FCC rules you can get cable through Apple, Google, Amazon, Android, etc

CtW

Source: http://nerdist.com/fcc-ruling-cable-apple-tv-android-tv-google-amazon/\

This week, the Federal Communications Commission ruled that you can get your cable through devices besides your company’s cable box. The ruling means that instead of having to rent the box from, say, Time Warner or ATT Uverse, you will be able to add that subscription onto your Apple TV, Fire TV, Android TV and Roku boxes. You still have to have a cable subscription, but the massive rental fees will be a thing of the past. What does that really mean? Well, it’s going to give cable companies some competition and hopefully reduce the amount of money you have to spend every month. It’s not a done deal yet, but this is the first step in what is likely inevitable as industry standards change and people are cutting the cord in droves. FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler tweeted this today:

Cable companies seem to be realizing, finally, that many consumers are fed up with their customer service. Time Warner, which had a less-than-stellar reputation, has even started a campaign to make themselves look better with shorter wait times for customer service calls and two hour windows for house calls. How we get our entertainment has been rapidly changing since the introduction of streaming services. Netflix and Amazon have been producing their own content, people are watching on phones and tablets, and even basic cable channels have apps you can get almost anywhere. Major cable channels like HBO already allow you to watch their shows without a separate cable subscription for a fee.

In a press release, Massachusetts Senator Edward J. Markey said, “The FCC’s new framework for innovators and companies to develop new technologies that allow consumers to access video programming without having to rent a box from their pay-TV provider is smart, fair and a long time in coming. The FCC’s action will help ensure that consumers are not captive to high video box leasing fees forever.”

This is amazing news for those who have been thinking about cutting the cord but still want to access their favorite channels. This should also hopefully lead to the democratization of the cable box as well as some innovations in that area. I personally consume most of my television online using the service my cable provider has (Xfinity TV Home) that has allowed me to view some on-demand and live content, but this ruling will enable much more than that. 

Good riddance i say. hopefully Australia follows on this soon because my $100 phone has more performance than the box Foxtel are renting out. The damn thing freezes on every button press. not fun.

Hey look, my signature is invisible!

I'm so happy right now. does this mean we don't need a stupid cable card anymore for htpc's? 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

But, but, when there's a monopoly, companies set the right price otherwise people won't buy their products.

/s

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

But, but, when there's a monopoly, companies set the right price otherwise people won't buy their products.

/s

Well when the companies collude with each other and divvy up a country into sections for each company, of course they don't set the right price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Extremely glad that they were able to move forward in this. I was crossing my fingers for this for so long.

41 minutes ago, SuperCookie78 said:

I'm so happy right now. does this mean we don't need a stupid cable card anymore for htpc's? 

I'd assume so as the requirement to watch live TV is now just going to be a cable subscription.

Get rekt DirectTV

A thought for @LinusTech Will we be able to build our own DVR boxes, with reasonable amounts of storage, and the ability to record more than two programs at once (without having to watch one of said programs)?

Our DirecTV box maybe records a hundred hours of TV total, and you can only record two programs at once. One of them has to be the "on screen channel". Meaning you basically have to be watching it.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, ivan134 said:

/s

If you're going to make fun of economic theory, at least know what you're quoting/saying. Even monopolies have to incentivize buyers. That comes down to addressing needs of various market segments at prices which are optimal to maximize TOTAL profit (not profit per item as some would have you believe). What is this magical price? It's where their known marginal cost curve meets their theoretical (based on market demand research) marginal revenue curve. Monopolies cannot just set prices however arbitrarily high you can imagine. They would end up losing out on profits which would anger shareholders which would disincentivize other investors from bringing in new money, etc..

