Best "upscaling" (FSR/XeSS/Anti-aliasing) settings

PowerPCFan

So I just got Farming Simulator 2022 for free with the Epic Games 100% off promotion. It doesn't run great on my 6700 XT at 1440p. 

For graphics settings and upscaling, I have these options:

Anti-aliasing options:

- None

- TAA

- FSR3 Anti-aliasing

Upscaling options:

- FSR 1

- FSR 3 (If FSR 3 is enabled, you can also enable FSR 3 frame generation)

- Intel XeSS

Quality presets:

Low

Medium

High

Very High

I've been using TAA, XeSS, 90% 3D resolution, Low preset, but I only get 50-60 FPS and it stutters a lot.

I got to over 100 FPS with a lower 3D res, FSR 3 Frame Gen enabled but the low 3d resolution made it look terrible. 

So what is the best combination of upscaling, anti-aliasing, 3d resolution, Vsync, FPS caps, etc, that will give me the most FPS without looking like absolute trash? Should I try enabling the new AFMF (AMD Fluid Motion Frames) in my Adrenalin control panel? 

I love making PCPartPicker lists.

If I answer your question (or someone else), please mark it as the answer. 

Please refresh before replying, I like to edit my posts.

PC SPECS: Intel i5-12600K, RX 6700 XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

3 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Anti-aliasing options:

- None

- TAA

- FSR3 Anti-aliasing

FSR3 might provide better perforamce but can also worsen the sharpness, you need to test if you see a difference.

4 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Upscaling options:

- FSR 1

- FSR 3 (If FSR 3 is enabled, you can also enable FSR 3 frame generation)

- Intel XeSS

FSR3 with FSR 3 frame generations would be the wisest option for maintaining quality and improving performance. Intel XeSS is not as good option.

5 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Quality presets:

Low

Medium

High

Very High

Start with the Medium or High preset and adjust individual settings from there. Very High settings can significantly impact performance without always providing a noticeable improvement in visual quality.

Enable AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) in your Adrenalin control panel and test its impact on performance and visual quality in the game.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

4 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

FSR3 might provide better perforamce but can also worsen the sharpness, you need to test if you see a difference.

FSR3 with FSR 3 frame generations would be the wisest option for maintaining quality and improving performance. Intel XeSS is not as good option.

Start with the Medium or High preset and adjust individual settings from there. Very High settings can significantly impact performance without always providing a noticeable improvement in visual quality.

Enable AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) in your Adrenalin control panel and test its impact on performance and visual quality in the game.

I was messing around and achieved 200 FPS and the game still looks amazing, but it stutters and drops down to 70-90 FPS which is really annoying. I'll try what you said

Favorite cheap but great tech: AMD RX 6700 XT, Yunzii YZ75 Keyboard, Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

I was messing around and achieved 200 FPS and the game still looks amazing, but it stutters and drops down to 70-90 FPS which is really annoying. I'll try what you said

Newest drivers and windows updates? Disabled V sync? Try to verify game files. Sounds like software issue

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

There is no point using AFMF if you have FSR3 FG as they share the same basic technology but FSR3 FG integration with game should work better as more information is available for it.

If you don't use FG do try XeSS and FSR3 upscaling options. They do look different and I found XeSS to be more temporally stable - less flickering of fine details that is a bigger problem with FSR family. It might vary from game to game implementation so you'll have to see it for yourself.

Frame drops could just be game things you have no control over, or it could be a sign of insufficient CPU time. Avoid anything else running that could be getting in the way.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, SavageNeo said:

Newest drivers and windows updates? Disabled V sync? Try to verify game files. Sounds like software issue

1 hour ago, porina said:

There is no point using AFMF if you have FSR3 FG as they share the same basic technology but FSR3 FG integration with game should work better as more information is available for it.

