Post-recall Galaxy Note7 caught fire on a Southwest Airlines flight

Nineshadow
2 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Windows 10 wasn't that bad.... 

Xbox One, Note 7, Apple Pippin, and Blackberry Priv were far worse.

The Xbone was just a shitshow leading up to the release. Arguably it still is since (just like the PS4) there's going to be at least 3 different hardware iterations of the damned thing (at least last gen was just die shrinks and then the PS3 removing the EmotionEngine).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

10 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

sony? lol

sorry ment samsung, bit tired xD

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

By now Samsung really should put the Note 7 in the grave. Before it burns down the church. Scrap all batteries from the factory and fix the damn problem. Rename the note 7 to something else. Note redux or Note Neo or some shit with the new batteries. Because right now, the phone is worthless and might end up getting you banned from all airplanes.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Ok if it's really replacement unit that caught fire that's really concerning and I wonder what the real issue is. Be it battery production, cutting cost somewhere in control or w/e.
Sucks really that this happened. I wonder how much this will affect Samsung in general though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

33 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Ok if it's really replacement unit that caught fire that's really concerning and I wonder what the real issue is. Be it battery production, cutting cost somewhere in control or w/e.
Sucks really that this happened. I wonder how much this will affect Samsung in general though.

I am thinking this has more to do with the charging method, charging fast creates a lot of heat and maybe because heat is hard to remove from inside the phone it turns into a flame.

This is why I am sceptical towards the new Pixel phone as well, I think it has quick charge as well but maybe it only relates to wireless charging, who knows.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

Maybe there needs to be a few ventilation holes in the Note 7, someone should do a tutorial and upload to YouTube.

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

this is not the 1st incident involving the replacement Note 7

about a week ago some chinese guy had his new Note 7 "explode" during charging - Samsung asked for the device but the dude refused to give it to them until he had made sure the media knew about the incident

14 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

I am thinking this has more to do with the charging method, charging fast creates a lot of heat and maybe because heat is hard to remove from inside the phone it turns into a flame.

This is why I am sceptical towards the new Pixel phone as well, I think it has quick charge as well but maybe it only relates to wireless charging, who knows.

Hmm, but there are many phones with QuickCharge and wireless charge, wouldn't say that's an issue though. Specially if a phone can combust randomly off charge.
It may just batteries were made bad or something like that, but I'd be surprised with low control like that. We'll hear from Samsung on it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Windows 10 was a clusterfuck of nope when it launched. Doesn't help where I had to turn down the upgrade dozens of times on my grandma's PC, and it still fucking installed. And when it installed, it happily fucked 90% of her programs in the ass.

How? My Dad went through the upgrade, and it broke nothing other than his Citrix receiver, and that just had to be updated. Oracle's software all worked fine, his video production software all worked fine, and all the utility stuff worked fine.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

59 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

Maybe there needs to be a few ventilation holes in the Note 7, someone should do a tutorial and upload to YouTube.

That won't solve a rogue chemical reaction inside the battery causing rapid heating and expansion.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

How? My Dad went through the upgrade, and it broke nothing other than his Citrix receiver, and that just had to be updated. Oracle's software all worked fine, his video production software all worked fine, and all the utility stuff worked fine.

Welcome to the shitstorm that was the initial Windows 10 rollout.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The one thing that leaves me salty is the general public's overreaction to this issue, due to the media calling every incident an explosion.

Yes, I get that this is a real problem, but the percentage of phones that it affects is still absolutely miniscule. I would still buy the phone if I could, and I would simply disable fast charging because I don't need it. I mean, even Linus has it as his daily driver right now despite this whole debacle (to be fair though, he always charges his phones on 1A).

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wow, looks like Samsung has no option but to drop the Note line after everything that's happened - it's done. Everyone screws up once in a while, but screwing up your one chance at making things right does some horrible, long-lasting damage to one's reputation.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

I'm glad I held off the jump from my Note 4 to the 7. There is some serious shit going on in the factory and within the Samsung tech department If this continues on into their other future line up I be staying away from Samsung.

Now before anyone says 'sure it might not happen to you' well that's true but I rather be inside the tent spitting out than outside spitting in.

As posters said and I agree pull the whole Note 7 series and go back to the drawing board.

4 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Windows 8? Windows 10 at least has the option to stop MS from spying on you.

Registry mods solve everything. My windows 8 has none of the spying garbage in it.

`

This is just one case of a replacement going up in smoke. Phones batteries burn up all the time just look at some cases of iphones. Hard to tell whether this is a fluke or worryingly a new development in the recall. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

1 hour ago, PCBjon said:

As posters said and I agree pull the whole Note 7 series and go back to the drawing board.

And firesale the remaining stock at reduced price. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 hours ago, Notional said:

By now Samsung really should put the Note 7 in the grave. Before it burns down the church. Scrap all batteries from the factory and fix the damn problem. Rename the note 7 to something else. Note redux or Note Neo or some shit with the new batteries. Because right now, the phone is worthless and might end up getting you banned from all airplanes.

Now Note 5's are worth more!

/s

But i'd been getting battery consumption problems with my Note 5 anyway...

removable batteries solve everything 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

Not really.  You'd have to be a damned fool to remove a battery that is in the process of melting down.  I don't know enough about the reaction, but if it starts, inside the case of the phone is probably the easiest and safest way to contain and manage the situation.

8 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Not really.  You'd have to be a damned fool to remove a battery that is in the process of melting down.  I don't know enough about the reaction, but if it starts, inside the case of the phone is probably the easiest and safest way to contain and manage the situation.

don't really have to touch the battery: the swelling will pop out the back cover, should have enough time to flip the phone and and have the battery fall before any serious damage hits the device   

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

don't really have to touch the battery/ the swelling will pop out the back cover, should have enough time to flip the phone and and have the battery fall before any serious damage is hits the device   

Well you're entitled to that opinion, it's not a risk I would take.

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

If the problem is too much voltage or amps being sent to the battery, then all you get is more fodder.

How quickly can a quick charger fully charge a Note 7? I remember from hobby RC that Li-Po batteries shouldn't be charged above 1C (full charge in 1 hour) unless specifically rated for it.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

24 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If the problem is too much voltage or amps being sent to the battery, then all you get is more fodder.

How quickly can a quick charger fully charge a Note 7? I remember from hobby RC that Li-Po batteries shouldn't be charged above 1C (full charge in 1 hour) unless specifically rated for it.

It really depends on the cell. Samsung probably used some higher C rated cells, but perhaps the charge circuitry is out of spec on some units, perhaps charging too hard or going above 4.2v, causing dendrites to grow inside, and eventually shorting annode and cathode electrodes together.

Thats my guess.

4 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

Your fathers experience =/= global user experience

Thats like saying some guys note 7 is fine because he didnt have his personal one explode

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX