How do You feel about the GTX1080's performance Now that the Benchmarks are officially out

14 hours ago, JamGorby said:

However, I also agree the Founder's Edition should be ignored when talking about launch price considering all previous launch prices were MSRP.

I don't think the Founder's Edition can be ignored completely when it's apparently the only one available at launch. I don't take issue with those considering the GTX 1080 a $699 card for the time being (especially since it still holds up from a price/performance perspective at $699), I just think the Founder's Edition is going to rapidly fade into irrelevance as soon as basically anything else becomes available.

3 hours ago, typographie said:

Ack, a third repost? :S

I've been having some issues with this the last couple days.

15 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You talk as if this practice is specific to Nvidia.  I'd do the exact same thing if I was launching a product.

Oh totally, I'd do the same as well.  Not saying it's bad, I'm only wondering to what extent it is affecting benchmarks.  I'll probably still buy a 1080.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

22 hours ago, Carclis said:

I'm not arguing, just wondering why you think that the 1080 will be $600 at launch. It's not a typical card launch here because Nvidia are not selling at or even close to MSRP. One has to question their motives when other reference cards will be available at launch. I mean, why even release a reference card if it's not going to sell?

Assuming the AiB parters also release reference cards I would expect them all to be at the same price. Sure, one AiB partner could drop their reference card price to $680 but then you would have them all do the same thing to compete. End result is they are back at square one, except they have hurt their own profits. 

The custom cards  I would expect to cost $20-30 more for because they include a better cooling solution and sometimes a redesigned pcb and are for all intents and purposes, strictly better than the reference card.

Again, just my opinion.

You're overlooking the MSRP of $599. nVidia can't just let a cat like that out of the bag without customers then having expectations. If there isn't any AiB cards released at that price point, there will be a shit storms. I doubt they'd want to weather that storm. 

I think the Founder's Edition is nVidia becoming intoxicated on the smell of their own farts. I think they want it to be some sort of prestigious sku and believe that it will cater to the types of customers willing to pay for a name. While consumers like that certainly exist, I'm betting they'll find this to be a failed experiment, monetarily speaking, because most consumers have a little more common sense than that. I would go as far to say that sku's like Classified, Kingpin, ROG, etc. hold more prestige than nVidia's name on a card alone anyway.  

Founder's Editions hit their POWER and THERMAL throttle after 20 minutes, lol.

Just watched the video of a guy who water cooled it using the 980 Ti hybrid.

His tests concluded OCing the card made almost no difference compared to stock speeds in real gaming tests. The only thing that was shocking was the stock card throttling back to stock speeds after 10 minutes and after 20 it was all over the place. He said it would make gaming a nightmare...??? LOL Granted he was not using 100% fan curve, but who wants that jet engine on 100% just to maintain the advertised clock boost? ROTFL Not me.

Certainly not for $100 over MSRP either.  Holy fail.