If you don't use FG do try XeSS and FSR3 upscaling options. They do look different and I found XeSS to be more temporally stable - less flickering of fine details that is a bigger problem with FSR family. It might vary from game to game implementation so you'll have to see it for yourself.

Frame drops could just be game things you have no control over, or it could be a sign of insufficient CPU time. Avoid anything else running that could be getting in the way.

Here are 2 videos of the stuttering, unlisted on my YouTube page, links:

(they posted as shorts since they’re under 1 minute and vertical)

Its hard to see on a 30fps phone camera but you can see if you look closely, and 2nd video shows frametime graph

4 minutes ago, PowerPCFan said:

Here are 2 videos of the stuttering, unlisted on my YouTube page, links:

(they posted as shorts since they’re under 1 minute and vertical)

Its hard to see on a 30fps phone camera but you can see if you look closely, and 2nd video shows frametime graph

hmm. Thats odd. Do the stutters happen with defautl game settings?

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

hmm. Thats odd. Do the stutters happen with defautl game settings?

I'll test later... I get stutters in Fortnite too but I think Fortnite stutters on most PCs lol

1 minute ago, PowerPCFan said:

I'll test later... I get stutters in Fortnite too but I think Fortnite stutters on most PCs lol

Yeah, fortnite stutters on mine too;

Also if your game is on harddrive that migght be the reason. For larger games using a SSD is the bets choice

45 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Yeah, fortnite stutters on mine too;

Also if your game is on harddrive that migght be the reason. For larger games using a SSD is the bets choice

I only have an SSD : D

From your 2nd video especially, this looks like an absolutely classic CPU bottleneck. That 12600k combined with DDR4 can really struggle in some scenarios. Low 1% and 0.1% lows especially, often points to CPU bottlenecks. But seeing how bad it freezes when it tries to load details from new area, it might as well be a storage problem. Is that SSD by any chance SATA and not NVME?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

2 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

From your 2nd video especially, this looks like an absolutely classic CPU bottleneck. That 12600k combined with DDR4 can really struggle in some scenarios. Low 1% and 0.1% lows especially, often points to CPU bottlenecks. But seeing how bad it freezes when it tries to load details from new area, it might as well be a storage problem. Is that SSD by any chance SATA and not NVME?

Could be CPU... probably not storage, I have this SSD, PCIe Gen 4 and NVMe: Amazon link

Screenshot of crystaldiskinfo: 

image.png.f795e08282751a87cec296c36459f2df.png

Add core utilization in Afterburner so you can monitor all cores of the CPU. The weird thing is that neither the CPU nor the GPU are getting proper utilization. GPU sitting at just 70% when it should be at close to 100%. With CPU basically locked at 20% i think only few of the cores are actually getting hammered.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

On 5/27/2024 at 10:27 AM, QuantumSingularity said:

Add core utilization in Afterburner so you can monitor all cores of the CPU. The weird thing is that neither the CPU nor the GPU are getting proper utilization. GPU sitting at just 70% when it should be at close to 100%. With CPU basically locked at 20% i think only few of the cores are actually getting hammered.

Alright, so I added all "cores" to Afterburner... My 12600K has hyper-threading on the 6 P-cores, and no hyper-threading on the 4 E-cores, which comes out to 16 CPUs in the Afterburner overlay. If I understand correctly, the top 12 should be the hyper-threaded P cores, and the bottom 4 are the E-cores which might not be fully utilized.

here's a new video with all CPUs - ignore the LTT waterbottle and the messy desk, I'm currently redoing my setup:

youtu.be/GRNve-qKD2M

It looks like some cores have low utilization but is that just because of hyper threading? Also the stuttering seems to have gotten better in the video, but it's not, when I'm actually playing the game it's really bad but I can't play the game normally while holding my phone.

What's also interesting is that the stuttering goes away when I'm in a vehicle...

On 5/26/2024 at 4:04 PM, SavageNeo said:

You can run FSR3 alongside Radeon Image Sharpening to increase the overal sharpness again.