product or create the necessary accessories. If any Windows based manufacturer made a laptop like this, the majority of people will just look for another model with all the ports they want/use. Because Apple is doing this it creates a market for USB-C devices and accessories. Hopefully over the next few years we wont need an adapter for a USB-C port, but the other way. Adapting a displayport or Type A port to a USB-C port so we can plug in our USB-C devices.

This is all part of my ideal laptop experience where I come home from school/work and set my laptop on my desk, plug in one cable, and have a full desktop ready to go. Connected via the single cable should be power for charging the laptop, display out to the monitor, ethernet port, SD Card reader, and a USB splitter for keyboard, mouse, and a few open for whatever else I might need like a DAC. (and depending on the user, an external GPU).

This can basically be achieved right now with some of the USB-C splitter/hubs.

not everyone is right, @nicklmg, colten an anyone who also gets the news topics for the WAN show; if everyone was right then what is the point of learning exams, tests, and other things to test knowledge and brain power?

the only thing we can do to ensure that linus is corrected is by....

laughing at him and saying he's wrong..... haha

@LinusTech

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 minute ago, samiscool51 said:

the only thing we can do to ensure that linus is corrected is by....

laughing at him and saying he's wrong

Did you even bother to read??

Nobody is laughing or just "saying he is wrong"

The 4 pages of this topic is 100% discussion to educate linus and everyone else who had incorrect or uninformed opinions like "oh no i can't use my devices with this laptop"

Get it?

E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N

Aka explaining why someone is wrong in order to correct them.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Listen, I don't run any Proprietary Products.

And, if USB Promoter Group actually cared, they wouldn't be so terrible with Linux.

Also, you fail to realize that Legacy Products, in many cases, are actually far superior to the modern products.

So, moving ahead, more adapters.

USB Type C has no place in the current market, maybe, if the USBPG had just waited a little longer to get more manufacturers to have some launch products, I wouldn't have working with it so much.

One of my biggest issues is the support for USB-C. But on the other hand I must disagree with you. USB-C  HAS to be in the market or else there will never be any adoption,. Honestly just the fact that almost every new high-end laptop and motherboard already has USB-C is a great sign (even though a bit slow). In addition most android phones coming out are going to USB-C from now on. The reason that USB 2 and 3 adoption was so seamless was because of automatic backwards compatibility. 

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

People keep quoting the 3 grand number but to be fair the laptop most people are going to buy is the 1500 model. Yea the 3.1/TB3 version is going to be very confusing for the average consumer.

18 hours ago, Enderman said:

Idk where you live, but this is what north american universities and colleges look like:

Image result for college macbooks everywhere

And btw, I have seen WAY more macbook pros than airs and non-pro macbooks combined.

So yeah, again another person that doesn't understand how many millions of products apple sells worldwide.

That is NOT a typical US college. That's just one where most people happened to have mac computers. There are a significant number of apple computers but that picture is intentionally misleading and I'm pretty sure you know it too.

16 hours ago, Vode said:

It all comes down to 2 things.

I have a lot of USB sticks, SD-Cards I now need an adapter for. Pain in the ass. That's because the device needed to be a couple millimeters thinner, yeah right.

They jacked up the price by 200-400 dollars again compared to previous gen MBP.

USB-C is awesome and all but the shouldn't have done away with USB-A and the Mag-Safe so quickly...

*see below*

13 hours ago, rattacko123 said:

Honestly I don't think people should buy the current macbook, but I still appreciate it's existence in pushing the standard out.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N

Aka explaining why someone is wrong in order to correct them.

i went to a state school...

they didn't care about an E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N....

all they cared about is money they got....

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

22 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

i went to a state school...

they didn't care about an E-D-U-C-A-T-I-O-N....

all they cared about is money they got....

What does that have to do with this topic?

I think it's pretty obvious I'm trying to explain things to people who don't understand, not laugh at them and just say "you're wrong."

Spoiler

On 10/29/2016 at 1:49 AM, zMeul said:

USB type C is not mainstream at all

hell, they didn't even finished adding features to the fucking standard

oh, and one more thing - the moment USB type C cables stop murdering the devices they got plugged in, that's when USB type C has a chance to go mainstream

guess what?! Apple does not provide docks or adapters to type A ports (shipped with the product), so your excuse of no more 10 different type of cables just went to the way of the do-do

you want to plug your iPhone into your MacBook PRO, buy an adapter or cable

you want to plug your printer, buy an adapter or cable

want to plug a 2nd display or TV, wait for it ... you need another cable

want to plug your LAN cable? nop! you need an adapter

and the list goes on and on

how well did it go when they 1st introduced the type C to MacBooks? that well, eh ...

the fucking things cost ~3000$ would've hurt them to add a DP or at least a HDMI, or a type A? nope

but they kept the 3.5mm jack - that should tell you something

---

my pos HP Pavilion from 2013 has HDMI, USB2, USB3 and LAN ports, SD card reader and audio jack

USB wasn't mainstream when the iMac came out. Basically, Apple is repeating history here, except in a sloppier fashion.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

24 minutes ago, bobhays said:

That is NOT a typical US college. That's just one where most people happened to have mac computers. There are a significant number of apple computers but that picture is intentionally misleading and I'm pretty sure you know it too.

Well that's exactly what my particular university looks like.

At least in the classes that require a laptop in class, because in classes that don't some people use pen and paper instead of their laptop.

But when people bring out their laptops, yes, that's exactly what it looks like. more than three quarters are apple.

In the past year I have started to see several XPS laptops instead of macbooks though, like maybe 5%.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

USB wasn't mainstream when the iMac came out. Basically, Apple is repeating history here, except in a sloppier fashion.

oh, so it's Apple who popularized connectors now?

how's that TB connector going on? oh .. dead

Just now, zMeul said:

Apple basically did make USB a standard in a sense even if they were trying to force FireWire and Thunderbolt down the industry's throats.

Remember, Apple also forced (Mini) DisplayPort down the industry's throats and look how that turned out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I think it was very courageous of you to make this post.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

A lot of high end audio equipment uses thunderbolt.

Linus uses thunderbolt.

The ports on the new macbook are thunderbolt.

The problem was that thunderbolt 1 and 2 were non-standard connectors. Type-C USB is the new standard to replace USB-A, so this will make the adoption rate of thunderbolt 3 much higher.

Spoiler