Lichdom: Battlemage has made it to the consoles..Sub 20 fps, Oh dear! *Update: Fixed*

Lichdom Battlemage has been on the PC since 2014. It's made on CryEngine 3 and encorporates the second generation of AMD's TressFX (the first version to introduce the master/slave hair strand principle, that made TressFX so efficient in Rise of the Tomb Raider (third generation)).

Lichdom_Battlemage_cover_art.jpg

In the game you play as a mage, who can create their own spells, attacks etc. in first person.

Well it has now been launched for PS4 and XBox One, and the results are insane. Playstation 4 never reaches 30fps and will mostly run sub 20 frames. Yes you read that right, SUB 20 FPS. XBone is even worse, with glaring screen tearing in every single scene.

There's no beating around the bush here - Lichdom is a game that rarely manages to deliver a frame-rate north of twenty frames per second. In fact, the PlayStation 4 clocks up an average frame-rate of just 15fps across the run of play, with dips as low as 10fps. On top of that, frame-time latencies can be astonishingly high with some remarkable stutter. We've run the rule over a multitude of titles since we started frame-rate testing console games back in 2008 - and we're pretty sure we've never seen anything quite as bad as this.

Despite this pathetic performance, at least the game has fast level loading. It only takes more than 2 minutes, but at least you won't need to reload the entire level when dying.

WARNING: Watching this video might cause simulation sickness due to very low frame rates.

My take on this:

I cannot fathom how Sony or Microsoft could sign off on this release. The performance is unacceptable. This was originally a game made with the help of AMD to test out the second generation of TressFX, and was a fairly interesting take on a magic genre with customizable magic powers. However this console version should never have been released.

I wonder if there is a problem with CryEngine 3, producing complex/nice looking graphics on consoles, or where the massive bottleneck is on this release. All I know is that I feel queezy from simulation sickness after watching this youtube video in full screen. UGH!.

*Update*

The devs seems to have fixed the horribly low FPS as mentioned here.

Higher FPS, lower loading pauses (still high), this patch seems to actually make the game playable. The XBone version is the best, as the PS4 version has unlocked FPS, causing hitches and what not. Maybe it will be fixed in a later patch still?

Sources:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-lichdom-battlemage-is-the-worst-performing-game-weve-tested

TressFX gen 2: http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentralAMD/tress-fx-the-fast-and-the-furry-nicolas-thibieroz

Game:http://store.steampowered.com/app/261760/

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Metal Gear Solid on the 3DS also had horrendous framerate, dipping into single digits at times.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't think Sony or Microsoft sign off releases for their consoles. Though its pretty amazing that we get a Batman AK scenario for the consoles. And people are saying that optimizing for one set of hardware is easy. I think what literally happened is that they took the game, toned down the settings and literally just released it as is with not much work done (or maybe its 20fps locked or something because 'cinematic'). I suspect more optimization problems like these will appear with the PS4.5/K due to the compatibility.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

My take on this:

I cannot fathom how Sony or Microsoft could sign off on this release. The performance is unacceptable. This was originally a game made with the help of AMD to test out the second generation of TressFX, and was a fairly interesting take on a magic genre with customizable magic powers. However this console version should never have been released.

One of the game that use AMD's TrueAudio as well, one of 2 games. :ph34r:

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Well that proves it... Console cannot run PC games. Lol. I think it is pretty obvious what happened here, the dev's decided to lower the res on the textures in the game then port over to the consoles. Hahaha. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 hour ago, Snadzies said:

Naw, man.

The human eye can't even tell the difference between 15 and 60fps anyway.

More like 10 and 60 (since It drops to 10).

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

i don't understand where is the problem. feels like watching a movie 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/all-stars-6-bundle

£2.29 with nine other games for PC, that should run at a decent frame rate depending on your PC.

£38 on shitbox and psbore, running at sub 20fps....

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

4 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

I don't think Sony or Microsoft sign off releases for their consoles. Though its pretty amazing that we get a Batman AK scenario for the consoles. And people are saying that optimizing for one set of hardware is easy. I think what literally happened is that they took the game, toned down the settings and literally just released it as is with not much work done (or maybe its 20fps locked or something because 'cinematic'). I suspect more optimization problems like these will appear with the PS4.5/K due to the compatibility.

I thought they had to? Sony apparently demands that games support the new Neo fully, if they want their games released. But who knows. Either way this game should not have been released in that state. They could have just made it 720p or something, and most issues would have been solved.

3 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Well that proves it... Console cannot run PC games. Lol. I think it is pretty obvious what happened here, the dev's decided to lower the res on the textures in the game then port over to the consoles. Hahaha. 

Probably. It's a small unknown dev. They probably did not have the ressources or skills to optimize the Cryengine 3 or their game properly for the consoles.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Notional said:

Probably. It's a small unknown dev. They probably did not have the ressources or skills to optimize the Cryengine 3 or their game properly for the consoles.

Yeah, that is the problem with consoles. If Sony and Microsoft would just put actual real hardware in their systems dev's wouldn't be stressed with the task of shitting on their game so consoles can play. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Eventually you'll get just a booklet for you to flip through it to simulate motion. 

#StillBetterThanArkhamKnight.

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

So I guess we can call this "Ultra-cinematic"?

It's artistic slowmotion like 300 xD

So friggin fabulous. Woah, that game looks a lot like Skyrim anyways lol. Even ENB heavily modified Skyrim runs better...

Groomlake Authority

4 hours ago, dragosudeki said:

Actually I'm pretty sure they do at least to get the game past the DRM which would be otherwise impossible. 

Now I can expect a free for all, no curator system like Steam to get these turds in the store but Microsoft and Sony put their name on the game cases and such I'd expect bare minimum of a standard not this. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

It's artistic slowmotion like 300 xD

All they need to do is crank up the motion blur!

Although I assume it's already at 100% since this is a console game.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh sweet Jesus thats horrendous. I can see a whole suite of patches coming to "fix" this... and by fix I mean mess with the settings. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

It's so sad... can this crap stop and shitty ports along with it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's so sad... can this crap stop and shitty ports along with it.

Welcome to the Unity generation of games.

No, I don't mean that this game was made with Unity (it was clearly made with CryENGINE).  What I refer to is the generation of game developers where you can take a very inexperienced programmer, if any at all, and jam and mash scripts together to output "indie games".  Sure, this may work for a 3-sprite game consisting of pixels.  But when it is time to develop something that rivals what Crysis 1 did in the year it was released, you can no longer mash together a bunch of C# scripts downloaded from various posts in the Unity forums without any programming knowledge.

That game is made by Xaviant, a small studio on the east coast USA. They have a second game, The Culling - it is in early access right now and it got a decent amount of people playing it. So expect them to focus hard on that game instead. Nobody will care about a port for a pretty old (but great) game from PC.