Generally you have 2 kinds of markets: elastic demand and inelastic demand. Elastic demand markets consist of non-life-essential commodities and luxuries. Inelastic demand markets consist of necessities be it food, life-saving drugs, etc.. If you sell in an elastic market, raising prices at all will have a visible effect on declining sales numbers. Dropping prices will increase sales visibly. For inelastic markets, big swings in price do not have such effects. Sales barely moves, as demand is fairly constant, and the items aren't called necessities without reason. It's in these rare instances of inelastic demand monopoly situations that government should step in and (in a perfect world) always bust up the monopoly into multiple companies or at the very least forcibly revoke their ability to have exclusive rights to their key patents. For elastic-demand markets, products have to improve for people to be willing to buy, and the price has to be fair to the consumer to be willing to part with money. This is why complaining about Intel as a virtual monopoly is quite stupid. There is plenty of competition abounding from the big iron servers to tablets and phones. While ARM is years away from catching up to Intel's raw performance, eventually it may be possible. In order to stay ahead of that, Intel will continue to innovate both in performance and power consumption. The news about 10nm delays is not good for Intel's stock price or fresh investor revenue. Neither is the stagnation of the PC market. No company wants to lose out on profit if the perceived effort to get it is outweighed by the benefit. Otellini I'm sure to this day kicks himself over missing the smartphone boat, but Kirzanich is on top of Internet of Things which will be huge in time. Intel will continue to push the envelope every way it can.

Will it try to get away with doing the minimum to get the layperson to buy a new processor? Yes. Every company does that. AMD/ATI put the minimal effort into supporting GCN. They had great hardware but poor driver optimization for years until most recently when hardware improvements could no longer be made (Fiji is ROP-starved but GCN is limited to 64 so...). Nvidia took the polar opposite approach to obtain the result that is Maxwell. Intel has been improving instructions tailored toward enterprise use because that's where the bulk of its revenue comes from. It does the minimum it has to to get the optimal number of buyers at the optimal price to defray the R&D and production costs. Monopoly in an elastic demand market is not a problem. Complacency brings competition. Lack of innovation leads to loss of sales, profits, and investment. Even Intel can't just sit back on its laurels.

And sorry but cable TV is a luxury and elastic demand market. I've gone nearly 4 years without it in college and rarely even watch it at home. The few series I do want to watch I can buy straight from Amazon for a much cheaper price than a monthly subscription to cable complete with rental costs of the boxes. There are some instances where governments have been bought and enforce monopolies (this is the worst-case scenario), but voters need to learn to not be raving lunatics or drool monkeys. You get what you deserve.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

3 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

If you're going to make fun of economic theory, at least know what you're quoting/saying. Even monopolies have to incentivize buyers. That comes down to addressing needs of various market segments at prices which are optimal to maximize TOTAL profit (not profit per item as some would have you believe). What is this magical price? It's where their known marginal cost curve meets their theoretical (based on market demand research) marginal revenue curve. Monopolies cannot just set prices however arbitrarily high you can imagine. They would end up losing out on profits which would anger shareholders which would disincentivize other investors from bringing in new money, etc..

Generally you have 2 kinds of markets: elastic demand and inelastic demand. Elastic demand markets consist of non-life-essential commodities and luxuries. Inelastic demand markets consist of necessities be it food, life-saving drugs, etc.. If you sell in an elastic market, raising prices at all will have a visible effect on declining sales numbers. Dropping prices will increase sales visibly. For inelastic markets, big swings in price do not have such effects. Sales barely moves, as demand is fairly constant, and the items aren't called necessities without reason. It's in these rare instances of inelastic demand monopoly situations that government should step in and (in a perfect world) always bust up the monopoly into multiple companies or at the very least forcibly revoke their ability to have exclusive rights to their key patents. For elastic-demand markets, products have to improve for people to be willing to buy, and the price has to be fair to the consumer to be willing to part with money. This is why complaining about Intel as a virtual monopoly is quite stupid. There is plenty of competition abounding from the big iron servers to tablets and phones. While ARM is years away from catching up to Intel's raw performance, eventually it may be possible. In order to stay ahead of that, Intel will continue to innovate both in performance and power consumption. The news about 10nm delays is not good for Intel's stock price or fresh investor revenue. Neither is the stagnation of the PC market. No company wants to lose out on profit if the perceived effort to get it is outweighed by the benefit. Otellini I'm sure to this day kicks himself over missing the smartphone boat, but Kirzanich is on top of Internet of Things which will be huge in time. Intel will continue to push the envelope every way it can.

