AMD accuses BAPCo and Intel of cheating with Sysmark benchmarks

Because the FX 8350 has only 2 ALUs for every 4 per Haswell core, and because it lacks newer instructions. Software should be keeping up with new instructions. AMD can get bent or prove it. Also, games are GPU-bound. That's not a valid way to test CPU power.

But haswell is a SMT design. The 4 ALUs are shared between 2 threads.

A single thread most likely peak at 3 ALUs, anyway.

as for who's screwing who ..

do you recall Intel's Larrabee? nVidia fckd over Intel by retracting their licences, killin Larrabee in 2010

what did Intel do? complain? made YT videos about it? no, they started working on co-processors; they recently bought Altera and with that purchase they will put the screws to nVidia - not by "cheating" in benchmarks

You might want to look into history, on why things acted out as they did.

Nvidia didn't suddenly f*ck intel for no reason. It was basically retaliation, because Intel tried to kill off Nvidias chipset business (again, with dirty tricks).

They went into a lawsuit. Intel didn't come out as the winning party..

EDIT: Larrabee was also DOA. They went ahead an turned it into a dedicated co-processors, where it actually had a chance.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

People questioning AMD's damning, demonstrated and data-backed arguments... what are you doing? Is your objectivity switched not flipped in the 'On' position?

You have no clue. AMD is cherry picking specific tasks that use instructions which for both companies are at their theoretical lowest possible latencies, leaving only cache, memory, and clock speed differences for the most part. AMD is going to have to do much better to make me start believing this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You have no clue.

I think that line rather applies to people who react to a statement along with backing information with assumptions that one party is making a mistake.

You aren't supposed to believe one side or the other based on them making claims. If anything, consider the information and see what it adds up to.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

When did I say Zen doesn't match Haswell? We're expecting it to be somewhere around 40% faster than Excavator, putting Zen on par with or even higher than Haswell.

Look at Skylake. That uses 14nm. The improvement from Haswell is about 10-15% faster, that's an minimal improvement at best. So you telling me that just because AMD's Zen is 14nm and on par with Haswell, that it's a joke? Laughable.

I don't know how Cannonlake will perform but I'm predicting it's another 10-15% improvement over Kaby Lake, judging from Intel's trends.

The fact you people expect that AMD will suddenly catch up to Intel is a joke in itself, actually be realistic for once. The only thing Zen is hoping to achieve is for AMD to be relevant again and making some competition.

point is for people on haswell there's no reason to move over to zen & even for new builders they're better off getting a haswell CPU which may end up cheaper especially with their motherboard being so cheap along with DDR3 being cheaper than 4 and will only get cheaper.

point is for people on haswell there's no reason to move over to zen & even for new builders they're better off getting a haswell CPU which may end up cheaper especially with their motherboard being so cheap.

Competitive pricing is going be a large factor. If it costs somewhere around Haswell but not as much as Skylake, I think many people will be appealed by the idea of having DDR4.

Also remember that Zen will go up to 8 cores. If they can competitively price their 6 cores, we might see more people flock to AMD.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Competitive pricing is going be a large factor. If it costs somewhere around Haswell but not as much as Skylake, I think many people will be appealed by the idea of having DDR4.

Also remember that Zen will go up to 8 cores. If they can competitively price their 6 cores, we might see more people flock to AMD.

See that what has me worried. How are they going to get an 8 core haswell level IPC for less than an i7,  those prices are going to be higher same with the suppose 6 core. 

See that what has me worried. How are they going to get an 8 core haswell level IPC for less than an i7,  those prices are going to be higher same with the suppose 6 core. 

True. This is all speculation so I don't know what specific price AMD is aiming for, but an alternative to the i7s would appeal to quite a lot of people (again, if priced competitively). If AMD is willing to adjust their prices to rival some of the i7s, we just don't know. For now, Intel still has the dominance in the high end range.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

point is for people on haswell there's no reason to move over to zen & even for new builders they're better off getting a haswell CPU which may end up cheaper especially with their motherboard being so cheap along with DDR3 being cheaper than 4 and will only get cheaper.

A 2016 CPU was never going to get people to ditch a 2013 Intel CPU (yes, I know many were bought in 2014, 15 or even 16). It's about replacing Sandy/Ivy Bridge, anything older from Intel, and anything pre-Zen from AMD. Haswell will most likely be poor value for money by the time Zen arrives, even if Zen itself sucks - Skylake supply issues should clear up eventually.

A 2016 CPU was never going to get people to ditch a 2013 Intel CPU (yes, I know many were bought in 2014, 15 or even 16). It's about replacing Sandy/Ivy Bridge, anything older from Intel, and anything pre-Zen from AMD. Haswell will most likely be poor value for money by the time Zen arrives, even if Zen itself sucks - Skylake supply issues should clear up eventually.

which hopefully when summer hits, I can have myself a 6700K at the $350 USD mark ;)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I think that line rather applies to people who react to a statement along with backing information with assumptions that one party is making a mistake.

You aren't supposed to believe one side or the other based on them making claims. If anything, consider the information and see what it adds up to.

It doesn't add up to what AMD is claiming it does. If you're falling for this, you're woefully ignorant.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I find that hard to believe since people say skylake isn't worth the move from a 2500K yet they are going to move to zen which is worst than skylake which they say isn't worth it. 

I find that hard to believe since people say skylake isn't worth the move from a 2500K yet they are going to move to zen which is worst than skylake which they say isn't worth it. 

