NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reference Model Pictured – Single 6-Pin Power Connector, No SLI Bridge

Mr_Troll

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reference Model Pictured In All Its Glory – Single 6-Pin Power Connector, Compact PCB and No SLI Bridge

The first pictures of NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition have been unveiled by PurePC. The reveal confirms that the GeForce GTX 1060 is already in the hands of reviewers and ready for launch next week. The GeForce GTX 1060 will be based on NVIDIA’s Pascal architecture which utilizes the brand new 16nm FinFET technology to deliver unprecedented increase in clock speeds and superior performance per watt.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card_Box
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Pictured In All Its Glory – The First Pascal GP106 Graphics Card

We have learned a great deal about the GeForce GTX 1060 over the last week but there’s more to come. The GeForce GTX 1060 is NVIDIA bringing Pascal to to the mainstream market. NVIDIA currently has two high-end Pascal cards in the market, the GeForce GTX 1070 and GeForce GTX 1060 which retail at prices beyond $350 USD. To attract a larger portion of the market to their Pascal lineup, NVIDIA will be launching their affordable GP106 GPU based solutions with sub-$300 US prices.

Starting off with the specifications, the GeForce GTX 1060 would feature 1280 CUDA cores and 80 TMUs. The Pascal GP106 core on the 1060 has been configured to boost beyond 1.7 GHz which is impressive. NVIDIA has a massive lead in terms of core frequencies with TSMC’s 16nm FF process node and that shows as their chips are built to clock beyond 2 GHz when overclocked. The graphics card features 6 GB of GDDR5 memory which runs at 8 GHz. This means that we will be getting 192.00 GB/s bandwidth on this card since it comes with a 192-bit bus interface.

The GeForce 1060 will also be using the reference Pascal display configuration of three Display Port 1.4, single HDMI 2.0b and also a single DVI port. Since this is Pascal we are talking about, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 would feature just 120W TDP and power would be provided through a single 6-Pin connector. Looking at the card, we can note that it is missing the SLI bridge which confirms reports that the card won’t be capable of multi-GPU functionality.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card_Back

While this is a turn down for many people, it should be noted that recent games have been real poor in terms of multi-GPU functionality and most GPU makers have to opt in special support from the devs for their specific GPU architectures. The percentage of SLI setups in the mainstream market is also much lower compared to the high-end market since users prefer single card solutions since they offer more value across AAA games. But it would have been nice to get SLI support to those users who prefer higher performance by installing a second card in their rigs.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Graphics Card_Side
NVIDIA GeForce 1060 Founders Edition Comes With A Compact PCB

Since this is the reference variant, we should also just call it the GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition. The design of this card is very reminiscent of its other two Pascal based siblings. The GeForce GTX 1060 features a very nice design scheme with black and silver textures across its shroud. The GTX 1060 naming is etched on the front and we can spot the “GeForce GTX” logo on the side which should feature LED lightning. The card features a blower style cooler than vents air into the internal chassis that comprises of a large titanium black covered aluminum heatsink

You can also see that the 6-Pin power connector is not part of the PCB and moved to the very rear of the shroud itself. Graphics cards that use extended coolers usually place the power connectors towards the middle of the card which hinders cable management required to reach the power connector. In such configuration, users will be able to manage cables with ease.

We can clearly see that the PCB is very short on the GeForce GTX 1060 which is similar to its older Kepler based predecessors such as the GTX 670. Custom additions from AIBs will allow even shorter design like the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX OC which is the fastest SFF gaming solution launching soon. The GeForce GTX 1060 would feature a price close to $250 US

nvidia doing the same mistake as amd did with the 480. Wow. GJ. and GL.

