First (Junky) AM4 Motherboard Spotted

awesomeness10120
1 hour ago, wcreek said:

Right now the RX 480 doesn't seem like a very practical GPU for 1440p though I suppose it could do 1440p so long as you got the 8GB version so it's more like the 390/390X it seems that it's suppose to compete with in terms of performance.

As much as I'm dubious on synthetics, the 3D mark scores we've seen places it more on the level of the 980/Fury Non-X. So I'd say that certainly places it pretty firmly for 60fps 1440p gaming.

so.. for people commenting on the looks of the mobo and/or the custom connectors:

i'd dare to bet this thing is destined to go into their new workstation lineups that -offcourse- are in a place where looks dont matter, and usually come in a system where everything is easy to swap out in a timely manner. 24-pins are NOT easy to swap out in a timely manner :P

oh shit it has pins on cpu , #amdwentfullretard again, amd never learns

CkGTL6CUoAAIspJ.jpg

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

When I said I wanted the AMD of 2006 to make a return, this isn't what I meant.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

7 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

Along with no PCH, you can save tons of room on a motherboard. Dual M.2 MATX FTW!

Quad slots RAM dual M.2 on the underside mITX? PLLSSSSSS

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

I don't think the Blue/Yellow scheme this OEM is using is hideous, it could be worse. Obviously consumer AM4 boards will be different. But since this is surfacing, its possible we might be getting Zen sometime this summer since all I recall Lisa Su talking about was the Zen is still alive and it's on schedule and it'll be a 40% IPC increase over Excavator based FX CPUs. I'd be really interested to see prices and benches. Because if it can beat an i5 6600K and cost marginally less. I'd go for it. Though I suppose I'd also want MSI to do a near copy of their Z170A SLI Plus, though they could call it like the like AM4 CF Plus. I'm also intrigued to see if having NB and SB on the CPU itself causes issues, like @zMeul brought up. And what the optional promontory is exactly for and what it can do.  

Right now the RX 480 doesn't seem like a very practical GPU for 1440p though I suppose it could do 1440p so long as you got the 8GB version so it's more like the 390/390X it seems that it's suppose to compete with in terms of performance.

Absolutely certain there will be no Zen this summer. If it's on schedule, it'll launch in Q4 (which means if it launches before as in summer, it would be way ahead of schedule). In fact, Zen will soon start being sampled to a limited few and general sampling in Q3.

It would seem Promontory is a chip handling extra IO such as more USB, PCIE, SATA - just as the diagram says. Although that diagram doesn't seem real considering how outdated or wrong much of the information is but I do believe that there is some truth to what it is.

The biggest hurdle I see with a full SoC design is yields and how they will work with (or around) that but otherwise I honestly don't see how it would be a significant problem for consumers. I'm sure AMD has a bunch of engineers that have decided on this plan and looked at the pros and cons as well as risks involved in making such a move. Maybe they will end up moving things off the die again when Zen+ launches. Although let's be fair here: zMeul > Jim Keller. Jim Keller is a chump in comparison.

Just in case people think this board looks is representative, this is what a genuine Intel motherboard looks like:

intel-updates-bios-for-several-of-its-de

The AM4 board is simply OEM. They love looks as much as @zMeul loves AMD. Asus, MSI, etc. boards will look just like all other boards they make today. But just a little different due to the lack of south and northbridge. I can't wait for the ITX boards, and what they can do with those. Just imagine the Asus Impact without wasting space on the chipset.

1 hour ago, deviant88 said:

What were they supposed to learn? Once installed there really isn't any difference between an LGA or PGA.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

As much as I'm dubious on synthetics, the 3D mark scores we've seen places it more on the level of the 980/Fury Non-X. So I'd say that certainly places it pretty firmly for 60fps 1440p gaming.

Huh. From what I've heard and seen it's suppose to be more in line with the 390/390X, now its more in line with an R9 Fury? Huh. Well I like ACX 3.0 and have had a lot of stuff from AMD in the past 7 years.  I think I'll go with a GTX 1070 with ACX 3.0 maybe the SC version. 

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Absolutely certain there will be no Zen this summer. If it's on schedule, it'll launch in Q4 (which means if it launches before as in summer, it would be way ahead of schedule). In fact, Zen will soon start being sampled to a limited few and general sampling in Q3.

It would seem Promontory is a chip handling extra IO such as more USB, PCIE, SATA - just as the diagram says. Although that diagram doesn't seem real considering how outdated or wrong much of the information is but I do believe that there is some truth to what it is.

