POP!_OS Startup Applications minimize on startup

Go to solution Solved by Nayr438,
49 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Is there any command i can add with ''openrgb'' that will make it to start minimized?

/usr/bin/openrgb --startminimized

Hello everyone.

First of all, I want to apologize for any mistakes I may make since English is not my native language.

I've been jumping from Windows to different distributions of Linux in the past few years. 

I'd say I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate when it comes to Linux (can solve 99% of the problems I come across, of course with help of Google).

Few days ago I built new (to me) PC and decided that I'm sick of Windows and installed POP!_OS. Managed to set almost everything up without any major problems.

I'm not a big fan of RGB but I got a new case with ARGB fans so I decided to give it a try. I used Open RGB to configure it and set profile that changes colors based on CPU temps, but it doesn't load profile automatically when I turn my PC on.

So I opened Startup Applications, added Open RGB as startup program using command "openrgb -p myprofile.orp". When I turn my PC on, the profile loads only temporarily (one color based on current CPU temp at the time of booting) and doesn't change colors. 
I tried just the ''openrgb'' command, which seems to work fine (openrgb starts without problems, profile is loaded and everything works fine).

Only thing that drives me crazy is I can't figure out how to make Open RGB starts minimized (I don't want window to pop up when I boot into the OS).

Is there any command i can add with ''openrgb'' that will make it to start minimized?
I tried to google it, but all the results I got were to make different scripts ( I don't know how to do that, and I wouldn't like to do it for this particular problem because I'm sure there is a much simpler solution to my problem).

16 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Hello everyone.

First of all, I want to apologize for any mistakes I may make since English is not my native language.

I've been jumping from Windows to different distributions of Linux in the past few years. 

I'd say I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate when it comes to Linux (can solve 99% of the problems I come across, of course with help of Google).

Few days ago I built new (to me) PC and decided that I'm sick of Windows and installed POP!_OS. Managed to set almost everything up without any major problems.

I'm not a big fan of RGB but I got a new case with ARGB fans so I decided to give it a try. I used Open RGB to configure it and set profile that changes colors based on CPU temps, but it doesn't load profile automatically when I turn my PC on.

So I opened Startup Applications, added Open RGB as startup program using command "openrgb -p myprofile.orp". When I turn my PC on, the profile loads only temporarily (one color based on current CPU temp at the time of booting) and doesn't change colors. 
I tried just the ''openrgb'' command, which seems to work fine (openrgb starts without problems, profile is loaded and everything works fine).

Only thing that drives me crazy is I can't figure out how to make Open RGB starts minimized (I don't want window to pop up when I boot into the OS).

I tried to google it, but all the results I got were to make different scripts ( I don't know how to do that, and I wouldn't like to do it for this particular problem because I'm sure there is a much simpler solution to my problem).

Usually most command should have minimised or console mode on.

You'll able to find GitHub of that package with additional information.

For automatically boot I'm using systemd services you can create file then configure what the command line is gonna be and usually when you're typing --help after it will show you extra command lines.

There's example on google somewhere.

Then you'll be able to systemctl enable openrgb.service and systemctl start openrgb.service

If you did something wrong you'll be able to get information by systemctl status openrgb.service.

There are other ways but this is only way i know at the moment.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

3 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Usually most command should have minimised or console mode on.

You'll able to find GitHub of that package with additional information.

For automatically boot I'm using systemd services you can create file then configure what the command line is gonna be and usually when you're typing --help after it will show you extra command lines.

Then you'll be able to systemctl enable openrgb.service and systemctl start openrgb.service

If you did something wrong you'll be able to get information by systemctl status openrgb.service.

There are other ways but this is only way i know at the moment.

I don't think I'm on that level yet to be able to create and configure services 😄
However, if no one else gives me easier way to do it, I might give it a try.

4 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I don't think I'm on that level yet to be able to create and configure services 😄
However, if no one else gives me easier way to do it, I might give it a try.

It's best way to keep programs running in background as a service.

Even my good IT friend had difficulties.

But once you understand you'll remember.

You can copy different service and modify it and attempt that way might be easier.

If you're planning to do it, don't be afraid to ask me and I'll do my best to answer.

13 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

It's best way to keep programs running in background as a service.

Even my good IT friend had difficulties.

But once you understand you'll remember.

You can copy different service and modify it and attempt that way might be easier.

If you're planning to do it, don't be afraid to ask me and I'll do my best to answer.

I'll definitely give it a try if no other solution comes up.
I don't want to try it immediately because I'm afraid I'm gonna brick the whole system and it took me 2 days to set it up perfectly 😄

49 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

I was about to write that I found the solution 😄

It can be found with ''openrgb --help'' which I tried yesterday but was obviously blind...

Thank you very much 

5 hours ago, uzivkovic97 said:

I'll definitely give it a try if no other solution comes up.
I don't want to try it immediately because I'm afraid I'm gonna brick the whole system and it took me 2 days to set it up perfectly 😄

You're not gonna but I've misread your topic, all you needed was --help command not making auto start as boot.

My bad, glad you found you solution.