How do You feel about the GTX1080's performance Now that the Benchmarks are officially out

As we've seen repeated over and over, there will be no massive price drop on Maxwell, It will just be phased out. Just like the 780 was when the 980 came out, just like the 680 was when the 780 came out. By the time board partners fill the market with all their different variations, Maxwell will be scarce if not gone.  I also don't recall anyone claiming it would have any crazy price to performance ratio. It's MSRP is right on target for a card of this class. 780's launch MSRP was $649 with no 'Founder's Edition'. 980's launch MSRP was $549 with no "Founder's Edition". The 1080 being somewhere in between for a card that smacks the Titan X around and you're whining? Not to mention, MSRP; 'Suggested" retail price. I guarantee by the holidays there will be cards in the lower $500 range, like there's always been. 

22 hours ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Post Your opinions down below,

For me personally , i think it was generically too overhyped for a GPU on a desktop grade performance level , around 20fps bump was expected from me & pretty much that's the case from earlier flagship, but given that this is the first wave & it beats a flagship of last gen on that at the same price, it was pretty neat, i'm pretty much hopeful for the higher grade ones that haven't been announced yet is going to be great, but overall i think it was a tad bit over-pushed to marketing hype.. Post what you think on the general performance vs your expectations down below!

I agree, that it's quite overhyped, but that's what marketing is suppose to do.  It's still quite an amazing product by NVidida.

23 minutes ago, Lotus said:

I'm simply pointing out it's not living up to the hype and doesn't have insane price to performance that everyone claimed it was going to have compared to current cards. It's just comparable to the 980ti, the current high-end card, not better.

I'll just say at the start that I have no idea what "insane" price to performance ratio everyone claimed it would have before the benchmarks became available. I didn't see those claims. If the claims were far in excess of the reality, then so be it. Contempt and scorn away.

However, the real price to performance ratio has been looked at in at least a few of the reviews. In terms of FPS per dollar, the GTX 1080 beats just about everything out there, by a substantial margin. The Founder's Edition is behind that, but still significantly ahead of everything else. I don't know if you consider these numbers to be "insane," but they're a hell of a lot better than I would have guessed.

perfdollar-4k.png

Source + more graphics and analysis

1 hour ago, JamGorby said:

When a 34% increase in GTAV, 31% in Battlefield Hardline, and 29% in Whitcher 3 is 'around 20%'. Because who needs to actually do the math when you can make baseless assertions while comparing apples to oranges? 

Also, as for the Founder's edition being $700, I have a plan. Don't buy it. So it will be the only one available at launch? Well, I just so happen to have another wacky idea.....wait. 

You should put some Neosporin on those hands. They're all scraped up from the straw grasping. :D 

Is there any source saying that at release only founders edition will be avaliable?

If I understood all reviews and youtube videos right, on 27th May all 1080 cards can be released. Including from EVGA, ASUS and others.

But I might be wrong.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

17 hours ago, JamGorby said:

"Let's incorrectly compare the GTX1080 to the 980ti and Titan X and cry about a mere 20-25% performance increase. Forget about the card it was meant to replace and the huge performance gap between those two. I would rather compare apples to oranges because I enjoy being disappointing." - this thread

That is 100% true until you realise that the 1080 is going to be sold at $50 more than the 980ti launched at.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

5 minutes ago, Carclis said:

That is 100% true until you realise that the 1080 is going to be sold at $50 more than the 980ti launched at.

Launch price of 980ti was $699. MSRP of 1080 is $599. Math, it's a thing.

8 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Is there any source saying that at release only founders edition will be avaliable?

If I understood all reviews and youtube videos right, on 27th May all 1080 cards can be released. Including from EVGA, ASUS and others.

But I might be wrong.

Not that I know of. There very well could be board partner cards at launch. 

27 minutes ago, typographie said:

I'll just say at the start that I have no idea what "insane" price to performance ratio everyone claimed it would have before the benchmarks became available. I didn't see those claims. If the claims were far in excess of the reality, then so be it. Contempt and scorn away.

