Upgrading my E3-1225 v2 to E3-1270 v2?

Lately, I felt my E3-1225 v2 would to struggle to do things on my pc (complete PC specs are on my signature): few freezes, and I don't know my CPU sort-of always gone onto 60-100% while only browsing (still idling good on 1-20% though). Yes, I am well aware this is an ancient CPU platform and I perhaps really should upgrade to more recent platform thing, but this is actually what I have for now and tbh, I don't really use my PC much lately. So, I eyed myself on the strongest CPU on the Ivy Bridge architecture that still uses my B75M motherboard: E3-1270 v2 or i7-3770k (which both nearly got the same spec and performance). Yet, 1270 v2 is half of the price of the 3770k.

I compared between the 1225 vs 1270 here (with the i5-8365U being my laptop processor), and seems the increase shown here is sort of nice. I found a 1270 v2 with USD 34.28, while maybe I could sell my old 1225 v2 in USD 15.

Yet... Does it worth it to upgrade from 4C/4T to 4C/8T? And, no, I don't plan to upgrade onto a newer platform yet (budget reasons, might as well to save for a $1000 PC lol), as this is still usable by me.

My daily use case is just for little game and work from home (which using AutoCAD 2022 (which, again, sometimes loves to freeze and lags) and loads of browser tabs). Heaviest game on my PC would be Starfield and maybe Call to Arms: Gates to Hell.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

19 minutes ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Yet, 1270 v2 is half of the price of the 3770k.

I found a 1270 v2 with USD 34.28, while maybe I could sell my old 1225 v2 in USD 15.

the only difference between core and xeon in older sockets are lack of igpu, there is no more differences, i'd say go for it, upgrading is always better than changing platform

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

Yet... Does it worth it to upgrade from 4C/4T to 4C/8T?

While the uplift on PassMark appears to be fairly decent, I doubt you'll find that 4 extra threads contributes a great deal to general desktop responsiveness. If your CPU is regularly hitting 60-100% while browsing then I suppose it might help a little, but my bigger concern is WHY is your CPU hitting 60-100% while browsing?

When this happens to me, it is almost always because a page that is full of crap (e.g. advertising videos) has bugged out and the tab (or the whole browser) needs to be closed and restarted.

1 hour ago, TukangUsapEmenq said:

My daily use case is just for little game and work from home (which using AutoCAD 2022 (which, again, sometimes loves to freeze and lags) and loads of browser tabs). Heaviest game on my PC would be Starfield and maybe Call to Arms: Gates to Hell.

I'm not sure how much AutoCAD is capable of using multiple threads, but in theory a fully multithreaded application could show some nice improvements. That said, I'd be more concerned about if you're running it from a HDD and if you're running out of memory, than just the thread count of your CPU.

Gaming: newer games definitely do benefit from having 8 threads, so I think you'll see some improvements there, but if Starfield is one of those, I don't know.

Save the money and upgrade to some old socket AM4 ...

Your 1270 v2 scores around 6400 points in cpubenchmark, your 1225v2 scores at around 4800

A ryzen 5 1600 is $40 on eBay and scores 12k+ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/315369899681

Even the Ryzen 1400 is 30$ and scores around 7500  points ... 1200 is not worth it even at 23$ because it has hyperthreading disabled and in general is shittiest binned dies (weak potential for OC)

Add 30-40$ for a mobo and 10-20$ for a kit of ram.

Not sure what country you're in... If you were in US, I would have suggested something like this 55$ lenovo ideacentre with a 3200g 8 gb ddr4 and 256gb ssd : https://www.ebay.com/itm/355579612446?

The weak point is the psu, I think those come with 200-300w power supplies and lack of ability to upgrade cpu much (maybe up to 1600-1700 would work), if you're lucky 2nd gen ryzens would work as well, not sure. but at 55$ it would be a steal.