BlackBerry bashes Apple for protecting criminals’ privacy

Article Source - Techno Buffalo: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/12/17/blackberry-bashes-apple-for-protecting-criminals-privacy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I stumbled upon this article whilst roaming my Facebook tech news feed. 

Opinion: I think if someone is convicted of committing a crime or accused of one, we should have at least some way of delving into personal information on any device they own in order to find out what we need to. Ultimately , to protect the community. I put 'personal' in bold because I want to also establish that this is extremely ethically wrong.

Apple puts a big emphasis on user privacy, and most of the time that works out for the best.

The article only goes through one scenario, and the CEO of Blackberry, John Chen takes the opportunity to call out Apple on this.

Apple also noted that any device running iOS 8 or higher can’t be unlocked by anyone (including Apple) without the owner’s passcode, though in this case the phone was actually running iOS 7.

CEO Chen replies with..

We are indeed in a dark place when companies put their reputations above the greater good,

​In conclusion, it's extremely hard to strike a perfect balance between public safety and infringement of personal privacy. 

Those who give up privacy for protection deserve neither.

Then again, I somewhat agree with Blackberry, since access was wanted/granted only AFTER a warrant was received.

I will agree with you however, that the fine line between the two is indeed a fine one.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

i agree, but you didn't come up with that sentence ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Im going to agree with BB

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Correction*

Those who forfeit privacy through criminal acts, deserve no protection.

Apple needs to hand over data from criminals if supplied with a warrant, that's just that. Just like any court can issue a warrant to search private belongings.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Those who forfeit privacy through criminal acts, deserve no protection.

The actual quote is: "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." but eh, who cares. Source

aPhghYM.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

apple is totally right on this...no one should have access to your data even if your the worst criminal in history

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

The actual quote is: ""Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." but eh, who cares.

Wasn't trying to provide you with the actual quote...

Just a show that your stance while not wrong, has flaws. And to stand by it means you stand by the statement that no court issued warrants should be upheld. Its the same thing, they were issued warrants for personal information, apple refused. Think of the consequences if you had a warrant pressed against you, and your mother/father refused the police entrance to the property. They'd end up in jail, apple is no different.

By committing a criminal act and being sentenced by a court, you are forfeiting your privacy, and freedom.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yeah, come to us instead we will totally surrender all information to the government that we know cheats by using secret courts to circumvent the legal system, because fuck terrorists!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wasn't trying to provide you with the actual quote...

Just a show that your stance while not wrong, has flaws. And to stand by it means you stand by the statement that no court issued warrants should be upheld. Its the same thing, they were issued warrants for personal information, apple refused. Think of the consequences if you had a warrant pressed against you, and your mother/father refused the police entrance to the property. They'd end up in jail, apple is no different.

By committing a criminal act and being sentenced by a court, you are forfeiting your privacy, and freedom.

Oh I see, I completely misunderstood.

What im saying is the exact opposite of anarchy. I'm saying that we need laws, and for apple to refuse to adhere to those laws, they need to be penalized just like any other.

Apple was issued warrants for search and seizure of personal property they were in possession of. They refused. They consequently had nothing done against them.

If we compare that to what would happen if a person was issued warrants for search and seizure of personal belongings connected to a crime.

[Joe] was issued warrants for S&S of personal property he was in possession of. [Joe] refused. [Joe] spent the next 6 months in a county jail, and was levied several thousand dollars in fines.

When you commit a crime, and are found guilty by a sanctioned court, then you have forfeited your freedom as a citizen, and no longer receive protections of property. Apple has no right to stop any government from fulfilling those warrants.

Do you see the difference? Apple, had pretty much nothing done. [Joe] was penalized.

There's no difference between data, and personal belongings, because data is a personal belonging. Apple needs to adhere to the same laws as everyone else when it comes to warrants.

Then again, I somewhat agree with Blackberry, since access was wanted/granted only AFTER a warrant was received.

I will agree with you however, that the fine line between the two is indeed a fine one.

i agree, but you didn't come up with that sentence ;)

Benjamin Franklin (paraphrased)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

What im saying is the exact opposite of anarchy. I'm saying that we need laws, and for apple to refuse to adhere to those laws, they need to be penalized just like any other.

Apple was issued warrants for search and seizure of personal property they were in possession of. They refused. They consequently had nothing done against them.

If we compare that to what would happen if a person was issued warrants for search and seizure of personal belongings connected to a crime.

[Joe] was issued warrants for S&S of personal property he was in possession of. [Joe] refused. [Joe] spent the next 6 months in a county jail, and was levied several thousand dollars in fines.

When you commit a crime, and are found guilty by a sanctioned court, then you have forfeited your freedom as a citizen, and no longer receive protections of property. Apple has no right to stop any government from fulfilling those warrants.

