AMD accuses BAPCo and Intel of cheating with Sysmark benchmarks

Source PC world: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3023373/hardware/amd-accuses-bapco-and-intel-of-cheating-with-sysmark-benchmarks.html

By Gordon Mah Ung Executive Editor

'' AMD threw out a bombshell and accused its rival Intel and BAPCo, the benchmarking consortium, of cheating. 

In a video posted Thursday on Youtube, John Hampton, director of AMD’s client computing products, went so far as to refer obliquely to the recent Volkswagen scandal, where the German car manufacturer was accused of cheating on diesel emissions tests. “The recent debacle over a major auto maker provide the perfect illustration as to why the information provided by even the most established organizations can be misleading,” Hampton said.

Intel declined to comment on AMD’s accusation, but when asked BAPCo officials said its customers trusted it.

"The reason thousands of customers trust BAPCo benchmarks is because we are an industry consortium that focuses on the performance of applications that people use on a daily basis," a spokesman for the consortium said.

Why this matters: Performance still matters to consumers and organizations. Third-party benchmarks hold heavy sway over purchasing decisions even if few understand what they measure. AMD asks reasonable questions, but the answers remain murky—even from AMD.

amd_fx8150_chip-100532017-large.jpgRobert Cardin

AMD makes its case

Hampton laid out AMD's case in the video. “So truth or myth: is Sysmark a reliable, objective, unbiased benchmark to use in evaluating system performance?” Hampton asked. Hampton and AMD engineering manager Tony Salinas then ran two “similar” laptops running Sysmark 2014. The Core i5 laptop scored about 987, while the AMD FX laptop scored 659.

Salinas then ran the same laptop in Futuremark’s PCMark 8 Work Accelerated workload. While the AMD FX laptop is slower, it’s only about 7 percent slower.

One final test Salinas ran was an unidentified benchmark using Microsoft Office. The Core i5 finished in 61 seconds, while the FX chip finished in 64 seconds.

“What we concluded is that Sysmark does not use realistic every day workloads,” Hampton said. He encouraged viewers to read the FTC’s fine print, which dictated what Intel had to disclose on benchmarks.

The FTC ruling in 2010 bound Intel to say: “Software and workloads used in performance tests may have been optimized for performance only on Intel microprocessors. Performance tests, such as Sysmark and MobileMark, are measured using specific computer systems, components, software, operations and functions. Any change to any of those factors may cause the results to vary. You should consult other information and performance tests to assist you in fully evaluating your contemplated purchase, including the performance of that product when combined with other product.”

A longstanding feud

AMD’s problems actually go all the way back to 2000, when the company’s Athlon XP CPU was kicking Pentium 4 butt in Sysmark 2001. When Sysmark 2002 was released, however, the Pentium 4 was suddenly the leader. After that AMD decided to join BAPCo in an attempt to have more influence over what it tested.

The company stayed in BAPCo through 2011 when, in a much-publicized blowup, it quit and walked away, accusing the test of being cooked for Intel’s CPUs. Although they didn’t say why, Nvidia and VIA left BAPCo at the same time.

BAPCo has primarily been made up of PC OEMs, along with Intel and other companies. At one point, even Apple joined BAPCo, as well as media organizations.

Sysmark uses off-the-shelf applications such as Photoshop, Premiere, Word, and Excel. It tasks the apps with a workload and then measures only the response time to the task.

AMD’s problems haven’t always been the apps, but the workloads. When it quit in 2011, the company told me at the time that it just didn’t think Sysmark exploited the “future” of computing and didn’t test the GPU.

Unsurprisingly, five years later, AMD’s complaints are the same. In the company’s video, Hampton says: “There is an excessive amount of high CPU tasking being done (in SYSMark). That is, the benchmark is really only evaluating the CPU side of the system.”

