Rumor – PS4.5 GPU 2X As Powerful & CPU Discussed; God Of War 4 & Deep Down Among Launch Titles

Mr_Troll

Rumor – PS4.5 GPU 2X As Powerful & CPU Discussed; God Of War 4 & Deep Down Among Launch Titles

If some new PS4.5 rumors are to be believed, Sony’s PlayStation 4.5 (or PS4K as some are calling it) will have a GPU that is twice as powerful as the current PS4 GPU. Additionally, a new CPU is allegedly being discussed.

PS4

The rumors come from Neogaf user OsirisBlack, who states that the additional info comes from a meeting he attended. His post on the GAF forums was verified by Neogaf’s head moderator Bish before being approved. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the rumor is legit, but it does mean that OsirisBlack is considered as someone who could actually have access to the information provided.

GPU

During the meeting, it was stated that the GPU for the PS4.5 will be twice as powerful as the current PS4 GPU. The new GPU is said to be much faster, but a precise speed number wasn’t shared. They did confirm a higher clock speed, while being much smaller than the original PS4 GPU.

Blu-ray & 4K

The PS4.5 is said to have a 4K Blu-ray player, and will upscale games that are not natively running at 4K resolution

Game performance & dev kits

As reported earlier, games developed specifically for the PS4.5 will work on the ‘original’ PS4, but with “considerable sacrifices made to performance”. At the moment of writing, some developers already have their hands on development kits for the ‘new’ console. Games in development will make direct use of the increased horsepower.

Current PS4 titles will be playable on the PS4.5, but won’t benefit from the higher specs. “Any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer”, according to OsirisBlack. These patches are a possibility, but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games.

So what single gpu equivalent performs the same as  2x 7870? .. Fiji (R9 nano version) or Polaris? 

Source:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202462

http://wccftech.com/ps4-5-ps4k-gpu-2x-powerful-cpu-upgrade-discussed-god-of-war-4-deep-down-launch-games/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

NEW! PS4 4K. Slideshow edition.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

10 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

snip

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1076?vs=1068

Current PS4 = slightly downclocked 7850.

2x 7850 = OCd 280X / downclocked 290

Most likely?

1 Ghz full fledged R9 380X or something akin to that.

games developed specifically for the PS4.5 will work on the ‘original’ PS4, but with “considerable sacrifices made to performance”. At the moment of writing, some developers already have their hands on development kits for the ‘new’ console. Games in development will make direct use of the increased horsepower.

Shows that it is meant to take over the PS4. I really hope Sony doesn't call it PS4.5 or PS4K and just instead call it PS5. It sounds like a complete new generation, not a half step up from the current generation. Don't follow the messed up Xbox naming convention.

The PS4.5 is said to have a 4K Blu-ray player, and will upscale games that are not natively running at 4K resolution

It is not even true 4K due to the upscaling. I'm not sure if it is going to make the game any nicer if they do this.

And I'm still going to take this with a grain of salt, the PS 4.5 would be Sony shooting itself in the foot. Users would feel alienated. 

And, wasn't the whole point of getting a console is to get a device that will last you at least 4 years for a generation?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

18 minutes ago, Aytex said:

They say it will be 4k but 4k what 4k 10 fps?

It will be UPSCALED 4k, but for sure not native.

There isn't a single solution out there in a console form factor and +/-$400 price that could deliver a true 4k gaming experience. It just isn't possible.

4k TV adoption is rising, but still not a large segment of the TV owning market.

Why not wait another 2-3 years and develop a true 4k console and release it when the market is ready to take advantage of it.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

This makes no sense. Asides from market alienation and compatibility problems, how will power and thermals be handled? You cannot just magically have 2x GPU power like that.

From how I see it, signs still point to this being a "PS4 Slim", of sorts.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

9 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

This makes no sense. Asides from market alienation and compatibility problems, how will power and thermals be handled? You cannot just magically have 2x GPU power like that.

From how I see it, signs still point to this being a "PS4 Slim", of sorts.

It won't be that hard for them to cool a more powerful GPU, they have complete control of the form factor, just look at the Bulldog from corsair 

Also the PS4 has been out for a *considerable* amount of time, technology moves fast and expecting a console to deliver a good gaming experience for 6-8 years while costing $400 isn't sensible. 

This is why PC gaming is the superior choice right now, the silicon industry is moving too fast for consoles to keep up, and sadly games are generally locked to a certain version of the console, with PC you can simply make an upgrade and play the same game, maybe that's the direction consoles are moving in. HTPC sized gaming rigs with a proprietary OS and a controller

im looking forward to the day where I can buy a game at the store, put the disk in either a console or PC, it installs the textures, maps, and models from the disk and downloads all the executables and library's that are specific for the platform from a server and I can be on my way

Interested in seeing the specs for this. Will be keeping an eye out. A big plus is 4K BD taking off. Sony played their cards perfectly with PS3 and Blu-ray. I hope this is successful for Sony even if it only means 4K Blu-ray becoming a new standard and widely adopted.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1. console

2. rumor

3. neogaf

do i need to say more?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

54 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

And I'm still going to take this with a grain of salt, the PS 4.5 would be Sony shooting itself in the foot. Users would feel alienated. 

And, wasn't the whole point of getting a console is to get a device that will last you at least 4 years for a generation?

As long as games work on either console, and simply get 4k resolutions then i dont think anyone would feel alienated. Most people dont even have 4k tvs

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

30 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

im looking forward to the day where I can buy a game at the store, put the disk in either a console or PC, it installs the textures, maps, and models from the disk and downloads all the executables and library's that are specific for the platform from a server and I can be on my way

Thats... actually brilliant

sony+microsoft releasing new consoles every 3-4 years confirmed? Since they now use x86 based systems, wouldn't it allow for better backwards compatibility for all the consoles that superceeds the xbone and ps4 and the consoles after the new ones and the ones after those? They may as well make a console that allows you to upgrade components as you wish...oh wait...you may as well be building a pc xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

This is stupid, PS 4.5 is a stupid name

You put in a new CPU and GPU its a new generation, PS 5.

Honestly they should just make 2 versions of PS from now on, one at 400$ that plays 1080p 30/60fps, and one at 6-700$ that can play VR 90hz and 4K 30hz, with the only difference being the GPU inside 2-3 x more powerfull.

Whoever has money to buy VR and 4K TV should afford 6-700$ console.

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

As long as games work on either console, and simply get 4k resolutions then i dont think anyone would feel alienated. Most people dont even have 4k tvs

Judging by the source they would be "considerable sacrifices to performance", and I won't be surprised if we started getting "bad ports" for the  OG PS4.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Judging by the source they would be "considerable sacrifices to performance", and I won't be surprised if we started getting "bad ports" for the  OG PS4.

Optimist that I am, it could just mean that the ps4 will retain its current graphics fedility and that the 4k will just be THAT much better. Which is fine IMO. 

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

18 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

8 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Optimist that I am, it could just mean that the ps4 will retain its current graphics fedility and that the 4k will just be THAT much better. Which is fine IMO. 

As @Castdeath97 pointed out, games designed for 4K will supposedly have "considerable sacrifices to performance"... That sounds like if you put a "4.5" game into your PS4, it'll be gorgeous, but it'll run like absolute shit.

This news is retarded. The ONLY way this makes sense, is if this is a PS5, and we're looking at a brand new console generation.

If they honestly release a "4.5" and segment the console market like that? Well then, Sony is a lot more stupid then I thought.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

PS4 needs 4x HD7870 Crossfire to do 4K. Each HD7870 can do 1080p30.

And also 4x AMD athlon quad-core 5350 CPU's.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

They should really avoid the market confusion and call it the PS5... It would also make for a good marketing move: look, we have a new console but we listened to your feedback and it's now backwards compatible, yay!

3 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

Interested in seeing the specs for this. Will be keeping an eye out. A big plus is 4K BD taking off. Sony played their cards perfectly with PS3 and Blu-ray. I hope this is successful for Sony even if it only means 4K Blu-ray becoming a new standard and widely adopted.

as opposed to 4K-potatoeplate which has been all the rage as of late?

They're going to need to rethink the cooling if they want a decent GPU in there.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Deep Down? good lord, i remember that announcement from almost 3 years ago. 

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

Well, at this point, if the rumours are true, then what is the point of buying a console anymore? You still have to install the games, they are also plagued by day-one problems and now this... This would definitely be a strange move by Sony :/

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)