Sony announces new 4K network security camera

GeekPower0

sony-security-camera-2016-03-03-04.jpg

Sony's new SNC-VB770 is a security camera capable of recording in 30fps full color 4K, even in low light situations where the subject would be "almost invisible to the naked eye" (0.004 lux). It is also Sony's first network camera that uses an E-mount lens.

Thieves would be proud to be caught on the 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss lens shown above, which runs another $1,600 or so. The point is that you can add high-end glass from wide-angle to telephoto lenses to capture your target in pristine 4K. With a full-frame sensor and fast lens, you'd certainly get lovely images and bokeh, and Sony implied that the camera could even be used for production. With a razor-thin focus plane in low-light, however, we wonder if the cinematic qualities of the camera might clash with its intended use as a security device.

The camera will cost around $7,500 USD with lens sold separately.

Sources: Engadget, Sony (press release in Japanese)

1 minute ago, ItsMTC said:

Jesus the storage solution just to handle 4k 30fps continuous will be expensive; seems like an overkill solution personally.

lol the camera only is $7500 so couple of hard drives is nothing, just a couple of 6TB WD drives..

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

3 minutes ago, ItsMTC said:

Jesus the storage solution just to handle 4k 30fps continuous will be expensive; seems like an overkill solution personally.

4k cameras and 8k camera s already exist, they use SSDs

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, ItsMTC said:

I fully expect Linus to have 8 of these watching a Super Mario collectable. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I fully expect Linus to have 8 of these watching a Super Mario collectable. 

*The garbage can. so he can see who didn't properly throw their garbage in.

this would be a more "Linus" thing to do lol

48 minutes ago, Katorice said:

*The garbage can. so he can see who didn't properly throw their garbage in.

this would be a more "Linus" thing to do lol

The kitchen in general. He'd be able to see who's using what plate/cup/utensil.

1 hour ago, ItsMTC said:

Security systems are usually configured to record only when there's movement in a particular part of the frame.

And even if the camera is capable of 30fps, it doesn't mean that's what the recording is going to be at.

fuck it, just steal the damn camera

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

4 hours ago, Maslofski said:

fuck it, just steal the damn camera

This does pose an interesting question, of when security stuff gets expensive enough, will people just start stealing the security things?  lol

Well now the enhance thing that TV shows do won't be too out there now. 

E-mount security camera? I'm not sure if this is the most genius thing Sony could do or the dumbest thing possible?

The interchangeable lense will only drive up the price of the hardware for no reason. But it will give you options, telephoto lense on an 4k security camera to spy on your neighbors? xD I kid, it maybe useful to see drivers/ passengers of vehicles though. Or add an wide angle lense plus pole mounted the camera to get a good view of an large area.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

all you would really need is a wide-angle lens. least that's what i would mount with.

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

20 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

it maybe useful to see drivers/ passengers of vehicles though. Or add an wide angle lense plus pole mounted the camera to get a good view of an large area.

This is not meant for fast motion as it is 30 fps.  Cameras for traffic are 60 fps minimum if they want anything other than a blurry mess.

1 Timothy 1:15

3 minutes ago, f22luke said:

This is not meant for fast motion as it is 30 fps.  Cameras for traffic are 60 fps minimum if they want anything other than a blurry mess.

The image being blurry would be dependent on the shutter speed of the camera, not the refresh rate. It would be perfectly capable of capturing sharp frames at 30 fps or lower.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

1 minute ago, bob345 said:

The image being blurry would be dependent on the shutter speed of the camera, not the refresh rate. It would be perfectly capable of capturing sharp frames at 30 fps or lower.

That is true although it is typical for cameras limited to 30 fps to have slow shutter speeds especially those meant for low light.  This camera being soo expensive could be an exception but i'm still going to say that fast motion is not what is was meant to capture.

1 Timothy 1:15

Now they know just to go after the security cameras and the massive NAS full of hard drives. Nothing better to steal!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

"The licence plate is a little blurry"

*keyboard strokes*

"Enhancing..."

*keyboard intensifies*

"There appears to be a partial left index print, engage 4k"

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

This does pose an interesting question, of when security stuff gets expensive enough, will people just start stealing the security things?  lol

I'd imagine these security cameras will be mounted behind some kind of bullet proof glass dome. But yeah, at this point the camera itself becomes a very high priority target for a thief. 

How much is it without a lens? 

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

How much is it without a lens? 

$7500 without an lens.

Thought about another use scenario. fuzzy logic input for things like assembly line quality control/flow control, traffic management for large intersections, junctions, or freeways/highways, and of course live data 'webcams' for visual meteorological observations.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Completely useless if it does not have IR. And that thing is gobble up HDD much faster than Google gobbles up your ram.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 04/03/2016 at 8:33 PM, NumLock21 said:

Completely useless if it does not have IR. And that thing is gobble up HDD much faster than Google gobbles up your ram.

Doesnt really need it since it can practically see in the dark

So even the tiniest amount of ambient light would be enough (ie starlight or security lighting)

HDD space is no concern since its an expensive camera an extra $1000 in drives is not an issue

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I guess this would help with facials then... That and other nightly debaucheries concerning the security department

/s

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.