Do you see the difference? Apple, had pretty much nothing done. [Joe] was penalized.

There's no difference between data, and personal belongings, because data is a personal belonging. Apple needs to adhere to the same laws as everyone else when it comes to warrants.

Honestly with the way things are becoming "crimes" today, I prefer no one can access it.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Honestly with the way things are becoming "crimes" today, I prefer no one can access it.

I can at least agree on that.

However, laws are laws, and until it is changed its our duty to uphold them, and abide by them.

I don't see how's it's right to force Apple, or anyone/company, to assist in police/government affairs.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

I can at least agree on that.

However, laws are laws, and until it is changed its our duty to uphold them, and abide by them.

Apple can't break its encryption security for police. While it should be available with a warrant, if Apple makes backdoors to help people with warrants it won't be long before those backdoor's will be used without warrants (or even by 3rd parties).  When you break encryption for one person, you break it for everyone.  With everything, it may seem immediately beneficial, but once you open the door, there's no shutting it. Same applies for freedom of speech, privacy, NSA etc... A smart man counts the all the costs before taking action.

and if someone's phone data is the only incriminating evidence the jury should think again before condemning the defendant

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Apple can't break its encryption security for police. While it should be available with a warrant, if Apple makes backdoors to help people with warrants it won't be long before those backdoor's will be used without warrants (or even by 3rd parties).  When you break encryption for one person, you break it for everyone.  With everything, it may seem immediately beneficial, but once you open the door, there's no shutting it. Same applies for freedom of speech, privacy, NSA etc... A smart man counts the all the costs before taking action.

and if someone's phone data is the only incriminating evidence the jury should think again before condemning the defendant

Apple could 100% break its own encryption. They just don't want to mate. And I never said that the laws work, or are perfect. What I said was that laws are laws, and you must abide by them, apple should be no different than anyone else.

Apple could 100% break its own encryption. They just don't want to mate. And I never said that the laws work, or are perfect. What I said was that laws are laws, and you must abide by them, apple should be no different than anyone else.

I think you missed my point, IF apple uses an algorithm with a master key, it 1. wouldn't be true encryption and 2. it's only a matter of time before either that key is used by people without warrant or by a third party.  If you only have to find one master key, any government/organization/hacker group, could wreck havoc on millions of users unchecked.  Disregarding that, who do you allow to break the encryption?  There are many countries where apple products are used where people could be prosecuted for things we would not agree with (freedom of speech in china for example)  If you break encryption for one government, who do you allow to use the master key(s)? Whose laws does an international corporation follow?  Will apple have to setup courts to decide which law enforcement groups/countries get aide in encryption cracking?  In my opinion it would be the lesser of two evils for apple to keep protecting encryption.  

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

If Apple cares so much about privacy:

Who was in possession of all thoes nudes of jennifer lawrence and all thoes other Hollywood stars?

It was in the icloud account where they stored their photos.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I cagree with Apple on this. No one forfeits his privacy just because he committed a crime (the only one I'd be willing to accept is mass murder/terrorism) and asking them to break into a customer's device is bad rep. Furthermore, what sorts of "crimes" warrant the removal of someone's privacy and rights?

Get a warrant (and then do it yourself) or you get nothing.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Few years ago Obama used himself stripped BlackBerry and I think he gave Merkel same one after the scandal as all of sudden she started using BlackBerry.

Whats this nonsense shift now? :D

BlackBerry Government-Secure Smartphones for $2,770: Why President Obama Still Uses BlackBerry

First Posted: Mar 11, 2014 04:05 PM EDT

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/8683/20140311/blackberry-government-secure-model-2-770-why-president-obama-still.htm

I cagree with Apple on this. No one forfeits his privacy just because he committed a crime (the only one I'd be willing to accept is mass murder/terrorism) and asking them to break into a customer's device is bad rep. Furthermore, what sorts of "crimes" warrant the removal of someone's privacy and rights?

Get a warrant (and then do it yourself) or you get nothing.

If they has a warrant is it possible that Apple refused to break into user phone ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Few years ago Obama used himself stripped BlackBerry and I think he gave Merkel same one after the scandal as all of sudden she started using BlackBerry.

Whats this nonsense shift now? :D

BlackBerry Government-Secure Smartphones for $2,770: Why President Obama Still Uses BlackBerry

First Posted: Mar 11, 2014 04:05 PM EDT

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/8683/20140311/blackberry-government-secure-model-2-770-why-president-obama-still.htm

Blackberry is still providing privacy and is committed to buy it doesn't extend to criminals.

They also got out of Pakistan because they refused to give the gov a backdoor.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