Nvidia driver 361.75 introduces Eject GPU bug. EDIT: 361.82 Hotfix available now

Imakuni

EDIT: If anyone is super mad about it, there's already a Hot Fix Driver available, 361.82, which you can download here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/914053/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-361-82/

Source: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/912985/geforce-drivers/official-361-75-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-1-27-16-/1/

For those of you unaware, driver version 361.75 just launched today. Along with support for Rise of the Tomb Raider and The Division, it also included BETA support for external GPU solutions via thunderbolt. That last part is the important one, however, as many (though not all) users are reporting the USB Eject icon to show your internal, PCIe GPU as a removable device:

CZwRXUwW0AABjOp.png

Some users have reported imediate PC crashes, others said nothing happened. ManuelGuzman from Nvidia already stated:

This is part of the new BETA support for external GPUs however this message will be removed from the next driver.

So there you have it, before anyone goes crazy asking "omg wth is this?!". Nvidia is aware of the small issue (it's not harmful if you don't mess with it) and it should soon be corrected in another 370mb driver download.

What's funny is that if this was an ACTUAL feature instead of a bug, just like hot swapping HDs, Nvidia would be getting praised for it's achievements instead of getting hate for it's buggy software. Oh Humanity, y 're u alwayz so cruel........

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What's funny is that if this was an ACTUAL feature

funny thing is that's an actual feature to allow external graphic cards to be removed without rebooting the main unit (laptop)

the unintended behaviour is that it shows for normal mobo PCIe systems

---

the part that bothers me: who the fuck tested it?! or no one did and they released it blindly  -_-

"bug"?! no! it's called incompetence

So there you have it, before anyone goes crazy asking "omg wth is this?!". Nvidia is aware of the small issue (it's not harmful if you don't mess with it) and it should soon be corrected in another 370mb driver download.

Someone on here already started a thread asking why :P hah!

Well you could delete the Recycle bin in Windows Vista so ejecting GPUs is nothing major I guess :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

If you're dumb enough to eject your gpu, you deserve all the fubar you get. Dumb bug, but hardly a problem for anyone clever enough to breathe and sit up at the same time.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

If you're dumb enough to eject your gpu, you deserve all the fubar you get. Dumb bug, but hardly a problem for anyone clever enough to breathe and sit up at the same time.

50RS4hz.gif

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

It is a feature.

It was added for Thunderbolt 3 eGPUs.

It states that in the update notes.

EDIT:

9bubtxU.png

funny thing is that's an actual feature to allow external graphic cards to be removed without rebooting the main unit (laptop)

the unintended behaviour is that it shows for normal mobo PCIe systems

I meant an actual feature for PCIe desktop mobos. I know that it's an intended feature for external solutions. But the whole context of the post is internal stuff.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

As expected the driver is shit on mobile. Stutter city....

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Their's a reason it's a Beta driver...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I just had to test this but it just flashed the monitor and nothing else happened.

Their's a reason it's a Beta driver...

No, it's not. The support for external GPUs is Beta, but the driver itself is an official WHQL release.

I just had to test this but it just flashed the monitor and nothing else happened.

Some users reported crashes, some reported icons looking weird all over the place, and some (like you) reported that nothing really happened.

*clicks eject GPU* "pshhhhhhhhhhh" 3,2,1, ignition................ GC goes into orbit ^^

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

As expected the driver is shit on mobile. Stutter city....

Using a 850M here it's working fine.

Hmmh. Maybe the TB3 bridge to the eGPu is implemented in such a way that it's indistinguishable from internal PCI-E? So at least until they include a detection, it's kind of all or nothing. Also, I would be awesome if simply ejecting the GPU would enable the iGPU. 

What a time to be alive.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Not sure if you needed to preemptively defend Nvidia and their driver here, AMD latest driver was also crap, far worst issues in fact.

Oh no no, I wasn't trying to defend Nvidia. I was trying to alert people that didn't download, explain headaches to clueless folks, and as a bonus create a quick link for us to just quote if anyone asks us "wtf is this?

Believe me, I already got "spam" filtered in Nvidia's forums 4 times in a row, as well as having driver issues ever since 2014's Gtx 970 launch. Along with other more recent stuff that's bugging me. But defending Nvidia is different than being fair with Nvidia, which is something we should really do with any company for that matter.....

I don't see why this is such a big deal. A normal bug that screws things up? Sure. A bug that only does something if you mess with a button that might as well have red flashing lights around it? I'll take that any day.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Lol. Oh well, just don't eject your GPU. Problem solved, just as long as it doesn't "eject" by itself then I don't have a problem. Also noting that this is classed as BETA driver technology I expected something weird like this. Pretty sure Nvidia will have this fixed relatively quickly.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Lol. Oh well, just don't eject your GPU. Problem solved, just as long as it doesn't "eject" by itself then I don't have a problem. Also noting that this is classed as BETA driver technology I expected something weird like this. Pretty sure Nvidia will have this fixed relatively quickly.

Quite honestly, they shouldn't release a Beta feature in a WHQL driver. If they wanted to release it as a beta driver, I'd be perfectly fine with that. But as a WHQL, the one that everyone is going to download by default?

That's a bit too much, even though the bug is small.