Why Linus is wrong (another macbook topic)

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Yeah?  It would be logical for a company to test products thoroughly before selling them to consumers.  Even if there's no standardized method for USB-C cables that doesn't stop Anker from devising their own tests and if nothing else trying the cable with various devices and usage situations to see if anything bad happens.

Or even like the guy in the video in your topic did and used a couple of testing things to show the cable was able to output far too much voltage.  No reason Anker couldn't have bought those testing things and replicated his tests.

to test something you have to know what you are testing for, unless you discover it by mistake - most of the breaktrough in science were made by searching for something else and stumbling upon something entirely new

that cable was USB-IF certified, it means the USB-IF certification does not test that particular scenario

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

-snip-

Whats relevant for the next 6 months wont be in the upcoming 6...

Also, getting an adaptar that will last (high quality ones), is the best choice people have. But if they can ditch 2499$ for example, its not a problem at all.

Groomlake Authority

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Type C is going to replacing A.

Everything will be using C in a few year, just like everything uses A right now.

Forcing people to switch is the fastest way to transition to new standards.

For now, a few adapters and new cables are not a huge issue imo.

The problem with that is most people don't like being forced to use something they don't want.  ?

Just saying.  ?

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Whats relevant for the next 6 months wont be in the upcoming 6...

Also, getting an adaptar that will last (high quality ones), is the best choice people have. But if they can ditch 2499$ for example, its not a problem at all.

there's no single adapter that does all of that

have you checked Apple's accessories shop lately? http://www.apple.com/shop/mac/mac-accessories/power-cables

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

-snip-

Well, at least they shouldnt in theory make the Macbook Pro light up in fire, whereas if it were from uncerfitied adapters, it would be gg :p.

Most editors will only need the SD Card adapter for 49$ and morethanlikely will get the new LG 4K and 5K displays made to work in tandem with the Macbooks.

Groomlake Authority

33 minutes ago, zMeul said:

to test something you have to know what you are testing for, unless you discover it by mistake - most of the breaktrough in science were made by searching for something else and stumbling upon something entirely new

that cable was USB-IF certified, it means the USB-IF certification does not test that particular scenario

It would be a good idea when testing new products to test for everything that could be possible or with any reasonable chance of happening.  

Essentially: hope for the best but plan for the worst.  

Testing more thoroughly might've revealed the flaws with the cable that slipped by the standard certification tests.  I'm not saying they need to be psychic but simply more thorough.  Sit in a room thinking of every possible way the cable could be defective level thorough.   

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Anyone can make an engineering mistake. Look at Samsung.

True.  But more exhaustive testing beyond what was required might have revealed the flaws with the cable.  Better r&d is cheaper than eating the cost of replacing any buyer's cable once they've fixed the issues and any potential legal trouble from destroyed property.  

The new Macbook pros look great and i think they are ok priced ( a bit overpriced but not by a huge margin).

The Problem is: They are not pro. As a software engineer that works as a freelancer, i won't have a problem with it, but as a guy who shoots photos, produces music and makes some UI's in his freetime and a bit of 3d modelling, i think the new Macbooks aren't really that great.

I now need an adapter to get that sd card in. I need 2 HDMI adapters to get my 2 displays up (only needed one from thunderbolt before). I need an adapter for my audio interface (which is USB 3.0). I need an adapter for my mouse (again USB 3.0).  I need an adapter to plug in my phone (again USB 3.0), and i need an adapter for my wacom tablet (again usb 3.0). And dont get me started on hard drives. Noone i know has gotten an USB C Harddrive, because it is bloody expensive to upgrade all his hardware to USB (for most working professionals it would be a Desktop and Laptop). 

I think USB C is the future, but the thing is, it isn't here yet. It might be 2 years before most consumers adapt to it, but normally professionals need much longer to catch up (as they bought much better and longerlasting gear). Why should you not only switch out your notebook for a new one, but also your mouse, tablet etc... As a professional, you try to keep things as cheap, yet as reliable and interchangible as you can.

The things is, you cant to that with the new Macbook. It is not interchangable, cause you need all those adapters. It might be a great consumer device, but it is not a professional device, as it used to be. 

Apple a few years ago was know to be the best and probably only solution for a content producer in the video, audio and 3d field. But they have changed their approach. I don't say that is a bad thing, but the expense of going casual, is that their "core" consumers won't be theirs for much longer. And it might take a while for them to notice, but i definitly think, that apple will take a hit in the long term

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

If there was a Type-A port, then people would not be forced to switch to Type-C.

This is not about what is best for now, this is about speeding up adoption rates to improve the future.

Are you talking to me or to the thousands of people whining about "noooo we hate proooogresss apple sucks?"

Type-C is going to replace Type-A.

Everything will be using Type-C in a few years, just like everything uses Type-A right now.

Forcing people to switch is the fastest way to transition to new standards.

For now, a few adapters and new cables are not a huge issue IMO.

Good god man, it's like you're not listening.

Forcing people to do something is precisely the problem. Computers are supposed to be useful, not dictatorial.

Type-C is great, but by making it the only port on the MacBook Pro, they are severely cutting the machine's usefulness.

Let me ask you, why is it so imperative that such extreme measures be taken to force the public to shift entirely to Type-C? What's so important about it that makes it unreasonable to have people adopt it naturally?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Good god man, it's like you're not listening.

Forcing people to do something is precisely the problem. Computers are supposed to be useful, not dictatorial.

Type-C is great, but by making it the only port on the MacBook Pro, they are severely cutting the machine's usefulness.

Let me ask you, why is it so imperative that such extreme measures be taken to force the public to shift entirely to Type-C? What's so important about it that makes it unreasonable to have people adopt it naturally?

Because people will not adopt new technologies if it is given as an "option" rather than a standard.

Just look at how many people are using USB A instead of PS2.

Guess why? Because motherboards and devices started replacing PS2 with USB. At one point there was no more PS2 on devices which forced peripheral makers to switch to USB. What a good thing that was, right? I would hate to be using 20 year old technology right now because "oh backwards compatibility, people still use PS2, hurr durr lets just keep manufacturing PS2 peripherals"

You're not "cutting usefulness" if you can still use every device with it.

Making a new cable or adapter required is an inconvenience, not a "oh no my hdmi screen is garbage because it doesnt work with this"

People buying a $3000 machine can afford a handful of $10 cables to replace their current cables. It's not hard.

These extreme measures are what apple is known for, and in case you have been living under a rock in the past decade, they have made HUGE progress in the technology market by forcing people to use what they provide.

Tons of great stuff has been started because apple decided to do something that everyone hated.

Anyone can see that USB-C on everything is the future.

USB-A replaced series and printer and gameport and PS2, now USB-C is replacing all that, plus HDMI, displayport, and power input.

This "forcing" is what makes progress happen, because maybe you haven't noticed, but way too few devices have USB-C right now.

Increasing the demand in the market will kick the manufacturers in the butt and get them moving.

An inconvenience to some apple users for a benefit to the entire technology industry? I'm down for that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 hours ago, Enderman said:

So this is mostly about the wan show, but I have seen several other people also just hate on apple without actually understanding why the macbook pro has (what I would call) the best I/O on a device ever made.

TL;DR

1) the ports on the macbook are still USB, all you need is a new USB-C cable, no active adapters or stuff

2) they can also do hdmi, thunderbolt, displayport, and power

3) the USB-C connector is the future, and soon everything will use it

4) 4 ports is enough because most of the time you can connect everything through 1-2 with the use of daisy chaining

5) connecting an entire setup by plugging in 1 connector is what people have wanted for decades

6) yes magsafe is gone, but replaced by a non-proprietary global standard, USB-C. You will be able to use the same cable on all your devices, not just apple.

7) forcing people to use USB-C is the fastest way to push the industry into more USB-C on devices/accessories, which benefits everyone, not just apple users

8) hopefully you learnt something today about why USB-C is a great way of pulling the future towards us at an accelerated rate.

