Now It's a Good Idea: Sony Looking into PS4.5

themodernagenb

Source: http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Multiple sources coming out of GDC have claimed that Sony is looking into upgrading the PS4. The new device, called PS4.5 or PS4K for now, it supposedly able to run games at 4K resolution.

It's unclear how they will implement this, but I am 100% positive it will be a just another console release just like the New Nintendo 3DS rather than something you will plug into your existing PS4.

This come right on the heels of MS's announcement this month about the potential for Xbox upgrades. A source mentioned that this sounds exploratory for now, so it seems like Sony doesn't want to be left behind this generation - you get a lot of attention as the most powerful console, and I bet Sony doesn't want to lose that crown.

I don't know how they will make this work, because as of right now it is really expensive to run 4K video games at 60 FPS. Whatever this console is, it may be really expensive. Console manufacturers don't like seller these things at a loss anymore.

bad bad bad bad bad idea

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4k res and 300+ particle effects in a 24men destiny/cod lan party using dual or 4 player split screen. RIP. The lag is real.

Gaming Desktop: 2016 Custom build | i7 | H105 | 250g ssd | 1t hd | 16g ram | gtx 970 | 750g psu | nzxt p530 | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/scionx/saved/LfdLrH

Gaming Laptop: 2012 Asus ROG G75VW 17" | i7 | 250g ssd | 500g hd | 16g ram | gtx 670m

Work Laptop: 2014 Macbook Pro 15" | i7 | 500g ssd | 16g ram | gt 750m

That's ridiculous.  Nobody in their right mind would buy a current generation console to play games at uhd. They probably count on running 2d or low fidelity games at that resolution and upscale the rest, but fragmenting the market over it is nonsense. Besides unless you use your ps4 with a monitor you'll be sitting too far from the screen to notice a big difference.

What could be cool is updating the firmware to have the build in hdmi port natively support 1440p or ultrawide 1080p. Just throwing that out there.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

While generally this is a resounding bad idea as one of a consoles core strengths is it's compatibility.  That is that every PS2 game runs on every PS2 and every Xbox game runs on every Xbox game, you don't have to worry about specs, I submit to yo this: The Nintendo Wii.  The Wii was really just an upgraded GameCube.  The Wii had the same GPU and CPU as the GameCube, they just ran faster and better, but fully supported the GameCube.  It had GameCube memory card slots and game ports.  It ran every GameCube game or it could use it's few extra features to run Wii games with what extra features it had.  The Wii was really just GameCube 2.0.

Since the PS4 is just an x86 machine, you could do the same thing.  You could swap out the chip for one with more GPU cores, keep complete compatibility with old PS4 games, but run these PS4.5 games that required the extra graphics hardware.  It wouldn't even be hard to do, though it would create a dual SKU system for marketing and retailers to deal with.

I'm betting that this new console is what is actually needed to properly use the PSVR headset that they are also planning. Pretty lame to create another segment in a segmented market.

PS 4.5 with 4.5GB HBM?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

While generally this is a resounding bad idea as one of a consoles core strengths is it's compatibility.  That is that every PS2 game runs on every PS2 and every Xbox game runs on every Xbox game, you don't have to worry about specs, I submit to yo this: The Nintendo Wii.  The Wii was really just an upgraded GameCube.  The Wii had the same GPU and CPU as the GameCube, they just ran faster and better, but fully supported the GameCube.  It had GameCube memory card slots and game ports.  It ran every GameCube game or it could use it's few extra features to run Wii games with what extra features it had.  The Wii was really just GameCube 2.0.

Since the PS4 is just an x86 machine, you could do the same thing.  You could swap out the chip for one with more GPU cores, keep complete compatibility with old PS4 games, but run these PS4.5 games that required the extra graphics hardware.  It wouldn't even be hard to do, though it would create a dual SKU system for marketing and retailers to deal with.

Which isn't really the issue since backwards compatibility always was there in some form. You couldn't run Wii games on the gamecube, which is one of the reasons this upgraded console thing is a bad idea.

What about people who just bought a PS4 and want to play future titles? If this PS4K turns out to be true, devs either had to optimize their games for two different consoles (less time will be spent perfecting a title) or just release it for the new one exclusively which would piss people off (and rightfully so).

