Palmer Lucky: Rift will come to Mac if Apple "ever release a good computer"

Master Disaster

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-founder-rift-will-come-to-mac-if-apple-ever-release-a-good-computer/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Palmer lucky shoots at apple

The highly-anticipated Oculus Rift VR headset will soon begin shipping to PC owners. But what about those who remain committed to other platforms, like, maybe, the Mac? Shacknews put that question to Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey, and hoo boy, did he answer it.

“That is up to Apple, and if they ever release a good computer, we will do it,” Luckey said. Savage.

To be fair though he did clarify the statement by saying he was talking about Apples usage of slow ass GPUs in their machines

To be fair, Luckey quickly clarified that he was referring to Apple's lack of high-end GPU support, even in its high-end systems, that the Rift is dependent upon. “You can buy a $6000 Mac Pro with a top-of-the-line AMD FirePro D700, and it still doesn't match our recommended specs," he continued. "So if they prioritize higher-end GPUs, like they used to for awhile back in the day, we'd love to support Mac. But right now, there's just not a single machine out there that supports it. So even if we could support it on the software side, there's just no audience of people that can run the vast majority of software out there.”

The Oculus Rift system requirements are steep, because as Luckey explained in 2014, VR requires a “much higher frame rate than you need on a typical screen” in order to function effectively. Dean Hall said something very similar just a few days ago on Reddit, warning, “If you drop any frames you can make the user sick.” The Rift is built to take advantage of a certain type of hardware, and Apple, for now, doesn't make that kind of hardware.

So yeah, Palmer Lucky thinks Apple use terrible GPUs and I'd agree with him.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Was just about to post this.

Anyway , shots fired at Apple.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I mean, he's right. iMacs have crappy overheating laptop discrete GPUs (or no dGPUs at all), MacBooks (all but the high-end 15" MacBook Pro) only have integrated GPUs (with the dGPU in the top end 15" MBP being very mid-range) and Mac Pro has a workstation GPU that isn't meant for gaming at all.

This is coming from a MacBook Pro user.

Ye ole' train

7 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Should have replaced the word good with gaming 

Good is better because it implies they are so low in performance they won't be able to game until years.

7 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Should have replaced the word good with gaming 

Nope, good was the right word. There is no Apple product that has the performance to run VR. Yet they have $6,000 machines for sell but cannot even do what a 970 can do? There is a problem.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

What's interesting is that all the Dev Kits support OS X, and yet the finished version does not.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Surprised no one posted this before... Its been all over Facebook tech groups for a few days.

I don't think apple has much interest in gaming, if they did they would have used better GPU's by now. I wonder if VR will make them change their mind. 

Just now, Marcus_UK said:

Surprised no one posted this before... Its been all over Facebook tech groups for a few days.

I don't think apple has much interest in gaming, if they did they would have used better GPU's by now. I wonder if VR will make them change their mind. 

I am calling it, Apple in 3 years news quote headline: "Apple Invents Desktop With VR Headset Recommended Specs" In the article it will state the machine is over $2,000. Hahaha.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

I am calling it, Apple in 3 years news quote headline: "Apple Invents Desktop With VR Headset Recommended Specs" In the article it will state the machine is over $2,000. Hahaha.

LMAO!!! I can already see people taking time off work and queuing up to get it.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

if they do it that far in the future they will lose a lot of fans

It's funny how pretty much everyone forgets that Apple doesn't make any of the macs remotely related to gaming....

And yet it turns into news

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

$2,000 for a VR capable desktop from Apple?  You really must be dreaming.  It will need to be at least $4,000.  And that will be for the one that will only technically run VR, it will be double if you want to actually do more then simple tech demos.

It's all a bunch of overblown nonsense.. Bunch of drunk nuts running wild.. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

Finally a head of something (to lazy to look up he's current standings after the FB acquisition) that isn't afraid to kick up some dirt. 

Lucky: "Yo Apple! You machines are overpriced shit!"

Apple's Response Internally: "What's our current time table on our VR headset?"

I know that's not what he said, I just wanna pretend :3

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

NnoGhN1h.jpg

Classics.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Hate VR, never cared about it and dont wanna try it, until they can make it completely healthy for your eyes/brain motion and actually portable, stylish and impressive, like the HoloLens impressed me. Screw that sheez.

Groomlake Authority

11 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Hate VR, never cared about it and dont wanna try it, until they can make it completely healthy for your eyes/brain motion and actually portable, stylish and impressive, like the HoloLens impressed me. Screw that sheez.

Are you talking about motion sickness issues?  Or is there some other health concerns I haven't heard about?

I don't think they will ever be able to completely get rid of motion sickness until we get full dive type devices.

Just now, ChineseChef said:

-snip-

Yes pretty much motion sickness, altough it can cause seizures in some people, like what happened to some Samsung customers experimenting the GearVr, forcing Bestbuy to remove them from market, temporarily.

Groomlake Authority

5 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Yes pretty much motion sickness, altough it can cause seizures in some people, like what happened to some Samsung customers experimenting the GearVr, forcing Bestbuy to remove them from market, temporarily.

AH, I had completely forgotten about seizure incidents, since it doesn't effect me. But I can totally see that being a problem too, since most people aren't aware they have seizure issues until it happens.  And I have known some people that weren't effected by common things, but walked into some random light situation (like a concert) that just happened to trigger something for them.

Apple:

2 years later makes a (theoratically) VR ready computer.

When you run it:

Overheats so much that it throttles and then the frame rate is so bad you can't run VR on it any more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I mean, the 2013 mac pro was pretty ballin

Getting a bit old tho

Use cases of apple products

iPod -> a memento to a long gone era made obsole by current products.

iPhone -> bragging rights

iPad -> coffee tray/a plate

Macbook -> beautifully designed doorstopper

Macbook Pro -> advanced beautifully designed doorstopper

iMac -> Bragging rights of having the most expensive facebook machine there is

20 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I mean, the 2013 mac pro was pretty ballin

Getting a bit old tho

that case is still beautiful even in 2016, wish they had kept it and had drivers for cards not used by Apple

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>