9) gnight, I'll reply to everyone tomorrow :)

Yeah I agree having a universal connector sounds nice. I've never used a Mac before though.

21 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

Oh my...

First of all, building a computer for 'the future' is an inherently flawed idea. That's why 'future-proofing' is so silly.

Second, you're minimizing the impact of limiting the ports. There are more severe effects, like how people will need to carry around what is essentially a bag of adapters if they want to be reasonably certain they can use their laptop with any other device they don't directly own.

Third, you're proposing that every single technological innovation should be forced onto consumers whether it's convenient or not. That's absolutely unreasonable.

And finally, you seem extremely impatient. USB-C is still quite new, and it's steadily being adopted. At this point it's expected that modern smartphones have a Type-C port, and more and more laptops are implementing them as well. That's how standards are adopted. Apple's brand of force only makes it so you have to worry.

As an aside, if you notice, the iPhone 7 has a lightning port. I think that speaks volumes. Apple isn't trying to innovate, they're trying to force people to buy stuff.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

First of all, building a computer for 'the future' is an inherently flawed idea. That's why 'future-proofing' is so silly.

Future proofing things that don't have a quick replace cycle is fine. Linus has said countless times that "futureproofing" by buying a good case or a good power supply is fine, because that's something you can keep for a decade or more.

Guess how long USB A has been around? 20 years.

Guess how long USB C will be around? Probably another 20 years.

Second, you're minimizing the impact of limiting the ports. There are more severe effects, like how people will need to carry around what is essentially a bag of adapters if they want to be reasonably certain they can use their laptop with any other device they don't directly own.

Instead of carrying around a USB A to A cable and a HDMI to HDMI cable, now you carry around a USB C to A cable, and a USB C to HDMI cable.

And maybe one C to A adapter if someone wants to plug their USB drive into your laptop.

OMG so unreasonable!!11!

Third, you're proposing that every single technological innovation should be forced onto consumers whether it's convenient or not. That's absolutely unreasonable.

Guess how the lightning connector got on phones?

Did they put some micro USB and some lighting so people could choose between them?

LOL NOPE

And guess what? turned out to work pretty well, the lightning connector is very rugged and one of the best connectors on a phone.

Are people complaining about it? No.

And finally, you seem extremely impatient. USB-C is still quite new, and it's steadily being adopted. At this point it's expected that modern smartphones have a Type-C port, and more and more laptops are implementing them as well. That's how standards are adopted. Apple's brand of force only makes it so you have to worry.

None of my devices have USB-C on them and I would love it if they did.

This will start pressuring manufacturers to add USB-C everywhere, because until now people have been sticking to the old USB-A and adoption rate has been horribly slow.

As an aside, if you notice, the iPhone 7 has a lightning port. I think that speaks volumes. Apple isn't trying to innovate, they're trying to force people to buy stuff.

And due to apple forcing people to only use lightning, they now managed to get millions of people switched over to that standard which is far better than the disgusting mini and micro USB ports that most phones had.

Do you see people complaining about there being a lightning port there? I don't. Because all they did was buy a new cable 4 years ago and ever since then it has worked on all their new i phones.

This is a great example of apple forcing people to change, which in turn makes people upgrade to a better connection standard.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because people will not adopt new technologies if it is given as an "option" rather than a standard.

Just look at how many people are using USB A instead of PS2.

