Strangling people who mix up K,M,GB/s and K,M,Gbps

ljcool_17

Has anyone ever felt like punching or strangling or running over people who mix B/s and bps transfer speeds like they interchange both units and cause a lot of confusion? I'm one of them. Hit this thread if you're fed up like me!

Same here, they should teach people this before they're allowed to use the Internet.

Why does my router only give me 50 MBps on AC at like 3 feet? I thought it was supposed to be like 450 Mbps....

/s

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I think I hate it more when people don't use their blinker in traffic. 

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

There are certainly things I hate more, because I do honestly understand why so many people get confused over it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, DioOmicida said:

I think I hate it more when people don't use their blinker in traffic. 

As someone who walks as much as possible, I concur. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I only feel like hitting something when I buy any type (amount) of storage just to end up not buying that amount of storage. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

There are certainly things I hate more, because I do honestly understand why so many people get confused over it.

Because, unless we're discussing mathematics, letters often mean the same thing whether it is lowercase or not. This has become normal especially because of texting, where the use of capital letters is nil. 

So, when those kinds of people come to the internet, they become quickly confused when discussing Mb and MB (where M can be Mega, Kilo, Giga, etc.).

There's not really any excuse for mixing up bits and bytes, other than typos and/or laziness, but if we're talking the whole GB/GiB 1000/1024 thing, there's a very good reason I think why this is so often misused and so many people get it wrong.  You see, when it comes to file sizes, for the longest time iirc all OSes used base 1024, but these days Windows still does but Ubuntu, and I think Mac OS too has moved on to using 1000.  Now remember that the common terms like "MB" and "megabyte" actually refer to the 1000 base, and 1024 is supposed to be called "mebibyte" or "MiB".  But Windows uses the base 1024 system and labels them like the base 1000 system! So on Windows 1 GB = 1024 MB, etc.  Then you can start talking RAM capacities and this whole discussion just goes even further off the rails.

In short, I nevre fault people for mixing those up because frankly I don't think I've ever seen a single person (including myself) use it correctly, unless they were explaining the issue like this! xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Because, unless we're discussing mathematics, letters often mean the same thing whether it is lowercase or not. This has become normal especially because of texting, where the use of capital letters is nil. 

So, when those kinds of people come to the internet, they become quickly confused when discussing Mb and MB (where M can be Mega, Kilo, Giga, etc.).

Oh, no no no. In mathematics, especially higher up capitols make a MASSIVE difference. I do get the point though

I was more or less talking about how service providers love to use mb/s because it makes their speeds sound faster than they really are, but everything else uses MB/s for ease of use. Most people simply don't understand tech that well to know there's a difference.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

No, I only get the urge to educate them.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Oh, no no no. In mathematics, especially higher up capitols make a MASSIVE difference. I do get the point though

I was more or less talking about how service providers love to use mb/s because it makes their speeds sound faster than they really are, but everything else uses MB/s for ease of use. Most people simply don't understand tech that well to know there's a difference.

That's what I was saying, in mathematics the variable must be defined either capital or lowercase, because if you're dealing with an a and an A, then you don't want your answer to be in terms of a if it should be in terms of A. I was trying to say that outside of mathematics, the capitals or lowercases rarely matter.

I understand the part about the service providers, though. I was just trying to make a fancy description :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

Brace yourself

Edited by BingoFishy
fixed link

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

The problem is the standard has changed over the years and even GB/s is wrong now. 30 years ago we didn't use bits at all, they were obviously part of how we described bytes but they weren't a relevant measure since the days of really minimal computer hardware so everything was in byte/s, KB/s, MB/s.

Then what happened was networking became mainstream and for some reason it came in 10 mega bits per second, it didn't make any sense but I assume it was done for marketing reasons rather than anything else. Of course ethernet then evolved and became 100 mbit/s and finally 1 gbit/s as standards and the die was set.

Then we had the whole hard drive mess where originally they were defined in Mega bytes and Giga bytes but some hard drive companies decided that they didn't like the measure and wanted to make their drives sound bigger, so instead of basing it on 2^x they based it on 10^x standard measures instead. Now hard drives for a given capacity were actually about 12% smaller than you original thought, so a 120GB drive isn't, its a 10^x measure not a 2^x measure. Worse still is SSDs did the same thing despite being based on transistors and clearly tied to the 2^x growth pattern.

So because of all this the standards bodies added GiB/s to make it clear which we were talking about, but almost nobody knows what that means at all. But because all the respective advertising agencies around the world haven't dealt with the companies that were clearly trying to mislead you now have at least 3 different measures of the same thing out there all trying to make their thing sound bigger and faster and mislead their customers. You can blame people for that if you like but its really not their fault, its all our governments fault for not stopping the companies who tried and succeeded in misleading everyone on purpose.

Because it's confusing as hell, that's why people get them mixed up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, BrightCandle said:

*snip*

Network speeds were ALWAYS calculated in bits/seconds, always!

I remember 14k, 28k and 56k modems, that was in kbps ... there was also the cheapernet, or 10base2 network, crappy but that's what they had at the time. Early computers basic unit was bits, not bytes.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I want to strangle the companies that misuse the fact that most people don't know the difference.