Source:http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-pictured/

http://www.purepc.pl/karty_graficzne/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1060_zapowiedz_testu_na_purepc_i_zdjecia

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Wow, as a Polish guy I'm impressed that a polish site is first in... anything D: GJ PurePC.

no SLI bridge... hm... this can mean one of two things:

1) YAY!!! XDMA, welcome to 2013 nVidia

or

2) "We didn't even bother to consider SLI support, but you can unlock a different PCB with enthusiast key, because we want to be on 3DMark and HWBot rankings, lel" - Huang

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

5 minutes ago, DXMember said:

no SLI bridge... hm... this can mean one of two things:

1) YAY!!! XDMA, welcome to 2013 nVidia

or

2) "We didn't even bother to consider SLI support, but you can unlock a different PCB with enthusiast key, because we want to be on 3DMark and HWBot rankings, lel" - Huang

With the entry model being only 3gb of ram for a card that will probably already struggle with that little vram for that much processing power (people have seen the 480 perform basically on the limit of the 4gb vram model and this card is reportedly as powerful or more powerful) they might as well not allow people to waste their money for something it flatout wouldn't work.

I think that they will aim to replace the "1050" with the 3gb cheap 1060 but don't quote me on that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

1070 > 1060

The third number kinda gives it away c:

ya that's what I Was going off of, how much cheaper is it going to be?

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

ya that's what I Was going off of, how much cheaper is it going to be?

MSRP of $250~ but custom ones will be more expensive. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

I just bought a GTX 1070 SC, so I assume the 1060 will be worse than the 1070? No point in sending the 1070 back is there?

we can never be sure, better send it back and wait it out

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

One rumor suggests the 3GB variant has no SLI while the 6GB will allow 2-way.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

17 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

nvidia doing the same mistake as amd did with the 480. Wow. GJ. and GL.

am I missing something?

What's the mistake you're refering to?

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

One rumor suggests the 3GB variant has no SLI while the 6GB will allow 2-way.

You could have safed the "2-way" part :D Would be funny if it allows for 3/4-way.

linux master race.

unlike the 480 (which pulls similar power to the GTX 1080), the single 6-pin should be more than adequate for the 1060.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

am I missing something?

He refers to to PCIe slot overdraw, but he doesn't get that NVIDIA is again more efficient than AMD and AMD probably only did this whole 6-pin thing because they wanted to keep their efficiency claims alive.

linux master race.

Just because AMD messed up the 480 power, why are some thinking nvidia will do the same here? This is not the same condition. If I'm not mistaken, the 480 is a 150W card that takes more than 150W. The 1060 is a 120W card that will have some headroom for OC before crossing that magic barrier where more power connectors are really needed.

Anyway, this is looking like roughly half a 1080 for under half the price, it should be fun for budget systems. I would look forward to shorter after market cards.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, Kunter said:

He refers to to PCIe slot overdraw, but he doesn't get that NVIDIA is again more efficient than AMD and AMD probably only did this whole 6-pin thing because they wanted to keep their efficiency claims alive.

the funny thing about the 6-pin is that it's all a misdirection, a bluff,, they decieved everyone because the 6-pin on RX 480 is wired as if it's 8-pin and can easily pull 250W

the PCI-E thing really weird thoug... but it can be easily fixed with shorting two solder pins that are already on the card (probably void the waranty if you do it yourself though), all AiBs have already resolved it with custom cards, the reference card is issued a software fix

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

the funny thing about the 6-pin is that it's all a misdirection, a bluff,, they decieved everyone because the 6-pin on RX 480 is wired as if it's 8-pin and can easily pull 250W

the PCI-E thing really weird thoug... but it can be easily fixed with shorting two solder pins that are already on the card, all AiBs have already resolved it with custom cards, the reference card is issued a software fix

I've seen buildzoid's video, too. 

I see that the 6-pin is no problem, but it still poses the question: Why?

They could have just taken an 8-pin an be fine, but all the claims they made about how much improvement to power management they made would have been a laughingstock right of the bat.

linux master race.

1 minute ago, Kunter said:

I've seen buildzoid's video, too. 

I see that the 6-pin is no problem, but it still poses the question: Why?

They could have just taken an 8-pin an be fine, but all the claims they made about how much improvement to power management they made would have been a laughingstock right of the bat.

the 6-ping is for marketing, becoz people were real buthurt about AMD and powerhogging

16 minutes ago, DXMember said:

am I missing something?

11 minutes ago, Kunter said:

Both of you failed to get what he's doing. 

Anyway nvidia 480 was so hot you can bbq on it.

41989_grillforce.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Anyway nvidia 480 was so hot you can bbq on it.

oJXjNF5.jpg

7 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Could happen :P 

Not really, no.