Benchmarking vs. benchmarketing

Part of the problem is the politics behind benchmarking—the not-so-fine line when it might turn into "benchmarketing," when numbers and tests are cherry-picked to make one product look better than the other. In this case, AMD is likely telling the truth that BAPCo 2014 1.5 focuses mostly on pure CPU performance. But isn’t that what it’s supposed to do? Measure the CPU performance?

From AMD’s perspective, no. The company has long insisted the future is about GPU computing. And, well, no surprise, AMD has also long enjoyed a performance advantage over Intel’s CPUs in graphics performance.

In fact, one of the tests AMD uses to show it’s behind Intel, but not that far behind, is PCMark 8 Work Accelerated. The test has two options: One uses OpenCL, which taps the GPU, while the other relies on just the CPU.

This begs the question: What was the score on that same laptop if the GPU wasn’t factored into it? Is there a little benchmarketing going on there from AMD?

You’d also have to ask yourself, how many common work or office apps today heavily rely on OpenCL? Few to none, I’d guess.

What we run and why

As someone who has burned too many hours coaxing Sysmark to run on systems, I was glad to leave it behind. I didn’t have any proof it was cooked, but it took forever to install and forever to run. In those days, it would often bomb out, meaning you wasted yet another day.

The methodology seemed very solid, though. For example, rather than “type” a document at 1,000 wpm (which many Office suite tests did and still do), Sysmark found a way to “type” at realistic human speeds while measuring only the response time. 

But in 2016, who the hell cares? In 1997 we cared about typing in Word or viewing a PowerPoint, but today any PC with an SSD, enough RAM and a reasonably fast CPU does the job for 90 pecent of work tasks. Most of us could not tell the difference between a dual-core Core i3 or 8-core Core i7 chip (with proper RAM and SSD)  for standard Office drone tasks.

That’s why I often use PCMark 8 Conventional, which runs on just the CPU, to illustrate that it really doesn’t matter that much. Here’s the result from a stack of laptops. My real-world use of all of these laptops—from Haswell to Skylake, and from Core M to Core i7—confirms that I can’t tell the difference in Google Chrome, Outlook, and Word from Surface Book to a ZenBook. Atom though, that’s another story.

hp_spectre_x2_pcmark_work_conventional-1

For most Office tasks, you’d be hard pressed to feel a difference between a Core i7 or Core m chip.

What you should pay attention to

The take away from this latest kerfuffle isn’t that benchmarks don’t matter, it’s that people—and testers—should apply and interpret them correctly. In Office, who cares if you have a Core i3 or FX CPU. In a video encode or a game though? Hell yes it matters. "

-----------------------------------

So Linus & Luke What's your intake on this matter ?

-M-

AMD, what are you doing?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

oh god, AMD.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

AMD, what are you doing?

welcome to the forums! And yes AMD what the heck?

There may be some merit in their accusations. This wouldn't be the first time Intel has done something like this.

when AMD can't compete they start spreading shit around - business as usual at AMD

notice how AMD doesn't have a issue with the software platform but with the payload

AMD notes there is a difference between AMD and Intel in PCMark 8, but what happens when this workload is wider? the difference widens too - this is where the difference in BAPCo goes

they accuse BAPCo for using "synthetic" benchmarking and uses PCMark8 as a counter example - ignoring to inform the viewer that PCMark8 is also a synthetic benchmark

when AMD can't compete they start spreading shit around - business as usual at AMD

notice how AMD doesn't have a issue with the software platform but with the payload

AMD notes there is a difference between AMD and Intel in PCMark 8, but what happens when this workload is wider? the difference widens too - this is where the difference in BAPCo goes

they accuse BAPCo for using "synthetic" benchmarking and uses PCMark8 as a counter example - ignoring to inform the viewer that PCMark8 is also a synthetic benchmark

So. I take it you have read and analysed the BAPco program code, compared it to sysmark code before typing up that post then

Other benchmarks demonstrate that AMD's CPU are worse overall, and real world programs and experiences show that their FX 8350 barely beats a 4GHz i5 2500K in multithreaded tasks, and gets flogged in all other areas. So from what i can gather AMD is just doing mud slinging this time. (Their old case with Intel and the P4 was a valid one-that should be remembered).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

There may be some merit in their accusations. This wouldn't be the first time Intel has done something like this.

