First (Junky) AM4 Motherboard Spotted

awesomeness10120

Clarification: This appears to be an HP OEM AM4 motherboard. Low-end, and for a Bristol Ridge APU. Hence why it looks like something you wouldn't want in your machine.

Was chatting on the AMD discord chat and we noticed a few interesting things about this image.

1. The memory sticks shown to the side are definitely DDR4. The slots are definitely DDR4 slots (location of notch vs. DDR3)
  2. There is a chip on the board with the AMD logo on it. This may be the promontory chip.
  3. There are display outputs on the board, so this is definitely meant to be for an APU. (Summit ridge will not have an iGP, so bristol ridge?)
  4. There does not appear to be a southbridge or northbridge. AMD has stated that the southbridge and northbridge will be integrated for AM4-based systems.
  5. There is no 24 pin power connector - why? This appears to be an OEM board. If you look closely, you can see an HP logo on the motherboard. HP has a proprietary board and power delivery system for many of their existing motherboards that do not have a 24 pin connector either. However, they're low end systems (HP 6005 comes to mind). This adds to the notion that the chip used is Bristol Ridge, an APU (not zen-powered, however) Here is a motherboard used in an HP 6005 for comparison:https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB156pfJFXXXXahXpXXq6xXFXXXf/Free-shipping-for-font-b-hp-b-font-font-b-6005-b-font-Pro-font-b.jpg

This appears to be a Bristol Ridge APU on an HP AM4 motherboard with DDR4 memory.

On the AMD subreddit, an HP OEM AM4 motherboard was spotted. This also completely affirms no PCH on the motherboard as well as the return of the PGA socket. Of course, it being a pre-build board it is crappy, but hey, it's an entirely new socket and platform.

e0KoAXk.jpgSource: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4mawyj/am4_motherboard/

Ew, proprietary connectors. Those are the worst.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

yikes :/ 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Colour scheme straight out of early 90s Lego. Hot.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

4 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

giphy.gif

The fuuuuuutureeee

That socket size is awesome, mini-ITX will be possible this time!

Along with no PCH, you can save tons of room on a motherboard. Dual M.2 MATX FTW!

You were being kind by saying "junky"...

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

One of the most interesting aspects that I forgot to mention is the cooler mounting holes, which confirms a new socket. AMD may be moving to the same mounting holes as Intel LGA sockets. 

this motherboard looks like is straight out of 2005

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

My dog's puke is more appealing than that motherboard's color scheme.

PC: i3 6100/R9 380X 4GB/8GB DDR4/840GB worth of SSDs * rMBP: i7 4870HQ/GT 750M 2GB/16GB DDR3/512GB SSD * Wii U 8GB/XB1S 2TB

9 minutes ago, awesomeness10120 said:

This is about the new motherboard design and platform. Not the CPU itself. 

it ties together since NB and SB will now be integrated into the CPU

the only thing that remains on the mobo will be a optional "Promontory" chip that I also talked about in that thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/605138-amd-confirms-key-summit-ridge-specs/?do=findComment&comment=7841447

AMD-Summit-Ridge.jpg?resize=1024%2C481&s

that gray chip labeled AMD near the I/O might be the Promontory

Interesting, I don't know how much to believe but I would not be surprised if it is true. I do find it funny how much people are hating on the color and just overall look of the motherboard... it is an OEM (HP motherboard apparently) that will be used in what looks like a slimline or mini tower of an upcoming consumer,or possible business line, were looks are the last thing on there mind. Why? because it is going to be put in a case with no side panel window and under a desk in grandmas living room... I know this is an enthusiast forum but when you are complaining about the looks of OEM motherboards and not caring about what it might feature performance and reliability wise I think it is a sign you are spoiling yourself a little bit in the looks department. Not everyone cares about how a computer looks, most just want it to function. Sorry for my rant but most of the comments here are about looks and not features... 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

23 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Who's the genius that decided to place the sata ports above the PCIe slot

Possibly to work around the design of the case, especially if it ends up being a slimline style case were layout is key in order to get parts to fit the way they want them to.

Guys, this is most likely just an early prototype. But can't wait to see the real ones, specially the ROG series for me.

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

Weird. All the slimlines I've worked with had the sata ports at the very edge of the motherboard. I don't think I've ever seen a design like thsi one before

It's possible they changed it or that is just were they wanted to place the ports, persoanlly I don't think it should matter assuming the hard drive(s) are placed in the appropriate location. 

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

This post is more easier to find, and gives all the information in 1 post. your posts are spread throughout that other thread and take a while to find. This post also explains more about the motherboard and who manufactured it.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

31 minutes ago, rattacko123 said:

This post is more easier to find,

it's the same debate, as I said to the OP too

we're gonna have yet another handful of topics like we had for RX480?!

I like the completely random assortment of sata connectors.  It's like the designer just took a handful of the plastic bits, tossed them on the board, and wired it up where they fell xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Tarzan said:

I actually like the blue and yellow color scheme :)

Perhaps nostalgia for lego? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't think the Blue/Yellow scheme this OEM is using is hideous, it could be worse. Obviously consumer AM4 boards will be different. But since this is surfacing, its possible we might be getting Zen sometime this summer since all I recall Lisa Su talking about was the Zen is still alive and it's on schedule and it'll be a 40% IPC increase over Excavator based FX CPUs. I'd be really interested to see prices and benches. Because if it can beat an i5 6600K and cost marginally less. I'd go for it. Though I suppose I'd also want MSI to do a near copy of their Z170A SLI Plus, though they could call it like the like AM4 CF Plus. I'm also intrigued to see if having NB and SB on the CPU itself causes issues, like @zMeul brought up. And what the optional promontory is exactly for and what it can do.  

Right now the RX 480 doesn't seem like a very practical GPU for 1440p though I suppose it could do 1440p so long as you got the 8GB version so it's more like the 390/390X it seems that it's suppose to compete with in terms of performance.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

What don't people get by "OEM"? This is HP, they make computers targeted towards the people that just buy computers and use them. They don't tinker with them, they don't mod their cases they just use the damn machine and don't give two shits about how the internals look because they will never open it.