[Mini News] NVIDIA’s GTX 970 Most Popular Graphics Solution on Steam

AresKrieger

Steam has updated their hardware survey page as of December 2015 and revealed an interesting development. From some time, we have known that NVIDIA has dominated the discrete graphics market with a share around 80% with AMD’s share standing around 20%. The Steam hardware survey page gives a glimpse of the market as it shows which graphics cards are selling well and most popular among PC gamers.

It's even surpassed intels igpus, well I guess even prebuilts tend to have dedicated GPUs now

GeForce-GTX-970-Steam.jpg

Surprisingly, the GeForce GTX 970 even went past the HD Graphics 4000 GPU from Intel as it sees a monthly decline, indicating that most PC users (including casual and mainstream audiences) are now shifting away from integrated graphics cards in favor of discrete graphics cards. Almost every iGPU has seen a decline as shown in the hardware survey and is expected to continue as graphics cards become more powerful and mid-range hit the sweet-spot pricing.

One thing that we may be able to all agree on is the power of marketing, Nvidia knows how to do that really well and numbers like these display that openly, regardless of opinions of Nvidia otherwise

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-steam-survey/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5% isn't a lot really

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5% isn't a lot really

Hence the mini news, it's not really that big a deal, but I felt like mentioning it, considering just throwing it in general discussion but eh.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

5% isn't a lot really

it is when you consider how many millions of people use steam

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think going in blind, I would have expected GTX 960's and 970's to be within top 3-5

They are...

Quite Impressive how far Its risen. Still suprised that Integrated GPU's are In the top still.

It's still not surprising considering the way things are.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Does the HD 7900 also include the 280x ect or will the 280x be a separate entry?

To be fair, if I was to build my computer now I'd probably use a 970.

And the amount of different hardware combinations that are out there. 5% seems pretty good.

I wonder how this chart would look if you added together all GTX 900 series cards, all integrated graphics, all GTX 700 series, all AMD 200 series, etc.

They are...

I see that, but I was saying, if someone were to ask me, " what do you think are the top 5 video cards used for computers using Steam, 960 and 970 would be my first 2 answers. 3rd guess would probably be integrated graphics for all those people out there who buy laptops with integrated graphics just good enough to play stuff like league of legends.

Intel HD Graphics 4000.. 

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Now AMD, you'd have a graphics card in the same place if the Fury had been released at the same time and and the same price point.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I see that, but I was saying, if someone were to ask me, " what do you think are the top 5 video cards used for computers using Steam, 960 and 970 would be my first 2 answers.

Aye.

What do you mean?

I think @don_svetlio is talking about the strangle hold Nvidia has on the market currently

Now AMD, you'd have a graphics card in the same place if the Fury had been released at the same time and and the same price point.

Same price point? Fury destroys the GTX 970

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

This gives me hope that the Pascal 70 series card will have to be awesome too. I mean how can Nvidia not try to recreate the excitement of the 970 offering almost 780 Ti level performance for $330? They shifted the sweet spot from $150-$250 to $330 and sold a huge amount of 970s. Before the 970 did Nvidia ever sell so many gpus above $250? Now ~$300 is pushing on the new norm for PC gamers, look at how often the 970 and 390 get recommended. If they put out another $400 incremental upgrade like the 770 though, no way they recreate that excitement and keep people buying 70 series cards at the same rate.

5% isn't a lot really

Most PC gamers have low end systems. Very few go out and buy $200+ GPUs. It's a niche market. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Same price point? Fury destroys the GTX 970

Exactly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Makes me sad people still buy 970's :l

390 literally a better card for the money...

This is why we can't have nice things people, because too many consumers don't make informed purchases, they either fanboy it, or just buy what's popular without thinking.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5% isn't a lot really

It's because people also install steam on their laptops for chat, aswell as any other device they have that supports it. Thus not only the "gaming" systems show up.

Also

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/526208-lets-take-a-vote-fanboyism-allowed/page-?mode=show

Interesting contrast. This forum is very AMD-lopsided, contrary to reality. Echochamber hooooooo