Guess why? Because motherboards and devices started replacing PS2 with USB. At one point there was no more PS2 on devices which forced peripheral makers to switch to USB. What a good thing that was, right? I would hate to be using 20 year old technology right now because "oh backwards compatibility, people still use PS2, hurr durr lets just keep manufacturing PS2 peripherals"

USB for keyb is so great that they started adding PS2 ports back xD

probably all 100 series mobos have PS2 connectors; most likely 200 series will too

with Fast Boot enabled and USB keyb, have you tried getting into BIOS? you can't xD

Guess how the lightning connector got on phones?
Did they put some micro USB and some lighting so people could choose between them?
LOL NOPE
And guess what? turned out to work pretty well, the lightning connector is very rugged and one of the best connectors on a phone.
Are people complaining about it? No.

they aren't complaining because there aren't many uses for that connector on the phone other than charging it and connecting it to a computer

also, the cable is provided in the box; guess what? the other end is type A

now, what happened when Apple removed the headphone jack and forced people to use the lighting connector .. people started complaining

change for the sake of change doesn't always means progress

type C is progress, right? am I willing to bet you that Apple will not add type C connector to their next iPhone xD

20 hours ago, Enderman said:

So this is mostly about the wan show, but I have seen several other people also just hate on apple without actually understanding why the macbook pro has (what I would call) the best I/O on a device ever made.

1)

First of all, some people said they can't plug their UBS devices into it without an adapter.

This is not true. The ports are still USB ports, just with the new C connector.

All USB devices can be plugged in without any active adapters.

Devices with a removable cable can just have a cable replaced with a USB-C to whatever, instead of the regular USB-A to whatever.

Stuff like USB drives with a fixed connector will need an adapter, but in the future all USB devices will use the C connector anyway.

2)

They are more than just USB ports.

This is a combination of power delivery + USB 3.1 + displayport + hdmi +thunderbolt.

THIS is what I call progress. ONE type of connector which can do everything. Why have 10 different types of ports and 10 different types of cables when you can combine them all into one?

Having the same cable and connector for all devices will make everything easier in the future.

This may seem like a stretch right now, since few devices have USB-C and you have to use USB-C to DP, or USB-C to HDMI, but the only way to switch everything to USB-C is by starting off with a product like this one.

It's not hard to imagine 3 years from now where everything is connected using USB-C cables and you don't need to worry about where you left your extra HDMI or whatever.

Remember serial cables and printer cables and gameport cables? Well those got replaced by USB-A.

Now USB-C will also be replacing power and display cables.

3)

USB-C is the BEST connection to support today and in the future.

I'm sure everyone can see the billions of devices with USB-A on it, well USB-C is better, and the best way to make it widespread is by forcibly switching to it.

Only a handful of PC cases, phones, motherboards, etc. have USB-C. By putting it on what is one of the highest selling laptops in the world, millions more people will begin switching too USB-C.

Yes it is forced. In case you haven't noticed, this is the only way to get people to switch quickly, especially with majority of old people who resist change like it's life or death.

4)

It might have been sarcasm, but why was @LinusTech complaining about 4 ports being too many??

Hypocritical much? Complain about the macbook not having enough, then 4 is too many?

I think 4 is more than enough, considering the daisy chaining capabilities of Thunderbolt 3, which will make it so most of the time you only need 1-2 connectors for everything.

5)

@Slick mentioned laptop docks.

If you watch the conference, they show that you can easily connect everything that most people need through a single connector.

External displays, external storage, power, peripherals, etc....

Nobody needs a laptop dock if you can literally plug in one cable and have everything connected :)

6)

Power can be supplied from any connector or either side.

Yes, the magsafe connector is gone, but hey look, more hypocritical people.

First complain about apple using proprietary stuff, and when they switch to a global standard like USB, then complain that the proprietary connector is no longer there.

Seriously, USB-C is the future whether you like it or not, and it is already becoming popular on phones.

Having the same connectivity on a laptop again benefits the "only one type of cable" reason.

7)

Progress, again requires the use of a lot of force.

More people buying macbook pros = more people using USB-C = more manufacturers adding USB-C to their devices.

USB drives, monitors, external storage, peripherals, etc...

This benefits EVERYBODY, since we will all be using USB-C in a few years.

Again, USB-C is the global standard, not a proprietary macbook connector. It will be on your PC case and you might even have a motherboard with some USB-C already.

8)

Please watch the conference or read some articles about the Thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports before ranting about the macbook pro.

