What is the longest shift you have worked?

SansVarnic

School is work ;)

Sometimes I wish I could go back to my school days, I never realized how much spare time I had until after I started a full time job, and at that point I had to drop so many of my hobby's as I had no time for them. :(

Work can be more than a paycheck, sense of accomplishment maybe? I do.

Very true, I enjoy my work and cannot imagine doing something for that much time a day that I don't enjoy even if I get a massive paycheck at the end of the month.

I usually work 9 hours Monday through Thursday and 8 hours on the first Friday of the pay period. Then the second Friday I have off. Works great when it lines up on a holiday and you can get a 5 day weekend for 1 days worth of leave.

I have worked 12 hour back shifts though but that was more boring than anything else. Not much to do besides go exploring or watch YouTube videos.

Right I do 5 shift weeks.

First week

Second week

Third week

Fouth week

Fifth week

I get basically half the year off its really nice.

didn't they attest his ass now?

Edit: yup.

Its probably all a show thou, He'll probably be out and exploiting Ill people for profits again soon

He's loaded. People that rich don't really go to jail in the USA.

If he DOES go to jail though, I'll be impressed, but he should have been arrested for raising the price of life saving medication and charged for putting people's life in danger.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

48H shift during Xmas 2009 working Tech Support for an ISP. 6 calls and no on-site. Rest was (bad) movies, pizza and a metric buttload of eggnog

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Work can be more than a paycheck, sense of accomplishment maybe? I do.

Volunteer work, without pay.

Do it myself, probably the most rewarding. Now if I didn't have these bills to pay would be great!

Another thing most people dont consider, is zero hour contracts or juggling multiple jobs as an employee.

People are asking if its legal to do such a long stint of work, as I understand it yes, but not for a single employer and in some jobs where you have to record time (transport is a class example) then its illegal.

Did my stint juggling multiple jobs on zero hours. 

3 Years after leaving that world should see the meds I am on.

For people in that position, 50+ hours of dedication to work non stop is common because you pack it in like crazy not knowing when the next job will come in. Might do the equivalent of 3 months worth of hours in 1 because you wont have any work the following 2 (or rather will be too ill to do anything).

So first job, 8 hours, finish at 3, next job is at 5 and is an hour and halfs drive away. Do a night shift, finishing at 3 and your next stop is at 5am but is a 30 minute drive away so you get there and kip in your car. Thats a 15 hour day and you eat while working and sleep on your lunch break. Life becomes a mix of quick naps, convenience eating and boosting yourself with caffeine drinks to keep going. Next job only offers 3 hours but its an advantageous one as its "on call" so you can rest and hope nobody actually needs you to do anything. Next job is an hour away, you plan a route that has a drive through so you can again eat on the go because you wont get a break in 8 hours.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

I work as a consultant and I just got back from sick leave 2 months ago because of a "burnout". Too much stress, too much anxiety, unbalanced diabete, trying to prove myself and get a decent raise. I was working 10h+ a day, 6-7 days a week, basically 60-80h a week. I did that non-stop for almost 2 years. It was to the point that the only time I was seeing my girlfriend was when she was asleep.

I came back home to my girlfriend one evening exhausted, it was like 10PM or close to, my phone rang as I enter my appartment. It was my boss asking me to go somewhere to hookup Internet the following morning at 6 and I needed to be there at 6. It was 1h30 away from home. so I had to leave at 4:30AM. I hung up on him without saying anything, looked up at my girlfriend and I started crying. I knew at that moment that I reached a breaking point. I went to the clinic the following morning, explained my situation to the doctor and she put me immediately on sick leave. I was stopped for 3 months.

I felt so guilty for leaving work, people made fun of my situation at the office because, you know, you are "weak" minded. The first month, I literally slept 18h /day. i had to take anti-depressant because the doctor was not sure if I was suffering depression or just burnout. Even after the 3 months I was feeling that I did not completely recover but bills were starting to pill up.

since I came back, even if my co-workers are still making fun of me, I'm now doing 40h /week and that's it. I'm feeling much better, my relationship is going well and my health is back.

TL;DR: Don't overwork yourself and stay healthy. You got only one life, make good use of it. :)

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

I slept for 14 hours once?

Haha, but really. About 10-11 hours. Pretty exhausting.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Right I do 5 shift weeks.

First week

Second week

Third week

Fouth week

Fifth week

I get basically half the year off its really nice.

I'm lost, this makes zero this sense to me. Explain?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm lost, this makes zero this sense to me. Explain?

Sounds like Monday through Thursday are 8 hour shifts and Friday through Sunday are 12 hour shifts. So working an entire week straight, but you get the next week off. Sounds like something an oil company would do.

My longest was about 14 hours during a summer job with a 10 minute break around the 8 hour mark. That wasn't really a big deal though since I normally worked 10 hour days.

28 hours or something close to that. started working at 5 in the morning at a farm, my shift there ended at about 7 in the evening. i ate dinner. then went over to wash the dishes in a restaurant till 2 am. went home, ate breakfast. started my 5 o'clock shift at the farm again till 7 that evening. slept for a solid 14 hours after that!

I always love the work that I do but sometimes I hate my job. This weekend was cruddy but necessary, one of my Officers uncle passed away so I covered her shift.

Fri: 1200-2400

Sat: 0000-0830 / 1600-2400

Sun: 0000-0800

36Hrs. Ehh.

*/

edit

I know its a 20 an a 16 back to back but at least I'm not doing another 50.....

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours, because I am not as hardcore as you guys

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 hours, because I am not as hardcore as you guys

"Obedience brings victory, Victory is Life."  :P

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

around 28 hours.

started at 16:00 and was done around 20:00 the next day.

So many things I could write here... things like this.