However, the real price to performance ratio has been looked at in at least a few of the reviews. In terms of FPS per dollar, the GTX 1080 beats just about everything out there, by a substantial margin. The Founder's Edition is behind that, but still significantly ahead of everything else. I don't know if you consider these numbers to be "insane," but they're a hell of a lot better than I would have guessed.

perfdollar-4k.png

Source + more graphics and analysis

Never mind maths and such. Why engage in the silly pursuit of actual evidence when you can make an emotional argument and create excuses to be upset? lol

2 minutes ago, JamGorby said:

I was under the impression that the 980ti launched at $650. In that cause it will be launching at the same price as a 980ti which changes nothing. Nvidia are selling the card for $700 and claiming the rrp will be $600. What AiB partner is going to sell their custom cooled designs at a cheaper price than a lousy reference card? I could be wrong here but it sounds like a ploy by Nvidia so that people overlook the price.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

3 minutes ago, Carclis said:

What AiB partner is going to sell their custom cooled designs at a cheaper price than a lousy reference card? I could be wrong here but it sounds like a ploy by Nvidia so that people overlook the price.

The same ones that did last time, and the time before that.....and the time before that. 

It's kinda the reason why AiB's exist....you know...to compete with each other. 

And, the MSRP of $599....still not "$50 more than 980ti at launch". 

Your arguments are invalid.

On 5/17/2016 at 2:01 PM, rrubberr said:

Kind of cute what Nvidia did with marketing, really very honest. You would be better off just buying a pair of 980ti's for $250 and over clocking them a tad.

On 5/17/2016 at 2:31 PM, done12many2 said:

Used 980 Ti prices have fallen a good bit, but you're going to be waiting a good while before you pick up a pair of 980 Tis for $250.  

22 hours ago, rrubberr said:

Sorry, $250-280 piece is what I meant.

Oh my! The amount of sense here! Carful, you might piss someone off.

May initial statement still stands.  You'll be waiting a long time to pick up a used pair or single card for $250.  How soon do you anticipate this price drop to happen? 

42 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

How soon do you anticipate this price drop to happen? 

Late next year, on Ebay. lol

3 hours ago, JamGorby said:

Late next year, on Ebay. lol

In the free world you're allowed to make up whatever silly facts that you want as long as it makes your point look better.  :D

3 hours ago, JamGorby said:

Well.. assuming we're talking about U.S. currency, the launch MSRP of the 980 Ti was actually $649. The GTX 1080 Founder's Edition is indeed $50 more. There may have been some third-party cards that were charging a bit more, but if so they weren't base models.

Here's a couple of 980 Ti reviews from last May that mentioned launch pricing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

But I honestly don't put much stock in the Founder's Edition. I think it's a scheme to get a couple of high-margin purchases out of early adopters for very little investment from Nvidia. I think if the $599 version shows up as they say, the Founders Edition is going to be quickly forgotten by most who would rather have a cheaper EVGA or Gigabyte version.

30 minutes ago, typographie said:

Well.. assuming we're talking about U.S. currency, the launch MSRP of the 980 Ti was actually $649. The GTX 1080 Founder's Edition is indeed $50 more. There may have been some third-party cards that were charging a bit more, but if so they weren't base models.

Here's a couple of 980 Ti reviews from last May that mentioned launch pricing:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

But I honestly don't put much stock in the Founder's Edition. I think it's a scheme to get a couple of high-margin purchases out of early adopters for very little investment from Nvidia. I think if the $599 version shows up as they say, the Founders Edition is going to be quickly forgotten by most who would rather have a cheaper EVGA or Gigabyte version.

I was trying to find the source where I saw $699 and realized it was WCCFtech so eww. I'll concede to $649. 

However, I also agree the Founder's Edition should be ignored when talking about launch price considering all previous launch prices were MSRP.

8 hours ago, Malaki Titi said:

So what were you trying to say?

Stop using a cryptic tongue in hopes of not being accountable for what you're saying.

Try again.

I'm talking about NV cherry picking the best possible samples to send out to reviewers.  You are talking about quality control.  These are completely unrelated.  There is nothing cryptic about it.  Reading comprehension fail.

Elaborating on my point - it is often the case that launch day benchmarks are not representative of real world performance, particularly with respect to overclocking potential.  NV is guilty of cherry picking review sample cards in the past.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

3 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

I'm talking about NV cherry picking the best possible samples to send out to reviewers.  You are talking about quality control.  These are completely unrelated.  There is nothing cryptic about it.  Reading comprehension fail.

Elaborating on my point - it is often the case that launch day benchmarks are not representative of real world performance, particularly with respect to overclocking potential.  NV is guilty of cherry picking review sample cards in the past.  

You talk as if this practice is specific to Nvidia.  I'd do the exact same thing if I was launching a product.

