What is the longest shift you have worked?

SansVarnic

I am finishing a 20 hour shift so I got curious...

(my longest is 52 hrs)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

My longest has ever been 16 hours and it was the last day of the week and it was overtime. Got paid the following day and seeing that 16 hours of overtime was amazing. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I am finishing a 20 hour shift so I got curious...

(my longest is 52 hrs)

How does one work a 52 hour shift? Forcing someone to do that sounds extremely illegal.

The longest in 12 one stretch is around 12-13 hours, I work 12 hours every weekend now actually.

the longest within 24 hours would be around 18hour. 

Intel i5 6600k

Powercolor AMD R9 390

A good 70% of us probably arent old enough to work

Yup.

I gotta say I spent all the time from 7AM to 9PM at school once. It was pretty rough.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

How does one work a 52 hour shift? Forcing someone to do that sounds extremely illegal.

At least in the US those kind of numbers are usually medical field. Dr, Nurses, first responders emergency personnel, and etc. 

Intel i5 6600k

Powercolor AMD R9 390

10 hours is the longest shift I've done which wasn't that bad. My shifts are usually 5 hours and I had to cover for somebody that was sick.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Yup.

I gotta say I spent all the time from 7AM to 9PM at school once. It was pretty rough.

For my Senior year of school I went to school from 8am until 9pm Mon-Fri. It sucked but it was so worth it. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

20 hour shift as a poll watcher during the last national elections...

might be up for a 72+ hour shift for the next national elections...

and that's without pay... at least they gave us food... but still...

16, translated 40 pages of medical bullshit that was due next morning, I overcharged the client and even got paid more than what I asked.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Join the Navy, first thing you learn is you have no rights. Second thing you learn is sleep is optional. Third thing is it good to be a civilian.

Computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZczbWZ ~$950

Computer w/ Peripherals: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/mZNNnQ ~$1650

Case: Blue s340 painted black CPU: 4790K OC to 4.5MHz Cooler: Dark Rock 3 GPU: Powercolor R9-290 MOBO: z97 MSI Gaming 5 RAM: Fury HyperX 2x8GB 1866Mhz PSU: Corsair rm750x Storage: 250GB 850 EVO & 1TB WD Black HeadPhones: HD598 SE Speakers: MAckie CR4 SE Keyboard: K70 Cherry-Brown Mouse: G9x Fans: Prolimatech Vortex 140mm

I would say the 50+'ers are liars.
But, self employment sometimes you get stung by a string of jobs back to back literally power sleeping in the car.
Medically afterwards you need a week off to reset.

There was one week this year I pulled this trick, only coming home to backup data and shower. 
Medically doing it all the time? guaranteed death. Coronary, blood sugar, car crash, take your pick they are all up for grabs when you push it.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

I would say the 50+'ers are liars.

But, self employment sometimes you get stung by a string of jobs back to back literally power sleeping in the car.

Medically afterwards you need a week off to reset.

There was one week this year I pulled this trick, only coming home to backup data and shower. 

Medically doing it all the time? guaranteed death. Coronary, blood sugar, car crash, take your pick they are all up for grabs when you push it.

Eh, I'm sure many are (BS that is), I didn't vote mostly cuz I've never worked more than a 10hr shift for a job, however I did code for a class without sleep for over 2 days (afterwards I was incoherent which is expected after 60+ hrs of no sleep I don't know the exact amount of time because hallucinations and memory lapses) but afterwards I slept for 18hrs, then the next day I slept for 13hrs so I'd agree you need time to recover.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

My longest actual "shift" at an employer would've been 22 hours, 6AM to 4AM working as management in banquets and conferencing in a large, luxury hotel. Had like a 3 hour break that involved a short nap in my apartment before another 12 hour shift. That was brutal, but the crazy thing in hospitality like that is if you do nearly 36 hours straight I would find me and my colleagues would get off an 18 hour shift, and then go out drinking until our next shift. The other crazy thing in high-end hospitality is the amount of drugs everyone is on.

Once I started my own company, those 18, 20 hour shifts became a fond memory of easier times. Early last year we spent a week around the clock trying to solve a very specific problem - me and one other engineer (and a larger team who were taking breaks). We finally decided that we'd just have to go home and sleep for a couple of days and the taxi was just dropping me off home (and I was in a stage where I was both hallucinating semi-asleep) when my phone rang and it was my other engineer who had a theory on how to solve the problem and we both went straight back to work (this was about 4.30AM on a Sunday) on and cracked it. Best feeling of my life.

Now my work is just as intense but I only work for 6 months of the year to keep my health in some sort of balance because it just becomes large amounts of fast food, drug dependency and heart problems.

6 Hours but I'm still in highschool

That's it? I worked from 5 AM to 9PM one time and I'm in High school. Pretty sure that even legal since I'm not 18.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

12 hrs, when I was washing dishes in a restaurant to save up to build my first pc.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

two days straight with just some powernaps.

Was a bit optimistic with the time one job would take :/

When you have your own business 20 hour days aren't uncommon. 

(Get up, work 8-10 hours. Spend the rest of the day in your "office")

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I once worked from 6pm-6am then went home, took a shower and put on a suit and went to court (i was in the middle of a trial), spent all day in court then pulled another 6-6 shift. Omg i felt so horrible  :wacko:

Did 11 hours yesterday (8:30 am in 7:30pm out) and the sick part is that my team completed 10 service tickets in a day (4 mine but some of the others were like twice as long to complete), so only 73 service tickets remain with like 15 piling up daily..fun!

It's not really that draining though: I'll take 10 or 11 hour shifts just fucking around with excel formulas and SQL queries than even just 6 hours taking calls on a call center, that was way worst, it's definitely not the time spend but what you're doing.

-------

Current Rig

-------

At least in the US those kind of numbers are usually medical field. Dr, Nurses, first responders emergency personnel, and etc. 

But you are bound to make mistakes with such long shifts, especially when dealing with sick and injured people this does not sound responsible at all and especially in the US a lawsuit waiting to happen.

As for myself the longest was a 16 hour shift and I know for a fact that the last 6 I was allot less productive and made tons of errors (part of which I was again correcting in that same shift) and left work with a massive throbbing... headache. Having a job where I need to be focused and concentrated long shifts like that are so not worth it, but the work had to be submitted before the end of the day (and we managed to do it with 15 minutes to spare).

I did a 12 hour shift but it was more like 16 because there was 2 hours of prep before and 2 hours after of counting takings, literally handling tens of thousands of pounds was fun and disgusting.