PS4 Pro announced along with Slim model

asim1999
16 minutes ago, F60Outrunn said:

as a current PS4 owner (dont play it much due to my gaming pc though), the only thing that would have made me even consider buying the PS4 Pro is if it had a Ultra HD Blu Ray Drive... which it does not... no sale. 

also means that Ultra HD Blu Ray will likely never take off as for a good majority of people the PS3 was their first blu ray player

Buy an Xbox One S. It's the cheapest 4K BD player on the market. One of the best purchases I have made in a while.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

I don't see games running in native 4k. I do see them running games at native 1080x1920 at 60fps though. If it's double the GPU performance then that's what your lookign at either that or 4k at 15fps.

You think they'll run in Portrait Orientation? (1080x1920) ;):P

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

PS4... Pro? As in professional? Um, are they trying to target professional gamers or target people that wouldn't buy the device, like the iPad Pro?

It's just marketing - I'm not even sure what your "average joe" would say if you asked them what the "Pro" stands for.

1 hour ago, Michael McAllister said:

The same argument could be made about computer components.  It depends on where they're sourced.  The potential for failure exists in all electronics.

That's kind of my point. The XB360 is in no way less reliable than the PS3. They're pretty much on par. Both had some pretty bad first gen manufacturing/design defects, and both got sorted pretty quickly.

32 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Sorry, I was thinking in terms based on the games I play (mostly open world SP games like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Fallout, Assassins Creed) and neglecting all the FPS for example that can run 60 fps even on the XB1 right now.

No worries - but lots of people don't even play those games, so it's worth noting the difference.

18 minutes ago, F60Outrunn said:

as a current PS4 owner (dont play it much due to my gaming pc though), the only thing that would have made me even consider buying the PS4 Pro is if it had a Ultra HD Blu Ray Drive... which it does not... no sale. 

also means that Ultra HD Blu Ray will likely never take off as for a good majority of people the PS3 was their first blu ray player

Wait... WHAT? The PS4 Pro doesn't have a UHD Blu-Ray drive? Even the XBOX One S has one! UHD Blu-Ray will "take off" in due time. Especially considering you can get an XBOX One S for less than half the price of a set-top UHD Blu-Ray player.

Seriously, Sony - missed opportunity there. Well I guess the XBOX One S has another advantage over the PS4 Slim, and at least one advantage over the PS4 Pro. XBOX Scorpio should wipe the floor w/ the PS4 Pro when it comes out, since it's all but guaranteed to have a UHD Blu-Ray drive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, F60Outrunn said:

It just means that people will go to the XBox One S to get their 4K Blu Ray Player.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

2 minutes ago, dacheezypuffs said:

Just to be clear, it's actually 4K at 60fps as the head of Activision and creator of Call of Duty Infinite Warfare said. Just because it's using algorithms to make a 4K picture, doesn't mean it's bad at all. I'd expect this to be on par with actual 4K gaming picture fidelity.

Even if by some miracle that were one game that might run at 4k 60 FPS it will be one very few. Even though there is no chance it will. And It will be upscaled. 

Luckily, people at Activision are known to be people that now how to properly optimize their games. I mean it's not like their latest COD was known to use 12 GB of RAM and had dips on systems that had 980Ti in them. Or crashed in many systems that had only 8GB of RAM.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Even if by some miracle that were one game that might run at 4k 60 FPS it will be one very few. Even though there is no chance it will. And It will be upscaled. 

Luckily, people at Activision are known to be people that now how to properly optimize their games. I mean it's not like their latest COD was known to use 12 GB of RAM and had dips on systems that had 980Ti in them. Or crashed in many systems that had only 8GB of RAM.

To be fair, even if the devs did target 1080p60 for Rendering, and simply upscaled to 4K - I would be 100% okay with that.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If the GPU on PS4 Pro is indeed only double the shading power of the PS4, XBOX Scorpio would be twice as fast as PS4 Pro

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

Maaaan,,, I wanted it to call it PlayStation Neo-Geo... no fun Sony.