Who said that? lol Zen isn't out yet so how can it be worse?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

It doesn't add up to what AMD is claiming it does. If you're falling for this, you're woefully ignorant.

Intel have been done before for falsifying benchmark results, People in the FX club on OCN have recently received payouts over the class action or what ever it's called.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

it stated to be on haswell level in IPC how is that not worst than skylake which is faster than haswell, so yes it will not be better than skylake.

By who? AMD or other? Based on what? Speculation isn't fact.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

By who? AMD or other? Based on what? Speculation isn't fact.

@patrickjp93 did the math in regards to Zen's theoretical IPC performance based on the information they gave us.  It's 40% over Excavator which puts us in the ballpark, clock for clock around 5% below or above Haswell in IPC performance - that's speculation, but it's the most likely result.  So, with their own numbers and the knowledge of where it'd put them IPC wise - they're going to be at Haswell / Ivy-bridge levels of IPC when Kaby-lake and Skylake-E are released.  Zen is going to need to be in some -really- good pricing brackets as performance will definitely not be the winner in this case.

Zen is already a disappointment. Its stated to be on Haswell level not even skylake so it's coming in with an L. 

If Zen has Haswell performance it will only be relevant if it's significantly cheaper than Skylake. 

You are mistaken, Zen was stated to have IPC of around Haswell level or a little above that with 6 and 8 cored mainstream CPUs, not to be around Haswell level of performance. If they're priced aggressively, they would not be a disappointment but a valid alternative to what Intel has/will have to offer, I'm not sure if those statements are true, but that's what has been revealed so far.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

@patrickjp93 did the math in regards to Zen's theoretical IPC performance based on the information they gave us.  It's 40% over Excavator which puts us in the ballpark, clock for clock around 5% below or above Haswell in IPC performance - that's speculation, but it's the most likely result.  So, with their own numbers and the knowledge of where it'd put them IPC wise - they're going to be at Haswell / Ivy-bridge levels of IPC when Kaby-lake and Skylake-E are released.  Zen is going to need to be in some -really- good pricing brackets as performance will definitely not be the winner in this case.

Still could be speculation on their end too, fuck knows, there's no point talking about it til they're released.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Still could be speculation on their end too, fuck knows, there's no point talking about it til they're released.

I really hope it's not speculation on AMD's end.  If they're just speculating about their own architecture and CPU's performance and don't even know if it is going to get close to Haswell performance and IPC - we should be worried.

I really hope it's not speculation on AMD's end.  If they're just speculating about their own architecture and CPU's performance and don't even know if it is going to get close to Haswell performance and IPC - we should be worried.

Worrying over the performance of a CPU is ridiculous, there are far more important things to worry about.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

You are mistaken, Zen was stated to have IPC of around Haswell level or a little above that with 6 and 8 cored mainstream CPUs, not to be around Haswell level of performance. If they're priced aggressively, they would not be a disappointment but a valid alternative to what Intel has/will have to offer, I'm not sure if those statements are true, but that's what has been revealed so far.

Well, I am not mistaken as I was just responding to the scenario where Zen was only just as good as Haswell in performance. I do doubt that would ever be the case, otherwise I don't know why AMD would bother. If they release IPC levels of Haswell with 6-8 cores and they are priced competitively then it will obviously be a great addition to the market and will make a lot of people consider AMD over Intel. 

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

AMD has only given some approximate numbers about IPC. We don't know what clocks Zen will run at yet. The problem with Intel architectures after Sandy Bridge is that they've struggled to reach the same (over)clocks, which means the improvement in IPC has been partially counteracted by lower clocks.

In addition, people saying they'll move to Zen but not Skylake also has to do with pricing, as well as perceived performance and maybe even brand preference. If a Zen quad core is significantly cheaper than the currently $250+ Core i5-6600K, well then it could be a more attractive upgrade even if performance is slightly lower.

Bottom line, we don't know yet. We don't know the price, and we only have vague ideas about the performance.

Intel have been done before for falsifying benchmark results, People in the FX club on OCN have recently received payouts over the class action or what ever it's called.

No they haven't. Cinebench was a matter of Maxon using a compiler that didn't optimize for AMD's architecture. That said, Intel's compiler still doesn't optimize for anyone but Intel, and you don't see a fresh lawsuit over that. Maxon screwed that up, not Intel. The judge was incompetent. As for Pentium 4, that was under Otellini more than a decade ago. He and Richard Huddy are both gone. Intel is innocent until proven guilty and AMD is full of crap until it puts its money where it's mouth is or provides proof I can't debunk in my sleep.

AMD has only given some approximate numbers about IPC. We don't know what clocks Zen will run at yet. The problem with Intel architectures after Sandy Bridge is that they've struggled to reach the same (over)clocks, which means the improvement in IPC has been partially counteracted by lower clocks.

In addition, people saying they'll move to Zen but not Skylake also has to do with pricing, as well as perceived performance and maybe even brand preference. If a Zen quad core is significantly cheaper than the currently $250+ Core i5-6600K, well then it could be a more attractive upgrade even if performance is slightly lower.

Bottom line, we don't know yet. We don't know the price, and we only have vague ideas about the performance.

We do know, and 14nm FF is not going to maintain the same clocks that 32nm Bulk did. At best they'll be in the same range. I predict low-mid 3GHz for the 8-cores.

We have a very solid idea about performance. It will be 3% over Haswell at the absolute best per-clock.