Also, x86 alone doesn't mean old and new PS4 would be 100% compatible as they had to have the same memory architecture, one probably has to have a bigger framebuffer and there currently is no SoC that has the power of a high-end GPU and a strong CPU (and knowing AMD, it should be cooled with liquid N2 because otherwise it would burn your house down).

144Hz goodness

16 minutes ago, Prysin said:

not if this means custom AMD ZEN APU

yeah fucking over the other console owners is great

honestly i dunno how good zen will be so im not really bothered about it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This is fucking retarded.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

12 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

yeah fucking over the other console owners is great

honestly i dunno how good zen will be so im not really bothered about it

anything is better then the two AMD Athlon 35w 5350s quad cores that make up the "8 core" CPU part of the Xbox and PS4

14 minutes ago, ivhyn said:

What about people who just bought a PS4 and want to play future titles? If this PS4K turns out to be true, devs either had to optimize their games for two different consoles (less time will be spent perfecting a title) or just release it for the new one exclusively which would piss people off (and rightfully so).

Also, x86 alone doesn't mean old and new PS4 would be 100% compatible as they had to have the same memory architecture, one probably has to have a bigger framebuffer and there currently is no SoC that has the power of a high-end GPU and a strong CPU (and knowing AMD, it should be cooled with liquid N2 because otherwise it would burn your house down).

Let's be clear here: There was no SoC as powerful as the SoCs made for the Xbox One or PS4 until they made them.  Seriously, these things have more than double the raw graphical horse power of any of AMDs mobile or desktop APUs.  They're custom and huge. Upgrading the SoCs for either platform would be easy: They'd just have AMD bolt on more GCN 1.0 cores and build new chips like that.  Backwards compatibility would be handled in the OS.  The system would basically turn off the parts that the older software didn't need.  This is why the Wii's compatibility with GameCube was literally 100%.  Every single GC game ran on Wii. (Excluding the Wii models that dropped the GC ports to save money)  Despite having more memory available, the Wii's OS was easily designed to fully support running the hardware in a way that was 100% compatible with GameCube games.  Doing the same for a 'PlayStation 4 Point 5' would not be a major technical feat

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

anything is better then the two AMD Athlon 35w 5350s quad cores that make up the "8 core" CPU part of the Xbox and PS4

Sure but a 4,5 console is bullshit

4K xD

do you mean 4096 × 2160

or 3840 x 2160

because one of them it's not 4K! one of them is UHD-1 and the other is 4K

and between them there is a ~1/2mil (552960) pixels difference ;)

since the consoles are build to be connected to a TV, I'd say you're talking about UHD-1

If it can run games natively at 1080p at decent frame rates, that will scale up nicely to 4K. It's not 4K gaming as we'd define it, but a welcome improvement over the current consoles. Working on a more powerful PS4 probably isn't entirely unrelated to their VR headset, they might come out at a similar time.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

4K xD

do you mean 4096 × 2160

or 3840 x 2160

because one of them it's not 4K! one of them is UHD-1 and the other is 4K

and between them there is a 2.7mil pixels difference ;)

Sadly most people don't differentiate between those two.

Also, the difference is around 553000 pixels ;)

144Hz goodness

1 hour ago, themodernagenb said:

Source: http://kotaku.com/sources-sony-is-working-on-a-ps4-5-1765723053

Multiple sources coming out of GDC have claimed that Sony is looking into upgrading the PS4. The new device, called PS4.5 or PS4K for now, it supposedly able to run games at 4K resolution.

It's unclear how they will implement this, but I am 100% positive it will be a just another console release just like the New Nintendo 3DS rather than something you will plug into your existing PS4.

This come right on the heels of MS's announcement this month about the potential for Xbox upgrades. A source mentioned that this sounds exploratory for now, so it seems like Sony doesn't want to be left behind this generation - you get a lot of attention as the most powerful console, and I bet Sony doesn't want to lose that crown.

I don't know how they will make this work, because as of right now it is really expensive to run 4K video games at 60 FPS. Whatever this console is, it may be really expensive. Console manufacturers don't like seller these things at a loss anymore.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

This... isn't good for anyone.

I think that as long as it's not like a totally different console and that it uses the same games as the PS4 and the PS4 could play games that might be destined for that new hardware.

Though I do agree with Dan that it's not a very good idea. Also most people still only have 1080p TVs.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization