Why Linus is wrong (another macbook topic)

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Oh look, devices that work without having to get an adapter. How surprising! Especially if you didn't read the last 12 pages!

I'm not sure what to say, I can't think of any explanation other than extreme stupidity that you would think that the discussion would include non-usb devices (I assume that that printer is supposed to be networked?) or that a new (micro usb, mini usb, display port, etc.) to type-c cable for a device that has a removable cable wouldn't fall under the umbrella of adapter. 

15 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

If we suddenly shifted all power production to solar as fast as we could it would be expensive, poorly implemented, insufficient, and quickly outdated at the rate solar technology is improving right now.

If all computers suddenly had high-end desktop components they would be expensive, power-inefficient, and produce too much heat for most applications.

Solar power and more powerful computers, like USB-C, are beneficial technology -Also like USB-C, they present crippling issues if forced too quickly.

If everyone in the world was being forced to use USB-C then sure, it would be forced too quickly and cause tons of issues.

If 0.00001% of the world is being forced to switch IF they choose to buy a macbook pro (which is 100% voluntary) then it is not a "crippling issue".

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

If everyone in the world was being forced to use USB-C then sure, it would be forced too quickly and cause tons of issues.

If 0.00001% of the world is being forced to switch IF they choose to buy a Macbook Pro (which is 100% voluntary) then it is not a "crippling issue."

Your entire argument is that people should be forced to upgrade.

I may be missing something, there's a chunk in the middle I didn't read, but it seems rather much like you're taking the extreme position.

Concerning the Macbook Pro itself, those drawbacks apply in full to the people buying the product, which makes it a bad product.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Your entire argument is that people should be forced to upgrade.

I may be missing something, there's a chunk in the middle I didn't read, but it seems rather much like you're taking the extreme position.

Concerning the Macbook Pro itself, those drawbacks apply in full to the people buying the product, which makes it a bad product.

You must have missed the half dozen posts about "this is a small inconvenience to apple users which will benefit everyone else in a few years"

And yes they are drawbacks which can easily be solved with replacing some of your cables and using adapters where needed, as is the case with literally every change of connection standard ever.

For someone spending $3k on a laptop, $50 of cables or adapters is not a big issue, especially since most devices these days have removable cables so you need no adapters.

Oh, and there is a difference between an innovative product and a bad product.

If the MBP had a bunch of DMX512 ports which would literally not connect to anything without an adapter and are completely useless with no future, that would be a bad product.

If the MBP has a bunch of thunderbolt 3 ports which enhance and simplify connectivity just like USB-A did and will actually be relevant in the future because it is a new universal standard, that is an innovative product.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Maybe you don't fully understand what USB-C and thunderbolt 3 mean for the future.

That's OK, some day you will, when USB-A becomes as outdated as IDE is.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

I now remember why I stopped participating in this discussion early on.

You're just sort of repeating yourself and saying everyone else is wrong, which I don't really want to be a part of.

I mean, regardless of whether you're right or wrong, repeating yourself that much like it's a new argument every time is kind'a... You get the idea.

Spoiler
9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh, and there is a difference between an innovative product and a bad product.

Ooh boy, I'm sensing tad too much Apple in you, man. Maybe you should lay off fruits for a bit.

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

Maybe you don’t fully understand that nobody has a crystal ball, and nobody can predict the future. Given how controversial this has become it’s honestly as discernable as a 50-foot coin toss.

The facts are that USB-A replaced serial ports, parallel ports, game ports, PS2, ADB, and more.

And thunderbolt 3 type C is going to replace all those, USB-A, displayport, and external PCIe.

In fact, you can open your eyes and see that it already has started to.

But clearly you are very skeptical and just another one of those people that will refuse new technology as much as possible even though it is objectively better.

That's fine. I don't force my grandparents to change their old habits if they don't want to. Apple isn't forcing anyone to buy the MBP either.

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

I now remember why I stopped participating in this discussion early on.

You're just sort of repeating yourself and saying everyone else is wrong, which I don't really want to be a part of.

I mean, regardless of whether you're right or wrong, repeating yourself that much like it's a new argument every time is kind'a... You get the idea.

Reveal hidden contents

Ooh boy, I'm sensing tad too much Apple in you, man. Maybe you should lay off fruits for a bit.

I'm repeating myself because it seems like people have trouble understanding the difference between an adapter and a cable, the difference between a proprietary connector and a universal connector, and the difference between "forced" and "voluntary".

And PS, I don't use apple products, so stop trying to use the "hur durr you're an apple fanboy" excuse.

This is about what is good for the technology industry, not what is good for the fraction of a percent of the world's population who may or may not buy a macbook pro (since they have the CHOICE of not buying one).

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I'm repeating myself because it seems like people have trouble understanding the difference between an adapter and a cable, the difference between a proprietary connector and a universal connector, and the difference between "forced" and "voluntary."

... Okay.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

And PS, I don't use apple products, so stop trying to use the "hur durr you're an apple fanboy" excuse.

I did not say you were a fanboy. I said you sounded like Apple.

Being a mindless fanboy for a company is very different from being reasonably mistaken for that company's marketing department.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

I did not say you were a fanboy. I said you sounded like Apple.

Being a mindless fanboy for a company is very different from being reasonably mistaken for that company's marketing department.

Misunderstood that part.

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

You're telling me that it is just "my opinion" that USB-A replaced serial and parallel and game and PS2 and ADB?

Really now?

Ok cool, well, I guess it's also my opinion that technology needs to progress, and I guess it's my opinion that cars are a good replacement of horses, and I guess it's my opinion that electricity is a good thing in the world.

But hey, always someone that's gonna disagree.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

??? Your echo chamber is killing me man. The point isn’t your shitty opinion – its that you insist on shoving it down everyone’s throat. No one is ever going to listen to you the more you continue to preach like that.

Oh wow, bringing out the profanity now too?

Well, if you read the entire topic, you will actually see several intelligent people that learned a lot from reading my post and then changed their opinion from "blind apple hate train" to "this is actually good progress" after understanding the effect of Thunderbolt 3 type C on both MBP users, and the rest of the technology industry.

If you disagree with facts, trends and previous history about similar "forced" technologies, and how they also apply here, then that's up to you and nobody is forcing you to keep reading, thanks.

Spoiler

This thread, wow.

If you don't want to use adapters, change cable types or support companies that try to force change that the mainstream isn't ready for, don't buy the product. No use complaining hardcore for something you have 0 intention to buy lmao

@Enderman @Nicholatian

Tone down the hostility. It's unnecessary to throw insults at each other; either discuss your difference of opinion in a civil fashion or don't bother responding at all. And to be clear, this works both ways - accusing people of being a fanboy because they don't agree with your opinion isn't acceptable, and nor is telling them they must 'open their mind' just because they view things differently. Your opinion is not law.

Keep it civil or the thread will be locked.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

2 hours ago, Whiskers said:

@Enderman @Nicholatian

Tone down the hostility. It's unnecessary to throw insults at each other; either discuss your difference of opinion in a civil fashion or don't bother responding at all. And to be clear, this works both ways - accusing people of being a fanboy because they don't agree with your opinion isn't acceptable, and nor is telling them they must 'open their mind' just because they view things differently. Your opinion is not law.

Keep it civil or the thread will be locked.

Thanks!

Also, btw, I meant "open your eyes" in a literal way, like "open your eyes to see the new products getting released" not "open your eyes to see some opinion bla bla bla"

It's not an opinion that new USB-C and thunderbolt 3 devices are coming to market thanks to the apple release, it's a measurable fact :) you can literally go and count the products.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Spoiler