What tech company do you hate the most? Why?

Go to solution Solved by Zentex,

Does EA count as a tech company?

Comcast. Biggest fucking load of garbage ever. Now I call them Cumscam.

Also, Microsoft, but only for Windows. There are often times I want to sell my PCs and just grab a MacBook Pro because of how much Windows irritates me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Why I say TF2 is a ripoff is because it's basically recycling content from CSGO now. Not to mention half the skins don't even look that good.

I'm one of those who think that TF2's on a decline, and to be honest, it's been like that ever since the shit they pulled with the End of the Line update and cp_snowplow. EoTL was a glorified hat update, Smissmas 2014 sucked ass, Gun Mettle tried reverting their mistakes from EoTL while being 6 months too late and ripping off CSGO at the same time. Invasion was pointless, SF2015 was disappointing, Smissmas 2015 aka the Tough Break update was really fucking stupid and lazier than 2014, I can go on.

So they're ripping off their own game... Huh...

Anyway, while a lot of that is subjective stuff I can't argue, the comment on the Gun Mettle update is a bit of a stretch. A crate system is a crate system, there's not much you can do do differentiate them. Weapon aesthetics are weapon aesthetics, there's not really much you can do to differentiate them.

I do agree that TF2 and CS:GO are starting to merge a bit, but they're the same genre of game from the same developer and are both currently active products. I'd quite frankly be surprised if they didn't.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

AT&T Horrible customer service, always try to steal your money with some scam, and not even good service. 

System: Thinkpad T460

1 minute ago, Speedyv said:

AT&T Horrible customer service, always try to steal your money with some scam, and not even good service. 

honestly thank god i left their wireless service a long time ago. their plans were crazy overpriced, and the data allotments suck.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Eh. One thing with the DS4 is that, yeah it doesn't fit in the hand as nicely as like a 360 controller but I think it still feels pretty decent. I didn't care too much for DS3 when I tried it. DS1 and DS2 were okay but I guess maybe because the DS3 was really similar to the DS1 and 2 that it just didn't seem like it was worthwhile.

My problem is the analog sticks. They just aren't meant for fine control, at all.

The Steam Controller is actually really comfortable to use, the trackpads are amazing (if you put in some time to switch), and the level of customization and versatility is absurd. I'd really recommend giving it a shot.

32 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I hate all of you.  /jk

I'd have to say any company that can't properly vent a damn laptop. 

:'(

/s

But annoyingly loud laptops are annoying. I had a colleague with a Sony laptop and I often sat next to him and his laptop would just blow hot air on my hand. Super annoying :P 

27 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I really couldn't say for sure.

I don't wanna say Nvidia, because, truth be told, they aren't the Satan of everything.

If I had to pick one company, it'd be Valve, no questions asked. 

No direction with their controllers or the Steam Machines, the ridiculous amount of ripping off they're doing in TF2, the blatant fact that they cannot optimize for shit, the list goes on.

Ugh, Valve.. They have gotten pretty annoying, for me personally starting with the Skyrim paid mods. From there I just started realizing the other shit they do, like how shitty Steam can be.

It's kind of a love-hate relationship, as I sometimes like Steam, but sometimes hate it. It's great that all my games can be in one spot, but their VAC system can be pretty faulty and they take a lot of money from devs . But on the other there's a refund system now, which is great... It has killed the sales though.

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Eh. One thing with the DS4 is that, yeah it doesn't fit in the hand as nicely as like a 360 controller but I think it still feels pretty decent. I didn't care too much for DS3 when I tried it. DS1 and DS2 were okay but I guess maybe because the DS3 was really similar to the DS1 and 2 that it just didn't seem like it was worthwhile.

For me the Dualshock controllers ranked:

DS2 > DS4 > DS1 > DS3

They both have their pros and cons, but overall the DS3 is the worst to me because of the L2 and R2, size (too small) and the slippery dog nose thumbsticks. DS2 is my favorite because it just feels right. It also has dog nose thumbsticks, but they are a lot better. L2 and R2 are the best they have ever been, vibration was pretty good and nothing to complain about otherwise.

DS4 is meh, since I hate the thumbsticks (the border on them), but like the L2 and R2 a bit. otherwise the grip is kinda meh. My opinion on the DS1 is the same as DS2, except it doesn't have thumbsticks.