USB-C is soon to replace almost every type of port on the back of your PC, and this is a great jump-start to get the industry into production.

TL;DR

1) the ports on the macbook are still USB, all you need is a new USB-C cable, no active adapters or stuff

2) they can also do hdmi, thunderbolt, displayport, and power

3) the USB-C connector is the future, and soon everything will use it

4) 4 ports is enough because most of the time you can connect everything through 1-2 with the use of daisy chaining

5) connecting an entire setup by plugging in 1 connector is what people have wanted for decades

6) yes magsafe is gone, but replaced by a non-proprietary global standard, USB-C. You will be able to use the same cable on all your devices, not just apple.

7) forcing people to use USB-C is the fastest way to push the industry into more USB-C on devices/accessories, which benefits everyone, not just apple users

8) hopefully you learnt something today about why USB-C is a great way of pulling the future towards us at an accelerated rate.

9) gnight, I'll reply to everyone tomorrow :)

I do agree that the USB Type-C connectors are a good add. As they can be used for USB, Thunderbolt, Display Port, HDMI, ect. The issue is you need an adapter. Not many devices use type C. More importantly if you own a iPhone you need a full sized type A port to plug the thing in. Apple could have included an adapter for this case with the Macbook pro. The one thing you dont understand is the Macbook pro is a lower volume product. Its not an iPhone where half the worlds population is going to own it. So I dont think Type C will catch on faster because of it. On top of that, people who use the SD card slot are now screwed. Chris Prillio being one of them. He stated he would not be buying a new Macbook Pro. He also felt the design of the track pad was an after thought, as he felt it looks off. As its not as elegant as something Apple would have done in the past. Another thing Chris Prillio brought up is WHY in the blue hell is their is headphone jack? I mean Apple had the balls to take it off the iPhone which is a much higher volume product. But leave it on the Macbook pro? I do agree with Linus that this should not be called "Pro". To me, this is just a refresh of the original Macbook. For the price, the 13 Inchers should have a decentish graphics card and the 15 Inchers should have a pretty balling graphics card. I do like that more and more manufactures are including Type C ports. I think they need to start doing more Type C accessories too. But, Type C is still kinda new and still needs more devices that use it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I do agree that the USB Type-C connectors are a good add. As they can be used for USB, Thunderbolt, Display Port, HDMI, ect. The issue is you need an adapter. Not many devices use type C. More importantly if you own a iPhone you need a full sized type A port to plug the thing in. Apple could have included an adapter for this case with the Macbook pro. The one thing you dont understand is the Macbook pro is a lower volume product. Its not an iPhone where half the worlds population is going to own it. So I dont think Type C will catch on faster because of it. On top of that, people who use the SD card slot are now screwed. Chris Prillio being one of them. He stated he would not be buying a new Macbook Pro. He also felt the design of the track pad was an after thought, as he felt it looks off. As its not as elegant as something Apple would have done in the past. Another thing Chris Prillio brought up is WHY in the blue hell is their is headphone jack? I mean Apple had the balls to take it off the iPhone which is a much higher volume product. But leave it on the Macbook pro? I do agree with Linus that this should not be called "Pro". To me, this is just a refresh of the original Macbook. For the price, the 13 Inchers should have a decentish graphics card and the 15 Inchers should have a pretty balling graphics card. I do like that more and more manufactures are including Type C ports. I think they need to start doing more Type C accessories too. But, Type C is still kinda new and still needs more devices that use it. 

Well I'm not talking about any other aspects of the macbook in this topic, just the IO.

Yes, the SD card slot is gone and that's not good.

The headphone jack is still there because it only takes up like 0.01% of space in the laptop while it took up like 3% space inside the iphone, which was a lot.

Yes they should have included adapters like they did with the iphone. No I don't think someone with $3k to drop on a laptop will starve to death from having to purchase a few $10 USB-C cables or adapters.

The macbook pro is one of the most sold laptops in the world, so "lower volume product" doesn't really apply here. Millions of people will still buy it, because it's apple.

