How do You feel about the GTX1080's performance Now that the Benchmarks are officially out

Post Your opinions down below,

For me personally , i think it was generically too overhyped for a GPU on a desktop grade performance level , around 20fps bump was expected from me & pretty much that's the case from earlier flagship, but given that this is the first wave & it beats a flagship of last gen on that at the same price, it was pretty neat, i'm pretty much hopeful for the higher grade ones that haven't been announced yet is going to be great, but overall i think it was a tad bit over-pushed to marketing hype.. Post what you think on the general performance vs your expectations down below!

Details separate people.

Uhm.... how do I put this politely...?

MRW watching the benchmark videos:

hnng_.png

It may get messy once the non-reference cards start dropping (my panties).....

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

It performs damn awful for 789€. Especially when we know this is not top of the line gpu. I expect huge price drop after the ti version will come out.

Yes, I know they can put whatever price they want since it is the most powerful GPU currently.

The marketing hype may have overstated things a bit, but we all should have assumed that from the start. It's marketing. If you were disappointed by it this time, remember that for next time.

The actual results are still impressive. Comparing one x80 card to the previous, this is the biggest jump in performance we've seen in a very long time. The GTX 1080 is around 70% faster than the GTX 980, and at least double the performance of a 970. For a sense of scale, the improvement from the GTX 580 to the GTX 780 was something like 80%.

It's solid, but aside from actual double precision performance it really just strikes me as slightly better maxwell.  I would honestly expect a huge node shrink to result in a large jump over the 980, and the much better memory bandwidth is responsible for the 4K performance being so much better than the 980.  (Which has traditionally been outperformed by AMD's cards for the same reason.)  

I'm more interested in Polaris.  I want to see what kind of performance we'll see out of a much smaller die.  Are we going to see 980/Fury performance in the $200-300 range?  I think that'd be a much bigger deal than even the 1070.  98% of gamers are still on 1080p, and for them it makes far more sense to pick up a $250 card that will run it perfectly than to spend 50% or 100% more on a card that won't benefit their gaming experience.

As it is now, if you actually compare the 1080 to the 980Ti it's really not a big leap. I don't know if Nvidia has plans for a bigger pascal chip, so unless they do this really should be the point of comparison.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Waiting for the 1040, planning to do a build in a pencil canister.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

slightly less then i expected seeing as i tried to sell my 970 the second they were announced but i still think this is an awesome step and i cant wait for the 1070, if thats better then a Titan X as they claim that will be just awesome

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not really impressed tbh , but that wattage compared to 2 980 ! 

I will wait for AMD and the 1080TI to drop before i sink in my money .

4 minutes ago, Techno-Kitty said:

Not really impressed tbh , but that wattage compared to 2 980 !

I'm very curious to see the benchmarks you're looking at.

If someone had told me the GTX 1080 was 70% faster than a GTX 980 a few days ago, I'd have run them out of town with a torch and pitchfork.

It is exactly what I expected. Everyone thinking this was going to be some big crazy leap really doesn't understand marketing or business for that matter. There is no real incentive for Nvidia as a company to make such a large leap in performance. It is a much better business decision to milk gradual performance gains. That said, the real shining star is the power consumption of the new cards.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

it sucks its just like a 980ti with an oc. a proper size die gpu will be impressive. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

3 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'm very curious to see the benchmarks you're looking at.

If someone had told me the GTX 1080 was 70% faster than a GTX 980 a few days ago, I'd have run them out of town with a torch and pitchfork.

I am looking at LTT benchmark 

252w vs 345w pretty impressive considering its trading blows with each other .

Waiting to see 2 1080 benchmarks with the new bridge .

4 minutes ago, Techno-Kitty said:

I am looking at LTT benchmark 

252w vs 345w pretty impressive considering its trading blows with each other .

Waiting to see 2 1080 benchmarks with the new bridge .

I'm talking about performance, though. You said you weren't really impressed. The LTT benchmarks had the GTX 1080 coming within a few frames per second of two GTX 980's in SLI in most games. What does it take to impress you, if not a 70%+ improvement with a single generational improvement? :P

The 1080 is a good card, but it sure as hell isn't 7 700 (940USD) Norwegian. Which is 1 200 more expensive than the 980Ti from MSI.

Keeping in mind that HBM2 is coming around new year, it's an absurd amount of money to spend on a card that cost almost 20% more than the 980Ti while only giving 20-30% more performance.

Don't get me wrong. It's impressive for a 314mm^2 chip to outperform the 602mm^2 Maxwell chip. But in the end, the important bit is how many frames does it produce and how does it cost.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

3 hours ago, typographie said:

The marketing hype may have overstated things a bit, but we all should have assumed that from the start. It's marketing. If you were disappointed by it this time, remember that for next time.

The actual results are still impressive. Comparing one x80 card to the previous, this is the biggest jump in performance we've seen in a very long time. The GTX 1080 is around 70% faster than the GTX 980, and at least double the performance of a 970. For a sense of scale, the improvement from the GTX 580 to the GTX 780 was something like 80%.

To add, at this stage in the game, we're comparing a lot of different games with a driver in its infancy stages.  Don't get me wrong, I love my 980 Tis, but their going to be replaced by a couple of 1080s.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'm talking about performance, though. You said you weren't really impressed. The LTT benchmarks had the GTX 1080 coming within a few frames per second of two GTX 980's in SLI in most games. What does it take to impress you? :P

Call me demanding and unrealistic , on its own compared to the 2 980 its really impressive , well done ! 

But i was hoping for a single card solution for 4k , sure u can run 4k with a 980ti or a 980 for that matter but at mid to low settings , i was hoping to max out 4k at 60fps, seeing how Nvidia hype out this new chip architecture .

I will have to hold up to see what AMD has or the 1080Ti 

Exactly what I expected it to be. Wonder how powerful the 1080ti will be since the new xx80 card beats last years titan just like the 980 beat the 700 series titan.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Looks like benchmarks were able to verify Nvidia's claim.

Nvidia displayed 2ghz OC.  Haters said impossible.  Today we see it can reach 2.5ghz.

Nvidia took a $1,200 gpu (Titan X) and released another gpu with performance that surpasses it for literally 1/2 the cost.

That's like BMW making another car that beats their M5 for 1/2 the cost.  Yeah... small accomplishment.  LOL!

I'm impressed.

BUT I wonder how much cherry picking Nvidia did when handing out review samples.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Power efficiency ?

When did that become important to High-Hardcore-PCMasterRace-Enthusiast-Gamers ?

Thats only for people with low power supplies waiting for the GTX1060 to replace their GTX970

I'm pretty impressed but I'm more interested in the 1070 for myself