5 hours ago, typographie said:

*snip*

Obviously the new card that is priced around the same MSRP as other older cards but performs better is going to have a better FPS/Dollar.  A flagship GPU is not going to maintain that kind of price/perf ratio once polaris, vega or even the GTX 1070 hit the market.  Hell, once the old cards get price cuts they will leap frog past the 1080 really quick.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

22 hours ago, JamGorby said:

"Let's incorrectly compare the GTX1080 to the 980ti and Titan X and cry about a mere 20-25% performance increase. Forget about the card it was meant to replace and the huge performance gap between those two. I would rather compare apples to oranges because I enjoy being disappointing." - this thread

Nvidia could have called it the 1060 for all I care.  The 1080 is $200 more expensive than buying a 980 today.  It damn well better perform 50% better when it costs 30% more and is a large node shrink.  

The consumer does not give a fuck about generational leaps.  Process shrink quite frankly should result in this sort of performance leap, if it doesn't then they fucked up.  The consumer gives a fuck about "Hey I just bought a 980Ti for $700 should I sell it and get the 1080 for $700" and the answer to that question is a resounding no.  

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

On 5/17/2016 at 7:45 PM, WereCat said:

It performs damn awful for 789€. Especially when we know this is not top of the line gpu. I expect huge price drop after the ti version will come out.

Yes, I know they can put whatever price they want since it is the most powerful GPU currently.

My thought exactly, Nvidia milking all they can until they reveal the true big GPU later on.

Just think, the GPU DIE is smaller than 980 and yet cost way more....

Of course, its somehow fair for nvidia to charge more, but 789€?

So the people who are bitching are the ones who cannot afford such a card. I don't bitch because I cannot afford a Lamborghini or a 50,000 sq. ft. house. I buy within my means. There's plenty of price brackets for everyone. AMD is said to address this for people looking for p/p ratio. Which is good. nVidia chose a different sector which is their every right.

And for people saying this card "sucks," or the performance isn't "that great;" if the GTX 1080 launched at $349, would you be singing a different tune? Of course you would. And ya'll would be buying one day 1, guaranteed.

Flagship prices ask for flagship costs. nVidia is a business, to make a profit. They're not a charity or to be nice. Millions of R&D have to be recouped in some way. Unfortunate? For consumers, but I understand why they have to do it.

jmo

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

16 hours ago, Techno-Kitty said:

Well great on you guys , i am rocking on a single 770 2gb so yea time for me to jump to a better build with a better card , thats why i am on a fence here, wait for a 1080ti or screw it and go for 2 1080.

Same for me... but I'm a 980 owner ;P.... so I'm holding off since it's still running adequately... :)

9 hours ago, Lotus said:

I'm not impressed. It's faster than the 980ti by around 20%, It's also around 20% more expensive than the 980ti ($700 vs $570). It still doesn't have hardware support for async compute. I get that it's going to be the fastest card, but $700 for a reference card is insane. NVidia really did manage to hype this card up a lot, and there certainly are many people expecting it to actually cost $600 at launch (it wont). Overall, I think it's just a standard progression. No big news, no big changes, just the same old architecture with more cuda cores thrown in thanks to the die shrink. It's a disappointment in my opinion, and I don't see the card having much longevity thanks to DX12.

It's not really aimed at the 980Ti replacement, but the 980... and for that it's very impressive... you can wait for the 1080Ti to make up your mind. Being faster by any % than a 980Ti or Titan X is just bonus. It does perform a lot better than Maxwell in DX12.

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

10 hours ago, JamGorby said:

The same ones that did last time, and the time before that.....and the time before that. 

It's kinda the reason why AiB's exist....you know...to compete with each other. 

And, the MSRP of $599....still not "$50 more than 980ti at launch". 

Your arguments are invalid.

I'm not arguing, just wondering why you think that the 1080 will be $600 at launch. It's not a typical card launch here because Nvidia are not selling at or even close to MSRP. One has to question their motives when other reference cards will be available at launch. I mean, why even release a reference card if it's not going to sell?

Assuming the AiB parters also release reference cards I would expect them all to be at the same price. Sure, one AiB partner could drop their reference card price to $680 but then you would have them all do the same thing to compete. End result is they are back at square one, except they have hurt their own profits. 

The custom cards  I would expect to cost $20-30 more for because they include a better cooling solution and sometimes a redesigned pcb and are for all intents and purposes, strictly better than the reference card.

Again, just my opinion.

Well.... I'm curious to see what the 1070 benchmarks because the specs are a huge letdown.

No GDDR5X... ugg....   Far less CUDA cores... cut down more so than usual.

Oh well...  I guess a 980Ti used would be better than the 1070 now.

Who knows.

If you want 4K and NEED 4K... wait for the true 1080 Ti or new Titan. Even then... will it be 60fps... who knows? There is no way to know until we now.