USB-C is already catching on faster because of it. They announced a USB-C monitor from LG or some brand which has a USB-C dock built in and can also charge the macbook at the same time. Also, a network attached storage using USB-C that can be dais chained. Just wait until thousands or millions of people have USB-C macbooks and want to buy USB-C devices and cables, this is a huge step forward.

The entire reason why it is good the macbook has only USB-C is because you said so yourself "needs more devices that use it" Well guess what? Higher demand = higher production. That's how products work.

This is get companies putting USB-C on more of their products which in the end benefits EVERYONE who uses a phone or PC or some other technology.

Spoiler

I have an unpopular opinion:

USB Type-C is awful.

The support is-lack luster, and it is stupidly expensive.

The USB Promoter Group has done an awful job with getting support ready.

USB was a hit and a miss.

Also, to call out your, "it needs no active adaptor" claim, You still need a passive one, which is stupid.

Oh yeah, and drivers, are shit.

3 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I have an unpopular opinion:

USB Type-C is awful.

The support is-lack luster, and it is stupidly expensive.

The USB Promoter Group has done an awful job with getting support ready.

USB was a hit and a miss.

Also, to call out your, "it needs no active adaptor" claim, You still need a passive one, which is stupid.

Oh yeah, and drivers, are shit.

1) "support is lackluster" yeah, obviously, and the entire point of this product is to get tons of people using it which increases demand and in turn forces manufacturers to start producing it more, which in turn benefits everyone in 2-3 years because tons of devices will have USB C.

If nobody has USB-C on the desktops or laptops, do you really expect manufacturers to put USB-C on their monitors and peripherals? LOL

2) USB has been the standard for the past 20 years, it is not "hit and miss"

3) you only need an adapter for that will be considered "legacy" USB-A devices. Devices with detachable cables you can just replace with a USB-C cable.

Instead of using a HDMI to HDMI cable, you will use a USB-C to hdmi cable. No big deal. USB drives? You can buy USB-C USB drives already, no need for adapters.

Obviously at the start you will need to use adapters if you want to use the old type A USB drives or devices with non-removable cables, that's how it's always worked. Use adapters until you can get devices with the new standard.

Oh and guess what you need to do if you want to use a serial cable? You need an adapter.

What if you want PS2? an adapter.

As you can see, old things already need adapters. Moving forward = less need for adapters. Moving forward faster = less need for adapters faster.

4) How do you even know that "drivers are shit"????

Do you have one of these new macbooks already?? Did you get a review sample?

Spoiler

I definitely agree in some aspects usb c is not being looked at correctly, everyone sees it as almost proprietary when in fact it is the next iteration of usb that will replace the current standard. But I do feel like even something as simple as a built in sd card slot would be very beneficial from a content creation stand point.

3 minutes ago, wooki3 said:

I definitely agree in some aspects usb c is not being looked at correctly, everyone sees it as almost proprietary when in fact it is the next iteration of usb that will replace the current standard. But I do feel like even something as simple as a built in sd card slot would be very beneficial from a content creation stand point.

Yes, I agree an SD card slot being left out is not good.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

1) "support is lackluster" yeah, obviously, and the entire point of this product is to get tons of people using it which increases demand and in turn forces manufacturers to start producing it more, which in turn benefits everyone in 2-3 years because tons of devices will have USB C.

If nobody has USB-C on the desktops or laptops, do you really expect manufacturers to put USB-C on their monitors and peripherals? LOL

2) USB has been the standard for the past 20 years, it is not "hit and miss"

3) you only need an adapter for that will be considered "legacy" USB-A devices. Devices with detachable cables you can just replace with a USB-C cable.

Instead of using a HDMI to HDMI cable, you will use a USB-C to hdmi cable. No big deal. USB drives? You can buy USB-C USB drives already, no need for adapters.

Obviously at the start you will need to use adapters if you want to use the old type A USB drives or devices with non-removable cables, that's how it's always worked. Use adapters until you can get devices with the new standard.

Oh and guess what you need to do if you want to use a serial cable? You need an adapter.

What if you want PS2? an adapter.

As you can see, old things already need adapters. Moving forward = less need for adapters. Moving forward faster = less need for adapters faster.

4) How do you even know that "drivers are shit"????

Do you have one of these new macbooks already?? Did you get a review sample?

Listen, I don't run any Proprietary Products.

And, if USB Promoter Group actually cared, they wouldn't be so terrible with Linux.

Also, you fail to realize that Legacy Products, in many cases, are actually far superior to the modern products.

So, moving ahead, more adapters.

USB Type C has no place in the current market, maybe, if the USBPG had just waited a little longer to get more manufacturers to have some launch products, I wouldn't have working with it so much.

11 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Listen, I don't run any Proprietary Products.

And, if USB Promoter Group actually cared, they wouldn't be so terrible with Linux.

Also, you fail to realize that Legacy Products, in many cases, are actually far superior to the modern products.

So, moving ahead, more adapters.

USB Type C has no place in the current market, maybe, if the USBPG had just waited a little longer to get more manufacturers to have some launch products, I wouldn't have working with it so much.

I don't think you realize how much the macbook pro is going to speed up the adoption rate and production of devices that actually use USB-C.

You're not planning to buy a macbook pro, right? So then there is no reason for you to be upset.

3 years from now, thanks to the people who buy the macbook pro, almost all dervices will have USB-C.

Guess what? You won't need any adapters, because the devices will already have USB-C.

All you need is USB-C cables.

No need for 10 different types of cables and connectors on all your devices.

No need to have to search for an HDMI cable when you have a USB cable.

No need to plug 5 cables into your laptop becuase you need multiple things attached at once.

Everything will work with USB-C cables, and you won't need to carry any adapters, or extra cables like HDMI or displayport or power.

If you hate progress so much then go back to using printer ports and serial ports and VGA for all I care.

I'm glad apple is actually making progress happen faster so that I can start switching to USB-C sooner, even if it is at the expense of some macbook pro customers that are inconvenienced to buy new cables.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

I don't think you realize how much the macbook pro is going to speed up the adoption rate and production of devices that actually use USB-C.

You're not planning to buy a macbook pro, right? So then there is no reason for you to be upset.

3 years from now, thanks to the people who buy the macbook pro, almost all dervices will have USB-C.

Guess what? You won't need any adapters, because the devices will already have USB-C.

All you need is USB-C cables.

No need for 10 different types of cables and connectors on all your devices.

No need to have to search for an HDMI cable when you have a USB cable.

No need to plug 5 cables into your laptop becuase you need multiple things attached at once.

Everything will work with USB-C cables, and you won't need to carry any adapters, or extra cables like HDMI or displayport or power.

If you hate progress so much then go back to using printer ports and serial ports and VGA for all I care.

I'm glad apple is actually making progress happen faster so that I can start switching to USB-C sooner, even if it is at the expense of some macbook pro customers that are inconvenienced to buy new cables.

The MacBook Pro will not be purchased by a severe number of people.

They are not willing to be early adopters. I know, the whole motif with Apple People being early adopters and such, but even they know that having one type of port is stupid. Look at the MacBook, or the the new iPhone. removing alternate ports is blowing up in Apples face and their pocket book is beginning to falter.

2 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

The MacBook Pro will not be purchased by a severe number of people.

They are not willing to be early adopters. I know, the whole motif with Apple People being early adopters and such, but even they know that having one type of port is stupid. Look at the MacBook, or the the new iPhone. removing alternate ports is blowing up in Apples face and their pocket book is beginning to falter.

Come back in 6 months when apple shows the sales numbers for the macbook pro and then say that to my face without laughing ;)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Come back in 6 months when apple shows the sales numbers for the macbook pro and then say that to my face without laughing ;)

Let's see, Apples current sales are down, and they're projected to keep falling.

Yeah. let's see.