Falcon 9 rocket blows up during static fire test, destroying Facebook satellite

Tataffe

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket just exploded during a test on a launch pad at Cape Canaveral. This rocket was set to launch on Saturday, Sept. 3 on a mission to deliver Facebook’s first satellite to orbit.

SpaceX has confirmed that there were no personal injuries in the blast but the rocket and payload were destroyed.

SpaceX mentions "an anomaly on the pad", which does not clarify wether the vehicle or the pad itself was the cause for this incident.

It would have been a new milestone: This particular rocket would have been the first rocket to be reused after landing back on earth, on a drone ship in April this year. It is therefore not unlikely that the cause for the incident can be tracked back to wearout or fatigue resulting from it's previous flight. As per usual, they will investigate and probably do better next time. The launch was originally scheduled for September 3rd, 07:00 UTC. The payload, Facebook’s first satellite called "Amos 6", was destroyed in the incident.

Source

Edited, nevermind the cancelled part. Thanks for the correction @lots of unexplainable lag :)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

This is probably not good, but there's gotta be someone out there that's happy Facebook's satellite was destroyed :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is probably not good, but there's gotta be someone out there that's happy Facebook's satellite was destroyed :P 

I mean... I can't say I'm sorry for them with a straight face...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

*Syntaxvgm attempted to like this post*

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i suspect twitter

/s

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

32 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I am very happy facebook's satellite however I wish they also built the rocket

Also I wondering what that satellite was going to be doing

Image result for Facebook is always watching

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

For the record, this was not Facebook's satellite. The owner is an Israeli company called Spacecom.

Facebook simply leased some of the satellites spot beam broadband capability. 

http://www.space.com/33929-spacex-falcon-9-rocket-explodes-on-launch-pad.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos-6

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Here's a video of the thing blowing up (via Dutch site De Telegraaf: http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/26522467/__Raket_SpaceX_explodeert__.html ).

Seems awfully familiar to the CRS-7 disaster last June (which also blew the 2nd stage to bits due to a helium tank breaking loose causing an overpressure event and a loss of the entire rocket). That was in flight though, this isn't. Hell, the engines weren't even firing at the time of the explosion. No reason to speculate on it until SpaceX has done their full investigation.

Ye ole' train

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

i am. but i am sad for Elon poor guy must be so pissed/sad right now. 

Considering this is still experimental technology, especially on the "reusable" part... I pretty much expected this to happen at some point or another.

SpaceX will work out the kinks and make it work.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

27 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Here's a video of the thing blowing up (via Dutch site De Telegraaf: http://www.telegraaf.nl/buitenland/26522467/__Raket_SpaceX_explodeert__.html ).

Wish it was shot using NASA's new HDR camaera

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Well I am very happy facebook's satellite however I wish they also built the rocket

Also I wondering what that satellite was going to be doing

Image result for Facebook is always watching

There's a livestream where you can see Earth through a camera on the ISS, 24/7.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I believe his names @Trik'Stari:P

14 minutes ago, ADM-Ntek said:

i am. but i am sad for Elon poor guy must be so pissed/sad right now. 

Yeah. Though I doubt he wants people feeling sorry for him. 

I'm waiting for SpaceX to start doing manned flights again. 

- snip-

2 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Facebook: Taking intrusive advertising and tracking to new heights (pun intended)

Facebook signed a 5 year lease for services to be rendered by the satellite, the satellite was not owned by Facebook, it was owned by Spacecom.

I know that's really not the point behind your post, but people seem to be struggling with this concept in this thread. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 minute ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Facebook signed a 5 year lease for services to be rendered by the satellite, the satellite was not owned by Facebook, it was owned by Spacecom.

I know that's really not the point behind your post, but people seem to be struggling with this concept in this thread. 

I know, I just don't really like facebook's tracking.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

Wish it was shot using NASA's new HDR camaera

What you want is a real life michael bay movie

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

That's very unfortunate for SpaceX. There's huge potential in getting their reusable rocket technology but they seem to have a very rocky track record. I hope that they are able to gain some useful information from this failed launch to prevent future occurrences from happening again.

Facebook and its satellite can suck it though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I am xD Phuck Facebook

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just figured I would put this here (because it seems like no one knows what Facebook has to do with the satellite): the company that owns the satellite (Spacecom) was leasing Facebook time on the satellite to provide internet service to central Africa. 

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.

5 hours ago, Tataffe said:

Thats some Michael Bay shit right there, :)

Do SpaceX ever give up, they blow a rocket up and are then like "Same time tommorrow boys?" 

Imo, the most persevering company

9 minutes ago, Mr_Flynn said:

Just figured I would put this here (because it seems like no one knows what Facebook has to do with the satellite): the company that owns the satellite (Spacecom) was leasing Facebook time on the satellite to provide internet service to central Africa. 

I've tried to bring this to light but people dont care. They're too busy hating on facebook to let facts get in the way.