Will it try to get away with doing the minimum to get the layperson to buy a new processor? Yes. Every company does that. AMD/ATI put the minimal effort into supporting GCN. They had great hardware but poor driver optimization for years until most recently when hardware improvements could no longer be made (Fiji is ROP-starved but GCN is limited to 64 so...). Nvidia took the polar opposite approach to obtain the result that is Maxwell. Intel has been improving instructions tailored toward enterprise use because that's where the bulk of its revenue comes from. It does the minimum it has to to get the optimal number of buyers at the optimal price to defray the R&D and production costs. Monopoly in an elastic demand market is not a problem. Complacency brings competition. Lack of innovation leads to loss of sales, profits, and investment. Even Intel can't just sit back on its laurels.

Which is why I tell people they shouldn't defend companies, even AMD, in any circumstance as its very rarely not their fault if bad things happen to them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

When I've compared TiVo and my cable provider the price was a wash. I really hope this new system will work. The rental fees are inane. However it seems the cable companies are just threatening to require we use more boxes or other innovative charges for consumers. 

I was waiting for this to happen. Rental fees are extreme at $10-$35 PER box. Worst is you can't just buy boxes out right because they don't accept it (same thing is starting to happen to modems with Comcast).

When Comcast introduced their Xfinity app I was disappointed I couldn't use it with of my devices. It worked temporarily on my 360 and Android stuff but the library was extremely limited compared to their TV on-demand library.When they introduced X1 I was hoping it would change, but nope. I can watch shows I record on my computer now but not really helpful when I can just watch it next day on it anyway.

I feel if this goes through they will just do the same thing with limited show/movie options or find a way around it. 

Comcast: "Oh you want to use your roku for cable? That's will be an additional $10/month surcharge".

And can we just switch to internet streaming for cable? TV cables are so bulky and my house is old so they aren't hidden. If it really works through those streaming boxes it will be SOOOOOOOOO nice and clean :3 (I understand some places have poop internet but it will be nice in places with good speeds)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

On 2/21/2016 at 2:18 AM, patrickjp93 said:

snip

Very informative post for a reply to a /s post. o.O

3 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Very informative post for a reply to a /s post. o.O

I was in a very pissy mood after dealing with the morons at wccf. I couldn't see the sarcasm through the haze that was being angry at stupid people.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

On 2/21/2016 at 9:40 PM, Trik'Stari said:

Get rekt DirectTV

-snip-

A thought for @LinusTech Will we be able to build our own DVR boxes, with reasonable amounts of storage, and the ability to record more than two programs at once (without having to watch one of said programs)?

Our DirecTV box maybe records a hundred hours of TV total, and you can only record two programs at once. One of them has to be the "on screen channel". Meaning you basically have to be watching it.

Good question. I'm wondering how long from now it will take for companies like Roku to implement cable subscription apps to their hardware. I am so ready but hope it's not a year or two until companies decide to release boxes that we can buy. I wonder if there's already good DVR cable boxes (maybe the exact same ones Xfinity uses) that we can buy and start using today.

8 hours ago, allindaze said:

Good question. I'm wondering how long from now it will take for companies like Roku to implement cable subscription apps to their hardware. I am so ready but hope it's not a year or two until companies decide to release boxes that we can buy. I wonder if there's already good DVR cable boxes (maybe the exact same ones Xfinity uses) that we can buy and start using today.

If the major cable companies like DirecTV and Comcast are smart, (which is a stretch, to be sure), they'll just create an app, which is the OS used on their cable boxes now, and just change it to support most modern "standard" computer hardware.

Specifically, an I3 with 4gb of DDR3 and a couple of 1tb HDD's. Because some of us want to record several thousands of hours worth of TV. Not just a hundred.

Then lock the ISO of said OS, to require a specific key, given to people who have subscriptions, and require a network connection. Basically DRM for cable and satellite TV. How lord GabeN doesn't jump all over this, is beyond me.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

About time.  I think a decent chunk of the anger towards and general irritation with cable companies is having to use the all-too-often terrible cable boxes that are slow, buggy, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I sure hope this thing pushes through. Even though the connection we have at my girlfriend's apartment is 15/1 for $35, I still think that's overprice....but it isn't as bad as one the back home to my parents place.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

If there is ever a way to make a Kodi plugin to directly pull in your cable subscription, I may actually consider paying for a subscription.

Well I cant say that the FCC isn't making good use of their new found power....

/s

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER