AMD accuses BAPCo and Intel of cheating with Sysmark benchmarks

it's has to be priced above the 4690K around the 4790K which is 339.99 USD maybe even above that reaching close to the 5820K that the only way i see it. but if they do it which i highly doubt good,but they are taking a lost on it which isn't good for them.

Mental gymnastics lvels over 9000.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

How are they going to get haswell level 6 core & actual 6 core not that BS they did with FX & 8 core cpu priced below skylake without taking a lost, because the CEO said they're are tired of being know as the cheaper solution & AMD is not in a place to be taking losses. Now intel can which would put AMD in a bad spot. 

They moved from the architecture with the modules to the one Intel uses. If they're going to offer 6 and 8 cores at a competitive price provided it really has IPC of Haswell or a little higher, I see no reason they fail. But they need to deliver first and price those CPUs reasonably and carefully.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

They moved from the architecture with the modules to the one Intel uses. If they're going to offer 6 and 8 cores at a competitive price provided it really has IPC of Haswell or a little higher, I see no reason they fail. But they need to deliver first and price those CPUs reasonably and carefully.

Yeah since AMD is now using SMT over their previous CMT solution, which the latter has proven to be an inferior multithreading solution compared to SMT (AKA HyperThreading)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Yeah since AMD is now using SMT over their previous CMT solution, which the latter has proven to be an inferior multithreading solution compared to SMT (AKA HyperThreading)

I couldn't recall the names, that's what I meant though. Well, CMT was good at multithreading, where it failed spectacularly was single-threaded power, the architecture has some critical flaws (although it's not as bad as people make it to be, you can game perfectly fine on an FX CPU, I already proved that and can do it anytime)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I couldn't recall the names, that's what I meant though. Well, CMT was good at multithreading, where it failed spectacularly was single-threaded power, the architecture has some critical flaws (although it's not as bad as people make it to be, you can game perfectly fine on an FX CPU, I already proved that and can do it anytime)

True.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Mental gymnastics lvels over 9000.

How ? unless you know a way they can sell these below current haswell CPU's & make a profit don't reply to me again. 

I find it hard that they can make a profit off them with lower prices than current haswell CPU that will still be for sell when Zen releases.

I find it hard that they can make a profit off them with lower prices than current haswell CPU that will still be for sell when Zen releases.

I find it hard to believe that Haswell will still be in active production by the time Zen arrives.

Besides, provided they can supply the demand, they can make up for the low price with quantity, remember how the market works, it's business, they know what to do better than me or you

...they know what to do better than me or you

Well better than any of us quite frankly. Unless people have taken one or two marketing classes.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

How ? unless you know a way they can sell these below current haswell CPU's & make a profit don't reply to me again. 

Deflection levels over 9000.

You gave a nonsensical response and are trying to shift the onus on me to explain the nonsense you just came up with. According to you a theoretical 6core/6thread CPU would cost the same as a 6core/12thread CPU because...............reasons.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Well better than any of us quite frankly. Unless people have taken one or two marketing classes.

I'm quite familiar with the basics of how market and law work (went to a school that favored those things) and I have to tell you that people have no idea how deep marketing goes and how bad are they being manipulated by those companies :P

& a 5820K is $389 USD without an igpu, so tell me how are they going to do that for less than the 5820K without taking a lost, because i don't see it. The last thing AMD needs to to be selling cpu's at a lost. Corners will have to be cut in order to get a 6 core haswell level IPC CPU  for less than a 4690K.

Haswell is 22nm. Now the process nodes aren't directly comparable, but AMD should get significantly higher areal density at 14nm.

Also, the 5820K is a cut-down SKU. The full-featured Haswell-E costs a thousand dollars.

Deflection levels over 9000.

You gave a nonsensical response and are trying to shift the onus on me to explain the nonsense you just came up with. According to you a theoretical 6core/6thread CPU would cost the same as a 6core/12thread CPU because...............reasons.

Because they're not using the same methods they used with FX, that was a cheaper solution this isn't and will in fact cost more than the msrp of the 8350 which was $200. So excuse me for not expecting a $200 6 core cpu with the ipc of around haswell.

I find it hard to believe that Haswell will still be in active production by the time Zen arrives.

Besides, provided they can supply the demand, they can make up for the low price with quantity, remember how the market works, it's business, they know what to do better than me or you

vendors will still have and at the very least the used market will, even within the 1st year of haswell you could still get ivy Cpu's on newegg.

Because they're not using the same methods they used with FX, that was a cheaper solution this isn't and will in fact cost more than the msrp of the 8350 which was $200. So excuse me for not expecting a $200 6 core cpu with the ipc of around haswell.

The FX-8350 has a die size of 315mm2. Haswell (quad core with iGPU) is 177mm2. Haswell-E (8-core) is 356mm2. Given the smaller process node, AMD would be in a much improved situation. With a straight doubling of planar density, and assuming Zen cores (as well as IMC etc) are exactly the same size as Haswell cores, an 8-core (no iGPU) would be 178mm2. Ie. they could, in theory, sell an 8-core version at prices comparable with a Core i7-4790K. A cut-down 6-core version at Core i5 pricing would then be reasonable.

But that's all very, very speculative.

Intel didn't push Maxon to use it. Go ahead and look back over the case. Maxon used it of their own recognizance. Intel made it perfectly clear in the documentation from the word go. That decision was BS, but it was bad press for Intel. Otellini and that entire C-Suite are gone. Intel is not the same company it was in 2004. Jesus people you ask to give Lisa Su a chance even though she herself cancelled the Beema tablets but you think Kirzanich is pulling the same illegal crap just because the company label is Intel? Get bent.

I have reliable data. I have all the exact clock latencies for Excavator courtesy of Agner Fog's documentation and AMD's x86 instruction manual. Assuming the 40% IPC gain is right (and they will fall short as they always do; let's be honest here), then the absolute best they could do is 3% better than Haswell. An integer linear program is a proven optimizing program. I can be 100% confident in my claims because the data and methods are solid. This is the difference between a scientist and a charlatan. I can actually do the work.

Nope. We know the counts, the width, the IPC gain claim, and much more. We also know exactly which instructions are supported. After that it's merely a matter of data input to QEMU to get a virtual CPU and running benchmarks on a virtual Windows 7 instance for the bulk of benches and Ubuntu 14.04 instance for Linpack.

Honestly it's not difficult, just tedious to automate.

Patrick, dont be that naive. Intel made nothing clear. They were trying to exploit a grey area. It is quite clear Intel have learned their lesson, they are not microsoft afterall, and not try to exploit grey areas and be open things. I doubt beema in tablet space would have failed. Not because of not been competitive in performance metric, but rather due to Intels contra revenue program.

No Patrick, that is by no means reliable data. IPC is no reliable number, as it is a product of both the microarchitecture and the executable/stimulations running. You have neither the microarchitecture detail or the executable to even try extrapolate on anything. You might be 100% confident in your "numbers", but don't be surprised if zen could be able to exceed haswell by atleast 4% in one way or another.

Tell me how much more we "know" patrick. Because at this point, we know almost nothing.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Patrick, dont be that naive. Intel made nothing clear. They were trying to exploit a grey area. It is quite clear Intel have learned their lesson, they are not microsoft afterall, and not try to exploit grey areas and be open things. I doubt beema in tablet space would have failed. Not because of not been competitive in performance metric, but rather due to Intels contra revenue program.

No Patrick, that is by no means reliable data. IPC is no reliable number, as it is a product of both the microarchitecture and the executable/stimulations running. You have neither the microarchitecture detail or the executable to even try extrapolate on anything. You might be 100% confident in your "numbers", but don't be surprised if zen could be able to exceed haswell by atleast 4% in one way or another.

Tell me how much more we "know" patrick. Because at this point, we know almost nothing.

Oh FFS, IPC is a fixed number that is the average of the inverse of the instruction latencies across the ISA.

You have the microarch base of Excavator. After that it's tweaking numbers up and down and respecting theoretical limits and integrality. I'm talking about total IPC, not local IPC in a program, hence a wide array of benchmarks.

The executables are the existing benchmarks. The instructions are exactly the same between Zen and Broadwell anyway. No one's updated for any newer instructions.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Oh FFS, IPC is a fixed number that is the average of the inverse of the instruction latencies across the ISA.

You have the microarch base of Excavator. After that it's tweaking numbers up and down and respecting theoretical limits and integrality. I'm talking about total IPC, not local IPC in a program, hence a wide array of benchmarks.

The executables are the existing benchmarks. The instructions are exactly the same between Zen and Broadwell anyway. No one's updated for any newer instructions.

No, IPC is not a "fixed" number. IPC is workflow depended. No, you can't calculate the "total" or "local" IPC by doing the inverse of the average of the instruction latency. That doesn't even make any sense.

You have your base, but as I said, your numbers are by far not reliable enough to extrapolate anything on it.

You still haven't gotten the point? How do you know what AMD offered was "total" IPC and not "local" IPC? You don't. Even if so, you don't know how they obtained the numbers they did.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

No, IPC is not a "fixed" number. IPC is workflow depended. No, you can't calculate the "total" or "local" IPC by doing the inverse of the average of the instruction latency. That doesn't even make any sense.

You have your base, but as I said, your numbers are by far not reliable enough to extrapolate anything on it.

You still haven't gotten the point? How do you know what AMD offered was "total" IPC and not "local" IPC? You don't. Even if so, you don't know how they obtained the numbers they did.

IPC is instructions per cycle. It's the inverse of cycles per instruction, aka the instruction latency. The IPC of a processor is the average of the individual IPCs. It makes perfect sense. Part of my HPC class was IPC analysis.

I don't have to know how they derived their numbers. I can come up with the absolute best case scenario if that claim is true. That's the entire point of constraint satisfaction algorithms like integer linear programming. You're out of your league.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

IPC is instructions per cycle. It's the inverse of cycles per instruction, aka the instruction latency. The IPC of a processor is the average of the individual IPCs. It makes perfect sense. Part of my HPC class was IPC analysis.

I don't have to know how they derived their numbers. I can come up with the absolute best case scenario if that claim is true. That's the entire point of constraint satisfaction algorithms like integer linear programming. You're out of your league.

IPC is the inverse of CPI for a given workflow, that is not what I'm arguing. I'm saying you can't calculate the average latency of an entire instruction set and extentions, then inverse it, and think you got a reliable "total" IPC. You also can't calculate the average latency of each individual instruction in a given executable, then inverse it, and think you can calculate the "local" IPC. That doesn't work, and doesn't make sense with modern processors that can execute multiple instructions concurrently, out-of-order and speculative execution.

Yes, you do. You can't come up with any reliable data from a simple marketing statement. Don't fool yourself, mister marketing-whisperer.

Patrick, I'm not going to argue any further with you regarding if your data is reliable or not. It isn't.

IPC is the inverse of CPI for a given workflow, that is not what I'm arguing. I'm saying you can't calculate the average latency of an entire instruction set and extentions, then inverse it, and think you got a reliable "total" IPC. You also can't calculate the average latency of each individual instruction in a given executable, then inverse it, and think you can calculate the "local" IPC. That doesn't work, and doesn't make sense with modern processors that can execute multiple instructions concurrently, out-of-order and speculative execution.

Yes, you do. You can't come up with any reliable data from a simple marketing statement. Don't fool yourself, mister marketing-whisperer.

Patrick, I'm not going to argue any further with you regarding if your data is reliable or not. It isn't.

It is not limited to a given workload. A processor has its own overall IPC across all instructions. Yes you can. That is literally the starting point for bogomips. I spent two full semesters on this. You are wrong. My data is completely solid and so are the conclusions drawn from it. The absolute best Zen will do is 3% over Haswell per clock. It's not going to be any better than that, and in all likelihood it will be worse than that.

It is not limited to a given workload. A processor has its own overall IPC across all instructions. Yes you can. That is literally the starting point for bogomips. I spent two full semesters on this. You are wrong. My data is completely solid and so are the conclusions drawn from it. The absolute best Zen will do is 3% over Haswell per clock. It's not going to be any better than that, and in all likelihood it will be worse than that.

IPC is workload determined. There are no such thing as "total" IPC, because a processors performance vary with the workload. There are no determined ways to calculate one's "total"/"overall" IPC.

How is bogomips relevant in this discussion? It is completely irrelevant, as it is primarily affected by a single metric, and mostly unaffected by the rest.

How solid is your numbers, when AMD stated just yesterday:

"Zen"-based CPU development is on track to achieve greater than 40% IPC uplift from our previous generation

IPC is workload determined. There are no such thing as "total" IPC, because a processors performance vary with the workload. There are no determined ways to calculate one's "total"/"overall" IPC.

How is bogomips relevant in this discussion? It is completely irrelevant, as it is primarily affected by a single metric, and mostly unaffected by the rest.

How solid is your numbers, when AMD stated just yesterday:

Which means 40% and change. In other words. IDC.

You can have a program-specific IPC as well as an overall one.

Which means 40% and change. In other words. IDC.

You can have a program-specific IPC as well as an overall one.

So, you don't care about how "solid" your data is.

One could define one's own method of calculating a processors "overall" IPC, but it would mean jack-shit as another method might yield totally different result. Which is why marketing like that terminology so much.

Still don't understand why anyone puts any emphasis on benchmarks?  They are all like this.

I read this article as *Benchmarking software doesn't give real world performance metrics*...  And I have to think to myself, does anyone actually believe that in the beginning?

Edit: I am a AMD fan by nature, I feel like they push the industry forward more times than Intel does.  But, AMD is in the wrong here.  They should not have devoted ANY time and resources to benchmarks.  Its just the Ghz race all over again.  Quit focusing on benchmarks and just figure out ways to calculate programs better.  I don't care if my PC gets a score of .001 on a benchmark, as long as it does what I want it to do.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE