Working in The AAA industry

radical1412

They can get over it. Deadlines are real; and IBM, Amazon, Facebook, Intel, and Nvidia all demand the same dedication for your first 3 years as you prove yourself. The same holds true at the big financial firms like Morgan Stanley on Wall Street.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

They can get over it. Deadlines are real; and IBM, Amazon, Facebook, Intel, and Nvidia all demand the same dedication for your first 3 years as you prove yourself. The same holds true at the big financial firms like Morgan Stanley on Wall Street.

In other words, the problem is ubiquitous. Thanks for pointing that out.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

In other words, the problem is ubiquitous. Thanks for pointing that out.

It's not a problem. Either you cut it and succeed with them or you can go to another industry or you can start your own competitive studio and put your money where your mouth is. You either accept their working terms or you don't, as long as none of them are illegal.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But she goes on to say people shouldn't be encouraging those type of games. Its made of developers blood. How do you Feel about it?

1 minute ago, rdical1412 said:

But she goes on to say people shouldn't be encouraging those type of games. Its made of developers blood. How do you Feel about it?

If you don't put your passion and a little sweat and tears into your work, you're not doing something worthy of your time.

This is a confusing article. "We shouldn't praise games soaked in the blood of people that made them". Okay, so we should instead let their long hours of hard work go without praise?  Working 80 hour weeks sucks, but that's the one downside of salary pay. You earn what you earn, regardless of how many, or how few hours you work. Nobody forces them to work there, and if people cannot handle the long hours, they will go elsewhere.

I also find her claims to be exaggerated too. She worked there for over 10 years, and claims "I don’t know if I ever worked less than 80 hours a week.". What in the world has Naughty Dog done in the last 10 years? They made the original uncharted trilogy, remastered (re-released) the Jak and Daxter collection, The Last of Us (Then remastered that too), remastered (re-released) the uncharted trilogy again, and then Uncharted 4. So the past 10 years had 5 titles, and then a remaster of 5 titles. Her role mostly involved the Uncharted series, as she was not involved in the directing or writing of The Last of Us. She was also only involved in two Jak titles that I could find with her credited. So that is 4 uncharted games and 2 Jak titles over the course of 10 years. Roughly 41,600 hours for those 6 titles. Either her role is underplayed, and she does far more than these few titles, or she is over-exaggerating her schedule.

Either way, it doesn't really matter. She got paid for her work, and the people that work on the titles deserve what praise the industry is willing to give them. To say we shouldn't praise them just because they work intense hours, is just silly. Regardless of our praise, they are going to work as hard as they are told to, might as well show them its not in vain. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

If you don't love what you do for a living it will seem like a chore, which is what I'm getting from her whining about 80 hour work weeks. I worked seven days a week as a System Administrator for a company for 3 years (even worked on most holidays, several overnight implementations etc.) and I never complained because I loved doing it so much. 

Again, if you don't love what you do, find something else to occupy your time.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Expecting people to work 80 hours a week is wrong, period.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

A similar topic was covered by Jim before, this was his two cents:

Also @rdical1412 did you read the posting guidelines?

Please fix your post in accordance to this before its locked or moved.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

It's not a problem. Either you cut it and succeed with them or you can go to another industry or you can start your own competitive studio and put your money where your mouth is. You either accept their working terms or you don't, as long as none of them are illegal.

It's a problem to spend all your waking hours on one thing whether it's work or not.

1 hour ago, SkepticKrab said:

If you don't love what you do for a living 

I work for Money which I can then spend in my freetime on stuff I like. 

If I don't have any freetime though I also don't need a lot of money because when should I spend it? Only on a nice apartment I'm rarely in because I work all day? Gr8.... 

I personally also like my job and what I'm doing there and also most of the people but I'm still not willing to sacrifice and dedicate my whole life to that job. 

That's some massive American bullshit you guys are talking. 

Constantly working for 80hours is just plain wrong! A couple weeks before an important deadline maybe but anything else? Hell no. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

For some emergency situations, unexpected events, fine. Work 80 hours a week for a month or two to get the job done. However it is the responsibility of the manager of a company to make sure they have enough workers for the job long term. .

We are human, not machine. We want a life outside of  work. We have friends and families. We want to spent quality time with our kids.

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Difference is that if they choose to get an MBA instead and worked the same 80 hours per week on an administrative job they get a much better shot at a higher paying career and probably a much bigger paycheck patrick: The only people who complain about 80 hour weeks are the people that are paid fucking shit for it and get immediately fired after the project is over with no severance checks, no bonuses, nothing.

So please don't be disingenuous we all know that people who work hard and don't complain but that's usually because they have a good fucking reason.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, alexyy said:

No it isn't. You're either a match for the job or aren't. If you agree with good information at your disposal, it is up to you to meet the challenge. Grow up.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Difference is that if they choose to get an MBA instead and worked the same 80 hours per week on an administrative job they get a much better shot at a higher paying career and probably a much bigger paycheck patrick: The only people who complain about 80 hour weeks are the people that are paid fucking shit for it and get immediately fired after the project is over with no severance checks, no bonuses, nothing.

So please don't be disingenuous we all know that people who work hard and don't complain but that's usually because they have a good fucking reason.

She got paid 6 figures likely north of 200k. At that point if you want fewer hours you make your skills scarce or you submit yourself to the demands of the labor market. Writers and project managers are a dime a dozen.

5 hours ago, alexyy said:

This is probably gonna sound harsh, but shit like this is really demanding. If you aren't ready to throw a lot of time away on developing a AAA title, go indie or bust.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Ok so exhausting your workforce is considered "common practice" by some... yeah, I kinda get to know why US kinda fucked up...

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

This is probably gonna sound harsh, but shit like this is really demanding. If you aren't ready to throw a lot of time away on developing a AAA title, go indie or bust.

or just set realistic deadlines. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

23 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

haem, yeah or properly staff yourself maybe?

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

4 minutes ago, kuzko said:

Ok so exhausting your workforce is considered "common practice" by some... yeah, I kinda get to know why US kinda fucked up...

That's the reality of some industries as a whole. The Video Games industry is known for this in Japan, Canada, the U.S., and even in France. The Finance industry is even worse.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

That's the reality of some industries as a whole. The Video Games industry is known for this in Japan, Canada, the U.S., and even in France. The Finance industry is even worst.

And this seems like an acceptable practice because???

on a side note, I've met a few traders here in France and I know these guys are fucked up : no life until they get out... to compensate they drown themselves in almost anything a classical person would be jailed for a long time for.

That's one of the few reasons I don't think I'm fit for this : how to find balance when your life is given to something else to such extent.

Just now, kuzko said:

And this seems like an acceptable practice because???

on a side note, I've met a few traders here in France and I know these guys are fucked up : no life until they get out... to compensate they drown themselves in almost anything a classical person would be jailed for a long time for.

That's one of the few reasons I don't think I'm fit for this : how to find balance when your life is given to something else to such extent.

Because that's the essence of competition. If you can handle the demands for a given price, you're valuable. If you can't, there are less demanding, lower-paying industries for you to work in.

Just now, patrickjp93 said:

Because that's the essence of competition. If you can handle the demands for a given price, you're valuable. If you can't, there are less demanding, lower-paying industries for you to work in.

yeah, and guess whose competitive in this scenario ? underdeveloped country people ... oh wait, there are better things to work for less : slaves, yes perfect society where we are competitive!. 

You see this reasoning is fucked up right? no? oh well, I'll go fudge myself with notions like "arbeit marcht frei" that seem to be so relevant in those "industries". This kind of mindset is the baseline for abuses in which we can see one here. Let's not forget HR and management not doing it's proper staffing job... 

I mean... I think we all know how much of a joke US labor laws are, so this isn't that surprising.

Honestly I don't believe her anyways. As someone who has, by the clock, worked numerous 95+ hour weeks that just isn't something that is done consistently.

Even within the financial industry (where my fiancé works as an auditor) 50-60 out of season and 70-80 in season is generally the standard (I'd personally suggest 60+ is expected in my own field, but it's a much less rigorous thing recently due to new competitors offerring better work enviroments.)

Look, yea it sucks to work consistent long hours, you should probably read your contract throughally and request stipulations of maximum overtime (this can be done even as salaried employees), and/or find a different place to work with less extreme unwritten expectations for jobs.

They do exist... Hell places like google and Facebook have made their huge names within the industry by being, relative to competition, much more about working effectively and efficiently than working tirelessly.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

18 minutes ago, kuzko said:

haem, yeah or properly staff yourself maybe?

Brook's law:

"adding manpower to a late software project makes it later"

Moreover, bigger team would require a lot more people to pay, and I would think that budgets are extremely sensitive in the games industry where a long project doesn't necessarily mean profit.

All I can say is that you should just appreciate and give respect to every form of art. Games are just an entire compilation of various art forms. Avoiding them because people put hard work into it is one of the most disrespectful things you can do in my opinion.