All in all:

• The Slim model makes 0 sense. At least with the XBox one S, you can say: "Hey I have a cheap 4K Blu-ray player that can play games", also the drive capacity is lower than the XBox One S, and similarly priced.
  • If you have a PS4, there is no point in upgrading to the Slim. If you don't have a PS4 and want to get it, just wait, because the PS4 [Pro] (I put it in a box, like Apple does, which Sony proudly copied) is coming soon. So there is 0 reason to even touch the PS4 Slim. At least the XBox One S for current XBox One users, gain something, like 4K blu-ray support, smaller box, with the PSU inside, nicer looking, and smaller form factor. Here you get nothing.. just a bit smaller...

PlayStation 4 [Pro] is the same but faster GPU. Which is nice, don't get me wrong, but for those expecting "4K gaming!" "60fps!!!!". What you'll see is NEWER games (current ones might run better (less frame drops), but no resolution or fps increase) will have better graphics, which really means that performance will go there instead of more fps or higher resolution. And this will remain until games have settings panels like on Games on PC, where you can adjust things for better graphics, or higher resolution (assuming you have the display), or better performance.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Maaaan,,, I wanted it to call it PlayStation Neo

I was hoping for it to be called Neo, so I could tell people it is The One. I would even name it The One. And it's gone. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

If the GPU on PS4 Pro is indeed only double the shading power of the PS4, XBOX Scorpio would be twice as fast as PS4 Pro

Yeeeaa, I want to see exact specs of the GPU... I don't like to jump on these claims... and what does "double the shading power" means. Is it a new GPU architecture? Or a modified one? or it is the exact same GPU by double the clock rate, and what is sucky as doing things, remains sucky (meaning performance is much less than real life, and limited by other bottlenecks.)?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Yeeeaa, I want to see exact specs of the GPU... I don't like to jump on these claims... and what does "double the shading power" means. Is it a new GPU architecture? Or a modified one? or it is the exact same GPU by double the clock rate, and what is sucky as doing things, remains sucky (meaning performance is much less than real life, and limited by other bottlenecks.)?

The only "hard" specs I've heard are:

1. Double the Shaders (So I think it's safe to say double the Stream Processors)

2. Polaris Architecture (Though it could very well have semi-custom code and design)

3. Same Jaguar Cores, but with a higher clock rate

Considering how they're still using those weaksauce Jaguar cores, I wonder how badly that GPU will be bottlenecked compared to the one in the existing PS4.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I thought I remember reading on reddit somewhere that the GPU is polaris based. No source other than that though.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

14 minutes ago, LucidMew said:

I thought I remember reading on reddit somewhere that the GPU is polaris based. No source other than that though.

it's confirmed to be polaris based

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Maaaan,,, I wanted it to call it PlayStation Neo-Geo... no fun Sony.

All in all:

• The Slim model makes 0 sense. At least with the XBox one S, you can say: "Hey I have a cheap 4K Blu-ray player that can play games", also the drive capacity is lower than the XBox One S, and similarly priced.
  • If you have a PS4, there is no point in upgrading to the Slim. If you don't have a PS4 and want to get it, just wait, because the PS4 [Pro] (I put it in a box, like Apple does, which Sony proudly copied) is coming soon. So there is 0 reason to even touch the PS4 Slim. At least the XBox One S for current XBox One users, gain something, like 4K blu-ray support, smaller box, with the PSU inside, nicer looking, and smaller form factor. Here you get nothing.. just a bit smaller...

PlayStation 4 [Pro] is the same but faster GPU. Which is nice, don't get me wrong, but for those expecting "4K gaming!" "60fps!!!!". What you'll see is NEWER games (current ones might run better (less frame drops), but no resolution or fps increase) will have better graphics, which really means that performance will go there instead of more fps or higher resolution. And this will remain until games have settings panels like on Games on PC, where you can adjust things for better graphics, or higher resolution (assuming you have the display), or better performance.

I wouldn't say it makes zero sense.  For people on a budget who haven't yet purchased a PS4, the slim model makes sense.  In the PC space, there are plenty of consumers who do not buy the latest and greatest thing.  I bought a GTX 1070.  I could have bought a GTX 1080 or a Titan X for that matter.  There is no such thing as the "best" thing, as that is a constantly moving variable.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

39 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

It's not a miracle. It can be done with many games. You just need to watch the boring keynote.

Anyone else think Sony have missed a trick here, by not making it freesync compatible....

Freesync would help out consoles a lot, sure TV's don't support it, but it would have been nice to have the option to connect it to a freesync monitor to smooth out some of the frame drops.

I may pick one up for PES as the PC version again is last gen again...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

34 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

I wouldn't say it makes zero sense.  For people on a budget who haven't yet purchased a PS4, the slim model makes sense.  In the PC space, there are plenty of consumers who do not buy the latest and greatest thing.  I bought a GTX 1070.  I could have bought a GTX 1080 or a Titan X for that matter.  There is no such thing as the "best" thing, as that is a constantly moving variable.

But why not buy the older model, you can even put the older model vertically, and because it is the "old model", it should be found cheaper (or the same price) than the Slim. PLUS, you have optical audio out,

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But why not buy the older model, you can even put the older model vertically, and because it is the "old model", it should be found cheaper (or the same price) than the Slim. PLUS, you have optical audio out,

Do we know if the new model runs cooler?  That's a possible benefit assuming the customer wouldn't need optical out.

10 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

Do we know if the new model runs cooler?  That's a possible benefit assuming the customer wouldn't need optical out.

Ars says that the console and controller buttons of the revision controller are equally as loud.

And the blu-ray drive remains loud as ever when installing games.

And the console is equally hot (a hint hotter actually).

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/ps4-slim-review-2/

That is why I really don't get this Slim model. I can't see any improvement, so why bother?

It costs millions of dollars in R&D and manufacturing preparation (do test runs, setup QC, fix issues, work with multiple partners, etc) for a new console, they would save more money by not having the Slim.

See, the XBox One Slim has reasons. It improves upon the older design in many ways, solved many issues, and brings new features on the table. There is some level of justification for it. Plus, the console isn't selling as well, so the company can justify the mood of "Let's try!". But Sony... I have nothing...Beside no glossy plastic. While I hate glossy plastic with passion, I don't think I would not buy a PS4 just for that, and now I'll buy it.

That sweet 4K (upscaled) 30fps gaming. Makes so, much, sense. Said no one ever. Can't 60fps become standard seriously now. Even calculator is 60fps...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, arnavvr said:

I like the Xbox Franchise, but damn, the *second and third* consoles are fucking unreliable. (I'm on my second 360 and it just red ringed)

I thought that I'd fix that-the Original Xbox just refuse to die, that is if you don't over-use the disc drive and don't softmod+upgrade the HDD.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can I say I'm slightly disappointed they called it the PS4 PLUS, I loved the simplistic PS4K, I thought that would have been a great title for the console...

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ars says that the console and controller buttons of the revision controller are equally as loud.

And the blu-ray drive remains loud as ever when installing games.

And the console is equally hot (a hint hotter actually).

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/ps4-slim-review-2/

That is why I really don't get this Slim model. I can't see any improvement, so why bother?

It costs millions of dollars in R&D and manufacturing preparation (do test runs, setup QC, fix issues, work with multiple partners, etc) for a new console, they would save more money by not having the Slim.

See, the XBox One Slim has reasons. It improves upon the older design in many ways, solved many issues, and brings new features on the table. There is some level of justification for it. Plus, the console isn't selling as well, so the company can justify the mood of "Let's try!". But Sony... I have nothing...Beside no glossy plastic. While I hate glossy plastic with passion, I don't think I would not buy a PS4 just for that, and now I'll buy it.

Does the slim model have a 4K Blu-ray drive?  If not, then I agree.

6 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

Does the slim model have a 4K Blu-ray drive?  If not, then I agree.

No 4K support at all. HDR functionality will be released on the PS4 original and Slim at a later date via a system firmware update.