(Also, GameCube controller = ultimate bae)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned companies that do no real good for the industry at all. Here's two that stand out:

Rambus: Their slogan for a while was "License to speed". Speed what? Lawsuits and patent litigation out the ass? Name me one Rambus product that was actually a thing and not just another IP that they had someone else built that did something magnificent for the computer industry in general. I mean, I guess technically RDRAM since Nintendo and Sony used them, but nobody else used their products after that (Intel's dork year with them notwithstanding)

Monster Cable: Selling overpriced digital cables that have more physical snake oil terms than the average audiophile can dispense in one decade. $100 6 foot HDMI cable? Sure! And let's not forget they tried to market their "superior" HDMI cable by putting it up against a composite input and told us to "see the Monster Cable difference". And then there's the fact they tried to sue anyone and everyone who had the word "monster" in either their company or product, even if it had nothing to do with the tech industry. This included things like Monster energy drink and Pixar for Monster's Inc.

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

For me the Dualshock controllers ranked:

DS2 > DS4 > DS1 > DS3

They both have their pros and cons, but overall the DS3 is the worst to me because of the L2 and R2, size (too small) and the slippery dog nose thumbsticks. DS2 is my favorite because it just feels right. It also has dog nose thumbsticks, but they are a lot better. L2 and R2 are the best they have ever been, vibration was pretty good and nothing to complain about otherwise.

DS4 is meh, since I hate the thumbsticks (the border on them), but like the L2 and R2 a bit. otherwise the grip is kinda meh. My opinion on the DS1 is the same as DS2, except it doesn't have thumbsticks.

(Also, GameCube controller = ultimate bae)

I just noticed DS2 and DS1 don't have paddle triggers. Huh interesting.

I like the concave joysticks, the convex ones are okay too but I think concave feels better.

I never used GameCube controller, it looks kinda odd. The Wii controller was by far the best controller. 3.0

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

#1 Microsoft -> for ruining everything they touch

#2 Nvidia -> for deceiving and screwing over their own customers AND the PC Gaming community with shoddy "developer tools".

#3 Razer/Logitech -> Fanboy companies that spend more time pleasing the plebs then producing quality ass stuff

#4 ASUS -> for not giving a shit about quality outside of one segment

#5 AMD -> for fucking up the CPU market.

Can you elaborate on the Asus thing. I personally have a cheap Asus tablet and I agree that it kind of sucks, but that's probably because they can't deliver a proper Android optimization and they made a few bad design decisions. Besides that, I find many nice budget Asus laptop offering features that no other manufacturer offers at this price range. I'm not criticizing, I just want you to elaborate.

Toshiba for making the worst quality notebook computers that I've ever seen.

And MSI for using cheap hinges on 800 euro notebooks (my GP60-2PE hinges broke just after warranty expired..)

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

I'd say Electronic Arts for keeping up offering shitty games, almost no innovation between the generations, server issues, gameplay issues, inconsistent service across countries... but spending so much on marketing that everything looks great.

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I just noticed DS2 and DS1 don't have paddle triggers. Huh interesting.

I like the concave joysticks, the convex ones are okay too but I think concave feels better.

I never used GameCube controller, it looks kinda odd. The Wii controller was by far the best controller. 3.0

The annoying thing about that design of the L2 and R2 buttons on the DS1 and DS2 though is that they can get stuck.. But IMO it's still better than the current so wrong feeling triggers on the DS3 and DS4 (IMO of course)

And I have kinda big thumbs, so the DS4's concave-ness just feels terrible. true concave like that on the Xbox 360 (not even much the Xbox One) feels better.

The GameCube controller IS odd and that is what makes it great :D The different shapes of buttons, the small right thumbstick, the L and R buttons.. It just all comes together as an awesome package for me. Sure it's not the best for fps games and the D-Pad is not the best, but it just works for me.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

49 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Look at Linus' Blade 2016 review. There is around 15-20% throttling. And the 15' Macbooks come with R9 M370Xs so around a 940MX-950M

His review of the "New" Blade says that you'll only encounter the thermal limits under very stressful workloads.

Can you point me specifically to what you're talking about?

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Can you elaborate on the Asus thing. I personally have a cheap Asus tablet and I agree that it kind of sucks, but that's probably because they can't deliver a proper Android optimization and they made a few bad design decisions. Besides that, I find many nice budget Asus laptop offering features that no other manufacturer offers at this price range. I'm not criticizing, I just want you to elaborate.

Asus only makes good mobos that is where their QA is good.

Their GPU coolers are more expensive, noisier and less efficient then competing solutions with just as many fans.

Their monitors are overpriced for what they are in terms of specs and features

Their Laptops are very "up and down" in terms of assembly quality (lots of them gets a bit loose/creaking after a couple of years).

