PS4 Pro announced along with Slim model

asim1999
6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's blatantly not true. In most cases, the GPU is what's holding back the PS4 and XBO, not the Jaguar cores. Yes, they're weak as balls, but consoles also use a Vulkan/DX12-"like" low level API, so they can leverage a much faster GPU paired with a slower CPU.

If the PS4 Pro really does have double the Shaders (And they're Polaris too), this could EASILY drive 1080p60.

I'll believe it when I see it for large open world games with a lot of AI that tend to be pretty cpu bound on PC.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It isn't. 4K 30 FPS should be the same amount of data that you need for 1080p 120 FPS. At least that is what Digital Foundry said in one of their videos. 

Not sure if it's actually like that in practice but in theory it does make sense: 1080p @ 120 Hz = 2 million pixels * 120 frames/s vs 4K @ 30 Hz = 8 million pixels * 30 frames/s. You either get four times the pixels or four times the frames.

2 minutes ago, Valermos said:

My PS4 has so much dust on it that I am not sure if it is even still there. So I'll pass this time.

My XB1 is still an awesome media box lol.

I've been eyeing the XBO S 2TB model that just came out. But I would mostly be using it as an HTPC/Media Box/Blu-Ray player. I'd really only play XBO exclusives - anything cross platform I'd likely still get on Steam. So I haven't quite convinced myself it's worth the cost yet.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'll believe it when I see it for large open world games with a lot of AI that tend to be pretty cpu bound on PC.

In some very specific scenarios, perhaps. But your initial statement made no such clarifications. You basically just said "Nope they suck", rather than putting an Asterisk there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't see games running in native 4k. I do see them running games at native 1080x1920 at 60fps though. If it's double the GPU performance then that's what your lookign at either that or 4k at 15fps.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

PS4... Pro? As in professional? Um, are they trying to target professional gamers or target people that wouldn't buy the device, like the iPad Pro?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Very surprised with the price tag! Honestly expected it to be at least 499 USD.

This is really good value then, $399 for a system that has a $250 GPU (RX 480)

No way you can find a case, motherboard, cpu, ram, 1tb hdd, disk drive, psu, and controller all brand new in $150...

35 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

No $399 PC can do 4k gaming well, it will be interesting to see how the PS4 Pro handles it.

You could absolutely build a $400 PC that can do console-like 4K Gaming.

No AA, low-settings, 30FPS, could work on plenty of titles.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

29 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

Wait so 4K 30 is less demanding than 1080p60? I find that hard to believe.

4K is less CPU intensive is what they mean.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

35 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Dude, all consoles are "unreliable". There were plenty of PS3's to crap out on people too.

The same argument could be made about computer components.  It depends on where they're sourced.  The potential for failure exists in all electronics.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

PS4... Pro? As in professional?

I hate marketers.  Pro, as in "Profanity" or "Prolonged loading" would also seem valid.

12 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

I hate marketers.  Pro, as in "Profanity" or "Prolonged loading" would also seem valid.

Maybe it even stands for "Prodigy" or "Proven worthy member of society that chooses to buy a console which he will probably enjoy with some games on it"

Darn marketers!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

'4k' Gaming

Yeah no. That's all I have to say (other than it'd make a nice PC case :P)

If by 4K they mean small indie games a la XBLA, then maybe at 30 FPS.  Other than that, it's complete bullshit.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I owned an XB360, and it never died on me once. Worked great until the day I got rid of it. Plus, an XBOX 360 is a 11 year old product. Think about what using an 11 year old computer would be like...

We use ~10 year old computers at school...and they run Vista.

And they aren't that bad most of the time. They aren't fast by any means but they get the job done.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

42 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

In some very specific scenarios, perhaps. But your initial statement made no such clarifications. You basically just said "Nope they suck", rather than putting an Asterisk there.

Sorry, I was thinking in terms based on the games I play (mostly open world SP games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Fallout, Assassins Creed) and neglecting all the FPS for example that can run 60 fps even on the XB1 right now.

22 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Maybe it even stands for "Prodigy" or "Proven worthy member of society that chooses to buy a console which he will probably enjoy with some games on it"

Darn marketers!

Meh it's possible, but lets try a maintain some semblance of reality even if marketers do not ;)

The GPU I think is somewhere around an AMD RX470 or RX480. That CPU is gonna hold it back though.

Good, but not good enough. We now have a console that performs like it should have a few years ago when it was first released.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm thinking about buying a PS4 just to play Bloodborne...geez wiz, damn you Sony. Although 299 isn't that bad of a price...wait no, God damn it. No. I don't even have a TV/monitor to plug it into.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I'm mad because this means games that run shitty on my ps4 might run better on this one. Like the scorpio I'm also worried that games will be targeted for it and the regular xbone and ps4 owners will sufffer with games that barely run.....more than they already barely run 

Glad I mostly PC game. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Honestly, consoles don't bother me.  The only thing that irritates me about consoles is that many of the games on them are exclusive to that platform.  I have a much more powerful computer by comparison, so I would like to be able to take advantage of it.

Being forced to buy a gaming console just to play one game that isn't on the PC platform is ridiculous.  Consoles definitely have their place, especially for those individuals who do not want to deal with the hassle of installing drivers or the issues that could arise from doing so.

25 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

If by 4K they mean small indie games a la XBLA, then maybe at 30 FPS.  Other than that, it's complete bullshit.

53 minutes ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I don't see games running in native 4k. I do see them running games at native 1080x1920 at 60fps though. If it's double the GPU performance then that's what your lookign at either that or 4k at 15fps.

It's probably 1440p 30fps with less intensive titles, I don't see them going for full 4K gaming in all but the most basic games.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

as a current PS4 owner (dont play it much due to my gaming pc though), the only thing that would have made me even consider buying the PS4 Pro is if it had a Ultra HD Blu Ray Drive... which it does not... no sale. 

also means that Ultra HD Blu Ray will likely never take off as for a good majority of people the PS3 was their first blu ray player

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The GPU I think is somewhere around an AMD RX470 or RX480. That CPU is gonna hold it back though.

Good, but not good enough. We now have a console that performs like it should have a few years ago when it was first released.

(My Speculation) I agree, good but not good enough.. IMO, If I was a dev, I'd want to be using 1080p 60fps Ultra fidelity all round instead of up to 3-4K Medium fidelity with Ultra textures.
Upscaled with 30fps (locked for frame consistency), which CAN be done with RX480/GTX970 kind of GPU power.

(VSR/DSR upscaling, I've done this and enjoyed the results)

I can see on my screen, one step below the 4K 3840x2160 is the 3325x1871 followed by 2880x1620 (And still further options to use below this, but above 1080p)

Many games I've tried with DSR work great and with tailoring GFX settings for always above 30fps but usually getting less than 60fps, I can't see why the consoles can't.

All games @60fps @1080p (or even some options to choose)

Little too late to the game though.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The GPU is weaker than a stock Rx 470 so good luck with 4k gaming, even with low APIs. For the people with more realistic expectations, this thing gives budget PCs a run for their money which is what the original Xbox 1 and ps4 should have been. I would be more interested in whether devs will start offering the option off unlocked frame rates and even officially supporting m&k. Iirc blacklight retribution on ps4 had the option for mouse and keyboard

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just to be clear, it's actually 4K at 60fps as the head of Activision and creator of Call of Duty Infinite Warfare said. Just because it's using algorithms to make a 4K picture, doesn't mean it's bad at all. I'd expect this to be on par with actual 4K gaming picture fidelity.