RTX3070ti idling at 72W, 52c, 0-1% usage

Setup:

MB: Gigabyte B660M DS3H Ddr4. 

CPU: Intel i5 12400.

GPU: INNO3D RTX 3070ti. 

Context that might be relevant: I did a bit of "spring cleaning" by removing unused apps, among them the Nvidia apps in their Control Center package by doing a clean install for the GPU drives. I also cleaned the case and did a bit of cable management. Afterwards I noticed the GPU temps are much higher than normal with no GPU usage at all when checking the task manager or other monitoring options. Now it's around 49-53c with power draw of 73W and fan constant at around 36%. Before I would get around 33-37c and usually the fans would be off. 

Maybe relevant: After I redownloaded only the Gigabyte control center to control the fans I noticed that even when choosing 'maximum power' the case fans will only go to about 40-50%. I left it alone since when I did a stress test or loaded a heavy game the fans did seems to go to the real maximum RPM and the game temps seems to be regular at around 72-78c on BF2042 in 2560x1440 170hz. 

Another issue is that I get mixed results in the readings. During GPU stress test I'll see on the GeForce performance overlay that the power usage goes up to around 300W but in the GPU Shark from FurMark I would see it stays at 73W while the percentage would go to 100%. 
Also, the memory clock in GeForce doesn't move from 9701Mhz with no change no matter if I'm idling or in stress test mode. The GPU clock is also stuck at 1830Mhz when idling but when in stress mode it would jump around 1785-1815Mhz.
Overall everything seems a bit random. I'm not knowledgeable in this area so I included whatever seems to be relevant in hope you'll recognize the issue. Thank you.

GeForceInfo.png

relatively easy solution that you might not like: uninstall the Gigabyte control thingy.

DDU your gpu drivers, reinstall them.

do *not* reinstall the Gigabyte control thing.

do *not* use the Nvidia overlay (ever)

use msi afterburner to control your temps etc.

1 hour ago, NetanelC said:

hope you'll recognize the issue.

yes, its a very common issue,  the solution is described above. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Having multiple OSD / Monitoring software in general can cause some pretty weird issues. I have seen it cause the CPU/GPU to never down clock to weird fan control problems. I second trying to get rid of all monitoring software and sticking to MSI afterburner.

12 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

DDU your gpu drivers, reinstall them.

Just found a solution to the power draw.. It was the Nvidia Control Panel and the power setting was set to High Performance. Now it's "Normal" and the power draw is at aruond 15W and the fans are back to 0 RPM. I hope it won't effect badly on gaming... 

Still have the issues with the Gigabyte control and fan control... Would it be enough to use Revo Uninstaller? I just used DDU yesterday and and I saw they recommend not to use it too much.. 

9 minutes ago, NetanelC said:

Just found a solution to the power draw.. It was the Nvidia Control Panel and the power setting was set to High Performance. Now it's "Normal" and the power draw is at aruond 15W and the fans are back to 0 RPM. I hope it won't effect badly on gaming... 

Still have the issues with the Gigabyte control and fan control... Would it be enough to use Revo Uninstaller? I just used DDU yesterday and and I saw they recommend not to use it too much.. 

Yeah generally "prefer max performance" just locks the clock speed. "Normal" should still ramp up to the same maximum but only when needed so you really should see the exact same performance. 

Uninstall the software normally then reboot and test if it still acts weird then use DDU. 

1 hour ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Yeah generally "prefer max performance" just locks the clock speed. "Normal" should still ramp up to the same maximum but only when needed so you really should see the exact same performance. 

Uninstall the software normally then reboot and test if it still acts weird then use DDU. 

Thanks a lot.

The uninstall worked fine. 

I tried MSI and the info seems to be correct but It feels like a plane cockpit. Too much stuff that I have no idea about. Thankfully I found something called Fan Control on GitHub. It's so much simpler and focused. JayzTwoCents made a tutorial for it so it was especially smooth sailing.