Their ODDs are outright terrible

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

His review of the "New" Blade says that you'll only encounter the thermal limits under very stressful workloads.

Can you point me specifically to what you're talking about?

GTA V - a game perfectly playable if not for overheating. You see, running at 95*C for prolonged periods (gaming) SEVERELY decreases battery, CPU, GPU, Motherboard and power circuitry's lifespan. The Blade WILL die of heat first and foremost.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

GTA V - a game perfectly playable if not for overheating. You see, running at 95*C for prolonged periods (gaming) SEVERELY decreases battery, CPU, GPU, Motherboard and power circuitry's lifespan. The Blade WILL die of heat first and foremost.

Yes, I can interpret numbers fine, I just want to see where you're getting them. Could you give me a specific video or a timestamp for something I missed in his New Blade review?

Yes, I can interpret numbers fine, I just want to see where you're getting them. Could you give me a specific video or a timestamp for something I missed in his New Blade review?

It's called common sense. When a GPU reaches 90*C it drops to, in this case, 540MHz and the game goes from 60fps to 20fps or less.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

8 minutes ago, Minibois said:

The annoying thing about that design of the L2 and R2 buttons on the DS1 and DS2 though is that they can get stuck.. But IMO it's still better than the current so wrong feeling triggers on the DS3 and DS4 (IMO of course)

And I have kinda big thumbs, so the DS4's concave-ness just feels terrible. true concave like that on the Xbox 360 (not even much the Xbox One) feels better.

The GameCube controller IS odd and that is what makes it great :D The different shapes of buttons, the small right thumbstick, the L and R buttons.. It just all comes together as an awesome package for me. Sure it's not the best for fps games and the D-Pad is not the best, but it just works for me.

You don't like the paddle triggers on the DS4? I could understand the joysticks on the DS4 even though I like them better than the 360. 

I like the shorter travel distance to trigger that the triggers on the DS4 have over the 360.

Dualshock D-Pads are better than the 360 dpad imo.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

2. Logitech. their products as of now are crap. like the g920 and g29 absolutely sucks now, they have WAY too many buttons (though they might be useful) and they're almost impossible to mod, with the exception of the shifter (which is now being sold SEPARATELY), because of all the buttons on the wheel. i mean, with a g27 or g25, you can take the wheel off and disconnect like one connector for the buttons and have an adapter plate including replacement buttons, and you can tack on a custom full size wheel on it. now you can't. they're not making user friendly products anymore. it's so stupid. they're just making stupid flashy products. and their new logo sucks too.

What wrong with the g402/g502?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

It's called common sense. When a GPU reaches 90*C it drops to, in this case, 540MHz and the game goes from 60fps to 20fps or less.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I know what the temp means, I'm asking where you're getting that temp.

Yeah, if a GPU reaches 90C it will throttle quite noticeably, but you need to demonstrate how that's related to the Blade. I'm not making any claims because I don't have the numbers, but you obviously do (at least you think you do), so I'd like to see them.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I know what the temp means, I'm asking where you're getting that temp.

Yeah, if a GPU reaches 90C it will throttle quite noticeably, but you need to demonstrate how that's related to the Blade. I'm not making any claims because I don't have the numbers, but you obviously do (at least you think you do), so I'd like to see them.

Linus' video shows the CPU at 100% load going to 85*C

Imagine what happens when you add a 100W 970M to the mix? I'll tell you - over 95*C

9 minutes ago, wcreek said:

You don't like the paddle triggers on the DS4? I could understand the joysticks on the DS4 even though I like them better than the 360. 

I like the shorter travel distance to trigger that the triggers on the DS4 have over the 360.

Dualshock D-Pads are better than the 360 dpad imo.

I was never a fan of the triggers on the DS4, DS3, Xbox 360 or Xbone controller. They are too resistant IMO. And the PS4's dpad is pretty good. Not too stiff (which is annoying on the GameCube) and actually kinda accurate (as opposed to the 360 dpad :P

Linus' video shows the CPU at 100% load going to 85*C

Imagine what happens when you add a 100W 970M to the mix? I'll tell you - over 95*C

Okay, so conjecture then.

You can't construct a factual argument on the basis of evidence that's conjectural. Sure, it makes sense, and now that I look at the second chart he shows (missed the first time because he didn't talk too much about it) I think it's reasonable to assume the GPU throttles, but we're still only seeing numbers for the CPU. Not only that, but these are synthetic tests.

Linus obviously didn't go into much detail about the performance. Do you have any actual benchmarks or other relevant measurements?