Would they do it the second time? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Would they do it the second time? 

It's the same company who partnered with internet trolls and racists, so yes I think they would, ha.

Other benchmarks demonstrate that AMD's CPU are worse overall, and real world programs and experiences show that their FX 8350 barely beats a 4GHz i5 2500K in multithreaded tasks, and gets flogged in all other areas. So from what i can gather AMD is just doing mud slinging this time. (Their old case with Intel and the P4 was a valid one-that should be remembered).

And while you're right, you're also wrong.

Also, to the common consumer, if this is true, this is a PR attack against Amd as a brand more than fx performance

AMD is banking on Zen, if the average consumer associated amd the brand with bad performance then the average consumer wont have much faith in Zen.

If this is true it could be an preemtive strike from Intel

Multi-threaded apps show the FX 8350 being 10% above a i5 4460 and quite a bit better than Sandy.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

AMD is at it again...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

And while you're right, you're also wrong.

Also, to the common consumer, if this is true, this is a PR attack against Amd as a brand more than fx performance

AMD is banking on Zen, if the average consumer associated amd the brand with bad performance then the average consumer wont have much faith in Zen.

If this is true it could be an preemtive strike from Intel

You've just got to look at the predicted performance and the fact that AMD is not saying why their prediction should be believed (as in an example of the task(s), where Zen has the predicted performance gains). Zen might get close to Haswell, but again its too little too late just like their ARM SOC which are 28nm where other ARM and x86 SOC are going to 14nm if they aren't at it already.

PMSL

The video in question:

Not surprised really. AMD's been pissed at Sysmark since the dawn of time. They've quit BapCo saying the same thing, accusing them of Intel bias. Whether it's true or not is debatable.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Multi-threaded apps show the FX 8350 being 10% above a i5 4460 and quite a bit better than Sandy.

Which apps would those be? Because its certainly not in games and synthetics aren't included.

PMSL

I still have an i5 2400 system and an FX 6300 laying around. I could test this myself and come back with results if you guys wanted (hopefully I can find them).

But we're not talking about gaming here or editing. An i5 should be comparable to an FX chip in basic computing tasks, but on BAPCo, it's 50% slower, yet only 7% slower on PCMark and other benchmarks. If Zen is released and people see poor results on BAPCo, do you see how that can become an issue?

different benchmarks, different methods. I can get 1 benchmark to show an FX 8350 being as good, and another showing it being bad. Its all about the methods used in the benchmarking tools.

PMSL

Which apps would those be? Because its certainly not in games and synthetics aren't included.

Cinebench? Video rendering?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

welcome to the forums! And yes AMD what the heck?

Thank you

Cinebench? Video rendering?

Cinebench doesn't tell the whole story. If I can find it again, I know a mod did a comparison with various real world tasks and CPU.

PMSL

different benchmarks, different methods. I can get 1 benchmark to show an FX 8350 being as good, and another showing it being bad. Its all about the methods used in the benchmarking tools.

Which is sort of the point.

In Cinebench we can prove Haswell is about 70%faster core vs core. In games that advantage shrinks to around 30%.

Games are were we want the cpu to perform, so why doesn't the synthetic benchmark try to replicate those types of workload??

Instead the workload is geared more towards highly optimized specialized tasks that the given consumer product likely never will be doing in day to day life.

So why is it that these highly unrealistic tests are the ones we see marketed???

Because they show clear winners and losers.

Because of this the average consumer is steered away from secondary decision factors such as price to performance, features etc...

The tests just show a black and white result in an otherwise grey setting

Doing the right thing, they are even admiting in the video that intels cpu's should be better, but not by that much.

I'm just wondering if this is the right time to do it...

I'm on neither side here, but if this is true i hope AMD get some compensation for this shit.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi