Fox ‘Stole’ a Game Clip, Used it in Family Guy & DMCA’d the Original

RZeroX

This week's episode of Family Guy included a clip from 1980s Nintendo video game Double Dribble showing a glitch to get a free 3-point goal. Fox obtained the clip from YouTube where it had been sitting since it was first uploaded in 2009. Shortly after, Fox told YouTube the game footage infringed its copyrights. YouTube took it down.

Just when you think you’ve seen every ridiculous example of a bogus DMCA-style takedown, another steps up to take the crown. This week’s abomination comes courtesy of Fox and it’s an absolute disaster.

In last Sunday’s episode of Family Guy titled “Run, Chris, Run“, Peter and Cleveland play the 1980s classic Nintendo video game Double Dribble. Peter doesn’t play fair though and exploits a glitch in the game that allows his player to shoot a three-point goal every time. The clip is available on YouTube.

Perhaps surprisingly the game glitch is absolutely genuine and was documented in a video that was uploaded to YouTube by a user called ‘sw1tched’ back in February 2009.

“This is an automatic shot my brothers and I found on the NES Double Dribble back in the 80’s when it was released. I know others know this also, but as long as you release at the right point it is automatic. The half court shot I took at the end goes in 80% of the time, but i didn’t want to keep recording….HAHA,” sw1tched wrote.

Interestingly the clip that was uploaded by sw1tched was the exact same clip that appeared in the Family Guy episode on Sunday. So, unless Fox managed to duplicate the gameplay precisely, Fox must’ve taken the clip from YouTube.

Whether Fox can do that and legally show the clip in an episode is a matter for the experts to argue but what followed next was patently absurd. Shortly after the Family Guy episode aired, Fox filed a complaint with YouTube and took down the Double Dribble video game clip on copyright grounds. (mirror Daily Motion)

FOX stole a gaming clip, used it in The Family Guy and then issued a DMCA takedown on the original YouTube video

https://torrentfreak.com/fox-stole-a-game-clip-used-it-in-family-guy-dmcad-the-original-160520/

Well of course, you can't have pesky content creators actually getting paid by the big guys, that's not how it's supposed to work. /s

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I would love if people do the same thing to Fox - just to screw with them.

Step 1. Unload Family Guy, American Dad, etc. clips to YouTube.

Step 2. Once uploaded, file take down claims against Fox's channels.

Step 3. Continue steps 1 & 2

Probably wont effect them much but it will annoy their digital media team >:)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

5 minutes ago, gFrenken97 said:

I wanna say screw those fuckers but I kinda like watching Family Guy...

Pirate it. It's a small way to stick it to them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Any sane person would avoid Fox Media content at all costs.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Talk about a scumbag move by Fox. It takes one kind of asshole to steal someone's work, but an entirely different kind to turn around and call the people that you've stolen from a thief.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

You hear about this cause it's Fox but this is an everyday occurance: want to censor criticism? Claim them. Want to troll someone you don't like? Claim them. 

This will ultimately drive all decent content away from YouTube and they are too motherfucking stupid to reverse it in time. Fuck Amazon it's already breathing down their neck and they DO have the reach and bandwidth to seriously compete. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, GeekJump said:

And then watch as Fox's legal team of premiere assholes get said uploader thrown in jail for "copyright fraud".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Unfortunately then they would just get penalized for making false DMCA claims because that part is only allowed to be ignored by big corporations....

Seems like the original clip is back up now. Still, though, that was a rather shitty move by Fox.

and this clip in the original post is not taken down by DMCA?

also why was the clip included in the family guy, wasn't the family guy supposed to be comedy - i mean like funny? that wasn't funny...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

first they take down Firefly... then they take down Futurama, Sara Connor Chronicles come shortly after, now they're after YouTube...

well at least the X-Men are still decent...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

first they take down Firefly... then they take down Futurama, Sara Connor Chronicles come shortly after, now they're after YouTube...

To be fair, Sarah Conner had become this PG pathetic lamo. She was such a badass character in Terminator 2. In the SCC she was just weak as hell. It was going nowhere fast.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That takes stealing to a new level. I never thought Fox could stoop lower. They keep proving me wrong though.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

11 minutes ago, Notional said:

To be fair, Sarah Conner had become this PG pathetic lamo. She was such a badass character in Terminator 2. In the SCC she was just weak as hell. It was going nowhere fast.

I don't agree on the subject that SCC portrayed Sara as a weak character...

20 minutes ago, DXMember said:

Well to be fair, Google is a larger company compared to 21st Century Fox... a LOT larger. ($75bn USD vs $30bn USD Revenue for FY2015)

So in the end, I really don't think YouTube has to worry about Fox trying to push them around. The real issue is YouTube's DMCA takedown system.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well to be fair, Google is a larger company compared to 21st Century Fox... a LOT larger. ($75bn USD vs $30bn USD Revenue for FY2015)

So in the end, I really don't think YouTube has to worry about Fox trying to push them around. The real issue is YouTube's DMCA takedown system.

Fox is the root of all sorrow

they cancel all the shows that bring joy and happiness into our lives

and that's partly why I'm so grumpy from time to time...

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

And then watch as Fox's legal team of premiere assholes get said uploader thrown in jail for "copyright fraud".

It would still be useful though: it would show Youtube's a biased piece of fucking shit since by their own rules, I can claim Fox's video and I have up to a fucking week to respond to their counter claim before anything happens or youtube intervenes at all. And for smaller channels, we've seen it time and time again almost endlessly now: They get claimed by a troll and they just leave the strike on the channel for the full week they're entitled to and then at the last possible moment rescind the claim.

I bet you that if if was someone claiming a Fox video or putting a strike on them, that shit would be solved within fucking minutes in favor of Fox, henceforth showing that Youtube are nothing buy hypocritical backstabbers that have nothing but contempt for both their audience and their main content creator partners.

-------

Current Rig

-------