The biggest hurdle I see with a full SoC design is yields and how they will work with (or around) that but otherwise I honestly don't see how it would be a significant problem for consumers. I'm sure AMD has a bunch of engineers that have decided on this plan and looked at the pros and cons as well as risks involved in making such a move. Maybe they will end up moving things off the die again when Zen+ launches. Although let's be fair here: zMeul > Jim Keller. Jim Keller is a chump in comparison.

It's just interest that we'd be seeing OEM mobos for AM4/Zen this soon if AM4/Zen is still a fair bit away.

I was kinda thinking that Promontory might handle extra I/O.

It's an interesting move. iirc they're also using a 14nm FinFet design for Zen. 

I wonder if they'll be balanced in terms of the quality of their chips with and without SMT. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Huh. From what I've heard and seen it's suppose to be more in line with the 390/390X, now its more in line with an R9 Fury? Huh. Well I like ACX 3.0 and have had a lot of stuff from AMD in the past 7 years.  I think I'll go with a GTX 1070 with ACX 3.0 maybe the SC version. 

It's just interest that we'd be seeing OEM mobos for AM4/Zen this soon if AM4/Zen is still a fair bit away.

I was kinda thinking that Promontory might handle extra I/O.

It's an interesting move. iirc they're also using a 14nm FinFet design for Zen. 

I wonder if they'll be balanced in terms of the quality of their chips with and without SMT. 

AMD will have Bristol Ridge 28nm apus on the AM4 socket, thats why we are seeing the boards now. Also there were some leaked firestrike (i think they were firestrike) scores that showed the RX480 scoring higher than a gtx 980 and nearly equaling the Fury (non-x). 

3 hours ago, deviant88 said:

And what is exaly wrong with pin grid array?

Fixing bent pins on a CPU maybe a pain but it is fixable. Fixing bent pins on a motherboard is like repairing bent pins on a CPU with a blind fold on and the CPU is behind you. I want intel to move back to PGA, maybe even a slot CPU like Slot A and Slot 1.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

And what is exaly wrong with pin grid array?

Nothing of course, some people on here seem to think LGA offers more performance or are simply better for some other stupid reason, but AMD has had LGA Opterons since Q2 2006, Socket G34 for instance is LGA 1974.

10 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

One of the most interesting aspects that I forgot to mention is the cooler mounting holes, which confirms a new socket. AMD may be moving to the same mounting holes as Intel LGA sockets. 

I can almost confirm no, HP uses LGA mounting on all AMD boards.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

9 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Nothing of course, some people on here seem to think LGA offers more performance or are simply better for some other stupid reason, but AMD has had LGA Opterons since Q2 2006, Socket G34 for instance is LGA 1974.

Lol yeah i know that.

But that post from that guy simply looks that stupid.

That i was highly currious of why he makes a post like that. :D

I some specific cases i exaly prefer Pin grid array over Land grid array in certain situations.

But i highly doubt that @deviant88 has any common sense of what he did exaly post there.

And that makes me exaly currious.

How? I much rather have the pins on the CPU to be honest...why? Due to the fact it's sooooo much easier to fix yourself. Also there's no reason in not using PGA. Both are the same thing, just different in where the pins are located. Both have their own pros and cons so...you know :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I mean why would they switch mounting now, that would render the new wraith cooler obsolete.

39 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Damnit... I wanted to see a universal mounting system :(

10 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

One of the most interesting aspects that I forgot to mention is the cooler mounting holes, which confirms a new socket. AMD may be moving to the same mounting holes as Intel LGA sockets. 

It's not uncommon for OEMs to use different mounting holes for their boards. Dell and HP do this quite a lot.

1 hour ago, LeStringMan said:

I mean why would they switch mounting now, that would render the new wraith cooler obsolete.

OEMs don't use the stock cooling, I can get a picture of an HP mobo and cooler. It isn't stock and not AMD mounting.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

OEMs don't use the stock cooling, I can get a picture of an HP mobo and cooler. It isn't stock and not AMD mounting.

Well i'm not questioning that, although i do have an HP AM2 system which uses the standard AMD mounts, i'm simply wondering why AMD would release the wraith cooler and all, only to change the design a month later.

4 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

Well i'm not questioning that, although i do have an HP AM2 system which uses the standard AMD mounts, i'm simply wondering why AMD would release the wraith cooler and all, only to change the design a month later.

They didn't change it, this is a common OEM practice.

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

They didn't change it, this is a common OEM practice.

Yea that's what i'm saying, the OP is the one who asked if they might have changed over.

18 hours ago, awesomeness10120 said:

I was hoping they would take up something similar to the LGA 2011 mounting holes, where the backplate is preinstalled.

Makes installing coolers SOOOO easy